[REMOVE ADS]

I won't last a day-diana ross

So sue me,the darn thing is cute and diana does a great job with it,my fav of her solo work.

A great version of a great song! Funny - everybody and their mother recorded it, and no one had an actual hit [[that I know of) ...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    A great version of a great song! Funny - everybody and their mother recorded it, and no one had an actual hit [[that I know of) ...
    Are you kidding me???? You never heard anyone had an actual hit with it??? The Carpenters took their single to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles in the spring of 1974.

Well this is why i love sdf,i never knew anyone else sang it.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that, unless you were a jazz head or a metal freak in the 70s, that you didn't know that the Carpenters had a hit single with it.

"I Won't Last a Day Without You" is a song with lyrics written by Paul Williams and music composed by Roger Nichols. Williams released his version as a single in 1973, but garnered only minor success. Maureen McGovern recorded the song and also released it as a single in 1973 [[and included on her album The Morning After), with results similar to those of Williams. It became a hit single for The Carpenters in 1974, reaching number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number one on the easy listening chart,.[1] "I Won't Last a Day Without You" was The Carpenters' ninth number one on the Easy Listening chart.
    In 1972, Richard Carpenter had learned of a new song from his partners, Paul Williams and Roger Nichols, who had already contributed "We've Only Just Begun" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" to the Carpenters's repertoire and catalogue of chart selections, and he included it on their A Song for You album. Shortly after, Diana Ross heard it and included it on her album Touch Me in the Morning the following year. In 1974, Barbra Streisand included the song on her album ButterFly. Andy Williams released a version in 1974 on his album, The Way We Were. Mel Torme also sang a version of the song, culminating in holding one of the longest last notes in showbiz history, with a full six and a half bars.

There were many artists that covered IWLADWY but Diana's version is tops for me - I love just about every cut on the TMITM album! Second and third would have to be Bab's & the Carpenters' version, which were also great.

In addition to those mentioned above, Ms. Bassey and Johnny Mathis also recorded IWLADWY. Al Wilson cut a version as a medley with "Let Me Be The One", another great tune that was covered by a slew of artists, including Diana.

Positioned perfectly on "Touch Me In The Morning", Diana was officially the Queen of pop and then Motown went a different direction.

I think it was always expected this should have been a much bigger hit than it was. The carpenters were a little bit over exposed by that time as well. So I think the fact it was a hit got over looked somewhat

Touch Me was a hit, Diana was having babies and Motown was making movies. There were a lot of things lost in the shuffle.

Smile i won't last a day without you

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Touch Me was a hit, Diana was having babies and Motown was making movies. There were a lot of things lost in the shuffle.
    I also thought this could have been a good single for Diana. Here in the UK of course we got "all of my life" as the follow up single and it went top 10 so i guess Motown UK did a good job there but iwladwy was a lost opportunity.

P.S. This is my first post on this forum. After being an avid reader and viewer of the forum for several years i thought it about time i did some contributing.
    You guys feel like friends to me and i hope i can become a useful and interesting member.

The song was on the B-side of "Touch Me In The Morning", so, someone at the label probably had the idea that it was a good single.

supremester Guest
    Hi Bluebrock - glad to have you!. This is the only album in Ross' 55 year career that I can't say for certain wha the best singles would be. All of side1 had hit potential. I think I would have followed up with We Need You, then All Of My Life, then, Brown Baby/Save The Children, then Leave A Little Room. Yes, I'd have done all 5 if they all were doing OK. It's a tough call, but IWLADWY would not make the cut, however, had it been on the next album, it would have been the follow up to Last Time I Saw Him as it definitely had potential, I just think the others were even stronger. Did Last Time hit in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I also thought this could have been a good single for Diana. Here in the UK of course we got "all of my life" as the follow up single and it went top 10 so i guess Motown UK did a good job there but iwladwy was a lost opportunity.

P.S. This is my first post on this forum. After being an avid reader and viewer of the forum for several years i thought it about time i did some contributing.
    You guys feel like friends to me and i hope i can become a useful and interesting member.

Last time I saw him was only a minor uk hit. It reached the top 40 as did "love me" the follow up but for me he whole LTISH album was a hurried and unbalanced effort much like "everything is everything". It was frustrating to follow such a strong album with a weak one but it seemed to happen more than one in the 70's with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Freda Payne also did a version closely based on the Diana arrangement on her Payne & Pleasure LP in '74.

So she did sansradio. I had totally forgotten about that. A good version too as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    So she did sansradio. I had totally forgotten about that. A good version too as I recall.
    Yep! As much as I revere Freda, though, Diana's got the edge for me. Welcome, by the way!

"I Won't Last A Day Without You" has become a modern day classic. It's a beautiful song and I don't recall it being done badly by anyone. Of all the many versions I have heard I give the edge to Miss Ross' ethereal version, with Shirley Bassey's more strident interpretation coming in a close second. Streisand also does a very nice rendering.

supremester Guest
    I'll never understand the thought process behind dumping her best album ever [[to date) after just one single in favor of an LP with no songs that could hit still SHM after 42 years. QUOTE=Bluebrock;280423]Last time I saw him was only a minor uk hit. It reached the top 40 as did "love me" the follow up but for me he whole LTISH album was a hurried and unbalanced effort much like "everything is everything". It was frustrating to follow such a strong album with a weak one but it seemed to happen more than one in the 70's with Diana.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! Everyone on here has been very friendly so far!