[REMOVE ADS]

Recommendated: Brenda & The Tabulations "I Keep Coming Back For More"

I've been listening to this lovely music and want to pass it on as a recommendation. A late-career release for B&TT and it's great how they are able to match the trendy late '70s production sounds. Just a really nice album. A hit single was all it needed. Give it a listen!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I've been listening to this lovely music and want to pass it on as a recommendation. A late-career release for B&TT and it's great how they are able to match the trendy late '70s production sounds. Just a really nice album. A hit single was all it needed. Give it a listen!
    Yeah, Robert, it’s a great Casablanca/Chocolate City album, available on CD from Shout Records. Nice mix of Philly dance tracks and soulful ballads.

In fact, Brenda and company are well represented on CD covering their total output on Dionn Records, Top & Bottom Records, and Casablanca/Chocolate City Records.
    Now, if we could just get Brenda & The Tabs’ Van McCoy-produced Epic singles on CD, I’d be happy as a clam!

I agree. I have this album

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yeah, Robert, it’s a great Casablanca/Chocolate City album, available on CD from Shout Records. Nice mix of Philly dance tracks and soulful ballads.

In fact, Brenda and company are well represented on CD covering their total output on Dionn Records, Top & Bottom Records, and Casablanca/Chocolate City Records.
    Now, if we could just get Brenda & The Tabs’ Van McCoy-produced Epic singles on CD, I’d be happy as a clam!
    It's odd, isn't it Gary, how some groups adapted so easily to the changing production sounds and some did not? AND what groups/artists get these great re-releases and don't? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you/we get the McCoy material on cd!

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I agree. I have this album

edafan
    Cool - always nice to "meet" other fellow appreciators!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    It's odd, isn't it Gary, how some groups adapted so easily to the changing production sounds and some did not? AND what groups/artists get these great re-releases and don't? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you/we get the McCoy material on cd!
    Yes, Robert, it is indeed odd how some artist's recorded output gets CD exposure while other artist's output gets totally ignored. Oftentimes, there is no rhyme nor reason to any of it. I don't know what to expect from Brenda & The Tabulations' Epic material. There were only 4 singles released:

1) "Little Bit Of Love" b/w "Let Me Be Happy" [[1972)
    2) "One Girl Too Late" b/w "The Magic Of Your Love" [[1973)
    3) "Key To My Heart" b/w "Love Is Just A Carnival" [[1973)
    4) "I'm In Love" b/w "Walk On In" [[1973)

I have no idea whether or not Van McCoy had any previously-unreleased Brenda & The Tabulations Epic-era tracks in the vaults. It would be great to have the above titles from the master-tapes instead of my current home-made CD copies dubbed from vinyl 45's.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-26-2015 at 07:39 AM.

I'm sure I have a Brenda & Tabulations Epic LP on CD, I think it has "One Girl Too Late" on it.I'll have to check when I get home .

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I'm sure I have a Brenda & Tabulations Epic LP on CD, I think it has "One Girl Too Late" on it.I'll have to check when I get home .
    Motony, I would be pleasantly surprised if it's a full-Brenda album, as there was a Various-Artists compilation CD which contained "One Girl Too Late", but I never heard of a full Brenda album. I've searched the album-release books over the years and never found one. But please -- proove me wrong!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.

ya know man, you are right...."One Girl Too Late" I have on an Lost Soul comp on Epic, the LP I have must be the Chocalate City release. Ofcourse I have the Greatest Hits Comp. which has all the Dionn/Top & Bottom releases. Brenda was a great singer, the time I was going to see & meet her, she was doing shows with the Stylistics on a James Brown tour.She was sick & didn't make Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville. Not too long afterwards she was too ill to erform anymore & I know she was not too old when she passed away.Always loved her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Motony, I would be pleasantly surprised if it's a full-Brenda album, as there was a Various-Artists compilation CD which contained "One Girl Too Late", but I never heard of a full Brenda album. I've searched the album-release books over the years and never found one. But please -- proove me wrong!

I have loved Brenda & The Tabulations since "Dry Your Eyes". Some years ago Dusty Groove listed "Brenda & The Tabulations - The Epic Sessions" w/ bonus tracks as an upcoming CD release. I'm still waiting...maybe one day [[I never say never)!!

Is there a compilation that you would recommend for someone who isn't really familiar with Brenda?

I've known of her for years, but have only heard a few recordings. When I was a little boy, I remember seeing her and the Tabulations on a tv show singing RIGHT ON THE TIP OF MY TONGUE. The other night, I was watching the infomercial for a new Time-Life soul collection and they showed a brief clip of Brenda that I had never seen before. After seeing this thread, I think I might want to get something of hers.
    Last edited by reese; 03-27-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Is there a compilation that you would recommend for someone who isn't really familiar with Brenda?

I've known of her for years, but have only heard a few recordings. When I was a little boy, I remember seeing her and the Tabulations on a tv show singing RIGHT ON THE TIP OF MY TONGUE. The other night, I was watching the infomercial for a new Time-Life soul collection and they showed a brief clip of Brenda that I had never seen before. After seeing this thread, I think I might want to get something of hers.
    Here ya are, Reese. These CD’s are Brenda & The Tabulations 1969-1971 Van McCoy-produced Top & Bottom Records productions [[as well as a few earlier non-Van McCoy productions. It's easy to tell 'em apart -- Van's are the prettiest!):

"The Top And Bottom Singles Collection 1969-1971" [[Complete Top & Bottom 45's output, most of which are Van's productions):

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Bottom-Sin...he+tabulations

and also:

"Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" [[a combination of most of their Top & Bottom singles and a few earlier non-Van McCoy Dionn Records tracks):

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Tip-Tong...he+tabulations

I can highly recommend both. I already had "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue". I had to turn around and buy "The Top And Bottom Singles Collection 1969-1971" as well in order to get their last single, "Why Didn’t I Think Of That" b/w "A Love You Can Depend On", which I love, and, which was shamefully left off of the "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" compilation. If you only buy one, I would definitely go with "The Top And Bottom Singles Collection 1969-1971. - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-27-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    I have loved Brenda & The Tabulations since "Dry Your Eyes". Some years ago Dusty Groove listed "Brenda & The Tabulations - The Epic Sessions" w/ bonus tracks as an upcoming CD release. I'm still waiting...maybe one day [[I never say never)!!
    Really? I wasn’t aware of that. But that’s good news – at least there’s some hope that somebody out there is working on it! It’ll probably show up one day when we least expect it. We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    ya know man, you are right...."One Girl Too Late" I have on an Lost Soul comp on Epic, the LP I have must be the Chocalate City release. Ofcourse I have the Greatest Hits Comp. which has all the Dionn/Top & Bottom releases. Brenda was a great singer, the time I was going to see & meet her, she was doing shows with the Stylistics on a James Brown tour.She was sick & didn't make Orlando, Tampa or Jacksonville. Not too long afterwards she was too ill to erform anymore & I know she was not too old when she passed away.Always loved her voice.
    Jeez, what a bummer. You came THIS CLOSE to seeing her live, and then it was all over. Poor Brenda. There oughta be a law.

Reese/Gary:

There was also B&TT Dionn singles set:

http://www.amazon.com/Dionn-Singles-...+dionn+singles

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Reese/Gary:

There was also B&TT Dionn singles set:

http://www.amazon.com/Dionn-Singles-...+dionn+singles
    Yeah, I know; I've have that one, too. But he mentioned "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue", so I filled him in on the Van McCoy-produced Top And Bottom years.