[REMOVE ADS]

Happy Birthday, Jimi Hendrix

Happy Birthday to an artist who was gone WAY too soon... I am SO happy that I got to know and love his music while he was still alive, here on earth. However, his spirit, his music will live forever, in my heart and mind

Cat

Thanks Cat ! I'm glad someone else acknowledge him,besides myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

By the way, has anyone purchase the "West Coast Seattle Boy" box set CD/DVD ?

"Voodoo Chile"

' Wait Until Tomorrow', Angel, Crosstown Traffic, Straight Ahead, ...I could name a few more that are my favorites...love me some Hendrix and thanks to my Brother who so strives to play like him, I knew all of his work and still learning. Happy Birthday to him in Heaven - a life cut short buy questionable means.

Another man who is sorely missed...Happy Birthday, Jimi, and RIP...

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    "Voodoo Chile"
    Happy Birthday Jimi from P-Theory & Billy Bass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrlqdOMTgAg

Welcome P-Theory and Billy Bass !

I found these old army pics of Hendrix on the internet. Can anyone validate whether these are truly Jimmy or not ?

Good thing his old lady changed the locks on the door so he would play his guitar!

Here's another great musician gone too soon. My fave album by him is "Axis: Bold As Love". Happy Birthday Jimi!

I love too much of Jimi's music to name favorites but I have to say the track that really knocked me the funk out and
    made me a permanent fan is Third Stone From The Sun. It sounded to me like what John Coltrane would have produced
    had he mastered the guitar instead of his saxes. I've always had a thing for Little Wing too. I think it was Stevie Ray Vaughn's favorite too because he played it so much, even interpolating it into his own compositions. On his cover of it
    he marries Jimi's playing with Wes Montgomery's phrasing in a way I think both would have loved. I still find it sad that
    Jimi had to leave us so young...the cat had so much potential to be a bigger influence than he already was, if you don't
    believe that's possible...

I saw him live twice and after each performance just wished he had stayed as a backing guitarist in a soul band.
    Not impressed at all by what I witnessed [[walked out of the 2nd show it was so not to my taste).

Go here to check out some pics of Jimi with King Curtis & The King Pins and some Atlantic artists
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2441782&type=3

Splanky;
    Your comment regarding Jimi Hendrix and John Coltrane caught my attention and fired up my imagination of what could have been. Sadly, John passed away in 1967 at the age of 41. His musical direction was turning towards the spiritual, but he could have been as opened minded as Miles Davis was to incorporate rock music into his work, if he had lived longer.
    It always fun to boast of a hometown connection when celebrities are concerned. Although Jimi was born and raised in Seattle, his grandmother, Nora Rose Moore Hendrix lived in Vancouver, Canada and owned and operated a small Fried Chicken restaurant here, near the Canadian National Train Station. An aunt lived here as well, and as a boy, Jimi stayed here while he was in primary school. The restaurant site amazingly remained, after most of the neighborhood known as "Hogan's Alley" was cleared in the 1960's for a viaduct. Known now as the "Jimi Hendrix Shrine," this small one room structure can be rented out for parties. The interior still has some of the original features of the restaurant along with numerous Hendrix family photos and other memorabilia.
    While not as professionally maintained as the Motown Museum, this venue located near Main Street and Prior Street, is a labor of love and well worth checking out if you are a Hendrix fan visiting the Vancouver area.

[/FONT]

I listen to the tracks he played with the Isley Bros. Right away you know thats Jimi. His style was no gimmick from the start. He was always unique in his playing. My favorite album by him was Electric Ladyland and my favorite track from that album is Rainy Day and Still Raining Still Dreaming ,spliced together. That guitar is "walking" the same way a Bass does when you lay in the cut,and at the same time flows like a lead guitar. That comes from the fact that JIMI also played Bass on a lot of his tracks too. He was best at creating specifically in the studio , evident
    for example when you listen to the overdub version of Machine Gun as opposed to the 2 versions you hear on the "Complete Band Of Gypsy's" CD. People tend to think that he always should sound like his studio recordings ,all the time ,but this is not the case. His execution and style is the constant that makes him the great musician that he was. When any guitarist plays a certian way it's generally compared to 3 styles. "Like" Montgomery or Paul, "like" B.B. or "like" JIMI.

@jsmith...I can respect your dislike of Jimi's stage act but I have to wonder if perhaps you caught him in the middle of
    a very show boating performance. That happened a lot with a number of very talented musicians who sometimes did things that made some forget or overlook their sheer talent. The afore-mentioned Trane. Miles Davis. Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Sun Ra. Funkadelic.Even Stevie Wonder. Anyway, to each it's reach...
    @ R. Mark...The late Alice Coltrane said that John Coltrane acquired a guitar in his last years, acoustic or electric, I don't
    know, and would fiddle with it at home...I know he loved and recorded with Wes Montgomery and it's too bad he didn't live long enough to really get beyond just goofing around... That said, I don't know that I'll ever get to Vancouver but
    I appreciate the heads up...

Happy Birthday to Jimi Hendrix

Sparky;
    Many thanks for the information that John Coltrane had been experimenting with a guitar. Sharing bits and pieces of information lost to time is one of the great features of this site. I greatly appreciate you sharing this. All music seems to somehow be linked.
    You may know this, but perhaps it will be a surprise to many, that Alice [[McLeod ) Coltrane's sister, Marilyn McLeod, a Motown staff writer, co-wrote Diana Ross' "Love Hangover" and many other songs for recording artists such as Jr. Walker, Anita Baker and High Inergy.

R. Mark, yes I knew that about Alice's sister Marilyn. I read everything I can find on Trane, his wife and their families..

btw, check your fonts; your characters are typing in so small some members may need magnifying glasses to read your posts...

My dad and uncle were watching "Unsung" yesterday when my uncle asked what would have happened had fate not stepped in to change so many musicians' lives. My dad didn't understand the question so my uncle asked what would have happened had Sam Cooke or Jackie Wilson not had their lives ended/changed at so young an age.

I added that I'd like to see what would have happened had we kept the Rev. Martin Luther King and Jimi Hendrix.

I am waiting for the price to come down before purchasing. I am more interested in the early James Marshall Hendrix in one place with good quality sound. I have a pretty good Hendrix Library and re read one recently that focused on his early life, which most biographies tend to gloss over the early years to get to the London Years.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I saw him live twice and after each performance just wished he had stayed as a backing guitarist in a soul band.
    Not impressed at all by what I witnessed [[walked out of the 2nd show it was so not to my taste).
    To eash his own, but i'm glad he stepped out to do his own thing. There has never been anyone quite like Jimi since. R.I.P..

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    This reminds me of the story [[whether true or not) that had him opening for the Monkees and getting booed off stage by fans of the TV band. Of course this is before they grew up, dropped acid and learned to appreciate music their parents didn't approve of.