[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's Examine Carly Simon.....................

Ok, ok I know I am going out on a limb here in that this woman is not classified as a "Soul Singer". But listening to internet radio today made me remember that this is a truly talented woman! Has she ever made a bad record? I know she made some truly memorable and still highly listenable records during her time. Let's examine a few. Comments are surely welcomed! LOL

Carly Simon - You're So Vain

Last edited by marv2; 02-03-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Carly Simon - Anticipation

Carly Simon - YOU BELONG TO ME

Carly Simon - Jesse 1981

Carly Simon - Coming Around Again

Carly Simon - The Spy Who Loved Me • Nobody Does It Better

She was/is a brilliant writer! Those are just a few of my favorites by Carly. What are some of yours?

Marv,
    I love the "Your So vain" video. It shows a time when the music was the act. No prancing dancers or flash. Just good musicians and singers playing a very good song. Today its all about the show. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Marv,
    I love the "Your So vain" video. It shows a time when the music was the act. No prancing dancers or flash. Just good musicians and singers playing a very good song. Today its all about the show. Sad.
    Ralph, that song is iconic! Not just because Mick Jagger makes a guest appearance singing with her. You are so right on the money! True talent does not seem to be as valued today. It is more about the flash than anything else. Auto tuning, kids that can't play instruments let alone read music and where have all the good songwriters gone?

Marv,
    I get off watching the drummer. I've always watched drummers closely and this guy is blowing me away. To me THAT is the show.

This is a welcome thread for me to see: I am a life-long Carly Simon fan and in my opinion she has never made a bad record. Some of her covers-albums are of less interest to me personally, but those titles have been well-received critically as well as being big sellers.

Ms. Simon is of the “album generation”, by which I mean her LPs [[largely self-composed) were produced, arranged, and sequenced as a continuous listening experience, and they all hold up remarkably well. So MY vote is “No”, she never made a “bad” record!

I think Carly is also a tremendously intelligent and under-rated lyricist but I guess that would be another thread!

Lastly, Simon does indeed have a surprisingly [[and natural) soulful/funky edge to her singing. It’s most noticable in mid-tempo material: “You Belong…”, Tranquillo, “Better Not Tell Her” are just a few – and of course the Chic collab, “Why”.

reow.
    Ralph - I believe that's Russ Kunkel. Carly has always held musicians in great esteem.

... and Carly's wonderful version of Joe Tex's "Hold What You've Got" -

Marv,
    I get off watching the drummer. I've always watched drummers closely and this guy is blowing me away. To me THAT is the show.
    He is interesting to watch much like Stevie Wonders drummer is. Stevie has this big guy [[I can't remember his name now) that just kicks ass all while moving his head in circular motion, hehehehehehehehe. Carly's drummer is doin' the damned thing! LOL

In fact all of them in the first clip are excellent. Very professional and not boring to watch.

When I was a teenager, I would have loved to "examine" Carly Simon.

Ralph, I'm also a drummer, and that's the very first thing I notice.

Carly Simon is one of my most favorite female singer/songwriters.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-03-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    When I was a teenager, I would have loved to "examine" Carly Simon.

Ralph, I'm also a drummer, and that's the very first thing I notice.

Carly Simon is one of my most favorite female singer/songwriters.
    She really was something huh? I am amazed at how many, many talented artist we've been able to enjoy during "our generation"! I am also amazed by how overlooked some are and how others are discussed over and over almost daily.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-04-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She really was something huh? I am amazed at how many, many talented artist we've been able to enjoy during "our generation"! I am also amazed by how overlooked some are and how others are discussed over and over almost daily.
    Got any in mind?

It's a damn shame they can't change the name of this forum or add a new detection, or something. Too many members think the only thing you can do is talk about Motown here. Every time someone does talk about a non-Motown artist, someone complains that they have nothing to do with Motown, or try to link that artist with Motown. The point is to pay homage to a great musical center, I get that, but it really is limiting when the membership is so dogmatic about it.

Maybe if we can get Ralph or the other administrator to create an R&B or "soul" section that will give the forum permission to expand the range of music and artists. How many times and ways can you talk about the same two or three people?
    Last edited by soulster; 02-04-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Got any in mind?

It's a damn shame they can't change the name of this forum or add a new detection, or something. Too many members think the only thing you can do is talk about Motown here. Every time someone does talk about a non-Motown artist, someone complains that they have nothing to do with Motown, or try to link that artist with Motown. The point is to pay homage to a great musical center, I get that, but it really is limiting when the membership is so dogmatic about it.

Maybe if we can get Ralph or the other administrator to create an R&B or "soul" section that will give the forum permission to expand the range of music and artists. How many times and ways can you talk about the same two or three people?
    Now that's worth considering IMHO.

The moody "Why" by Carly produced by Chic. Used to hear this at clubs...

Another fav:

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Another fav:

This one was so popular partly do to the television commercial that it is almost like a "standard" now. I had no idea it came out so early.

Another nice cover by Simon, The Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes for You" from 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORSXKGc1r3Q

A well-deserved thread. This is gorgeous...

Her first hit [[live version):

Another great song:

Many of her songs, including Legend In Your Own Time, were played on Light FM:

Her songs remind of the emergence of FM radio. I was getting hip to folk singers about that time. Haven't seen any recent pictures of her. How has she held up looks wise?

Well done for starting the thread Marv. I'm a great admirer of Carly too. Although her early 70s albums are held as the classics and contain some superb work, my favourite album has always been Coming Around Again - which some of my friends who like her think was too 'pop'. No-one's yet mentioned her 'standards' albums like Torch, My Romance and Film Noir. All wonderful stuff.

As Marv probably knows, those concert clips for You're So Vain and Anticipation come from her Live From Martha's Vineyard show, which went out on TV, I believe, in 1987. I think it was made at the time of, and to promote, the Coming Around Again album. Superb location and atmosphere in addition to the performance and music! I love it. If you've not seen it, get the DVD! The drummer was Rick Marotta. Here's the band line-up:

Bass: T-Bone Wolk
    Drums: Rick Marotta
    Electric Guitar: Jimmy Ryan
    Acoustic Guitar: Hugh McCracken
    Synth, Piano, Percussion: Robbie Kilgore, Robbie Kondor
    Backup Singers: Frank Simms, Lani Groves, Kasey Cisyk

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Well done for starting the thread Marv. I'm a great admirer of Carly too. Although her early 70s albums are held as the classics and contain some superb work, my favourite album has always been Coming Around Again - which some of my friends who like her think was too 'pop'. No-one's yet mentioned her 'standards' albums like Torch, My Romance and Film Noir. All wonderful stuff.

As Marv probably knows, those concert clips for You're So Vain and Anticipation come from her Live From Martha's Vineyard show, which went out on TV, I believe, in 1987. I think it was made at the time of, and to promote, the Coming Around Again album. Superb location and atmosphere in addition to the performance and music! I love it. If you've not seen it, get the DVD! The drummer was Rick Marotta. Here's the band line-up:

Bass: T-Bone Wolk
    Drums: Rick Marotta
    Electric Guitar: Jimmy Ryan
    Acoustic Guitar: Hugh McCracken
    Synth, Piano, Percussion: Robbie Kilgore, Robbie Kondor
    Backup Singers: Frank Simms, Lani Groves, Kasey Cisyk
    Thank you Alanh! Yes I recognized the surroundings immediately as Martha's Vineyard. I lived in Boston in the Mid- 90s and know the Cape pretty well. Excellent setting for a summer concert! Thank you for the supporting info on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    The moody "Why" by Carly produced by Chic. Used to hear this at clubs...

Yes, yes, yes! I knew a girl that looked just like her!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, yes, yes! I knew a girl that looked just like her!
    I also know a woman who looks just like her. She even plays piano.

I also know a woman who looks just like her. She even plays piano.

Mine was named Joan and she was from the Mainline in Philly Metro.

Love Carly! Always loved "You Belong To Me" and that is probably still my favorite. Also, love "Why" and think she sounds wonderful with Chic; that "la-de-da-de-da..." is priceless. Also, love her singing Doobie Bros "It Keeps You Runnin'" Other favs are "Boys In The Trees", "Two Hot Girls [[On a hot summer night)" and "The Right Thing To Do."

She's a great songwriter but I wouldn't rank her with Joni or Laura Nyro, both of whom I think are near-genius composers.

While I enjoy all of Carly's single releases, her album tracks are usually killer. For a long while, one of my "desert island discs" was Letters Never Sent. Her song, The Reason, is fantastic. In fact, I may have to pull that up on the mp3 player and give that a listen on the way home tonight. And, I agree. I've never heard a bad recording from her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7_dJQ57E5o
    Last edited by thommg; 02-04-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: adding link

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    While I enjoy all of Carly's single releases, her album tracks are usually killer. For a long while, one of my "desert island discs" was Letters Never Sent. Her song, The Reason, is fantastic. In fact, I may have to pull that up on the mp3 player and give that a listen on the way home tonight. And, I agree. I've never heard a bad recording from her.

Thommg, thank you for "The Reason". I hadn't heard it before and it is very nice.....

Where are you if you don't mind me asking? Snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    "The Right Thing To Do."
    I had never paid attention to the lyrics of this song until one evening while on a road trip. The song came on on one of my homemade compilations, and I suddenly noticed the beauty of the lyrics. I could feel the love.

Marv, I am in NYC. We got snow but now it's all about the cold and the slush at street corners.

Ralph, your comment about the drummer got me really listening to the tracks instead of the vocals on Letters Never Sent [[which I did listen to on my journey home last night, and into work this morning). She really has some kick ass players on her sessions. They are so tight and the energy is always great. Thanks for the heads up about the musicians! Always nice to be reminded to listen.

Thommg,
    Glad I was able to add a different perspective for you. At times this can be problematic though. I may get hung up on a bass player's performance and listen to the song a few times just concentrating on the bass. Anyway, glad you appreciate the musicians.
    Last edited by ralpht; 02-05-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Marv, I am in NYC. We got snow but now it's all about the cold and the slush at street corners.

Ralph, your comment about the drummer got me really listening to the tracks instead of the vocals on Letters Never Sent [[which I did listen to on my journey home last night, and into work this morning). She really has some kick ass players on her sessions. They are so tight and the energy is always great. Thanks for the heads up about the musicians! Always nice to be reminded to listen.
    Well hello neighbor! Long Island & NYC here and boy do we have snow. Expecting more this weekend.

Yes, I too love LNS and "The Reason". LNS contains a great degree of sophisticated lyrics. "The River" is a beautiful tribute to Carly's mom, and I just adore "Touched By The Sun".

Marv,
    Hi Ralph:
    You said it best! I am so glad we have access to footage of the "old Motown days" that depicts top rate musicians and performers. We will probably never see dance routines like the 60's Tempts or the harmonies of the Four Tops as the norm. And of course the likes of the Funk brothers. I guess I am too old school!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Love Carly! Always loved "You Belong To Me" and that is probably still my favorite. Also, love "Why" and think she sounds wonderful with Chic; that "la-de-da-de-da..." is priceless. Also, love her singing Doobie Bros "It Keeps You Runnin'" Other favs are "Boys In The Trees", "Two Hot Girls [[On a hot summer night)" and "The Right Thing To Do."

She's a great songwriter but I wouldn't rank her with Joni or Laura Nyro, both of whom I think are near-genius composers.
    Yeah! Joni is something else. I had the opportunity to talk to her on two occasions. You could tell she was always one step ahead of the conversation. Smart lady! She is such a prolific writer as she can condense the thoughts/meaning of a paragraph into a single sentence!

Thanks for this refreshing posting Marv. Thanks to you I have been up all night revisiting the the diversified work from this highly talented songwriter/performer! What a strong voice! I thought I read where she has a bit of stage fright?

Great post and I've always loved Carly's cool laid back delivery. She's often overlooked when it comes to conversations about the greats in music. I grew up in a home with gospel and soul music but my big brother would bring home Carly Simon, James Taylor and Fleetwood Mac albums and I was all ears.

Ok, ok I know I am going out on a limb here in that this woman is not classified as a "Soul Singer".

Hardly going out on a limb seeing as how a very large portion of posts on this website have nothing whatsoever to do with soul music.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Ok, ok I know I am going out on a limb here in that this woman is not classified as a "Soul Singer".

Hardly going out on a limb seeing as how a very large portion of posts on this website have nothing whatsoever to do with soul music.
    It would be nice if most of the people here had some familiarity and appreciation of soul
    music but I always loved Carly and I can think of quite a few other singers,songwriters and
    musicians that would be interesting to see discussed on SDF...I also completely understand
    complaints made in the Motown section against acts that had absolutely no connection or
    time spent at Motown. I too, wouldn't put Carly in the same rank as Joni but then some of
    Joni's work was too complex for what Carly and her people were trying to, and did achieve...
    Chart success. Joni's work, for instance Laughing It All Away from Court and Spark, though
    incredibly beautiful was too wordy for some singers. Though Minnie Ripperton did do a
    bang up job with Woman of Heart and Mind. Soulful as hell,too...

Once again, I 180 degrees disagree with Splanky.

I've been a member of this site for 10 years now, and I have no problem with anyone discussing non-soul artists. It's all good music and so many times the styles overlap anyway. We are all collectors here, so it's not surprising that we can get into all types of music - who knows what we may come across, taking tips from other like-minded individuals.

Onto my reason for posting in this Carly Simon thread! I have to name one of my favorites by her from the Hello Big Man 1983 album -

It Happens Every Day-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX1GpwI4i9Q

[[you can jump ahead to :20 where the song starts)

This one is about breaking up and it really hits home for me. Five years ago, my ex and I called it quits after 40 years of marriage. Life got in the way and that was the end of the story of us. All is good now though! Enjoy the song if you haven't heard it before.

Oldies

I've often made it very clear that all types of music are welcome for discussion on Soulful Detroit. If you want proof, just look to me, your moderator. An old Rock & Roll piano player.

Other than Carole King ...Carly Simon is one of the most talented singer songwriters to come out of the seventies. She never did a bad record but the only thing I can remember that she did that didnt really impress me was that TORCH album. I know people liked it but it just didnt resonate with me. Also there was a video she did and I cant remember the name of the song but she was walking through fire or something and I thought it was hilarious if I can find it I will post it. Other than that there was nothing she couldnt touch on that keyboard. She plays the guitar also I love..Thats the Way Ive Always Heard it Should Be.