[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up Let's Be Closer Together [Expanded]

At long last just about my favourite album by Tyrone Davis finally get's a first time CD release. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lets-Be-Clos...s=tyrone+davis

Name:  81dfVouZlHL__SL1417_.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  92.7 KB

Thanks - I've ordered it!

My pleasure, I hope it sells well & encourages more forgotten gems from the 70's such as Crown Heights Affair's RCA album.

In advance of receiving my copy I'd like to know what you think of "Lets..." -

Certainly Robert here goes, as Disco was the order of the day the album is a mix of dance orientated music & ballads, all songs written by Leo Graham or with James Mack [I Just Can't Keep On Going/Let's Get Closer Together].

1 "All You Got" [a superior dance number get's the album off to a good start [my vinyl skips on this track, so another good reason to buy the CD]

2 "I Just Can't Keep On Going" [imo the killer track on the album worth the price of the CD for this track alone old TD at his best. Incidentally I bought an Expansion Records compilation called "Do You Feel It? back in 2008 for this track, only to find they had included a vastly inferior later remix of the track, which quite honestly was ghastly andthensome.]

3 "If That's What It Takes" [Another good up tempo number]

4 "Playing In The Sand" [a lovely atmospheric ballad to end side one of the album, my second favourite song on the album.]

5 " This I Swear" [Side 2 kicks off with my favourite dance track on the album, never tire of it]

6 " I Got Carried Away" [another great ballad, as the title suggests you can just get carried away with this one, mmm maybe I should promote this to second favourite]

7 "You Need Love" [another dance track, but what a voice TD makes anything he sings sound great]

8 "Let's Be Closer Together" [a good ballad to end with]

My definition of a great album is one where there are no duff tracks, this album exceeds that definition by the bucket load, still sounds fresh after 38 years. If you've never heard this album your in for a treat. All music should be this good.

When I bought this album in 1977 I was in the process of moving house, I had just bought a new house & was living with my in-laws as I had had to move out of my old house. I was decorating the new house before we moved in & the only thing in the house was a record player & "Let's Be Closer Together" & as there were no neighbours [or volume control my wife] I was really able to enjoy this album, so I may be a tad biased.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Certainly Robert here goes, as Disco was the order of the day the album is a mix of dance orientated music & ballads, all songs written by Leo Graham or with James Mack [I Just Can't Keep On Going/Let's Get Closer Together].

1 "All You Got" [a superior dance number get's the album off to a good start [my vinyl skips on this track, so another good reason to buy the CD]

2 "I Just Can't Keep On Going" [imo the killer track on the album worth the price of the CD for this track alone old TD at his best. Incidentally I bought an Expansion Records compilation called "Do You Feel It? back in 2008 for this track, only to find they had included a vastly inferior later remix of the track, which quite honestly was ghastly andthensome.]

3 "If That's What It Takes" [Another good up tempo number]

4 "Playing In The Sand" [a lovely atmospheric ballad to end side one of the album, my second favourite song on the album.]

5 " This I Swear" [Side 2 kicks off with my favourite dance track on the album, never tire of it]

6 " I Got Carried Away" [another great ballad, as the title suggests you can just get carried away with this one, mmm maybe I should promote this to second favourite]

7 "You Need Love" [another dance track, but what a voice TD makes anything he sings sound great]

8 "Let's Be Closer Together" [a good ballad to end with]

My definition of a great album is one where there are no duff tracks, this album exceeds that definition by the bucket load, still sounds fresh after 38 years. If you've never heard this album your in for a treat. All music should be this good.

When I bought this album in 1977 I was in the process of moving house, I had just bought a new house & was living with my in-laws as I had had to move out of my old house. I was decorating the new house before we moved in & the only thing in the house was a record player & "Let's Be Closer Together" & as there were no neighbours [or volume control my wife] I was really able to enjoy this album, so I may be a tad biased.
    Thanks so much for the write-up; I've read it several times and can't wait for my copy! I love these re-releases, especially of albums I did not hear/buy at the time of release, because they play like "new" releases to me! I'll check back when I have my copy. Do you have another TD re-release to recommend?

All the Tyrone Davis CD's now seem to be at a premium price, however "Ladies Choice" is a good overview of his Brunswick years & worth seeking out at a better price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Choic...s_all_1#disc_1

A late follow-up but a worthy one. "LBCT" by Tyrone Davis, in it's Funkytown Grooves expanded reissue, is a great find and I again thank Mr. Soul for recommending it. Consisting of 8 original songs written by the album's producer Leo Graham, this is a first-rate mid-career achievement for Mr. Davis. It's an "easy" disc, which is a complement - meaning easy to listen to and easy to get to know and love! There's not a bad song on the album and the arrangements are superb - horns, strings, and just enough boom-badda-boom disco drums on a couple of the songs. If you are a Tyrone Davis fan, or just looking for some music to discover from an era we all love, this could be for you.

RobertZ...I'm glad you enjoyed it, but to be quite honest if you didn't, you must have two left ears lol. What I would like to know is why it took so long to be issued on CD, it amazes me how much tripe is being issued especially from the 70's, whilst gems like this remain one unreleased.

Mr soul

I think I'd like to add..why is it that some "not so good" are even re released again on CD whilst others stay in the can.

theboyfromxtown I couldn't agree more, I recently bought Japanese imports of Paul Kelly's 70's Warner Brothers albums, because no one saw fit to issue them. It's the same with the vinyl reissues as well.