[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Question for my temptaholics..when was the last time you saw the[classic]temps in concert? For me it was[1967]at crampton hall in d.c.
    My next door neighbor and I caught the bus to the Michigan State Fair in '66 to see them. Martha & the Vandellas and Tammi Terrell were on the show too. Technically the last time I saw the classic Tempts perform was at Cobo Arena in Detroit in 1969. Dennis was in the group by then, but Ruffin jumped on the stage and took over the mic for a minute, I thought the place was about to explode. I've seen them many times since then, but these were my favorite shows.

Nice thread Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    My next door neighbor and I caught the bus to the Michigan State Fair in '66 to see them. Martha & the Vandellas and Tammi Terrell were on the show too. Technically the last time I saw the classic Tempts perform was at Cobo Arena in Detroit in 1969. Dennis was in the group by then, but Ruffin jumped on the stage and took over the mic for a minute, I thought the place was about to explode. I've seen them many times since then, but these were my favorite shows.

Nice thread Marv.
    Thank you Gary. The Temptations were such a big part of the music l grew up with.....

I, like millions remember watching this particular performance on the Ed Sullivan Show. In the days before cable most of the nation tuned in to the same programs across the country. The Temptations were one of those rare groups where the individual members became known by name and look. They were all very different but as a unit....the sound that they produced could not be matched!

This is good read Marv,good info,i stop keeping up with The Temptations long ago,but i'm catching up on them,because of this post,Thanks for sharing Marv.

Saw The Temptations last night here in So Cal...Give Otis credit for keeping the legacy going...Pretty full house for a small-mid-size venue [[although some tickets were given away through a radio station promotion). Having seen the classic Temptations perform back in the day a few times...and their Vegas act with the Four Tops in the 80's... those expecting the classic group from years ago..perhaps some of the "electricity " and excitement in the air from the classic days was lacking , but taking it for what it is a nostalgic tribute trip down memory lane, it was pretty good entertainment..which is sorely lacking with many of todays performers. I won't break down individual members but somewhat of a shame that Otis and Dennis couldn't take the best of both groups and form one, but I suspect the money and egos would not allow that to happen, but think it could bring about at least a bit more "authentic" performance...Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was playing a Temptations Greatest Hits CD on the way to last nights performance...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-21-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Stu,that's a point i've been trying to make for years why can't dennis and otis get together for the sake of the legecy,they are the last two from the period that most of us here remember at this point and time with them both in their seventies ego really shouldn't be a problem,come on fellas make it happen and bring back the magic once more.

Stu,that's a point i've been trying to make for years why can't dennis and otis get together for the sake of the legecy,they are the last two from the period that most of us here remember at this point and time with them both in their seventies ego really shouldn't be a problem,come on fellas make it happen and bring back the magic once more.
    Agree Jai...but I assume in the end It comes down to the money split and the fact that Otis fired Dennis twice, lawsuits over the naming use of the brand, etc...There are 10 guys working now, but I suspect that an Otis-Dennis reunion could demand a bit higher performance fee...

Yeah stu i know you're right,but it's sad none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    This is good read Marv,good info,i stop keeping up with The Temptations long ago,but i'm catching up on them,because of this post,Thanks for sharing Marv.
    You are welcome Redhot!!!

supremester Guest
    I am so jealous. I never saw the original Tempts and also never saw Martha in The 60's or Tammi. Do you recall either of their set lists? How was Tammi?

I didn't know David was still jumping onstage in '69 - how did the group react? you guys were all so lucky to grow up near Detroit. We were more likely to get Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Association, and Herman's Hermits.... except we got DMF/DMC several times.

Nice thread Marv.

supremester Guest
    I have seen Otis' group for the last time. A bunch of strangers and Otis does not make The Temptations to me. I thought they were a weak tribute act and Otis sweats like a piece of rancid pork.
    Dennis' group is spot on and, IMO, much better than we have a right to expect given just one original Paul Williams Jr is fantastic.
    I'be been told that Otis won't pay Dennis any more that what he pays the others and that he likes being the sole star or the group. If this is true, it makes sense as Otis' group works a lot as the official Temptations and might not get any additional gigs or higher fees than he already does. So he doesn't really need Dennis - only the audience does.
    I don't believe he's keeping the legacy alive - he's just keeping Otis employed. If anything, his show hurts the legacy. I do give him credit for not trying to take over singing the leads however. He's wise to recognize his place and that has really helped sustain them.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Saw The Temptations last night here in So Cal...Give Otis credit for keeping the legacy going...Pretty full house for a small-mid-size venue [[although some tickets were given away through a radio station promotion). Having seen the classic Temptations perform back in the day a few times...and their Vegas act with the Four Tops in the 80's... those expecting the classic group from years ago..perhaps some of the "electricity " and excitement in the air from the classic days was lacking , but taking it for what it is a nostalgic tribute trip down memory lane, it was pretty good entertainment..which is sorely lacking with many of todays performers. I won't break down individual members but somewhat of a shame that Otis and Dennis couldn't take the best of both groups and form one, but I suspect the money and egos would not allow that to happen, but think it could bring about at least a bit more "authentic" performance...Perhaps the biggest mistake I made was playing a Temptations Greatest Hits CD on the way to last nights performance...

I have many Temptations stories and recollections having gotten to know them..especially Paul as a young teenager...I do recall one event along this topic...It was 85 or 86 maybe as I was visiting the MoWest studios with my brother to see Russ Terrana. As we were standing in the vestibule between the two studios...several Temptations walked in along with Dennis Edwards who had been released from the group, as if I was a part of the conversation while awaiting Otis' arrival. Dennis started wondering aloud with his former group mates if Otis would let him back in the group. Dennis was there to lobby Otis for readmission which I believe he did get back in for a while at that point.
    Here's an inquiry left of center, since there was a MoWest studio....were there ever a free standing MoWest office or was it incorporated under the "Motown" umbrella save for Melodyland Nashville, because it is my understanding that Nashville doesn't take you seriously until you have an office on Music Row or in Nashville in general?

Motown's offices were in a high rise on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood...Obviously rented enough space to have the Motown logo in front of the building...The studio was not far away in W. Hollywood...Berry Gordy's ex wife Rae Singleton ran the studio operation...

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I am so jealous. I never saw the original Tempts and also never saw Martha in The 60's or Tammi. Do you recall either of their set lists? How was Tammi?

I didn't know David was still jumping onstage in '69 - how did the group react? you guys were all so lucky to grow up near Detroit. We were more likely to get Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Association, and Herman's Hermits.... except we got DMF/DMC several times.
    Unfortunately, neither did I. I would have loved to have seen The Classic Five [[including Dennis Edwards)I have most of the albums through Dennis Edwards' first stint and the fantastic, "For Lovers Only" classically produced by Richard Perry. Save for Otis Williams though, if I saw them live....I could not identify them. [[Exception: Damon Harris, as long as it is within the context of The Temptations). Never once listened to it, but, I like the Art Deco, 'Erte-inspired cover for "Wings of Love".

Motown's offices were in a high rise on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood...Obviously rented enough space to have the Motown logo in front of the building...The studio was not far away in W. Hollywood...Berry Gordy's ex wife Rae Singleton ran the studio operation...
    Thanks Stu. Raynoma is listed as Executive Producer for one of the most underrated albums, the "Sherrick" debut by the late Sheerick....a great Motown inspired album.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post

I don't remember the set lists for the State Fair show [[I was only 13), but it's reasonable to assume The Tempts, Tammi and Martha & the Vandellas all performed their major hits. I remember the crowd being in a frenzy, people were even climbing trees to get a better look. After the show, Tammi was standing behind a fence along the side of the stage, smoking a Kool, chatting with fans and signing autographs. It was the only time I ever saw her in person and she was gorgeous.

The Tempts show at Cobo featured the same basic set list that appeared on the Live in London album, which was released a few months later. They even wore the same red and gold stage outfits in the cover photo that they wore in Detroit. As for Ruffin taking the stage, I thought it had been pre-arranged; since it was a hometown performance. I didn't know until later that he wasn't invited and had done the same thing at other Tempts' gigs in other cities.

last night on TV here in Central Fla. there was a commercial about some kind of benefit to take place at the Dr. Phillips Performing Art Center downtown Orlando and the entertainment would be Richard Streets' Temptations!! I about flipped cause I know Dennis has to call his group Dennis Edwards Temptation Review. Whats up with this?

sorry I didn't put this in the first post but what really got my attention about this is that Richard street passed away a couple of years ago.Strange, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    sorry I didn't put this in the first post but what really got my attention about this is that Richard street passed away a couple of years ago.Strange, I know.
    Richard passed away two years ago...At the time, there were at least 4 Temptations groups performing, Otis, Dennis, Richard, and Glenn Leonard. Richard was about to leave for Dubai with Joyce Vincent and the FLO's...After Richard passed away, the people in Dubai had to scramble to get one of the other Temptation groups. On March 20 2013 I had our Funk Brothers Hollywood Walk Of Fame ceremony. The three remaining members of Richards group [[along with Richards widow) showed up at our after party in Beverly Hills and performed along with Stevie Wonder, Freda Payne, and others.

Gary...I was at the State Fair gig too...Got to hang out with the guys and met the beautiful Tammi backstage...I still can recall her magnificent eyes to this day...As you mentioned, she was so sweet to us kids..

Gary...I was at the State Fair gig too...Got to hang out with the guys and met the beautiful Tammi backstage...I still can recall her magnificent eyes to this day...As you mentioned, she was so sweet to us kids..
    Stu you've had some great, memorable experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stu you've had some great, memorable experiences.
    Yes sir...So far lol

Yeah stu,to have known[paul williams]and the rest of the classic temps,cool,very cool.

Yeah stu,to have known[paul williams]and the rest of the classic temps,cool,very cool.
    Yes Jai...But in Pauls case a bit bittersweet. I ran into Paul one day at a burger joint called Biffs on West Grand Blvd. I hadn't seen him in a while. He wasn't looking well at all, but invited me to have lunch with him and we found a booth near the back. He was still is kind, sweet self, but obviously troubled. Talked about some Temptations stuff and he realized I knew he wasn't performing with them at the time. He told me he was working on some solo material. We said goodbye and planned to stay in touch. It probably wasn't two months later that I heard of his tragic death, although I didn't know the cause at the time. Paul Williams...RIP

Well,i'm thinking of one of his best...slow down heart..paul forever!

Yes Jai...But in Pauls case a bit bittersweet. I ran into Paul one day at a burger joint called Biffs on West Grand Blvd. I hadn't seen him in a while. He wasn't looking well at all, but invited me to have lunch with him and we found a booth near the back. He was still is kind, sweet self, but obviously troubled. Talked about some Temptations stuff and he realized I knew he wasn't performing with them at the time. He told me he was working on some solo material. We said goodbye and planned to stay in touch. It probably wasn't two months later that I heard of his tragic death, although I didn't know the cause at the time. Paul Williams...RIP
    That was awful. To add to that, the weekend of Paul's funeral David and Eddie were down in Toledo and were robbed!

Rough week.

Rough week.
    I remember it being a very sad one.

Well,i always remember the great,great music and performances from our temps,as i've said before the temptations body of music is like an endless table with songs for days on end all the great singers all the great lyrics,and if you listen closely you might hear a beat or verse or an instrument that you didn't know was there,that's part of the fun...tall-tan-talented-teasin-temptin temptations forever!!!

Well,i always remember the great,great music and performances from our temps,as i've said before the temptations body of music is like an endless table with songs for days on end all the great singers all the great lyrics,and if you listen closely you might hear a beat or verse or an instrument that you didn't know was there,that's part of the fun...tall-tan-talented-teasin-temptin temptations forever!!!
    This is the song that was out when I thought I was "grown" LOL!

Here dem bad boys are doin' it in the eighties.....!

I obviously wasn't around for the Classic era, and sadly, Eddie, David and Melvin were all gone by time I got hip to them around late 97. But I did get to see them in 2000 at the Birmingham Heritage festival. This was around the time they were enjoying a renaissance following the Movie and the release of the Phoenix Raising album IMO "Stay" is the last great song the Temptations recorded and I was shocked to hear Bo Harrington, barely sang a note on the Album. But in Theo's case, the Temps loss the Tops gain!

I remember being very excited to know that The Temptations were still going strong in the 90s and early 00s. I always thought the Movie would of ended on a happier note if they'd shown Otis and the then-current lineup performing "Stay" instead of the Actors pantomiming "My Girl".

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I obviously wasn't around for the Classic era, and sadly, Eddie, David and Melvin were all gone by time I got hip to them around late 97. But I did get to see them in 2000 at the Birmingham Heritage festival. This was around the time they were enjoying a renaissance following the Movie and the release of the Phoenix Raising album IMO "Stay" is the last great song the Temptations recorded and I was shocked to hear Bo Harrington, barely sang a note on the Album. But in Theo's case, the Temps loss the Tops gain!

I remember being very excited to know that The Temptations were still going strong in the 90s and early 00s. I always thought the Movie would of ended on a happier note if they'd shown Otis and the then-current lineup performing "Stay" instead of the Actors pantomiming "My Girl".
    I agree. "Stay" was there last major commercial hit. The Tempts proved they still had it in them. The movie was nice and all ,but it was not very accurate. I enjoyed it, but how many inaccuracies can you all pick out?

I'll start! First of all it was filmed in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh does NOT look like Detroit at all!

Haaaaaaaaaaa,marv let's not start on the movie!!

Haaaaaaaaaaa,marv let's not start on the movie!!
    Ahhh, come on JAI, let's just examine it for a moment. Not for malicious purposes at all, just for fun to see how many inaccuracies we can find. Like there being 2 Primes and 3 Primettes and having them perform together on stage at the same time! LOL! The movie was for entertainment and not a documentary. Please? hehehehehehehe.......

Hehehehe...oh well,how about eddie being about[5'7]and david[leon]towering over him,how about the scene in the bathroom with otis and blue meeting berry with blue saying[the things you are doing with motown]haaaaa,there was no[motown]it was still[hitsville].

Hehehehe...oh well,how about eddie being about[5'7]and david[leon]towering over him,how about the scene in the bathroom with otis and blue meeting berry with blue saying[the things you are doing with motown]haaaaa,there was no[motown]it was still[hitsville].
    Yeah the guy playing Eddie favored him some, but was way too short! LOL! The bathroom scene was suppose to be true, but it was just Otis meeting Berry and you're right, there was no "Motown" by that point.

Here's one. Melvin dying in his Mom's kitchen. He didn't . He passed away in the hospital!

Agreed. The guys who played Paul and Eddie were both too short. But both of them were decent actors; I guess that's good enough. I love Pittsburgh, so even though I am a Detroiter, I don't have a big problem with them using Pittsburgh to "play" Detroit, although it would have been nice if it could have been filmed here. My biggest complaint is with the scenes that take place in and around the Hitsville studios. The neighborhood in the movie looks NOTHING like the actual location. Same thing with the Woodward Ave/Fox Theater scene in the opening. Little things like that make a lot of this movie unconvincing to me.

Marv...since you say we're only discussing non-malicious topics, I won't go into all the historic inaccuracies and flat-out lies in the movie. I'm sure most of us already know what they are anyway, right?

Agreed. The guys who played Paul and Eddie were both too short. But both of them were decent actors; I guess that's good enough. I love Pittsburgh, so even though I am a Detroiter, I don't have a big problem with them using Pittsburgh to "play" Detroit, although it would have been nice if it could have been filmed here. My biggest complaint is with the scenes that take place in and around the Hitsville studios. The neighborhood in the movie looks NOTHING like the actual location. Same thing with the Woodward Ave/Fox Theater scene in the opening. Little things like that make a lot of this movie unconvincing to me.

Marv...since you say we're only discussing non-malicious topics, I won't go into all the historic inaccuracies and flat-out lies in the movie. I'm sure most of us already know what they are anyway, right?
    Gary, you are sooooo right! Detroiters will know that some of the "details" in the movie are completely wrong. Historic inaccuracies are fair game. What about the parts with Johnnie Mae Matthews? I love Pittsburgh too, but Pittsburgh is a hilly city, some neighborhoods have row houses ,etc . Detroit is nothing like that.

My son wore out the VHS tapes of The Temptations movie and The Jackson 5 movie;
    so much I had to buy the DVD's.
    He is 36 y o and when he visits, he still wants to see them
    edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    My son wore out the VHS tapes of The Temptations movie and The Jackson 5 movie;
    so much I had to buy the DVD's.
    He is 36 y o and when he visits, he still wants to see them
    edafan

I have a younger brother that loves these movies. I enjoyed them for what they were ...................entertainment. When came to a factual representation of individuals and events, I took exception to many things depicted in these films. My biggest problem is that young people will believe them to be truth. I actually had a kid ask me, which singer replaced "Effie" in the Supremes! LOL!

I too have the movie,but i will still love to see a theatrecal version more closely tied to the book...the one thing that i didn't like was the way[blue]was made to look like a wimp.

I too have the movie,but i will still love to see a theatrecal version more closely tied to the book...the one thing that i didn't like was the way[blue]was made to look like a wimp.

Blue [[Melvin) was NO wimp in reality!

Strange but the guy that played Melvin, looked more like Otis to me.

Yep,me too,so many story lines to explore but we know time and money were limited...blue and eddie were too friendly in the movie when we know that they didn't get along and paul's drinking was partly because of his relationship with the lady who worked for the supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Strange but the guy that played Melvin, looked more like Otis to me.
    First thing I noticed.

Yep,me too,so many story lines to explore but we know time and money were limited...blue and eddie were too friendly in the movie when we know that they didn't get along and paul's drinking was partly because of his relationship with the lady who worked for the supremes.
    Yeah, Winnie, Florence Ballards's niece or cousin he was involved in. The Temptations or even Motown as a whole deserve one of those Ken Burns documentary treatments. What do you think?

First thing I noticed.
    The nailed the Smokey character. I thought the Berry Gordy character was too much like the one in Dreamgirls in appearance. The guy that played Richard looked nothing like him whatsoever. I know they couldn't show everything thing, but I wished they had left out the circumstances surrounding David Ruffin's death.

But back to the movie,how bout the cadillacs,and it was funny because by his own admission otis didn't drive until 68 so he wouldn't have had one at that point,how about the scene where al gets fired because he doesn't want to go back on stage,when he acually was the only one who did want to go back and argued with paul which lead to him hitting paul with the bottle.

But back to the movie,how bout the cadillacs,and it was funny because by his own admission otis didn't drive until 68 so he wouldn't have had one at that point,how about the scene where al gets fired because he doesn't want to go back on stage,when he acually was the only one who did want to go back and argued with paul which lead to him hitting paul with the bottle.
    That didn't make sense about the car and Otis, but the whole portrayal of Al Bryant and the actor playing him was totally all wrong! Al was a "pretty boy". The guy playing him reminded me of Sean Levert LOL! Al had a drinking problem he would not have wasted liquor by throwing a bottle at Paul unless he was sure the bottle was empty hehehehehehe!

Richard Street said that NONE of the Temptations received a dime from that movie EXCEPT Otis Williams. I am reading Richard's book at the moment.