[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Bad Weather did not pass the 'I wanna play the new Supremes single over and over again' test for me...I had such high hopes for the group when I heard of Stevie's involvement.. it just was not 'catchy'..sorry, everyone, sounded like a demo at best..it sounded lazy, hazy and crazy, but did not sound like a hit.. I wish it did, but, for me, at least, major let down, the "Love Train' cover would have done better in all honesty
    Can't fault you for feeling what you feel, but "Love Train" as a single wouldn't have done any better and would have been a horrible choice. The song was already freshly a HUGE hit and the Supremes version pales CONSIDERABLY in comparison. I can't imagine anyone rushing out to get that.

I liked Automatically Sunshine, found it a very nice pop tune with a nice hook. I think the fact that Mary sang it so nicely when her forte were slow, soulful ballads was a precursor to her work on the 1975 LP The Supremes. I found Sweet, Sweet Love had a more aggressive vocal from Jean, similar to This is the Story and similar to Scherrie's work in the group. I actually heard Automatically Sunshine on the radio, the next one I heard on the radio was 1976's IGLMHDTW. I think if Cindy had stayed rather than Lynda joining the general public would have supported them more just for the continuity, when Cindy came back in 1973 Mary wrote that the time off showed and Cindy said being a Supreme didn't mean the same to her anymore. Nothing against Lynda and her amazing talent but had the group still had Cindy maybe motown would have been more supportive even the general public-wonder if Cindy had stayed and Jean had left and was replaced by Scherrie that it wouldn't have been such an uphill battle with Motown and the public. Still, I like the song but the whole Smokey LP was rather "bouncy" in my opinion lacking a substance in song, production and vocals that the first 3 LPs explored. As for Jimmy Webb, that was a mis-step that did not work despite some nice songs like I Keep It Hid.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 09-18-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: mis spelled word

I agree, jim, about "Automatically Sunshine"... it is is very cute and lovely and catchy! Wonderful hook and typically clever and unique Smokey lyrics!! The single actually made the Top Ten here in the UK, and rightfully so IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I liked Automatically Sunshine, found it a very nice pop tune with a nice hook. I think the fact that Mary sang it so nicely when her forte were slow, soulful ballads was a precursor to her work on the 1975 LP The Supremes. I found Sweet, Sweet Love had a more aggressive vocal from Jean, similar to This is the Story and similar to Scherrie's work in the group. I actually heard Automatically Sunshine on the radio, the next one I heard on the radio was 1976's IGLMHDTW. I think if Cindy had stayed rather than Lynda joining the general public would have supported them more just for the continuity, when Cindy came back in 1973 Mary wrote that the time off showed and Cindy said being a Supreme didn't mean the same to her anymore. Nothing against Lynda and her amazing talent but had the group still had Cindy maybe motown would have been more supportive even the general public-wonder if Cindy had stayed and Jean had left and was replaced by Scherrie that it wouldn't have been such an uphill battle with Motown and the public. Still, I like the song but the whole Smokey LP was rather "bouncy" in my opinion lacking a substance in song, production and vocals that the first 3 LPs explored. As for Jimmy Webb, that was a mis-step that did not work despite some nice songs like I Keep It Hid.
    Do you feel that way about "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Do you feel that way about "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet"?
    I thought it had a nice hook and sound sounds that were similar to what was used in New Ways But Love Stays. It was nice hearing them all say bitter and sweet. I am not sure if that would have been a good single choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I thought it had a nice hook and sound sounds that were similar to what was used in New Ways But Love Stays. It was nice hearing them all say bitter and sweet. I am not sure if that would have been a good single choice, though.
    Maybe not a single, but perfect for FM radio in the early 70s. It does sound like it could have come from the "New Ways But Love Stays" album.

two observations after reviewing this thread :

Automatically Sunshine was generally liked as a nice enough song, but probably not enough to make anyone's Top Ten Supremes Songs list ,
    and
    the public got weary of hearing the Supremes sing about the weather.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    two observations after reviewing this thread :

Automatically Sunshine was generally liked as a nice enough song, but probably not enough to make anyone's Top Ten Supremes Songs list ,
    and
    the public got weary of hearing the Supremes sing about the weather.
    Very funny. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    Very funny. Lol
    Did you click on "Notifications" at the top of this screen?

John G. Stumpf Guest

?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you click on "Notifications" at the top of this screen?
    Thanks! This information will be put to good use.

Your post is one of my favorites and a long long long long time as I love your alternative lyrics…… I don't know if I like them better but I love the fact that you thought them up and share them with us thank you!… I do disagree with you however about the sound of the Supremes as I don't feel the public gave a damn van for now as to what voices they were hearing as long as they liked what they were hearing… The Temptations had chiller records out with david, Eddie, Paul, Dennis, duets and all five singing lead… I just think that as much as I do 'like' this record, Mary could have enunciated a little better and maybe been slightly less hushed in her delivery, Jean a lot less strident in her delivery - as the diversity of the two sounds is a little jarring… and the harmony, while I don't think it's as bad as you do, doesn't sound like something that was going to drive the general public to it. That being said, I still do play and enjoy this record. QUOTE=Boogiedown;412797]Imagine me and you , I do

And
    a whatever attitude wouldn't include having the vice president of the company coming up with a song for you , would it?

Here're my thoughts:
    The song starts out with this huskier than expected voice, making it clear that when it comes to The Supremes , there's a new lead in town . Then just as I'm adjusting to that, in comes a Diana Ross-ish voice that washes over it . So which is it ? are we moving on to a new Supremes sound , or are we still going to maintain a Diana Ross-like vocal presence?? Besides why isn't Mary just allowed to sing the entire song , this is a first person perspective being sung directly to a guy. [[ I , YOU ) Why is this other female even butting in?
    But then, Mary should be glad they didn't hinge this entire tune on her. It's pleasant enough, but there' nothing grand enough about it to carry it very far up the charts, Had only Mary been singing it , I can hear the accusations now ,about how that marks the spot of the Supremes decline.
    To make matters worse , and I'm not expecting any applause with this , but imo, they all sound terrible together on this . Those harmonies couldn't win a high school talent show , sorry!!

It's a nice song , one you might or might not switch the radio as it played. The term "automatically" sunshine needed to be reworked .

You're mine and I'm yours
    So who cares if when it rains it pours
    I'm yours and you're mine
    Automatically sunshine,

how about :

[[we're always basking in...) ?
    [[our only weather is... ) ?
    [[for us it's constantly...) ?

I think about you day and night
    it's only right
    [/QUOTE]

totally right on analysis of how weak "Sunshine' was , as was "Floy"; silly fluffy nursery rhymes, when played against , for example the powerful singles by The Honey Cone from that era , or a record like "When Will I See You again" by Three Degrees, this material was very un Supremes ish and the clash of the voices was never something that said "Supremes' to most people..totally agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    totally right on analysis of how weak "Sunshine' was , as was "Floy"; silly fluffy nursery rhymes, when played against , for example the powerful singles by The Honey Cone from that era , or a record like "When Will I See You again" by Three Degrees, this material was very un Supremes ish and the clash of the voices was never something that said "Supremes' to most people..totally agreed
    They were indeed fluffy insubstantial songs when compared to the material being recorded by other female groups at the time, and i just don't care for Mary Wilson's voice as the lead. when you compare these songs to the earlier Jean led classics such as Roof, Stoned Love and Nathan Jones , the quality was just not there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post

Your post is one of my favorites and a long long long long time as I love your alternative lyrics…… I don't know if I like them better but I love the fact that you thought them up and share them with us thank you!… I do disagree with you however about the sound of the Supremes as I don't feel the public gave a damn van for now as to what voices they were hearing as long as they liked what they were hearing… The Temptations had chiller records out with david, Eddie, Paul, Dennis, duets and all five singing lead… I just think that as much as I do 'like' this record, Mary could have enunciated a little better and maybe been slightly less hushed in her delivery, Jean a lot less strident in her delivery - as the diversity of the two sounds is a little jarring… and the harmony, while I don't think it's as bad as you do, doesn't sound like something that was going to drive the general public to it. That being said, I still do play and enjoy this record.
    thanks MotownManiac for thinking so highly of it , even though you don't agree with any of it lol!!!

I agree that shared leads can be terrific and can greatly add to a song's interpretation [[ Spinners!) JUST MY IMAGINATION is a classic example and why do I think it works there where it doesn't work as well here? One reason: because in MY IMAGINATION the woman isn't being addressed directly [[ She , her , she ) each member can sing about "her" from a dreamy distance . In AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE , the scenario is directly sung to [[ instead of "about" ) someone "you and me" so , imo it makes more sense for just one person to sing the lyrics, or it could be a great duo, a male and female singing back and forth about their automatically sunshine relationship. Does that makes sense , maybe not. And I agree, does the average record buyer stop to worry about such nuances , likely not.

Also "AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE" as a title, I think looks great in print , its just that when its actually sung in the context of this song, that it comes across sounding awkward imo, and that's why I was suggesting some alternative options .