[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Those are some really great choices.

[[I Know) I'm Losing You. I consider everything about that song to be absolutely perfect! I heard one stereo mix that almost eliminated Eddie, Paul, Melvin and Otis in the background and THAT is a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    [[I Know) I'm Losing You. I consider everything about that song to be absolutely perfect! I heard one stereo mix that almost eliminated Eddie, Paul, Melvin and Otis in the background and THAT is a shame!

It was one of their most soulful and danceable record.

It was one of their most soulful and danceable record.

Hey my temptaholics, i was thinking about the fact that david's name never arreared on any songwriting credits,did he ever write or contribute to the writing of a temps song?

Stereo mixes suck. In mono, you can hear EVERYTHING and yes that was one of their perfect records... Cornelius' guitar starting it off and then David's "ooo"...and you're set! As Otis said in "Unsung", that song is "funky as an unwashed armpit"!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    A question for all my temptaholics, and read this very carefully before you answer,now out of all the many,many great songs by our guys what is the one song in thier tremendous catalog that gives you goose bumps and almost brings a tear to your ears because it's soooo perfect? Now it may not be the song that's your personal favorite but just one that moves you like no other..for me the timeless perfection of what i will always call the greatest first tenor lead in soul music history...the girl's alright with me, this song for me is mezmorizing...think before you answer...temptations forever.
    Too many to name.

Since I Lost My Baby, [[I Know) I'm Losing You, Get Ready, I Wish It Would Rain, Runaway Child, Running Wild, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Ball of Confusion, Don't Look Back, I Want a Love I Can See, Dream Come True, Shakey Ground, Power... I can go on and on.

But I think of all of them, My Girl holds it in. It was really THE perfect song... bass, guitar, percussion, drums, vocals, strings... what else? Jesus David...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Too many to name.

Since I Lost My Baby, [[I Know) I'm Losing You, Get Ready, I Wish It Would Rain, Runaway Child, Running Wild, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Ball of Confusion, Don't Look Back, I Want a Love I Can See, Dream Come True, Shakey Ground, Power... I can go on and on.

But I think of all of them, My Girl holds it in. It was really THE perfect song... bass, guitar, percussion, drums, vocals, strings... what else? Jesus David...
    See I could have named a bunch of them, but noooooooooooooooo LOL!

FLASHBACK! Now how's this for a blast from the past? Eddie Kendricks and the Young Senators:

Attachment 9738

Stereo mixes suck. In mono, you can hear EVERYTHING and yes that was one of their perfect records... Cornelius' guitar starting it off and then David's "ooo"...and you're set! As Otis said in "Unsung", that song is "funky as an unwashed armpit"!
    For me it's hit or miss. Some stereo mixes I absolutely love, but others are an abomination. Of course, it depends on the song. One example of a superior mono mix is the Isley Brothers "That's the Way Love Is." The stereo mix is simply unlistenable to me.

Hey marv,the young senators were from d.c. And they were eddie's backing band in his early solo career,i don't know if they were with him in the later years.

Hey marv,the young senators were from d.c. And they were eddie's backing band in his early solo career,i don't know if they were with him in the later years.
    JAI yeah. They came with him to Detroit as late as the mid 70s [[1975-76).

Cool,marv did david ever write anything with the group? I've never seen his name listed on anything they did.

My temptaholics, blue stated that he was the shortest temp at[6'1]but look at ron i think he's at lease[2 in]shorter than melvin which would make him[5'11]and the shortest temp, it also would put him under the[6ft]rule for being a temp.

Cool,marv did david ever write anything with the group? I've never seen his name listed on anything they did.
    If he did, they never let him record it on them. You know how Motown was at that time.........

I know marv, just wondering because all of the classic temps contributed to songs at one time or other.

I know marv, just wondering because all of the classic temps contributed to songs at one time or other.
    But during first Golden era, Berry Gordy refused to let most artist write for themselves and have publishing rights.

True,but eddie co-wrote the classic[the girl's alright with me]and otis helped pen[check yourself].

True,but eddie co-wrote the classic[the girl's alright with me]and otis helped pen[check yourself].
    Ok, but I am not even going to guess who got the publishing. LOL!!

Hehehe...oh we know they would never get within shouting distance of that.

The Temptations performing at the Super Bowl in 1998:

Here is a nice, brief profile on the wholly underrated Mr. Richard Street:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is a nice, brief profile on the wholly underrated Mr. Richard Street:

I love it! He is deff underrated. I do wish that more of his songs were included. But this is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    I love it! He is deff underrated. I do wish that more of his songs were included. But this is fine too.
    Candykamaine, how have you been? I definitely agree that Richard was very underrated and taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by candykamaine View Post
    I have Richards book......"Ball of Confusion: My Life As A Temptin' Temptation" and it is really good. You should check it out.

Now here's a great memory..................

supremester Guest
    They shooda gotten the publishing because they were not Motown employees and only signed their contracts to cover their work as a performer. Which is why they own The Tempts' name unlike The Supremes or J5.

Ok, but I am not even going to guess who got the publishing. LOL!!

Classic in every way! Thank you midnightman!

^ You're welcome marv!

Here is another classic television performance:

Pure voice, pure vocal power, pure talent here...................

Funny,as i'm reading this[just my imagination]is playing,very temptin!!!

the classic 6 were great

I still wish Richard Street was in the RRHOF with them

edafan

I guess I was not the only that had problems with certain things in the "Temptations" movie.....

...and the saga continues! Just in time for New Year's introducing the newest Temptations line up and newest Tempts: Larry Braggs and Willie Greene!

Attachment 10929

I wonder why Brian left. I imagine Joe, being in advanced age, couldn't take the rigors of the road anymore?

I wonder why Brian left. I imagine Joe, being in advanced age, couldn't take the rigors of the road anymore?
    You mean Bruce right? Maybe weight - watchers had been calling and they wouldn't take no for an answer! LOL!!!

*DOH!* Yeah Bruce lol

Those suits make them look like deacons...let the church say amen!!!

Those suits make them look like deacons...let the church say amen!!!
    AMEN! They do look like deacons in that pic.

Anyone know what those guys are up to now?

David Ruffin didnt need any autotune as did many other Motown greats! Thanks Marv!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    David Ruffin didnt need any autotune as did many other Motown greats! Thanks Marv!
    I had the opportunity to talk with Melvin Davis the other night and he mentioned that he and David Ruffin were roommates before David joined the Temptations. They looked so much alike, that many thought they were related. They also use to borrow each other clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    David Ruffin certainly did not need autotune. In the right environment, he didn't even need a mic!

I decided to bump this one up. It might help with our discussion on favorite Temptations Era.

I'm tempted [[pun intended) to answer the original question with "I Wish It Would Rain" or "Just My Imagination" but no. A much as I love it, it doesn't have that instantly identifiable Motown Sound, IMHO.

"All I Need" is just about the one perfect Temptations song for me.

It is at least number two or three were I to list my absolute favorite Motown songs [[which I never would). Along with "Nowhere to Run", "I'm Ready for Love", "Reach Out", "Up the Ladder" and "Stop!", "All I Need" just so completely encapsulates Motown and is such a spot-on Tempts song, it would be my choice for "timeless perfection".
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-04-2017 at 09:32 PM.

*Bump*

As a longtime 'lurker' I remember this discussion a few years ago and saved the thread to my favorites. Four years later, this question is just as relevant in 2019 as it was in 2015, especially, since The Temptations have yet, another 'tho unannounced new member. Who is the "new" Tempts member? A certified powerhouse, by the name of Glenn [[I've Been Searchin') Jones. Who is Jones replacing? Larry [[Tower of Power) Braggs.

Why so Many Temptations??? Let the
    discussion resume...

The Temptations 2016-2019

Glenn Jones

I was thinking today [[ I know, scary huh? LOL!) why were there so many Temptations, replacement members or what have you? I think there were something like 300 Temptations and counting. Well, maybe not quite that many, but there were a lot of them.

Why do think there were so many individual Temptation members?

Thanks Marv2 for starting this thread!!!

The Temptations quartet...No Larry Braggs

Last edited by MusicWise; 11-16-2019 at 08:10 PM.