[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64
  1. #1

    Exclamation The Supremes - Automatically Sunshine

    The Supremes ever performed Automatically Sunshine on Tv?

  2. #2
    as far as i know, no

  3. #3
    i thought there was a rumor that they did perform on British tv. perhaps Top of the Pops?

    i'm pretty sure it's been discussed somewhere in the forum. probably best to do a search

    i also just commented on the MLC thread and mention Auto. it was released right as Cindy was departing and they were trying to get Lynda integrated into the group. i've always liked this song and thought it should have done better. but with little promotion and no tv push, no wonder it stalled. in my thread i speculate that if cindy had stayed, there might have been more dates and appearances and therefore a higher chart run.

  4. #4
    I've always loved The Supremes "Automatically Sunshine", too. The harmonies are gorgeous on that tune. Smokey's production really swung on that one, and it's my favorite track on the "Floy Joy" album. It deserved to be a hit.

  5. #5
    i love it too. a fav of mine. it's very very similar to Happy Together by the Turtles though. good thing Smokey didn't get in trouble on that like this whole Marvin Gaye issue

    the harmonies are really tight. i would love to hear the andantes stripped. not because i have a problem they're there. would be fun to hear the FJ set similar to how Andy and team did Funny Girl. one version remastered and then another remixed with only MJC singing

  6. #6
    Automatically Sunshine! Smokey doin' 65 in the seventies.

  7. #7
    Yes. It always felt out of place to me and a step backwards after Stoned Love and Nathan Jones..it seemed quite insubstantial. I know I'm in the minority.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    The Supremes ever performed Automatically Sunshine on Tv?
    Yes they did. It was on a British TV show. I recall seeing it on a variety show. My friend who works in the business is trying to locate it. He has found their performance of "nathan jones" on the Cilla Black show which he cannot release at this moment in time but hopefully soon. Fingers crossed.

  9. #9
    I think "Automatically Sunshine" should have been big. I prefer it to the much more popular "Floy Joy". "Floy Joy" is a bit on the annoying side IMO, "Automatically Sunshine" is so sexy, especially Mary's vocals. Since we know that "Touch" was originally recorded with full leads by Jean and Mary (and the producer probably picked the verses from them for each lady like the producers did with most of the Diana and Marvin album), I wonder if "Automatically Sunshine" and "Floy Joy" were done the same way. I'm not excited by the thought of Mary doing "Floy Joy" alone, but am curious what Jean's full lead might sound like. On the flip, I would LOVE a full lead by Mary on "Automatically Sunshine". I know a lot of people are pushing for a 70s Lost and Found, and I understand why, but these are the kinds of things I would like to see if the 70s Supremes albums are given the expanded treatment.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i love it too. a fav of mine. it's very very similar to Happy Together by the Turtles though. good thing Smokey didn't get in trouble on that like this whole Marvin Gaye issue
    the harmonies are really tight. i would love to hear the andantes stripped. not because i have a problem they're there. would be fun to hear the FJ set similar to how Andy and team did Funny Girl. one version remastered and then another remixed with only MJC singing
    A perfect single with sublime shared vocals. I seem to recall rumors at the time of airplay being shut down due to the .. ahem .. similarity to 'Happy Together'. I'm sure the poster(s) here who soiled their Depends over 'Blurred Lines' would agree that copyright/intellectual property invasions were as apparent between HT/AS as they were between GTGIU/BL.

  11. #11
    There's no middle ground with regard to opinions on this song. Seems people either loved it or hated it. I disliked it, just as I disliked "Floy Joy." These songs were just too "cutesy" and "Automatically Sunshine" seemed like a throwback to a musical style which had peaked and ended half a decade earlier, a style which, even at its peak, was was aimed at a much younger audience than would have any interest in The Supremes. Comparisons to "Happy Together" are certainly justified. It seemed like they were just trying to squeeze a third single out of the Floy Joy album.

  12. #12
    I am one of those who love "Automatically Sunshine," and it is one of my favorite "Jean Era" Supremes songs. It's just so funky and fun sounding. Although I like the tempo, I believe it could have worked just as well just a tad slower which would allow more funkiness to come through.

    I am disappointed, however, with the live performances of this and other single releases they would perform on television which were totally too fast.

    On many live performances with the D-F(C),M, lineup, I used to cringe whenever they would hurriedly perform their hits as if they were eager to get back to their supper club songs.
    Last edited by jobucats; 09-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I am one of those who love "Automatically Sunshine," and it is one of my favorite "Jean Era" Supremes songs. It's just so funky and fun sounding. Although I like the tempo, I believe it could have worked just as well just a tad slower which would allow more funkiness to come through.

    I am disappointed, however, with the live performances of this and other single releases they would perform on television which were totally too fast.

    On many live performances with the D-F(C),M, lineup, I used to cringe whenever they would hurriedly perform their hits as if they were eager to get back to their supper club songs.
    Yes to all of this. And I think Mary mentioned in one of her books that "Automatically Sunshine" was the number one record in a couple of markets. I seem to recall DC being one of them. Maybe with more exposure via TV and a full company push the song would have been as big or bigger than "Floy Joy". And I agree that if the song were slowed down it would have been funkier.

  14. #14
    Great record. I recall it was only on the radio for about a month or two in the Fall of 1972.

  15. #15
    I never cared for this song. It just doesn't do it for me. "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love" should have been the follow-up single to "Floy Joy." It probably would have charted higher if it did. For some reason, I felt like "Automatically Sunshine" was a drag and hurt the charting of "Sweet Sweet Love."

  16. #16
    I love "Floy Joy" but I LOVE "Automatically Sunshine"...! It kinda has a funky calypso-thingy feel to it... and I love it... and I would love to see a TV performance of the song!

  17. #17
    It was released right around the time of the switch from Cindy to Lynda. I wonder if that influenced the lack of promotion. No US tv appearances of this one

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    It was released right around the time of the switch from Cindy to Lynda. I wonder if that influenced the lack of promotion. No US tv appearances of this one
    Ignoring the arguable scenario that Motown simply used this excuse to have a "whatever" attitude when it came to the group at this point, what logical reason would there be for the switch to effect promotion of the single? Wouldn't a new "hit" single be the perfect situation to introduce the new girl to the world?

  19. #19
    Imagine me and you , I do

    And
    a whatever attitude wouldn't include having the vice president of the company coming up with a song for you , would it?

    Here're my thoughts:
    The song starts out with this huskier than expected voice, making it clear that when it comes to The Supremes , there's a new lead in town . Then just as I'm adjusting to that, in comes a Diana Ross-ish voice that washes over it . So which is it ? are we moving on to a new Supremes sound , or are we still going to maintain a Diana Ross-like vocal presence?? Besides why isn't Mary just allowed to sing the entire song , this is a first person perspective being sung directly to a guy. ( I , YOU ) Why is this other female even butting in?
    But then, Mary should be glad they didn't hinge this entire tune on her. It's pleasant enough, but there' nothing grand enough about it to carry it very far up the charts, Had only Mary been singing it , I can hear the accusations now ,about how that marks the spot of the Supremes decline.
    To make matters worse , and I'm not expecting any applause with this , but imo, they all sound terrible together on this . Those harmonies couldn't win a high school talent show , sorry!!

    It's a nice song , one you might or might not switch the radio as it played. The term "automatically" sunshine needed to be reworked .


    You're mine and I'm yours
    So who cares if when it rains it pours
    I'm yours and you're mine
    Automatically sunshine,


    how about :

    (we're always basking in...) ?
    (our only weather is... ) ?
    (for us it's constantly...) ?


    I think about you day and night
    it's only right

  20. #20
    I dunno, personally I absolutely adore Automatically Sunshine, it's just so insanely catchy. It's odd, the first time I had heard the song was when I bought the Greatest Hits & Rare Classics tape. I was listening to it in the car, and despite never having heard the song before that point, I was singing along to the chorus as if I'd heard it a million times before. LOL, I have no idea how that happened.

    So that song has a very soft spot in my heart, especially the unedited version(s) that has the bit with the "whoo" part in between the choruses midway through the song. I like when they add stuff to make the song feel a bit more complete.

    Obviously, everyone's milage is varying in this discussion, LOL!

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think "Automatically Sunshine" should have been big. I prefer it to the much more popular "Floy Joy". "Floy Joy" is a bit on the annoying side IMO, "Automatically Sunshine" is so sexy, especially Mary's vocals. Since we know that "Touch" was originally recorded with full leads by Jean and Mary (and the producer probably picked the verses from them for each lady like the producers did with most of the Diana and Marvin album), I wonder if "Automatically Sunshine" and "Floy Joy" were done the same way. I'm not excited by the thought of Mary doing "Floy Joy" alone, but am curious what Jean's full lead might sound like. On the flip, I would LOVE a full lead by Mary on "Automatically Sunshine". I know a lot of people are pushing for a 70s Lost and Found, and I understand why, but these are the kinds of things I would like to see if the 70s Supremes albums are given the expanded treatment.
    I agree with much of what you say. I far prefer AS to Floy Joy which i always found very dull and bland. I would like to hear Jean tackle Floy Joy solo too, and maybe such a recording does exist. AS did go top 10 in the UK as did Floy Joy and i am surprised it fared so badly in the USA. It was hardly Up the ladder, stoned love or nathan Jones but it signalled the beginning of the end for the Supremes for me. By the time the Jimmy Webb atrocity surfaced it was all over bar the shouting.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree with much of what you say. I far prefer AS to Floy Joy which i always found very dull and bland. I would like to hear Jean tackle Floy Joy solo too, and maybe such a recording does exist. AS did go top 10 in the UK as did Floy Joy and i am surprised it fared so badly in the USA. It was hardly Up the ladder, stoned love or nathan Jones but it signalled the beginning of the end for the Supremes for me. By the time the Jimmy Webb atrocity surfaced it was all over bar the shouting.
    It does appear that "Automatically" was the last time pop radio gave the Supremes any real attention (until "Heart Do the Walking" and "Automatically" did slightly better than "Heart"). R&B hung on with "Your Wonderful Sweet Love" but that was the last hurrah for the group there too. I think when the group popped up with "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" and the Jimmy Webb album- both insane directions for the type of group the Supremes were loved for- probably was the kiss of the death.

    "Bad Weather" got the group back on track musically but I'm thinking maybe the public felt it was too little, too late to come back from the Webb fiasco. Which is odd considering the reception the song seemed to get live. That performance they did of BW on Soul Train...those kids went wild for it. You would think it was at least a top 10 hit. Number 74 r&b? How did that happen? Even "The Happening" went number 12, and that song was IMO the least r&b single the Supremes ever released.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    The song starts out with this huskier than expected voice, making it clear that when it comes to The Supremes , there's a new lead in town . Then just as I'm adjusting to that, in comes a Diana Ross-ish voice that washes over it . So which is it ? are we moving on to a new Supremes sound , or are we still going to maintain a Diana Ross-like vocal presence?? Besides why isn't Mary just allowed to sing the entire song , this is a first person perspective being sung directly to a guy. ( I , YOU ) Why is this other female even butting in?
    This is interesting. I've heard the same criticism of "Touch" and until then had never thought about it, but I have to agree a little bit, that the songs may have suffered for having two very different lead singers. The multi lead singers on a song definitely can work (think the Tempts "You're My Everything", and tons of other groups utilized it also, including the Three Degrees) but for some reason this may have been the wrong direction to go in with the Supremes. Other than "Floy Joy", of course, which obviously the public didn't seem to mind the two leads. Maybe the more mellow the song, the more of a bad idea it was. I think both "Touch" and "Sunshine" were tailor made for a voice like Mary's. Jean is certainly capable of doing them both justice, but I think the songs might have been better served with the kind of sexy that Mary's vocals serve up. With both songs as duets it's kind of like two singers on two different pages. Mary approaches them with her beautiful smokey tone while Jean kind of coos in this light and airy voice. They aren't playing off each other, it's kind of like they're playing against each other, if that makes any sense.

    But at the end of the day I loves me some "Automatically Sunshine". (And "Touch".)

  24. #24
    i like Automatically Sunshine. thought it was a good track

  25. #25
    I know some people revile their live medleys, but I actually love Automatically Sunshine in the New Hits Medley on the Live! In Japan album. Unlike the album version, Mary's voice is much more "chesty" in the live version, and since I have Apple Music, it's the only "live" version of the song on a in-circulation recording.

    Funny enough, I didn't know Floy Joy as an album and song were so polarizing. I could see how Automatically Sunshine could have been viewed as dated back then, but I think it has aged well and has a novel sound to it, since it doesn't quite fit.

    I can listen to the Floy Joy album and title track just fine, but the placement of the song within the new hits medley turns me off.

    Funnily enough, my finger knows EXACTLY within the track time where Floy Joy ends and Nathan Jones begins on the medley when I want to skip the part on my Iphone.

    Edit: Did anyone notice how Jean short of struggles during her line in the first verse in the "Japan" version of Automatically Sunshine? Why is that? Was she tired? I know her voice sounds faraway a lot on that album.

  26. #26
    I love "Floy Joy" and "Automatically Sunshine" -- especially the harmonies on the latter. In fact, I'm a huge fan of Smokey's productions on The Supremes -- both with and post-Diana.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I love "Floy Joy" and "Automatically Sunshine" -- especially the harmonies on the latter. In fact, I'm a huge fan of Smokey's productions on The Supremes -- both with and post-Diana.
    Same here Philles/Motown Gary. I thought Smokey's production on the Supremes Floy Joy sparkled and some of the best work he's ever done on other artists.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes they did. It was on a British TV show. I recall seeing it on a variety show. My friend who works in the business is trying to locate it. He has found their performance of "nathan jones" on the Cilla Black show which he cannot release at this moment in time but hopefully soon. Fingers crossed.
    Fingers crossed he can locate both of these which were great songs. The UK company and fans in the 70s knew a good song even if the US equivalents didn't.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree with much of what you say. I far prefer AS to Floy Joy which i always found very dull and bland. I would like to hear Jean tackle Floy Joy solo too, and maybe such a recording does exist. AS did go top 10 in the UK as did Floy Joy and i am surprised it fared so badly in the USA. It was hardly Up the ladder, stoned love or nathan Jones but it signalled the beginning of the end for the Supremes for me. By the time the Jimmy Webb atrocity surfaced it was all over bar the shouting.
    "Automatically Sunshine" was a Top 40 hit in America. That is not so bad. Overall it was a great song from a great album. That album, "Floy Joy" had a number of potential singles something the Supremes rarely had in terms of album tracks in the past.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Automatically Sunshine" was a Top 40 hit in America. That is not so bad. Overall it was a great song from a great album. That album, "Floy Joy" had a number of potential singles something the Supremes rarely had in terms of album tracks in the past.
    To be honest Marv i have been listening to the Jean Terrell years a lot lately and i am enjoying listening to the "floy joy" album a lot more than i have ever done before. I still dislike the title track but i am enjoying the album itself more so than the "touch" album which i now think is the weakest of the Jean led albums aside from the Jimmy Webb album.

  31. #31
    In the 50s, 60s, and 70s there were hundreds of singles released every week competing for usually less than ten top open slots. It would have been easier to pass an Act of Congress than to get on top 40 in the early to mid seventies. Motown started their steep to decline to bankruptcy in the early seventies and did not have the leverage in the 70s that they did in the sixties. The 70s Supremes did not have a go to person in the seventies at Motown. The fact that Mary Wilson was the glue holding the 70s incarnations together shows that she is a tough, strong willed woman.

  32. #32
    Floy Joy is definitely the most cohesive of the Jean albums. like it or not (personally i really like it), from start to finish it is a complete work. all of the other lps had something sort of randomly added or heavy on covers.

    Right On - overall a very strong album and the songs work well together. But that's mostly just because of some intelligent producer that at least made an effort. the tunes though weren't recorded and produced as a set with a specific approach or sound in mind.

    New Ways - overall another great album. i think the "peace, love, god, higher ideal for humanity" theme really worked for the girls and the sound Frank was producing. my only change would be remove Na Na Hey Hey. replace with an original tune more inline with this theme

    touch - Time and Love is hideous lol. always hated that tune regardless of Jean or Di singing it. and totally out of place on this lp. IMO it brings the whole album down. The rest is amazing. outside of that tune, i think Touch is the most cohesive of the Frank albums. it's a great album. i do think though that it would have been tough to pull too many more singles. the songs work best IMO as a set

  33. #33
    I think the problem with Bad Weather comes down to:

    1. the group was "cold" then. had it followed stronger performing singles i think it would have worked
    2. motown didn't promote it
    3. it's not "singable." Jean riffs too much and no one, unless you're as talented of a singer as her, can sing along without sounding bad. when you're the car or shower and singing along with the music, you might not sound good but you can at least laugh along and keep up with the song. There's little to no melody coming from Jean so the song doesn't connect to the listener.

    There's been a lot of stories about Berry and Quality Control wanting to keep things simple, tell a story, understandable and meaningful lyrics. You should be able to easily whistle the tune

    I think that's the biggest problem with Bad Weather. Try whistling the chorus or a verse. then try You Can't Hurry Love or Up the Ladder.

  34. #34
    i don't mean that the girls went into seclusion. just that their promotional appearance might have been pulled back a bit as they got the new girl trained and up to speed. This is also that period of time when Jean was sick and the MLC line up did a few things. plus according to mary's book there was a large australia tour that was cancelled.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    In the 50s, 60s, and 70s there were hundreds of singles released every week competing for usually less than ten top open slots. It would have been easier to pass an Act of Congress than to get on top 40 in the early to mid seventies. Motown started their steep to decline to bankruptcy in the early seventies and did not have the leverage in the 70s that they did in the sixties. The 70s Supremes did not have a go to person in the seventies at Motown. The fact that Mary Wilson was the glue holding the 70s incarnations together shows that she is a tough, strong willed woman.
    True. She is truly all that and more. I remember those days and Top 40 radio was flooded with new music all of the time. There were many more artists and record companies making records then. Saying that it was a competitive environment is putting it mildly.

  36. #36
    Berry Gordy was the Executive Producer for "Floy Joy". Whatever that means.

  37. #37
    i think Automatically could have done better if there were more tv appearances but I assume this is when Cindy was out and Lynda was coming on board. I did like the album but I cant get in to Oh Be My Love. my least fav song on the album. I don't think this song was ever performed on us tv.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i think Automatically could have done better if there were more tv appearances but I assume this is when Cindy was out and Lynda was coming on board. I did like the album but I cant get in to Oh Be My Love. my least fav song on the album. I don't think this song was ever performed on us tv.
    They should have been on TV with "Automatically Sunshine". But as I recall, they did not perform "Floy Joy" after the one time on Merv Griffin's show in January 1972 until their Soul Train appearance in March of 1973! They appeared on the Sonny & Cher Show sometime later like around June of '72 to perform "Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" and directly after that on the Flip Wilson Show. My point is they did not do very many TV appearances to support that album or the singles dropped from it. I believe a big part of that was the personnel change and the time in which it happened.

  39. #39
    It was pleasant. That is the best I can offer.

  40. #40
    "Floy Joy" was the beginning of the end for pop hits, at least in NY;
    77WABC AM (home of Cousin Brucie until the mid 70's when he went to WNBC)played all the Jean led singles (Ladder, Everybody's,Stoned,River,Nathan) but once "Touch" flopped in such an enormous way,they never played another Supremes track; the FM 99X(WXLO) played "Floy" but they had no ratings/audience,and WABC never played "Floy" or anything that followed, at which point, as a die hard Supremes fan, I knew that the party was over..as went 77WABC, so went the world..

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    "Floy Joy" was the beginning of the end for pop hits, at least in NY;
    77WABC AM (home of Cousin Brucie until the mid 70's when he went to WNBC)played all the Jean led singles (Ladder, Everybody's,Stoned,River,Nathan) but once "Touch" flopped in such an enormous way,they never played another Supremes track; the FM 99X(WXLO) played "Floy" but they had no ratings/audience,and WABC never played "Floy" or anything that followed, at which point, as a die hard Supremes fan, I knew that the party was over..as went 77WABC, so went the world..
    I met Cousin Brucie but that was after he had join WCBS. You are right. I was in Michigan and Ohio in those days and the Top 40 AM stations were seriously in decline. FM was more segregated and more album oriented. You are also right about the Supremes receiving less and less radio airplay. They still got played in Canada on CKLW which covered Detroit, Toledo and I believe Cleveland could pick them up, but only a few local Soul stations played their music on through to the Scherrie Payne years and even then the spins were sparse. LOL!

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    It was pleasant. That is the best I can offer.
    I agree. Pleasant but instantly forgettable. I found the whole album that way.

    I think it really should have worked better, but I think Terrell's voice was not the kind that best sings Smokey's songs. I think of the album as kind of a parallel to "Return of the Marvelettes" - an album largely made up of Smokey "trunk songs" - material he'd had a lot of it around for quite a while. But whereas "Return" is compelling and has a great urgent quality to it, "Floy Joy" (the LP) just ends up seeming so bland and inconsequential. The album might have been better if there was even more of Mary in the solo spot but for the time the album made great strides in that department. Anyway, I know this album has its fans though I don't think even they are all that fervent over it. Sorry to have offended any of you guys, though. Just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-16-2017 at 09:01 PM.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think the problem with Bad Weather comes down to:
    3. it's not "singable." Jean riffs too much and no one, unless you're as talented of a singer as her, can sing along without sounding bad. when you're the car or shower and singing along with the music, you might not sound good but you can at least laugh along and keep up with the song. There's little to no melody coming from Jean so the song doesn't connect to the listener.

    There's been a lot of stories about Berry and Quality Control wanting to keep things simple, tell a story, understandable and meaningful lyrics. You should be able to easily whistle the tune

    I think that's the biggest problem with Bad Weather. Try whistling the chorus or a verse. then try You Can't Hurry Love or Up the Ladder.
    Sup Fan I'm not buying this. I don't think Jean riffed any more than any other r&b singer of the time. If the public can sing Aretha, there should be no problem singing Jean's "Bad Weather". Lol I also tried whistling the chorus and have to admit the whistle isn't as easy as some other songs. But "Touch Me In the Morning" was a number one hit that year and I actually find the chorus of that to be as "difficult" a whistle as "Bad Weather".

    I think your second scenario is probably the most likely culprit to "Bad Weather"'s downfall: Motown just didn't push it.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree. Pleasant but instantly forgettable. I found the whole album that way.

    I think it really should have worked better, but I think Terrell's voice was not the kind that best sings Smokey's songs. I think of the album as kind of a parallel to "Return of the Marvelettes" - an album largely made up of Smokey "trunk songs" - material he'd had a lot of it around for quite a while. But whereas "Return" is compelling and has a great urgent quality to it, "Floy Joy" (the LP) just ends up seeming so bland and inconsequential. The album might have been better if there was even more of Mary in the solo spot but for the time the album made great strides in that department. Anyway, I know this album has its fans though I don't think even they are all that fervent over it. Sorry to have offended any of you guys, though. Just one man's opinion.
    No offense here Kenneth. Everyone has their favorites and non favorites. The FG album happens to be a favorite of mine, but I will admit that you have a great point about Mary. I think her voice would have been a perfect fit for Smokey's productions and she should have gotten more than one lead there. As it is, "A Heart Like Mine" is probably my favorite song on the album and one of my favorites period of the Supremes.

  45. #45
    valid points and don't necessarily disagree with them. But the Supremes sound and fan base wasn't the heavy "soul" sound like Aretha. it certainly became more r&b with Jean in the group. The group had always been more pop and that was the sound people associated with them. BW was a real departure for them. in the grand scheme of music, no, it's not the most hard-edged r&b songs out there. not by a long shot. But radio stations and fans that were seeking that type of sound, typically would not have looked to the Supremes to provide it.

    and you should post a youtube of you whistling Bad Weather! lolololol would love to see that

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No offense here Kenneth. Everyone has their favorites and non favorites. The FG album happens to be a favorite of mine, but I will admit that you have a great point about Mary. I think her voice would have been a perfect fit for Smokey's productions and she should have gotten more than one lead there. As it is, "A Heart Like Mine" is probably my favorite song on the album and one of my favorites period of the Supremes.
    I agree, Mary nails the vocal on that one. I think the female singers that best sang Smokey's songs had a softer, often alto (although Wanda was no alto), sometimes even "androgynous" quality to their voices - Wells, Rogers, Wilson. Reeves must have sung some of Smokey's songs, but most notably her version of "No More Tearstained Makeup" is one of her most understated performances.

    I also liked "Oh Be My Love," for a much needed boost to the mood but unfortunately is the last track as I recall.

  47. #47
    "Bad Weather" fit in perfectly with what was popular on the radio at that time. Just give a listen to most Al Green singles, the Chi-Lite's "Stone Out of My Mind', Stevie Wonder "Higher Ground","Superstition" The Spinners "One of A Kind" etc,etc. The Supremes and "Bad Weather" had a similar groove. Just no promotion to the public or to radio stations.

  48. #48
    Bad Weather did not pass the 'I wanna play the new Supremes single over and over again' test for me...I had such high hopes for the group when I heard of Stevie's involvement.. it just was not 'catchy'..sorry, everyone, sounded like a demo at best..it sounded lazy, hazy and crazy, but did not sound like a hit.. I wish it did, but, for me, at least, major let down, the "Love Train' cover would have done better in all honesty

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    and you should post a youtube of you whistling Bad Weather! lolololol would love to see that
    Ha! I wouldn't dare embarrass myself that way. I would definitely need to have my whistles replaced by the Andantes.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree, Mary nails the vocal on that one. I think the female singers that best sang Smokey's songs had a softer, often alto (although Wanda was no alto), sometimes even "androgynous" quality to their voices - Wells, Rogers, Wilson. Reeves must have sung some of Smokey's songs, but most notably her version of "No More Tearstained Makeup" is one of her most understated performances.

    I also liked "Oh Be My Love," for a much needed boost to the mood but unfortunately is the last track as I recall.
    I agree 100 percent. I think I've remarked in this group before about Smokey's ability to produce women with lower toned voices. His productions just seemed tailor made for them. And Mary Wilson was a perfect voice for some of those recordings.

    As for "Oh Be My Love", it's pleasant enough but it has never been one of the songs I played a lot. My favs on the album were "A Heart Like Mine", "Over and Over", "Precious Little Things" and "The Wisdom of Time", and of course "Automatically Sunshine".

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.