[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    is it just me or is it that you can hear mary and flo on every song on at the copa EXCEPT come see about me? their barely audible on that song and i always thought it was weird. maybe because of the dance steps they had to stand far back from the mics? i know this is the only hit song where they had a lot of choreography. i just thought it was strange.
    Back in the day, my mom had At The Copa on 8 track. I could swear that the backing vocals were louder on the 8 track than the lp

Perhaps there is a big difference between the Mono and Stereo versions. Sometimes [[as with the Vandellas' Live LP) they are actually different concerts. I don't know whether "At the Copa" had two different recordings or just different mixes, but definitely the 8-track would have been the Stereo version.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Perhaps there is a big difference between the Mono and Stereo versions. Sometimes [[as with the Vandellas' Live LP) they are actually different concerts. I don't know whether "At the Copa" had two different recordings or just different mixes, but definitely the 8-track would have been the Stereo version.
    I think the stereo and mono albums feature the same concert[[s), but different mixes. To me, the background vocals sound louder on the mono album. Also, I recall Side Two of the mono beginning with a fade up on the departure music, while the stereo Side Two starts with applause.

Actually, I'm listening to the mono COME SEE ABOUT ME now, and the background vocals are somewhat low. Also, the part in the middle where Diana says "Let me hear everybody clap the hands" is almost non-existent, where it is loud and clear on the stereo version.

I do hope that someday [[hopefully soon) that we get some sort of a Live "retrospective" set of the Supremes vaulted live tracks. We've been told there are many, so I am hopeful we will, at least, get a flavor for the best of what's there in the vault. I would love to see a "Copa set" recapping their various dates [[1965-72) there. I don't compare the Copa to the Talk of the Town to the Frontier since they were all such opposites & different in their physical attributes, so naturally the performances reflect that. I have only seen pictures from the Copa and I have seen video of Talk of The Town. The Copa was very intimate, Talk of The Town was gigantic [[or so it appeared to me.) It would be nice to get a complete show from 1966-69 from the Roostertail. There, they are playing for Motown, family & hometown crowd. I have always been curious about the "Live at Lake Tahoe" album that was cancelled. Were any of the dates at the Fairmont in SF or the Grove in LA ever recorded? My dream would be to get a "Copa" package where you could select your lineup, song list & the gowns and then sit back & watch/listen to a computer simulated version of the "Supremes At the Copa." Ah, well..hopefully one day...

I would like to see those films Berry did of them in the studio. There are plenty of tapes of Fleetwood Mac and rock groups doing their thing. I have even see tapes of the Hollies in the studio although some of them were promotional films and lip synched but since we have seen the Supremes playing ping pong, and the Temps with David Ruffin in their little lip synch film and the other one of the girls doing My World is Empty lip synch and the Mother you Smother you one I know there are more of those.

The supremes at the roostertail 1966. Now that this show is out on the i hear a symphony set, i think this is the best show of all the live albums for several reasons.its an extension of the copa show the band is better more intertplay and it includes all three original members at their peak diana is on point more confidrnt as a lead singer more standards more hits and u get to hear mary and flo take the song people on. The band gets extra points and berry gordy is right up front u could hear him and diana conversing and flo gets her lines in give me that gold and give it me now.

completely agree with you fran. the Roostertail set is a great one. the song selection is very strong, girls are in great form, the hits are full versions as opposed to medleys. my only slight detraction is that it's a smaller band as opposed to an orchestra. no strings. smaller sound

there are a handful of tracks from the Copa 67 performance that are quite good too. You Can't Hurry Love is [[if you can believe it) at an even faster pace but the backing vocals are stronger than Roostertail. The comedy routine for you're Nobody has advanced too by this time. would be interested to hear the full, unedited set and see/hear what things were like just before Flo's departure

as for the DRATS, between the videos and recordings, seems like we have a pretty good idea of what the show was like in 68. not sure if there were many changes in it between the Talk/European shows and Farewell. maybe a few songs.

i'd also be interested in hearing more of the 70s live sets. when Jean joined, they pretty significantly altered their show. from 70 - 72 would be great to hear the various stages of the shows. unfortunately, IMO by late 72 and 73, they had pulled too many old DRATS songs back into the act

Here's a question for those of you "in the know":

When the Supremes "Copa" concert was recorded, had there ever been any other act to put out a live LP from this same venue? Or was this release uncharted territory?

And: did Motown bring in their own staff from Detroit to record this, or did they use sound/engineers/staff that were available in New York?

I think one of the biggest changes I notice from the 1965 Copa gig to the 1966 Roostertail gig is that Diana's sound had developed so much more, even in such a short period of time. If anything, there had to have been an awful amount of stress in '65; by '66 they were much more confident as a group.

Same with what we have heard from the 1967 Copa gig versus, say, 1968's "Talk of the Town". Diana's sound had matured even further in that short time span, it's hard to compare the two.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Here's a question for those of you "in the know":

When the Supremes "Copa" concert was recorded, had there ever been any other act to put out a live LP from this same venue? Or was this release uncharted territory?

And: did Motown bring in their own staff from Detroit to record this, or did they use sound/engineers/staff that were available in New York?

I think one of the biggest changes I notice from the 1965 Copa gig to the 1966 Roostertail gig is that Diana's sound had developed so much more, even in such a short period of time. If anything, there had to have been an awful amount of stress in '65; by '66 they were much more confident as a group.

Same with what we have heard from the 1967 Copa gig versus, say, 1968's "Talk of the Town". Diana's sound had matured even further in that short time span, it's hard to compare the two.
    Many artists recorded live albums at the Copa before the Supremes, among them, Bobby Darin, Jackie Wilson, Connie Francis, and Sam Cooke.

I would assume that Motown arranged to use remote recording equipment from a NYC facility, but I don't know that for sure. I think the mixes themselves were done back in Detroit. Engineer Lawrence Horn is credited as a co-producer of the Copa album, so possibly that was in light of his helping to compile and edit the album.
    Last edited by reese; 08-01-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Though "Didn't We" from "Farewell" is an essential part of my collection. However, surprisingly, "Talk of the Town" particularly the "1994 Remastered" version is hands down my favorite. The well worn "Supremes Medley" is better than "The Copa" and "Farewell". I fancy myself as a bit of an audiophile. The band is tight and though she speeds through, Diana sounds, well, Supreme!
    "The Broadway Medley" is the peak. "More" and the guitar strumming leading into "In and Out Of Love" gets repeated often.
    It is decidedly Vegas-y in the arrangements, but, it is my absolute favorite Supremes live album!

From what I heard from the 70's live sets. The 70-mid 72 sets were great. It was less show tune-y and more soulful. It seems that once Lynda joined, they reverted back to the old drats show with some of the 70's stuff mixed in. I'm not sure what Mary or whoever was thinking when they did this. But I noticed the drats show disappeared around the time they did the Japan concerts. And I believe the last shows with jean and Lynda, they didn't do any of the 60's songs

I've always through that the 70s group should have evolved their show more. Mary DEFINITELY needed to quit singing the same 1 song as her solo and move into new material. would have been a better idea to have her start doing her lead numbers from the group's lps.

They did do a good job with scherrie when they introduced the Dream sequence. nice way to change things up and refresh the show.

I have several tapes of the Scherrie era shows - Manchester England, shortly after Sup 75 was released. Bachelor III in early 76, the MOntreaux Switzerland vid and Sup convention/Roostertail clips. There was still a LOT of vegas-y songs. Everybody Gets To Go to the Moon, Corner of the Sky, The Way We Were, maybe This Time. And while I liked the Dream sequence, it too was very based in show tunes

also if I could wave a magic wand, i'd make some changes to how the ran the shows. Loved Diana as lead but wish they had more opportunity within the format of the shows to share lead

Sam Cooke Medley - what if they ended with Flo tearing it up with Ain't That Good News
    Mille/Rose/Mame medley - what if each girl did a lead?

And it seems that [[with DMC) they spent time and money to do so many wonderful medleys on tv. but they didn't incorporate into the shows - Fats Waller, Irving berlin, Cole Porter, Thou Swell. They just kept doing Lady is a tramp and, for a while, the Mille/Rose/Mame one

actually, Talk Of The town is the most enjoyable , most likely to be revisted more often than the others

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    actually, Talk Of The town is the most enjoyable , most likely to be revisted more often than the others
    On that note, Universal, please remaster this or at least make a download available for iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I've always through that the 70s group should have evolved their show more. Mary DEFINITELY needed to quit singing the same 1 song as her solo and move into new material. would have been a better idea to have her start doing her lead numbers from the group's lps.

They did do a good job with scherrie when they introduced the Dream sequence. nice way to change things up and refresh the show.

I have several tapes of the Scherrie era shows - Manchester England, shortly after Sup 75 was released. Bachelor III in early 76, the MOntreaux Switzerland vid and Sup convention/Roostertail clips. There was still a LOT of vegas-y songs. Everybody Gets To Go to the Moon, Corner of the Sky, The Way We Were, maybe This Time. And while I liked the Dream sequence, it too was very based in show tunes
    I do agree that they were too vegas-y but they at least incorporated album cuts into their act. But I disagree that Mary should've stop singing can't take my eyes off of you. That was her moment to shine. I'm guessing once she was more confident as a lead, she started doing more leads.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    On that note, Universal, please remaster this or at least make a download available for iTunes!
    This really is a good performance. I have the 1994 CD release, but I would think Andy, George and crew would have to go back to the tapes to remaster it. Given the lack of studio time for A Go Go, this might explain why we haven't seen it on iTunes. As you know, its not as easy as uploading it from the CD.

When they opened at the Frontier in 1971, they had a totally new set list. They opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had two solos...Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move" and "Where You Lead." Mary had said Motown was recording the show for a live album and the Copa engagement from that year was recorded as well. Don't know if those shows have been found in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    When they opened at the Frontier in 1971, they had a totally new set list. They opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had two solos...Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move" and "Where You Lead." Mary had said Motown was recording the show for a live album and the Copa engagement from that year was recorded as well. Don't know if those shows have been found in the vaults.
    I didn't know Mary sang where you lead. I've heard Jean's version from Merv griffin

I thought Motown recorded every live show in those days

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    This really is a good performance. I have the 1994 CD release, but I would think Andy, George and crew would have to go back to the tapes to remaster it. Given the lack of studio time for A Go Go, this might explain why we haven't seen it on iTunes. As you know, its not as easy as uploading it from the CD.
    That's precisely my issue. I had the vinyl years ago and never bought the CD, for which I've hunted high and low for a dog's age now. I realize that Amazon, eBay, et al. have copies, but I refuse to pay any exorbitant online prices; I'm holding out for the trusty used CD outlets in my city. I've had incredible luck over the past few years; semper hopeful!

"Talk of the Town" was indeed a taped BBC special. That explains the album peaking at #6!
    johnjeb: how fortunate you were to have the seen the original group so many times.

i saw the "I Hear a Symphony Tour"! The single was #1 on both KFRC and KYA/San Francisco simultaneously as they wowed the Cow Palace audience.
    The venue, Cow Palace, was the largest capacity [[11,000) in San Francisco. But it was also used for County Fairs and Rodeos, no longer befitting their glamour so they began their annual week-2wk stand at The Fairmont/San Francisco! Since they played sooo many nights there, it was hard to know if any dates were recorded. Acoustically, the room was superb. Because I was under 17-18 yrs. old, I was always accompanied by a relative [[my mom or aunt)!

"Farewell" has an electricity in the room that probably stems from the emotions running throughout. When I'm listening to the album, it feels segmented as if it were being taped for a documentary. But Diana's solo turns like, "Didn't We" made me more excited about her forthcoming solo debut.
    "Talk of the Town" captures the group at the height of their popularity.
    "Live at the Copa" for all its preparedness is letter perfect and therefore, to my ears, far too rehearsed. The liner notes on the Expanded Edition clearly states that due to a sound malfunction at the beginning, her vocals are dubbed.

I wonder why TALK OF THE TOWN and FAREWELL are not on iTunes? Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    I wonder why TALK OF THE TOWN and FAREWELL are not on iTunes? Does anyone know why?
    This is a mystery to me as well, longtimefan. I purchased FAREWELL in its CAPTURED LIVE ON STAGE incarnation from iTunes a year or two ago; checking the store from my iPhone, I don't find it now. I'm not near my desktop at the moment; I'll have to investigate further.