[REMOVE ADS]

In The News: MOTOWN MUSEUM - From Hour Detroit

Very nice piece of Motown nostalgia, Methuselah2. Thanks for sharing that. Back in the day -- 1971 to be exact -- I was offered the opportunity for an official, spur-of-the-moment tour of Hitsville but respectfully declined. I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-06-2015 at 12:02 AM.

That can happen, Gary. But I bet someday you'll go and enjoy yourself and make up for the earlier invitation. I got rid of so much old Motown stuff I was holding onto over the years and often wish I had kept some of it. Funny how something seems like a good idea at the time and eventually seems so mistaken.

Boy, you're so right, Methuselah2. Been there, done that, too! Years ago, when I was in the process of moving, I foolishly -- and intentionally -- threw away my copy of The Motown Songbook [[a huge piano book of Motown sheet music) among other things Motown related. What a dope! Just out of curiosity, what kind of Motown memorabilia did you get rid of?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-06-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Several Supremes performance booklets from live shows; ads for Motown at the Uptown Theatre in Phila.; fan club letters and mailings; and a DMF autographed photo.

Yikes! Coulda, woulda, shoulda! I also ditched a copy of "The Big, Happy, Beating Heart Of The Detroit Sound" - a very nice promo article which Motown's publicity department had sent me. Oh, well, live and learn.

My favorite memory of the Motown Museum occurred in 1996 when we brought down 25 students to visit Detroit and some of our partner schools. At the time, we invited Beans Bowles, Kat Schaffner, Maxine Powell, Bobby Rogers, Sylvestor Potts and Esther Gordy and all showed up-I remember some tourists from England going crazy! We had a sing-a-long in the Studio A and a tour with everyone providing memories [[of course with our new English friends tagging along) up to the point when we got back on the bus parked out front. Several remembered when they were not much older than the kids present getting on a bus to start the Motortown Review.

I gave away most of the photos taken that day but it was nice to see a few in the biography book of our Grandpa Beans Bowles.

A wonderful remembrance, Satipe. Many thanks.