[REMOVE ADS]

Johnny Bristol's "Love Me For A Reason"

There's question that i've wondered about for years and haven't been able to find the answer to, that i'm hoping that maybe some one knows since Johnny Bristol has passed and this song originated at Motown.

We all know that his biggest success is of course Diana Ross' Someday We'll Be Together, which he sang backgrounds on. And his own hit of Hang On In There Baby for MGM in 1974. Well, at that time he also had a hit with "Love For A Reason" recorded by The Osmonds that hit number 1 in the UK and later by Boyzone. When the Osmonds had the hit, I did a little research on the song since i saw that the publishing was Jobete. Found that the copyright date was 1969 when he was still with Motown and working with Diana and others. But i have never found any indication that a Motown act did a release or a demo of this song!

Actually there are, at least, 2 versions of this song, because it was copyrighted 1969 and 1974. The 1974 version was because Olive Osmond, the Osmonds Mother called Johnny and asked him to make a few minor changes to the song because the new arrangements that H.B. Barnum had done were more pop and teen oriented and the song originally was more about the relationships of late 20's & 30 year olds. When Olive sent him the demo with the brother singing his original lyrics he could see what she meant and agreed to update the song. Johnny ended up putting a version on his MGM album "Hang On In There Baby", which is probably his original? or maybe even another update? Since the lyrics are different on Johnny's album.

So that is why i've tried to find out if there's a 1969 demo of this song, while he was at Motown? Does anyone know the early history of this song?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca

honest man Guest
    Very interesting,love all versions of this song, another Johnny song i love Memories don't leave like people do,he is truly missed,thanks for info above,cheers.

"Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" was originally recorded by Jerry Butler on the 1973 album"Power of Love".

For what it's worth, Adam White [[former editor of Billboard Magazine) wrote in the liner notes for Hip-O-Select's Johnny Bristol MGM Collection:
    "And from his time at Motown, Bristol brought to MGM the previously unpublished "Love Me For A Reason."
    Does unpublished mean previously unrecorded??? Mr. White might be the one ask.

I also found this about which I had forgotten:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...rd-vet-retires

Duh... hello.....senior moment , maybe???...
    Oh, Andy.... Oh, George, where are you?? Where are you?? [[Are you in the Magic Kingdom with Mary, Cindy & Diane[a]?)

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    For what it's worth, Adam White [[former editor of Billboard Magazine) wrote in the liner notes for Hip-O-Select's Johnny Bristol MGM Collection:
    "And from his time at Motown, Bristol brought to MGM the previously unpublished "Love Me For A Reason."
    Does unpublished mean previously unrecorded??? Mr. White might be the one ask.

I also found this about which I had forgotten:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...rd-vet-retires
    Let's hope that his replacement will make sure that new Universal/Motown releases/reissues will be publicized so that we, the potential customers, can buy their products. After all, we're devoted Motown fans -- not mind-readers.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    There's question that i've wondered about for years and haven't been able to find the answer to, that i'm hoping that maybe some one knows since Johnny Bristol has passed and this song originated at Motown.

We all know that his biggest success is of course Diana Ross' Someday We'll Be Together, which he sang backgrounds on. And his own hit of Hang On In There Baby for MGM in 1974. Well, at that time he also had a hit with "Love For A Reason" recorded by The Osmonds that hit number 1 in the UK and later by Boyzone. When the Osmonds had the hit, I did a little research on the song since i saw that the publishing was Jobete. Found that the copyright date was 1969 when he was still with Motown and working with Diana and others. But i have never found any indication that a Motown act did a release or a demo of this song!

Actually there are, at least, 2 versions of this song, because it was copyrighted 1969 and 1974. The 1974 version was because Olive Osmond, the Osmonds Mother called Johnny and asked him to make a few minor changes to the song because the new arrangements that H.B. Barnum had done were more pop and teen oriented and the song originally was more about the relationships of late 20's & 30 year olds. When Olive sent him the demo with the brother singing his original lyrics he could see what she meant and agreed to update the song. Johnny ended up putting a version on his MGM album "Hang On In There Baby", which is probably his original? or maybe even another update? Since the lyrics are different on Johnny's album.

So that is why i've tried to find out if there's a 1969 demo of this song, while he was at Motown? Does anyone know the early history of this song?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  21.1 KB
    There HAD to be a "demo" made for that song , produced by Johnny Bristol, as each producer was obliged to make a recording for Jobete Music Co. to prove ownership of the song's publishing rights. An acetate of the "demo" recording was certainly made. Whether a reel-to reel recording of that song exists in The Motown Vaults, or an acetate remains there remains to be seen. Many of the Jobete acetates were "lifted" from Motown during the 1980s and 1990s, and were auctioned off on E-Bay. Sometimes the winners of those auctions have shared the recordings on You-Tube, or sent a recording to Universal/Motown, but often, they have not. In many cases, a tape recording of a given song can NOT be found in The Vault.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    "Memories Don't Leave Like People Do" was originally recorded by Jerry Butler on the 1973 album"Power of Love".
    yes i also own but do prefer Johnny's version ,love the iceman by the way,cheers

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  21.1 KB
    There HAD to be a "demo" made for that song , produced by Johnny Bristol, as each producer was obliged to make a recording for Jobete Music Co. to prove ownership of the song's publishing rights. An acetate of the "demo" recording was certainly made. Whether a reel-to reel recording of that song exists in The Motown Vaults, or an acetate remains there remains to be seen. Many of the Jobete acetates were "lifted" from Motown during the 1980s and 1990s, and were auctioned off on E-Bay. Sometimes the winners of those auctions have shared the recordings on You-Tube, or sent a recording to Universal/Motown, but often, they have not. In many cases, a tape recording of a given song can NOT be found in The Vault.
    You are so right i have mentioned this before i have heard Brenda Holloway version of You're gonna love my baby played at a Northern doo not a remake an original 60s version with original BMc Backing track, also Stevie's version of I don't want nobody make me cry neither have appeared on cd releases,what a shame.cheers.

thomas96 Guest
    Speaking of Bristol, I've got an acetate of him singing a demo of some Tammi Terrell song he wrote/produced. Can't remember the title but I know it was never issued on a CD or anything with him singing.

The song was assigned to Diana Ross in early 1972.

I bought Johnny's reel to reel tapes from his estate and it includes a vocal by Marvin Gaye from late 1972 but not Diana Ross. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Hi Greg,

I've actually researched this before. The first recorded version I've ever been able to find is Johnny's demo for the Diana and Marvin album. Marvin laid down his vocals, but Diana never did, so it got dropped. It was obviously important enough for Johnny to use a year later on his solo album for MGM. The Osmonds did theirs several months after Johnny's release.

I hope this helps!

Best Always,

Andy

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Hi Greg,

I've actually researched this before. The first recorded version I've ever been able to find is Johnny's demo for the Diana and Marvin album. Marvin laid down his vocals, but Diana never did, so it got dropped. It was obviously important enough for Johnny to use a year later on his solo album for MGM. The Osmonds did theirs several months after Johnny's release.

I hope this helps!

Best Always,

Andy
    AAGHHHHHHHHHH This always happens everytime i think im contented with my Motown collection something like this appears ,I hope we will get to hear this song by Marvin and as requested many times the Marvin and Diana solo takes from their duet album i wish for.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Andy View Post
    Hi Greg,

I hope this helps!

Best Always,

Andy
    My Thanx to everyone who replied on this. CaroleCucumber, robb_k, theboyfromxtown and especially, the invaluable MotownAndy. Andy, my friend, hope You're not too frozen this winter! We're lucky to have so many people who have so much knowledge!

Since Johnny wrote it in 1969 and I believe that his main act before Diana Ross was Jr. Walker, half expected to hear that Junior may have done it. Never in my wildest dreams did i think that it was considered for Miss Ross or duet with Marvin. Would have been interesting to hear it as a duet.

I have Hipo-Select's Johnny Bristol CD and love his version as much as the pop versions. Now, if we can get the original 1961 duet version of Someday We'll Be Together, that would be nice.

greg jones

honest man Guest
    An excellent thread,thank you

honest man Guest
    Fantasy duets would have loved Mary Wilson AND Tom Jones To have tried this one ,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    An excellent thread,thank you
    For all of you discussing recorded but unissued tracks for the Diana and Marvin duets album

Reading this thread should point you in the correct direction vis a vis one of the tracks!

Marvin's rendition is, IMNSHO, worthy of release AS THE ORIGINAL RECORDING of this song discounting JB demo versions.

If of any help, the only one of Johnny's that Tammi recorded that I know to is: "Baby Don't Cha Worry" it was recorded and issued by Johnny [[Bristol) & Jackey on Tri-Phi 1019 Jan 1963. If the acetate track is different I would welcome and love to know please. Tammi's version on Motown 1095.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-31-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post

I have Hipo-Select's Johnny Bristol CD and love his version as much as the pop versions. Now, if we can get the original 1961 duet version of Someday We'll Be Together, that would be nice.

greg jones
    You can hear the Johnny and Jackie original version of SDWBT on YouTube, sorry I don’t know how to copy it to this forum.

Thank you for that Reese, ill have to learn how to post from YouTube. Love this version of the song.

Johnny Bristol, what a true Talent, great thread!

https://youtu.be/xN5Gkt7LC9w