[REMOVE ADS]

Mowest anthology in 2011

Excuse me if this is old. I couldn't find anything on the board about it.

I just stumbled on this one paragraph in Light in the Attic's website about their projects for 2011:

- Alongside Kevin “Sipreano” Howes up in Vancouver, we’ve co-produced the first ever anthology of Motown subsidiary label Mowest [[1971-73), Berry Gordy’s short lived endeavor when the Motor City crew left Detroit and set up shop on the West Coast. In the works for years, we’re relieved to finally be putting this sucker to bed for your listening pleasure. Sipreano, who wrote the liner notes for our reissues of Rodriguez, Monks, Doug Randle, and six part Jamaica to Toronto Series once again contributed an excellent essay, discussing the history of Mowest. The material has all been re-mastered from the original tapes.
    http://lightintheattic.net/news/?p=2785

if they really are issuing some kind of 'anthology' of Mowest releases that will be brilliant. I know not everyone of the Mowest releases were good e.g. Hethrington - it will still be wonderful to have all of these on CD.

if tcms 12a + b ever gets out we'll only be missing 1973.now if they could get hold of gc cameron's aborted album "7th son"
    and more importantly the blackberries self titled lp
    is there any devastating affair stuff in the vaults?

I've given up waiting for TCMS 12a and b. They're well over a year late, and I don't think that they'll ever be issued now.

with the recession too, I've noticed that Motown albums are selling for much lower prices on ebay, so I'll hang onto mine until the economy improves, then all the vinyl can go.

sounds like a plan!

Gordy_hunk, do you think it is the economy only?

I wonder if it also isn't an aging population, the availability of so much online and so easily, and times moving on from Motown.

What do you think?

A Mowest Anthology would be great - in fact more Motown stuff I've not heard before. But, of course, the UK releases tended to be different so how about a UK one too? Wonderful.

jobeterob - I think you're right. For some of the ageing population, times have moved on from Motown, and priorities change, music tastes change, and there is less interest in Motown. The availability of so much other material [[including radio stations) does mean that many people no longer want to buy CD. I know in the last 10 years, I've reduced the volume of CD I buy - partly because of the introduction of DAB radio - but also by my priorities in life changing - going to the gym, going out more, and spending money more on other things than CD. I've also noticed that I tend to buy fewer CD by individual artists, but more compilation ones.

Mystersinger - I've no idea which countries had Mowest - but why not simply have an anthology compiling ALL the mowest records?

Despite me changing my priorities - I'd still buy a Mowest anthology!

In Europe some MoWest recordings appeared on the Tamla-Motown label, if my memory serves me well. Maybe also a few on the Rare Earth label, depending on what kind of act/music it was [[black versus white???).
    Don't know about the UK, though.

Light in the Attic did the Seattle anthology for the Wheedle's Groove documentary. It was really well done and superbly packaged. I'd trust whatever they do will be good.

The Mowest stuff wasn't the greatest, but like others have said....I'd but it

MOWEST album "Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love: Motown's Mowest Story [[1971-1973)" now listed on Amazon.com with release date of June 14th at CD price of $14.88 and VINYL for $21.54 and on Amazon.co.uk with release date of June 14th and CD price of £9.47

The track listing and some sound samples http://www.rushhour.nl/distribution_...php?item=59348

The release sheet with artwork http://www.rushhour.nl/sheets/59348_sheet.pdf
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-06-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Definately one for the collection - it certainly looks tasteful. I'm not sure about the title anthology though.

How misleading. It's certainly mis-titled. 16 tracks, and called a "Story Of... / Anthology"!!! Oh come on... what utter crap!

This is known as a "market-spoiler", attempting to grab the market for the "real deal" before anyone can put one together.

The surprising thing for me, is that Universal must have OK'd the use of "Story Of... / Anthology" here, thus contributing to the SCAM.

Where are The Blackberries, an unreleased bonus track would have been nice.

I have the Odyssey album on an old Japanese re-isssue CD import. Has the same cover as this, minus the new title. Agree with starguard4, in that its not really an Anthology perse. Probably will buy it for the tracks I dont have, especially not on CD. BUT only if it is an official licensed Universal Motown release. Paulo xxx

1. Frankie Valli & Four Seasons - You're A Song [[That I Can't Sing)
    2. Odyssey - Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love
    3. Sisters Love - Give Me Your Love
    4. G.C. Cameron - Act Like A Shotgun
    5. Syreeta - I Love Every Little Thing About You
    6. Syreeta - Black Maybe
    7. Frankie Valli & Four Seasons - Sun Country
    8. Odyssey - Battened Ships
    9. Suzee Ikeda - I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You
    10. Commodores, The - Don't You Be Worried
    11. Sisters Love - You've Got To Make Your Choice
    12. Odyssey - Broken Road
    13. Nu Page - A Heart Is A House
    14. Lodi - I Hope I See It In My Lifetime
    15. Frankie Valli & Four Seasons - The Night
    16. Thelma Houston - I Ain't Going Nowhere

Unfortunate that there is nothing even obscure within these 16 titles - Indeed most of these songs were the ones that were readily available on at least promo copies. And only 16 songs. Shame - it could have been so much more comprehensive with say 26 tracks. Very disappointed there isn't at least one unreleased track. Still, as a plus it does come with a 40 page booklet and extensive liner notes and photos.

Will I be buying it - You bet I will!

Hopefully a volume 2 will follow .....

I will purchase the set, but was a little disappointed with the track list. I had hoped for tunes by Leslie Gore, Devastating Affair, Celebration, Reuben Howell [[before moving to the Motown label), Michelle Aller, etc... the obscure ones. Most of the 16 are already available on some compilation or other. Nu Page I do not have. I have the Japanese Odyssey release. I do like their "Georgia Song".