[REMOVE ADS]

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    One of my favorite songs, from Glenn Jones

Last edited by MusicWise; 11-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.

The Tempts performing with Larry Braggs [[Hitsville Honors - Orchestra Hall)

The Temptations "The Way You Do The Things"/ "Ain't To Proud Too Beg"/" My Girl" September 22, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Thanks Marv2 for starting this thread!!!
    You are most welcome MusicWise!

Oh wow! I cannot even believe this! Glenn Jones is now a Temptation? I and my brother was just listening to his music earlier this week. Wow! Thanks MusicWise.

Unsung: Glenn Jones [[April 07, 2019)

https://tvone.tv/video/unsung-glenn-jones/

You're welcome Marv

Glenn Jones is already listed on The Temptations Wikipedia page! Here's the receipts:

The Temptations Wikipedia has Glenn Jones listed as a current member and Larry Braggs as a past member.

The Temptations Wikipedia page
    The Temptations

Members
    Otis Williams
    Ron Tyson
    Terry Weeks
    Willie Green
    Glenn Jones

The Temptations Live @ TM [[3-12-19) #3

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh wow! I cannot even believe this! Glenn Jones is now a Temptation? I and my brother was just listening to his music earlier this week. Wow! Thanks MusicWise.
    When I discovered Glenn Jones was the newest Tempt, I quickly remembered how versatile he is. Not only was Jones a Grammy Nominated artist with a string of hits, in the 80s and 90's, Jones won a Stellar Award, for the bestselling gospel album, "Walking By Faith" that he co-produced for The Canton Spirituals, featuring the hit song he wrote "Never Let Go"

Glenn Jones, his wife, Genobia Jeter-Jones join Harvey Watkins et al on this R&B-Gospel fused masterpiece. Take a listen:

Another one my Glenn Jones favorites.

Just finished reading the YouTube comments for "We've Only Just Begun" vids, with over 8 Million!!! views. Another, has close to two million views and more than 7000 fans combined are still jamming to this in 2019! Can't wait to see and hear Glenn Jones hit those David Ruffin, Ali Woodson, and Eddie Kendricks notes...

I believe Glenn Jones will bring some EXCITEMENT back into the Tempts performances...I had grown tired of the same-ole sets year-after-year. ��

When I discovered Glenn Jones was the newest Tempt, I quickly remembered how versatile he is. Not only was Jones a Grammy Nominated artist with a string of hits, in the 80s and 90's, Jones won a Stellar Award, for the bestselling gospel album, "Walking By Faith" that he co-produced for The Canton Spirituals, featuring the hit song he wrote "Never Let Go"

Glenn Jones, his wife, Genobia Jeter-Jones join Harvey Watkins et al on this R&B-Gospel fused masterpiece. Take a listen:

He is probably as good a male vocalist as i have ever heard. I have all of his albums and have seen him live in a small intimate venue where he was quite outstanding.
    This may persuade me to go and see the Temps again after a 20 or so year absence.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 11-17-2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Not finished the post

Hey marv,excuse me for being out of the loop...but who is glenn jones??

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,excuse me for being out of the loop...but who is glenn jones??
    He is a very popular R&B solo artist from the late 80s and on wards. I met him once briefly after one of his concerts in Toledo, OH. Nice guy.

They can't go wrong with Glenn. One of the greatest '80s and '90s R&B vocalists. He fits more into the Ali-Ollie/Barrington category. Just an amazing singer. The Tempts will definitely get some new energy from this! I wasn't feeling Larry too much.

As long as Otis, Ron and Terry are there, they can't go wrong. Need to hear how Willie sounds. Hard for any bass vocalist to compete with Melvin.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great thread Marv. I am somewhat mystified as to Otis' power. Couldn't the rest of group out vote him. ?Although I guess owning the name and being an original gave him the final say.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Sibirians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1706
    Not only owning the name, but Otis had started the group as Otis Williams and The Barbarians, in 1958, before they even changed their name to The Distants. He, himself, "allowed" Richard Street to join the group in 1959. He "allowed" Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams to join after they left Johnnie Mae Matthews, and Richard Street was still deciding if he wanted to stay with them to take up Berry Gordy's earlier offer and come and see him about signing on with Motown. So, he has always considered the group as his. When they changed the group's name to The Temptations, the other members didn't complain, and stop Otis from continuing on as owner of the group's new name. So, HE had that extra power of leaving the group, and taking the group's name with him, and signing new members, and continuing on as The Temptations. While the others could only replace him, or not, and choose another group name. Once The Temptations became famous, it was even more important for the others to "allow Otis to do what he wanted" because they had too much invested in the goodwill they had built up with the public and their fans to start over with a new name.
    I heard it was because he could hit/punch the hardest! LOL!

I think Otis realized early on that lacking stylistic lead vocal abilities that would make him marketable to many other groups, he needed to come up with more than just his voice to solidify his importance to any group he was a member of, and thus, quickly assumed the leadership and organizational role with all his groups early on that resulted in his becoming a quasi "player/coach" to the Temptations... It was Otis who took a lot of the heat when first Elbridge, then David began acting out and Otis was quite fortunate that he had the backing of Melvin or he likely could not have survived and the group could have split up at any of those junctures perhaps leaving Otis the odd man out without a group... I remember being at the Mowest studios one day in the early-mid 80's [[ as I recall we were there hanging out with Ralphs brother Russ) as the group members gathered in the lobby with Dennis there who had likely been unceremoniously fired by Otis and being a fly on the wall...[[actually practically IN the conversation) they were waiting for Otis to show up and Dennis was strategizing with the other guys how to appeal to Otis for Otis to allow him back in the group... I was leaving as Otis was showing up and don't recall just which incarnation of Dennis and the Temps this was but I didn't even know at the time what was going on internally with the group as I had just left a 3 or 4 years stint of doing news at Detroit's popular Country Music station WWWW, and had just moved to Los Angeles... I give Otis credit for realizing all that though and using his talents as an organizer, being the least talented singer of the lot...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-17-2019 at 07:54 PM.

One thing Otis deserves credit for: he probably has discovered some of the greatest soul singers in history and has found some of the most talented singers to front his group. Be it Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Ron Tyson, Theo Peoples, Barrington Henderson, Terry Weeks, and then hire well known but still unsung [[in their own rights) singers such as G.C. and Glenn Jones. He definitely earned his legend status with the other Temptations such as Eddie, David, Dennis, Paul and Melvin.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    One thing Otis deserves credit for: he probably has discovered some of the greatest soul singers in history and has found some of the most talented singers to front his group. Be it Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Melvin Franklin, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Ron Tyson, Theo Peoples, Barrington Henderson, Terry Weeks, and then hire well known but still unsung [[in their own rights) singers such as G.C. and Glenn Jones. He definitely earned his legend status with the other Temptations such as Eddie, David, Dennis, Paul and Melvin.
    Yes, Otis did pull the classic group together and at that point, for a lot of these singers, The Temptations were the best thing going... fairly steady work, even in the leaner days as opposed to a lot of those guys option of taking a shot at joining or putting together a group and taking a shot as an unknown or lesser known group of artists... Tempts were still and pretty much always considered the cream of the classic group crop once the Philly groups began to peter out making way for an entire new generation of young groups and boy bands...

He did not discover Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams or David Ruffin. He did not discover Dennis Edwards, Richard Street or Ali- Ollie Woodson. All of them were already singing on their own or in groups. Ali Woodson went to the Temptations to audition for a spot. Richard was in one of the groups with Otis that preceded the Temptations. David Ruffin was a solo artist that was recording on his own before joining the Tempts. Eddie and Paul were members of the Primes competitors of the Distants or whatever Otis was calling his group before they joined.

You all know that i love no group anywhere near as much as the temps[always have-always will]been a fan since i was twelve years old-i'm sixty seven and still here,otis can do no wrong in my book but i've always wondered and maybe stu can chime in on this-according to otis himself,eddie called him about getting together and asked if paul could join also,so i've asked myself-is perhaps eddie responsible for the temps being the group that we all love because of him and paul? Had they not joined would otis and any others he had passed the audition and had the long term success? Just wondering!

You all know that i love no group anywhere near as much as the temps[always have-always will]been a fan since i was twelve years old-i'm sixty seven and still here,otis can do no wrong in my book but i've always wondered and maybe stu can chime in on this-according to otis himself,eddie called him about getting together and asked if paul could join also,so i've asked myself-is perhaps eddie responsible for the temps being the group that we all love because of him and paul? Had they not joined would otis and any others he had passed the audition and had the long term success? Just wondering!
    I'm really not all that familiar with the genesis of the formation of the Temptations other than the story that Otis told in his book and movie... When I met Paul they were just coming into their own as a hitmaking group...probably around 1964 or 65 with the classic 5... I do remember one performance I was at in about 65 at the State Fairgrounds when Paul kind of left the other guys who were hanging out backstage after their show and Paul, who was more of a loaner asked a few of us kids to walk with him to his car and he split while the rest of the guys were still partying and hanging out...

I have to agree with you. Eddie brought the unique lead vocals and Paul brought the showmanship and excellent vocals to the group. They did not take off until Eddie and Paul united with Otis, Melvin and Elbridge. I can't remember the names of the guys that dropped out of Otis' group. The Primes included Kel Osbourne before he dropped out for a solo career.

Thanks guys,just wondering-temptations forever!!

I have to agree with you. Eddie brought the unique lead vocals and Paul brought the showmanship and excellent vocals to the group. They did not take off until Eddie and Paul united with Otis, Melvin and Elbridge. I can't remember the names of the guys that dropped out of Otis' group. The Primes included Kel Osbourne before he dropped out for a solo career.
Views: 1626
    The two members who dropped out of Otis Williams' Distants were lead singer, Richard Street, and James Crawford. Richard wanted to go solo, and, more importantly, wanted to get more into songwriting and production. He joined up with Don Davis and Norman Whitfield at Thelma Records, where he was a songwriter and assistant producer. He also formed a new Distants group, which Crawford joined for a short while, before moving on to The Magnetics, who recorded for Popcorn Wylie at Allrite Records. Whitfield left Thelma and his own K.O. [[Knockout) Records for Motown, and, a few months later, got Street into Motown.

One COULD say that Otis "discovered" Richard Street, as he asked him to join his new group, The Distants, in early 1959, and sing lead, BEFORE Richard had recorded, or was known at all.

Otis formed his first group, The Siberians in mid 1958. The first line-up included: Otis Williams, Elbridge "Al" Bryant, James Crawford, Arthur Walton, and Vernard Plain. Arthur and Vernard left, and were replaced by Melvin and Richard, to form The Distants.

Maybe you wouldn't call it really "taking off", but The Distants charted on the R&B stations with "Come On", and had a minor regional hit [[Midwest) with it in late 1959- early 1960. I remember Al Benson playing it regularly on Chicago's WGES, and it was certainly played by the DJs on the 2 R&B stations in Detroit. They all also played the ballad flip, "Always" for a while.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-20-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Views: 1641
    That's a very good question. The Distants' contract with Johnnie Mae Matthews [[Northern Records) was up, and their second record for her had been leased to 7-Arts' Warwick Records, and had not charted [[unlike their first record). It was harder for them to get bookings for live performances. They were planning to take up Berry Gordy's offer for them to come to him to sign with Motown, when their lead singer, Richard Street suddenly decided to drop out. Otis couldn't sign his group to Motown without a lead singer. None of Bryant, Melvin, or Otis was anywhere near good enough to lead, so Gordy was sure to refuse to sign them. If they hadn't gotten the request from Eddie for he and Paul to join with his remaining group, Otis would have had to find a new lead singer, and may well have been rejected by Gordy. We have no way of knowing who he might have come up with, and even if Gordy would have signed them, we don't know if the new group would have also been given David Ruffin as a new lead. Otis new group without Eddie and Paul, may not have even been around Motown by 1964, to have Ruffin brought into them.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-20-2019 at 01:06 AM.

He did not discover Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams or David Ruffin. He did not discover Dennis Edwards, Richard Street or Ali- Ollie Woodson. All of them were already singing on their own or in groups. Ali Woodson went to the Temptations to audition for a spot. Richard was in one of the groups with Otis that preceded the Temptations. David Ruffin was a solo artist that was recording on his own before joining the Tempts. Eddie and Paul were members of the Primes competitors of the Distants or whatever Otis was calling his group before they joined.
Views: 1643
    The Primes were gigging, but didn't even have a record deal, and hadn't recorded for anyone, - so one might say [[loosely) that Otis "discovered" them. David Ruffin, on the other hand, was a "Motowner" from the start. He was recording for Gwen and Anna Gordy's Anna Records all the way back in 1959 [[and had a record out then [[leased to George Goldner's Vega Records), while living with Berry's parents; and David's "day jobs" were working for Pops Gordy's construction company, and doing odd jobs for Anna Records, such as packing record boxes and running errands. In 1960, he had a record out on Anna Records. And in 1961 and early 1962, he had 2 records out on Chess' Detroit subsidiary, Check-Mate Records, which came from Anna Records early 1961 master tapes, which ex-Anna co-owner, Billy Davis took with him, when signing with Chess to run their new label. David was basically, a "Gordy family member", who signed right back with Motown in mid 1962, when Check-Mate was dropped and Billy Davis moved to Chicago to run Chess' R&B/Soul production. So, Otis definitely didn't "discover David".

Views: 1628
    It is also true that Otis did NOT discover Dennis Edwards. Dennis had been lead singer of The Celebrities on Detroit's Boss Records in late 1964-65, In mid 1965 he was signed to Motown as a solo artist. He recorded some solo cuts, and was placed into The Contours in early 1966 as their newest lead singer, after Levi's Brother Joe Stubbs [[long-time lead singer of The Falcons) had quit that group. When the rift came between David and Otis because David wanted the group to be billed as "David Ruffin and The Temptations", and Otis wanted him out of the group because of other issues, and he actually left, Dennis was agreed upon by Otis, the other group members, and Berry, as David's replacement. I'm not sure who had the original idea to fill David's spot with Dennis. Maybe someone else here can tell us the answer to that question?

Great info robb,according to otis,he knew dennis from the contours and suggested to eddie that they should try to get him,side note of irony in[1966]at the howard theater the contours were opening a motown revue show starring...the temptations,i was there!

Wow, Glenn Jones is a Temptation. Hopefully they’ll cut another album soon. As of now, he and Ricky Owens are the only temps who don’t appear on any recordings. Otherwise, everyone in the group has sung on at least one album.

Here Glenn is leading the Temptations 2 nights ago:

Oh,ok he's pretty good.

Here Glenn is leading the Temptations 2 nights ago:

Hi Marv, that's LB [[Larry Braggs)...

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Wow, Glenn Jones is a Temptation. Hopefully they’ll cut another album soon. As of now, he and Ricky Owens are the only temps who don’t appear on any recordings. Otherwise, everyone in the group has sung on at least one album.
    Hello Jboy88, what did you think of the last Tempts' last LP, "All The Time"?

Oh,ok he's pretty good.
    Hello Arr&Bee, that's Larry Braggs, Otis hasn't announced the new line-up yet.

They can't go wrong with Glenn. One of the greatest '80s and '90s R&B vocalists. He fits more into the Ali-Ollie/Barrington category. Just an amazing singer. The Tempts will definitely get some new energy from this! I wasn't feeling Larry too much.

As long as Otis, Ron and Terry are there, they can't go wrong. Need to hear how Willie sounds. Hard for any bass vocalist to compete with Melvin.
    Hello Midnightman, Agreed. I thought LB [[Larry Braggs) would breathe new life into the Tempts, similar to what he'd done with T.O.P. [[Tower of Power)

Quote Originally Posted by musicwise View Post
    hello arr&bee, that's larry braggs, otis hasn't announced the new line-up yet.
    oh,ok thanks.

The new lineup won't come into place until they finish their last engagements with Larry.

A couple of months ago I was bored and so I did hopefully what is an analysis of The Temptations throughout the years that will help in this thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible the only thing I didn't do was to add actual lineups I hope this helps.Name:  20191125_143133.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  89.6 KBName:  20191125_143118.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  96.7 KB

Hi Marv, that's LB [[Larry Braggs)...
    I'm embarrassed. Sorry. I told my brother about this video and that Glenn was leading on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_harris View Post
    A couple of months ago I was bored and so I did hopefully what is an analysis of The Temptations throughout the years that will help in this thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible the only thing I didn't do was to add actual lineups I hope this helps.Name:  20191125_143133.jpg
    Wow, thanks. Hey Tl_Harris, did you check out the early pages of this thread? There is a lot of information in those first several pages in this thread.

I'm embarrassed. Sorry. I told my brother about this video and that Glenn was leading on it.
    Don't be...the poster transposed the date of the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_harris View Post
    Thank God, Otis, Ron, Glen, Louis, G.C., and Joe, are still going strong. TFS

Name:  20191125_143133.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  89.6 KB

Here is something I worked on....I hope this helps.

T.L. Harris

Name:  20191125_143118.jpg
Views: 1342

Here's the other one sorry it's sideways....I sid it from my phone.

T.L. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    He is probably as good a male vocalist as i have ever heard. I have all of his albums and have seen him live in a small intimate venue where he was quite outstanding.
    This may persuade me to go and see the Temps again after a 20 or so year absence.
    Hello Bluebrock, glad you had the opportunity to see Glenn Jones perform in person. I'm looking forward to the Tempts new incarnation in 2020! I was greatly disappointed with Larry Braggs' performance in 2018. But pleasantly, surprised by Bruce Williamson's showmanship in 2014. Now, if Glenn Jones can do justice to "My Girl" and "Stay" that will be my litmus test for me attending any upcoming or future concerts after 2020. TFS

Hello Bluebrock, glad you had the opportunity to see Glenn Jones perform in person. I'm looking forward to the Tempts new incarnation in 2020! I was greatly disappointed with Larry Braggs' performance in 2018. But pleasantly, surprised by Bruce Williamson's showmanship in 2014. Now, if Glenn Jones can do justice to "My Girl" and "Stay" that will be my litmus test for me attending any upcoming or future concerts after 2020. TFS
    As happy as i am with the news of Glenn joining the Temps, a vocalist as good as him should still be making great solo albums. He is way too good to not be recording new music. I hope the Temps get to record a new album with Glenn's voice out front. That would be something.
    Going slightly off topic i recall watching an episode of Chicago pd earlier this year and Glenn's "we've only just begun [[the romance is not over)" was playing in a party scene. It sounded oh so good.....