[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Not so. 'Happy' is such a similar arrangement, it couldn't have been an accident. I've lost a lot of respect for Pharrell after listening to this. He clearly cribbed the music from 'Ain't That Peculiar'. He didn't even change the key. I'm not saying that the Marvin Gaye should be given credit but have a listen:

Veddy interestink! Jan may have a point now after listening to this. A nearly perfect fit!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Veddy interestink! Jan may have a point now after listening to this. A nearly perfect fit!
    But what can the Gaye family do? The only thing they can do is make a point. They can't sue. They have no claim to it. Marvin had nothing to do with "Ain't That Peculiar" other than sing it. Believe me, they won't get one cent out of this if they take it to court. And frankly "Happy" doesn't sound a thing like "Ain't That Peculiar." This is getting ridiculous.

^ Janis made it clear that they weren't gonna sue for "Happy". Stop believing rumors, people. They only sued for ONE song. Doubt at this point, they're gonna sue anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    But what can the Gaye family do? The only thing they can do is make a point. They can't sue. They have no claim to it. Marvin had nothing to do with "Ain't That Peculiar" other than sing it. Believe me, they won't get one cent out of this if they take it to court. And frankly "Happy" doesn't sound a thing like "Ain't That Peculiar." This is getting ridiculous.
    Did you listen to the mashup? The melody was not the same but the music was remarkably similar. Of course there was no infringement on Marvin Gaye's royalties, but dude needs to be careful in the future.

I rather like "Happy" with the Funk Bros/"Ain't that Peculiar" as the backing track.

OK, somebody is REALLY trying it! First of all that mashup is bogus because "Ain't That Peculiar" was recorded in the key of E major, and the track in that video was pitched up a half step to F major, the key that "Happy" was recorded in, so that's some bullshit! Bradsupremes said it, the two songs don't even sound alike, and no it's not a perfect fit. Just because two things, in this case the instrumental of "Ain't That Peculiar" and the A Capella vocal of "Happy" could be, or should I say, was obviously manipulated to be in sync tempo wise, and put in the same key, doesn't make it fit. The key that Pharrell goes to on the chorus seriously clashes with key of the change on "Ain't That Peculiar". Again, Bradsupremes said it, "this is ridiculous!"

http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/w...r-2153917.html

Just a day after a judge awarded $7.4 million in the "Blurred Lines" case, Marvin Gaye's family claim they notice the similarities between "Happy" and the late singer's "Ain't That Peculiar".

The similarities between the two songs have been pointed out by some fans, including one who even made a mash-up for comparison purposes:
    Asked about their opinion, Gaye's daughter Nona Gaye said, "I'm not going to lie. I do think they sound alike."

"I heard the mash-ups - but I didn't really need to hear them," Gaye's ex-wife Janis added. "I know 'Ain't That Peculiar' and I've heard 'Happy'."

Are the songs too similar?Are the songs too similar?

However, the family said that they had no plan to take legal action against singer Pharrell Williams.

"We're not in that space," Janis said. "We're just in the moment today and we're satisfied."

In the meantime, Pharrell and Robin Thicke are planning to appeal against the verdict in the "Blurred Lines" case.

Their lawyer Howard E King said earlier this week, "We are going to exercise every post trial remedy we have to make sure this verdict does not stand. We look at it as being in the seventh inning of a game that could go into extra innings."

Good Lord...the saga continues...:

http://thegrio.com/2015/03/26/marvin...lurred-lines/#

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

This was to be expected! Zeola, Zeola, Zeola! Oh how could I forget!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was to be expected! Zeola, Zeola, Zeola! Oh how could I forget!
    Yeah...and isn't she the one they call "Sweetsie"? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yeah...and isn't she the one they call "Sweetsie"? LOL.
    Exactly! She's tried all sorts of ventures to capitalize off of her brother's legacy which none have worked.................

Marvin is probably somewhere steaming mad at his old folks, especially "Sweetsie", the one sibling he was close to.

Probably singing "why can't they just let me be?" Money can show someone's true colors. Sad.

I don't think anyone is making much money off of Gaye's estate. The $7.4 mil from the lawsuit wold be a rather large infusion of cash for the family. It's a shame that Gaye didn't have a will -- even though he was a young man when he died -- and that he didn't make his expectations for how his extended family should be supported known to his widow or children.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I don't think anyone is making much money off of Gaye's estate. The $7.4 mil from the lawsuit wold be a rather large infusion of cash for the family. It's a shame that Gaye didn't have a will -- even though he was a young man when he died -- and that he didn't make his expectations for how his extended family should be supported known to his widow or children.

31 Years ago today...........