[REMOVE ADS]

Daryl Hall Discusses Marvin Gaye - Wall St. Journal, 3/24/2015

Last edited by Methuselah2; 04-03-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Daryl Hall is a fan of Motown but I feel he looked up to Marvin, David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks the most and it shows. Daryl covered many of Marvin's tunes in the past [[but so has Todd Rundgren, so has James Taylor, etc.)

People take Marvin's legacy for granted, I feel because he was such a trailblazer that people outside of R&B and soul understood that even before he died [[great example, besides James Taylor doing "How Sweet It Is", which Marvin claimed he loved; Spandau Ballet was the first to mention Marvin in a tribute setting in their hit song "True" in 1983).

So Daryl made a great write. What's Going On was a true game changer...

I was glad Daryl mentioned the recording's 'party' intro--starts it all off with a great touch as things then change dramatically. That record is one remarkable touch after another.

Daryl has always been a hip mollyfock. Displayed quite a bit of soul himself...

Daryl Hall is very talented. It sounds like he's had the same experience's hearing certain music as many. You could always tell when he sang that it was sincere and he was not faking the funk.

When Daryl covered "When Did You Stop Loving Me" for his underrated and sadly neglected Epic Records solo album, "Soul Alone", it confirmed to me that he was indeed a hardcore fan. Had he chosen more obvious selections like "Let's Get it On" or "I Heard it Through the Grapevine", I would have not been so convinced that he understood Marvin's work. His adlibs at the end are simply sublime. I wish the article was a little longer since Daryl's work with Motown artists goes much deeper than this excellent cover.

I too was pleasantly surprised and excited about Daryl Hall's choice of song to cover -- indeed clearly showing he is a hardcore fan [[or just a very keen ear for a good song). What I didn't like [[and still don't like) about his version that he restructured it into a conventional chorus, verse, chorus, verse song, while the Marvin version waits with the chorus all the way to the end... slowly building up the tension to the climactic chorus.