[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    JENNINGS: Going back — Temptations, Chubby Checker and rockers Europe bring the hits this weekend

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/...2b8ac0535.html

Well David wasn't ready to leave the Temptations when they ousted him so of course he wasn't used to being back as a solo singer. He was such a fanboy of the Tempts during the group's early years. It's no shock he begged Otis to get in [[that I believe from Otis). Eddie Kendricks was more independent than the other Tempts than what was let on.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well David wasn't ready to leave the Temptations when they ousted him so of course he wasn't used to being back as a solo singer. He was such a fanboy of the Tempts during the group's early years. It's no shock he begged Otis to get in [[that I believe from Otis). Eddie Kendricks was more independent than the other Tempts than what was let on.

I agree as we know Eddie was the first of the original members to leave on his own.

Eddie was also a good guy. He tried to help Florence Ballard when she was down on her luck.

Eddie Kendrick, David Ruffin, Dennis Edwards

Eddie Kendrick David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards live Detroit

I was at this show......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Eddie Kendrick David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards live Detroit

I was at this show......

Premier Center in Sterling Heights?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Premier Center in Sterling Heights?
    No, Chassie's downtown.

It was Mary and Eddie for New Year's Eve at the Premeir Center when David was there.

I saw their last show in London. Seeing these video clips brings back memories.

I guess I should be thankful that I still have them.

It was Mary and Eddie for New Year's Eve at the Premeir Center when David was there.
    Yes along with Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson backing Mary. It was a great show.

the Temptations at their best....................

Of the Unsung Temptations stories, which ones would you pick: David or Eddie?

Of the Unsung Temptations stories, which ones would you pick: David or Eddie?
    Eddie's because David's story is far too complicated to tell in a 45min - 1 hour program.

Yes along with Robin Alexander and Karen Jackson backing Mary. It was a great show.
    I thought Mary Robin and Karen had a great blend. I also saw the Spinners there, man they were good. The sound system seemed top notch.

Eddie Kendrick, David Ruffin, Dennis Edwards

thanks for posting! What a powerhouse group; add in a bass singer and there you have it! David' s voice is something else- not criticizing Dennis and Eddie at all.

thanks for posting! What a powerhouse group; add in a bass singer and there you have it! David' s voice is something else- not criticizing Dennis and Eddie at all.
    This grouping was superb! They sounded great together, got along very well together [[personal issues aside) and should have recorded new songs as a group.

Does anyone know if Otis ever approached Dennis to join the Temps? I would think it would contribute to the legitimacy of the group. I really like Dennis' Temptations review.

Does anyone know if Otis ever approached Dennis to join the Temps? I would think it would contribute to the legitimacy of the group. I really like Dennis' Temptations review.
    I am not sure if he's done that. I know that it would be more difficult now for Dennis to dissolve his "Temptation's Review" act after it has been a fairly successful one for approx. 20 years now.

This is one hell of a good thread. Thanks for starting it, Marv, and all who have participated.

No prob, Ralph. Marv really started a great thread with this, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    This is one hell of a good thread. Thanks for starting it, Marv, and all who have participated.
    Ralph, you are welcome!

No prob, Ralph. Marv really started a great thread with this, didn't he?
    Thanks midnightman, but you helped with your great contributions.

Hey marv,we all know that this temps thread is gonna be like the energizer bunny...it keeps going an going an going an going....temptations forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,we all know that this temps thread is gonna be like the energizer bunny...it keeps going an going an going an going....temptations forever!!!
    I know what you mean. I think it is a good thing and it is definitely Motown related!

I know what you mean. I think it is a good thing and it is definitely Motown related!
    Hey Marv! Yeah great thread and pretty much stayed on track. Learned quite a bit too.

Hey Marv! Yeah great thread and pretty much stayed on track. Learned quite a bit too.
    Well thank you and I am glad. There is still a lot to talk about when it comes to the Temptations.

that show with David Eddie and Dennis are the real Temptations

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    that show with David Eddie and Dennis are the real Temptations

edafan
    I know a lot of people that would agree with you.

Hello everyone,
    I have been perusing this forum for a good while now. This is my first post.
    Although I am too young to have experienced the "classic" Tempts, that does not prevent me from being a fan. I so enjoy the Smokey and Norman eras, as different as they are from one another.
    In the late '80s [[I believe) in Pennsauken, NJ, there was a free oldies concert and Dennis, Eddie and David and a few other guys were there, along with the fake Marvelettes and others. The "Former Lead Singers of the Temptations" put on a heck of a show!! The lady I was attending the show with was wearing a straw hat and Eddie came over to her and she gave him her hat!! Afterwards, Dennis signed autographs. David stayed in the trailor when he wasn't onstage. He sang only a medley of his biggest hits when he was on stage.
    Memories I will always cherish, especially since David and Eddie died not long afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Although I am too young to have experienced the "classic" Tempts, that does not prevent me from being a fan. I so enjoy the Smokey and Norman eras, as different as they are from one another.
    In the late '80s [[I believe) in Pennsauken, NJ, there was a free oldies concert and Dennis, Eddie and David and a few other guys were there, along with the fake Marvelettes and others. The "Former Lead Singers of the Temptations" put on a heck of a show!! The lady I was attending the show with was wearing a straw hat and Eddie came over to her and she gave him her hat!! Afterwards, Dennis signed autographs. David stayed in the trailor when he wasn't onstage. He sang only a medley of his biggest hits when he was on stage.
    Memories I will always cherish, especially since David and Eddie died not long afterwards.
    What great story and welcome Lockhartgary! i know Pennsauken, NJ. That sounds like a great time, that show.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Did David sing his solo or Tempts leads for the medley? Thanks in advance.

Ralph, you are welcome!
    Hey Marv: you going to get the thread of the year award lol! This has been fun as the Tempts have quite a history. In wish I knew the real happenings/involvement/history as far as Johnnie Mae Mathews is concerned.

Hey Marv: you going to get the thread of the year award lol! This has been fun as the Tempts have quite a history. In wish I knew the real happenings/involvement/history as far as Johnnie Mae Mathews is concerned.
    Wouldn't that be something? LOL!

I know a lot of people that would agree with you.
    thanks Marv; one little criticism of this great show; and a lot of the oldies shows is that I want the original tempo.

Some of the tempos were faster than the original

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    thanks Marv; one little criticism of this great show; and a lot of the oldies shows is that I want the original tempo.

Some of the tempos were faster than the original

edafan
    You edafan, I am totally with you on that! For years I hated when some of my long time favorite artists would rush through the songs that made them great when in concert. The medley format just does not work for me. Most of the time the hits would be rushed [[except in the case of Marvin Gaye where he sang all his old hits at half speed!LOL!). One of the few classic acts I enjoyed very much when they would do their hits was the Four Tops. They stuck to the original tempos. Mary Wilson has also gone back to the original tempo of the songs in recent years.

Did David sing his solo or Tempts leads for the medley? Thanks in advance.
    IIRC, he sang his Tempts leads. One song I distinctly remember was, "I Could Never Love Another After Loving You." He only sang a few lines from each song, and he was wearing a jumpsuit [[orange or blue, I believe) while the others wore matching outfits. Before he hit the stage, I saw him exit the trailer and I marked out! I called his name and he then looked at me and waved. Nobody else seemed to notice when he exited the trailer.

Good point guys,the times that i really miss david the most is when[my girl]comes up, with all respect to the many who've sung it with the group down through the years,let's be real here and admit that[my girl]is david's and nobody can do it better.

I have had this album for something like 44 years [[gulp!) I haven't looked at the jacket in a very longtime.

Name:  Temptations-Cloud-Nine-.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  92.1 KB

This is the back of the jacket as I remember:

Name:  the-temptations-cloud-nine-album-vinyl.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  51.5 KB

Anyone know what version had this alternate back side:

Name:  Cloud-Nine-2-picture.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  93.2 KB

Here's a little test. Can you pick out all the things that are wrong about the cover of this CD?

Name:  eddie kendricks and the temptations.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  49.5 KB

Other than Eddy isn't in the picture, it is a hell of a nice album cover, Marv.

supremester Guest
    Eddie is not in the pic & doesn't sing on Papa Was A Rolling Stone

I have had this album for something like 44 years [[gulp!) I haven't looked at the jacket in a very longtime.

Name:  Temptations-Cloud-Nine-.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  92.1 KB

This is the back of the jacket as I remember:

Name:  the-temptations-cloud-nine-album-vinyl.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  51.5 KB

Anyone know what version had this alternate back side:

Name:  Cloud-Nine-2-picture.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  93.2 KB
    That looks like a cd version. 530 is a CD prefix

Other than Eddy isn't in the picture, it is a hell of a nice album cover, Marv.
    Ralph you are absolutely right, but there other "mistakes" with Eddie missing from the picture being the biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Eddie is not in the pic & doesn't sing on Papa Was A Rolling Stone
    Another correct, but partially correct answer. Look closer.................

I can see only two microphones.

Wouldn't there usually have been one microphone for the lead singer, and a four-headed microphone stand for the other group members?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I can see only two microphones.

Wouldn't there usually have been one microphone for the lead singer, and a four-headed microphone stand for the other group members?
    Bam! There you go! That was the other most glaring mistake. Also notice the song selection they chose to highlight along the bottom. None are Eddie Kendricks leads.

Hey my temptaholics,here's a quik temps quiz[hehe]when the temps appeared at the grammys in[1968]and won for[cloud nine]only four of them were present,who was missing and why???

Marv,
    In the early days they didn't use the 5 mic system.

Marv,
    In the early days they didn't use the 5 mic system.
    Ralph that is true, but if you look at that pic, the members include, Melvin Franklin, Otis Williams, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street and Glen Carl Leonard putting the time frame of that pic somewhere between 1975- 80! [[I know we are being knit picky hehehehehehe....) so the "cobra" mic would have more than likely been used. There could have been a number of reasons why it was not used in that particular instance, it just seemed strange to me after being so use to seeing it onstage.