[REMOVE ADS]

Looking for Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis' 80's ballads

I’ve always been a fan of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis’ work, especially their 80’s ballads with Janet Jackson [[ie. Lonely, Come Back To Me). I’ve been looking for more of their songs with the same vibe and was able to find some more ballads they produced with Pia Zadora. Last night I also discovered a song called “Take Care” from Janet’s 20 Y.O. album that they produced for her and it sounds very similar to their 80’s ballads with her. Does anyone know of any other songs they produced that sound similar?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I’ve always been a fan of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis’ work, especially their 80’s ballads with Janet Jackson [[ie. Lonely, Come Back To Me). I’ve been looking for more of their songs with the same vibe and was able to find some more ballads they produced with Pia Zadora. Last night I also discovered a song called “Take Care” from Janet’s 20 Y.O. album that they produced for her and it sounds very similar to their 80’s ballads with her. Does anyone know of any other songs they produced that sound similar?
    The S.O.S. Band

Thanks soulster! I will check them out. I also have some of Change’s music and they also have a few ballads in a similar vein.

I think the S.O.S. Band is Jam and Lewis’ own band? I know of them but can’t say that I can think of a song of theirs. It was all before my time. Gonna stream some of their stuff...

The SOS Band was out for years before Flyte Time produced them. I'd recommend original poster listen to Alexander O'Neal, especially "Hearsay" which had 'Sunshine', 'Crying Overtime', and 'When The Party's Over'. Also, Cherelle's ballads were excellent back then. 'Everything I Miss At Home' stands out along with 'I Will Wait For You'. Of course Human League's 'I'm Only Human' has been played to death, but it is another great track from them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I think the S.O.S. Band is Jam and Lewis’ own band? I know of them but can’t say that I can think of a song of theirs. It was all before my time. Gonna stream some of their stuff...
    JJ&TL started out as members of The Time. Prince fired them because they were late to a gig because they were busy mixing an S.O.S. band track.

The S.O.S. Band came out with their first album in 1980 as an funk/R&B band. I know you've heard something from this album:
    Attachment 9315 However, JJ&TL didn't start producing them until their third album, on which they only did the first side:

Attachment 9317

On the rest of their albums, they did the whole project.

As noted earlier, they also produced albums by The Human League, other Change albums, Janet Jackson, Cherrelle, and Alexander O'Neal, although I think his first album is great.

J&L's productions for Alexander O'Neal and Cherrelle are essential 80s R&B. Agree with Soulster and jerry Oz.

As for Janet, she recorded the chorus on a Herb Alpert track titled "Making Love In The Rain" in or around 1988. Lisa Keith did the main vocal. It is one of the most lush and lovely J&L ballads of all time.

My favorite Flyte Time album remains 'Hearsay'. It is one of those rare records where every single song resonated with me. It excites me to this day. Their first album with Janet might be a close second. They grew with each project and continue to do great work. If there is a Mount Rushmore of musical producers, they are on it, right beside Quincy Jones, Berry Giddy, and George Clinton.

That might actually be a good thread: If you had a Mt. Rushmore of producers, who would you put on it? I guess I gave mine away, didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    As for Janet, she recorded the chorus on a Herb Alpert track titled "Making Love In The Rain" in or around 1988. Lisa Keith did the main vocal. It is one of the most lush and lovely J&L ballads of all time.
    And, while not a ballad, the big hit single from that album is "Diamonds" with Lisa Keith and Janet, who sounded a lot like Lisa.

What i'm wondering is how Carlo missed all that music!

Thanks guys! From everything mentioned here so far, I know "Making Love In the Rain", "Human" by Human League [[one of my all time favourites), "Diamonds" [[not as much of a ballad, but still a great song).

I remember hearing some of Alexander O'Neal's Jam & Lewis ballads on Youtube and liked those. I will have to go back and re-visit them. I've never "gotten into" Cherelle until now. I am listening to "Everything I Miss At Home" and I'm really liking this one. Thanks!

Great songs suggestions. I almost forgot about "Every Thing I Miss At Home". What a great song that was from Cherelle. "Sentimental" and "The Morning After" by Alexander O'Neal were great ballads. I believe they were 90's but great nonetheless.

Jerry Oz, a Mt. Rushmore of producers. What a great thread that would be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Jam_and_Terry_Lewis

In 1991, they founded a record label, Perspective Records[22][23] [[an A&M/PolyGram Records-distributed label that has since shut its doors). They have worked with artists such as Herb Alpert, TLC, Sounds of Blackness, Yolanda Adams, Jordan Knight, Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men, Usher, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Prince, Spice Girls, Vanessa Williams, George Michael, Melanie B, Rod Stewart, Kelly Price, Gwen Stefani, New Edition, Eric Benet, Pia Zadora, Solo, and The Human League.[24] In 1999, they produced the hit "Open My Heart" by Yolanda Adams which helped her popularity. In 2000, the two were guest performers for J-pop singer and songwriter Hikaru Utada's 'Bohemian Summer' concert tour in Japan.

Jam & Lewis also worked with Cheryl Lynn [["Encore"); Thelma Houston [["You Used To Hold Me So Tight"); Force MDs [["Tender Love"); and Patti Austin [["The Heat Of Heat").

But only Tender Love is a ballad!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    But only Tender Love is a ballad!
    Oh well...the songs are still worth a mention IMO!

JJ & TL were also responsible for four tracks on the first KLYMAXX L.P. on Solar, which was released in 1982.

The four tracks are .. "Wild Girls", "The Man In My Life", "Heartbreaker" and "All Turned Out".

Unfortunately [[for Carlo) none of the tracks are ballads as they all plod along with a typical early 1980s mid-tempo groove but personally I like them all .. interestingly the intro for "All Turned Out" is a remarkably similar to the intro to "Just Be Good To Me" by THE S.O.S. BAND.

Roger