[REMOVE ADS]

Stoney and Meatloaf

Great 1971 album on Rare Earth label, who here likes this album? Did they get any chart action on this? If Meatloaf had kept singing stuff like this, i'd have been a big fan!

Jill,
    The single, "What You See Is What You Get" was released from the album and got into the mid 70s with a bullet in Billboard Magazine. It lost out there to the Dramatics' version of the same title but a different song. I've often told the storey that Dramatics' producer, Don Davis, called me at home one evening for a chat, which he did from time to time. This particular call was ending when he asked that the next time I released a record, Would I please send him the title. Something I've laughed about over the years.

That Baby Bollox version of It Takes All Kinds Of People is an extended mix of the released version and for me, it could have gone on for another 10 minutes. It's one of my favourite tracks of all time.

It wasn't even released in the UK............sadly.

I know you have always liked this song, John.

I was startled to discover [[it's not in DFTMC!) that Motown released an album in 1978, on the Prodigal label, and titled "Meatloaf Featuring Stoney And Meatloaf", which contained many but not all of the tracks on their original album, plus three tracks never previously issued, thereby completing the release of ALL the tracks by S&M in the Vaults. It's a tad confusing, as if you google around you will notice different track listings for the LP, but they all contain the same three "bonus" tracks: "Stone Heart", "Everything Under The Sun", and the original version of "Who Is The Leader Of The People". Reportedly, Meatloaf was furious that his and Stoney's version of "Leader" was passed over in favour of Edwin Starr's, and that was what caused him to quit the label and move on to other things ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 11-30-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo

Keith,
    To this day I'm not certain who was responsible for the Prodigal release, but I have always suspected Suzanne DePasse had her limited talents in on that one. The re-release was an embarrassment to me and why the original album wasn't released instead is a mystery.

Totally agree, I have both and, well..no contest. iT TAKES ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE is probably my favourite tune. Lady Be Mine second, and What You See Is What You Get next. But it is all great. Should have been a smash..Paulo XXXX

Can I just mention that this track was only available by way of the US mono 45 for a long time.....the only way you could get a stereo version was on the US promo 45 and that was so hard to find.

The cut on that mono 45 is the biz....you have to listen to it....there's a fair amount of distortion on those vinyl 45's and it all contributed to the overall sound. The strings have been mixed right in the middle of that song creating a mixture of sounds that was for me, absolutely out of this world. I remember thinking at the time that this 45 was a return to the J5 Motown Sound so it must be the same people involved....but the names on the record weren't giving me any clues. Little did I know that Russ had worked with the J5 too

Ralph....what do you think of that first edit at 1:38 on Baby Bolllox's version........ *cringe*

Ralph...when Rare Earth put out the stereo promo version....would that be the mix that would appear on the album. The album version sounds more cleaned up than the US promo 45 but that might be due to the vinyl or even a worn stylus. I wont be surprised if it is so long ago, you can't remember that kind of detail.....no doubt, not expecting some mad Brit to start asking you questions about it 40 years later!!!!! HAHAHAHA

John,
    I'll have to give a listen to the Bollox mix. As far as what gets released: Usually the single would be the same mix as the album cut....but at times exceptions are made. How is that for an informative answer?

And what else would I expect from a Motowner!

As Mrs Edwards once said to me...don't worry too much about getting the facts right, just make sure they spell your name correctly! HAHAHAHA