[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Alumni Association Search [[from Billy Wilson)

We are looking for the children of Walter "Choker" Campbell. We know he has 3 children. One boy, and two girls. All live in Canada. One live in Halifax, and two lived in Lobdon. Please have them to contact me [[Billy Wilson) directly at [[734) 972-7582 or email me at

billy_j_wilson@yahoo.com

Walter Luzar "Choker" Campbell [[March 21, 1916 – July 20, 1993) was an American musician.

... Born as an only child in Shelby, Mississippi, his family moved to Saginaw, Michigan, when he was only five years old. Campbell studied saxophone under several musicians and left school at the age of nineteen. In the early 1960s he got a job at Hitsville USA [[which later became Motown Records) playing with the resident band, then later as a supporting artist for several well-known Motown artists, such as The Supremes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, the Four Tops, Stevie Wonder and others. Campbell toured the U.S. with stops at the Apollo Theater in New York City and many other venues.
    After leaving Motown Records, Campbell traveled to Canada with his own band and played several Canadian venues. He settled in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, where he started his own record label, Campbell Artist Productions, and did several recordings with Attic Records [[of Toronto), and studio work with his friend, Paul Zaza.
    After several years, Choker returned to Detroit, Michigan, where he remained until his death in July 1993, aged 77.
    Choker has left behind a son and two daughters in Canada, two in London, one in Halifax.

- Billy Wilson

Billy, I just returned from the Dearborn library where I searched the Detroit dailies for "Choker" Cambell's death notice. I thought with that you could at least get his children's names. I went through July 21-25, 1993 but came up empty. Perhaps the Michigan Chronicle had something at the time of his death. As you're in the area [[based on your area code) you might want to check U-M-Ann Arbor's library. Another option is ancestry.com. See if you can find someone that has a subscription to that site [[or sign on yourself). The Social Security Death Index there might be a good start. Good luck. -Jeff

He had at least one daughter, but she passed away in 2006 ...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=91644070