[REMOVE ADS]

Rock Hall announces 2011 inductees Wednsday morning.

Current rumor says Tom Waits, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper [[or The Alice Cooper Band depending on which rumor you read), Dr. John and Darlene Love will be inducted.

Jack Holzman and Art Rupe will be co-recepiants of the Ahmet Ertegun Award, and Leon Russell will get the "Award For Musical Excellence". This is what was the Sideman catagory in previous years.

The official announcement comes Wednsday morning. Remember, you heard it here second......

I really hope that it is true about Darlene Love. She really deserves it, IMHO.

Can't argue with any of the selections, if those are indeed the ones.

Best,

Mark

I am a huge Darlene Love fan I have her book and I know she sang with the Blossoms, and background for Johnny Rivers records and Phil Spector and the Crystals and so on. However what has this woman done to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? There are some who are more deserving I am glad she is in there but why? She was mainly a background singer.

The speculation was correct. That is the list of people who will be inducted into the RRHoF. Although I somewhat disagree with Stephanie, she does make a good point. I do have some argument with the group. Not the people themselves, but the group that they're nominated in. I've got some [[paid) work to do, but I should have my opinions in blog form later today. I expect an argument from you folks.

Darlene should be in some kind of category like sidemen but then if you have background singers that are worthy we could put in Clydie King, The Andantes, Ellie Greenwich and Marnie Nixon and many more. I LOVE Darlene Love and I look at her as an ICON but Donovan should be in there before Miss Love. I think she is in there because of Paul Shaffer and Bruce Springsteen to be honest with you because they are Spectorphiles. They love Spector the way we love the Supremes. I guess since the Ronettes are in they had to push for Darlene.

I have heard of Tom Waits but was not familiar with his work. Here is his bio
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Waits

Why is he in the RRHOF? Couldnt they have put Joe Tex in? RRHOF has lost credibility with me Joan Jett [[I think she is in correct me if Im wrong) should be in before Patty Smyth where the hell is Heart? Before her? If they want to talk about women of influence they should have Goldie and the Gingerbreads before Joan Jett and Patty Smyth or the Deadly Nightshade. It took them long enough to get the forgotten Shirelles in and god to we have to wait for all of the Marvelettes to pass? I still dont know how the Talking Heads got in there I would have put in Tommy James and the Shondells or Paul Revere and the Raiders before them. Glad to see Neil Diamond got his due most of his Brill Building pals are in.

Stephanie......
    ......I agree to a point. What the Hall needs is a "Veteran's Committee" to cover those artists whose careers may have been forgotten. As to Tom Waits and Dr. John, I have a problem, not with their induction, but what part of the hall they're being inducted into. Also have a problem with Leon Russell, but not with his induction. It's explained here.....

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/weblog...011-inductees/

I'm expecting a nasty phone call from my brother in about 20 minutes......

Well written Doug! I have no problem with non Rock acts because none of the Stax or Motown groups would have been in. I KNEW what the RRHOF meant when they were putting in people like the Supremes, Four Tops, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and others. Not necessarily rock but hit records and influence because the Beach Boys [[who are of the most deserving that are in thank god) are not rock. Now where the problem lies ia as you said the category. I love the Ronettes but for various reasons I wont go into the Shangrilas deserve to be there before they do [[dont throw the tomatoes). Spector has more of an influence than what people think behind bars or Love or the Ronettes wouldnt even be there he cant stop anyone now and to think HE got in in the late 90s. What I find interesting about this whole thing [[for those who care) is anytime you go to a musical blog, or forum and they are discussing this [[and I mean forums where the concentration is not soul music) the three names that always come up are Rush, Deep Purple and the Moody Blues more than anyone else! I will sometimes see Chicago but not that much. Rush and Deep Purple have had a huge influence on Rock and I never seen there names mentioned only amongs rock fans! Its incredible.

While I was reading Yahoo and the comments people were making about this subject I would see things like "Isnt she the lady who sings on David Letterman at Christmas, Didnt she marry Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, Who is Darlene Love? I would crack up because I can tell some of these people are not into music but its interesting to have their perspective. Most of them agreed that the Solitary Man ..Mr Diamond should be in as well as Alice Cooper the Band not just Vince Furnier himself. I guess I have a heart for this stuff because I love music and we are talking about someone leaving a legacy behind and I dont take it lightly like the RRHOF does. Im a little puzzled as to why the Moodys have not been nominated as well. There are die hards who think the Monkees should be in as well but that is another posting. Thanks for your perspective.

Arguments can be made for and against most any act out there. Although I don't like The Moodys, the argument could be made that they set the stage for the orchestral rock of the 70's, and there are good arguments both ways on many other acts like The Monkees, Bootsy Collins, Al Kooper, Pet Clark, The Marvelettes and Peter, Paul and Mary. The list of artists that are not yet in the hall is staggering....

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/eligibles.php

The Hall is reaching the point where many of the "givens"....that is, it's given that they should be in the hall.....are already there, and I think the next 5 years or so of nominees bears watching. Me? I think Donovan should have made it, and Rosalie Trombley deserves induction in the non performer catagory.

Oh, and Alice [[Vincent) says it will be Alice The Band that will be inducted.....
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 12-15-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Are the Guess Who in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet?

Nope. That's one of those groups you can argue both ways about.....

Marv
    I almost had a heart attack I meant to mention the Guess Who one of my favorite groups of all time. Great minds think alike. I was shocked Donovan was not chosen though I mean not only his influence and his songs but TONS of his worked has been used on commercials for Ithe last twenty years! I could go on and on about this and yes Petula Clark is ignored. If Leonard Cohen goes in then Peter, Paul and Mary should be there. Now I have to look at the link Doug posted above I just eat this stuff up.

I mean come on! There have been a lot of great bands and this was one of the best! At the rate things seem to be going, Sha Na Na with Bowzer will get in before Burton Cummings and the Guess Who!

Tribune .Entertainment.Alice Cooper headed into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    Published: Thursday, December 16, 2010

0diggsdigg ShareThis0By Gary Graff
    For the Daily Tribune

Click to enlarge

In this Oct. 31 file photo, musician Alice Cooper performs his Halloween Night of Fear show at The Roundhouse in north London. The 2011 class for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will include Cooper, Neil Diamond, Darlene Love, Dr. John and Tom Waits, it was revealed Tuesday. The induction ceremony is scheduled for March 14 in New York. [[AP Photo/Joel Ryan, File)

When Alice Cooper is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March, it will be five men -- the Alice Cooper band -- rather than one.

And the man named Alice Cooper is just fine with that.

"The original band was cutting edge," says the 62-year-old shock rocker, who was born Vincent Furnier in Allen Park, Mich., and moved to Phoenix, where the group formed, as a teenager. "The original band was the one that broke all the ice. It wasn't me on my own. It was the original band that had all the iconic records from 'Love it to Death' on to 'Billion Dollar Babies' and 'Muscle of Love.'

"What I did after that was an aftermath. The original band were the guys that had to cut through that big, thick ice in order to become an entity out there. I can't see how I could just go up there as an individual."

The Cooper band was announced Thursday [[Dec. 15) as one of five performing inductees for the Rock Hall's class of 2011, joining Neil Diamond, Dr. John, Darlene Love and Tom Waits. Record company executives Jac Holzman and Art Rupe will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers, while Leon Russell will be given the Musical Excellence Award.

The ceremony takes place March 14 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel and will be broadcast live by Fuse TV.

The Cooper band appeared on the nominating ballot for the first time this year, though fans felt the group, which pioneered macabre rock 'n' roll theatricality while notching four platinum albums and five Top 40 hits between 1971-73, was long overdue for the honor.

"It did get to be kind of a joke, not being nominated," Cooper acknowledges. "I got to the point where I was saying, 'OK, I'm the Pete Rose of rock 'n' roll!' So now that it's a reality, it's a different take on it. Now I sit there and go, 'Wow. Wow! We've got to really get up and play, and assume the position of being in the Hall of Fame.' It'll be great."

Cooper says the only time he was upset about being slighted came in 2009, when Kiss, who he considers proteges of a sort, were nominated before him.

"That one stung a little bit," he says. "I sat there and went, 'Now, wait a minute...Really? Are [[we) invisible here or what?'

Cooper had every right to question he laid the groundwork for KISS, Marilyn Manson and those other shock rockers. Alice Cooper [[thank god they are being inducted as the band) and Im not a huge fan but he has done some great stuff mainly Billion Dollar Babies and Welcome to my Nightmare. He has some great ballads as well ..How you Gonna See Me Now, and others. I was not into these guys until I heard their ballads KISS - Beth, Alice [[all of his ballads) Poison - Every Rose Has its Thorn, Extreme - More than Words and they got upset because they were known for Rock but this record put them over the top. IMO nobody sings ballads as well as rockers )with the exception of soul balladeers. I like Eric Carmen All By Myself but there is something about a rocker coming out of his element and doing a ballad that gets to me.

Doug I am in LOVE with that futurerock legends link you posted especially the thread on Procol Harum man you know your stuff. Oh the blog is great too I will contribute this weekend.
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Cooper had every right to question he laid the groundwork for KISS, Marilyn Manson and those other shock rockers. Alice Cooper [[thank god they are being inducted as the band) and Im not a huge fan but he has done some great stuff mainly Billion Dollar Babies and Welcome to my Nightmare. He has some great ballads as well ..How you Gonna See Me Now, and others. I was not into these guys until I heard their ballads KISS - Beth, Alice [[all of his ballads) Poison - Every Rose Has its Thorn, Extreme - More than Words and they got upset because they were known for Rock but this record put them over the top. IMO nobody sings ballads as well as rockers )with the exception of soul balladeers. I like Eric Carmen All By Myself but there is something about a rocker coming out of his element and doing a ballad that gets to me.
    Stephanie, I am sure you know that Alice is from Detroit.........[[smile)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Arguments can be made for and against most any act out there. Although I don't like The Moodys, the argument could be made that they set the stage for the orchestral rock of the 70's, and there are good arguments both ways on many other acts like The Monkees, Bootsy Collins, Al Kooper, Pet Clark, The Marvelettes and Peter, Paul and Mary. The list of artists that are not yet in the hall is staggering....

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/eligibles.php

The Hall is reaching the point where many of the "givens"....that is, it's given that they should be in the hall.....are already there, and I think the next 5 years or so of nominees bears watching. Me? I think Donovan should have made it, and Rosalie Trombley deserves induction in the non performer catagory.

Oh, and Alice [[Vincent) says it will be Alice The Band that will be inducted.....
    Speaking of Bootsy, it would really be nice if the JB's were inducted. Since Fred Wesley and Maceo Parker weren't inducted with P-Funk, this maybe their only shot at getting inducted.

Marv I am hanging my head in shame I didnt know Alice was from Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Marv I am hanging my head in shame I didnt know Alice was from Detroit.
    I appalled! Now go to your room young lady! LOL!