[REMOVE ADS]

A fans dream come true

I was 10 years old the first time that saw Sister Sledge on tv. It was Soul Train. I didn't know the name of the group at the time but they were very poised and they caught my eyes and ears. I only remembered that they were performing a Stevie Wonder song. Even after the performance I had no idea what the group's name was.
    Two years later I began to see these ladies everywhere with the release of "He's The Greatest Dancer" and "We Are Family". In fact, "We Are Family" was the first lp that I ever purchased. Needless to say I became a fan for life. Purchasing all of their music and the various magazines that featured them Glued to the television screen anytime that I heard they would be making an appearance. At the time Penny from Good Times was my girlfriend of choice but I dropped her for these ladies.
    I've always wanted to meet them but most of the times when they came to town it was at a venue that I was too young to even attend.
    Even as an adult I continued to follow their careers through social media and held on to the dream of one day meeting these ladies.
    Along came a page on facebook called Sister Sledge: Legacy of Love. It became a place where fans can post music, videos and photos of the group and discuss their favorite memories. Then Kathy, Debbie and Joni Sledge began to post and interact with the fans. Last summer Kathy Sledge posted that she would be performing in DC so a few of us from the Legacy page met up, enjoyed the show and met and took photos with her. She was beautiful, welcoming and very gracious. Then last November, Debbie Sledge posted that she would be doing two jazz show at the famed Cotton Club in New York. Again, a few of us from the Legacy page posted that we would be attending the show. Much to our surprise in attendance was Joni Sledge the first night and Kim Sledge joined the second night. I was on cloud nine at the thought of finally being able to meet them all. After the show, of course we all made our way to the front to meet the ladies and take pictures with them. They were beautiful and gracious and told us that they had a surprise for us. We all looked a bit puzzled but anxiously awaited to see what the surprise was. Well, their assistant, a guy named Sam with a British accent who looks like he could be a soap opera star appeared carrying boxes and bags from the store TUMI, a pretty high end travel accessory store. There were five of us from the Legacy page and they had gifts from all of us with a special gift for the young man who created the facebook page. We were pleasantly surprised and all I could think is what a class act. As if that wasn't enough, they made another announcement. Debbie and Joni wanted to take us to lunch the next day. My mouth dropped and I tried to hide my excitement and play it cool, but was screaming on the inside. Only three of the five of us could make it because one had a flight to catch in the morning and the other had to work. Reservations were at 12:45 pm the next day at Cafe Luxembourg in Upper Manhattan. No, this was not Applebees. Joni Sledge and their assistant Sam was there when we arrived. Debbie and her son Bernard showed up later. We dined on appetizers and had a few glasses of wine before ordering the main course. We talked about everything from cooking to world travels, reality tv, ups and downs of the industry and funny stories of growing up. Some conversations were "off the record". They expressed how disappointed they were that Nile & Bernard would not be doing a third album on them and talked about how Debbie Sledge and Bernard bumped heads a lot during the We Are Family sessions, while Nile was the peace maker. They seemed to be as interested in knowing about us as we were them. There was a lot of laughter. Debbie had to leave early to meet with her band. Joni stayed and conversations continued. Before we knew it, looked up and it was almost 4pm. It was definitely a pinch me moment and refreshing to see that these ladies that I have admired all of these years were as beautiful and classy as I had imagined. They even tipped the waiter extra since we took up the table for so long. I guess I'm still a believer that dreams do come true. Name:  brunchsledge2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  91.5 KBName:  brunchsledge2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  91.5 KBName:  JEFF SLEDGE2collage.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  88.1 KBName:  DEBBIE collagefamily.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  96.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1) Black & white photo was after lunch.
    2) Me with each sister.
    3) Collage of the sisters with some of their children
    4) Collage of Debbie including performance with her daughter Camille

By the way, oldest member Debbie Sledge is 60 now. Good black don't crack!!!
    Last edited by glencro; 02-01-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Cool story, and great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    1) Black & white photo was after lunch.
    2) Me with each sister.
    3) Collage of the sisters with some of their children
    4) Collage of Debbie including performance with her daughter Camille

By the way, oldest member Debbie Sledge is 60 now. Good black don't crack!!!
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a fantastic time with some wonderful ladies, all four of the Sledge sisters. Too bad they can't come together and perform as a unit.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a fantastic time with some wonderful ladies, all four of the Sledge sisters. Too bad they can't come together and perform as a unit.
    Thanks again for sharing
    Rod
    I agree Rod_rick

It’s often said you should never meet your heroes, but you’ve just proved once and for all that that notion is pure rubbish. A wonderful story and a happy outcome – what could be better?

[QUOTE=Hotspurman;269343]It’s often said you should never meet your heroes, but you’ve just proved once and for all that that notion is pure rubbish. A wonderful story and a happy outcome – what could be better?

Hotspurman, I've heard several nightmares of people meeting their heroes and being highly disappointed. I've had a similar admiration for the gospel group The Clark Sisters [[sumthin bout those sister acts) and even though I grew up in the same city I was nervous about meeting them. Interesting thing is that not only did I meet them back in 1999, but became administrator of their website for 10 years, traveled with them and still remain friends and work with them from time to time. They even sang at my mother's funeral. So I'm batting a thousand now but I'm sure others have not been as successful

I’ve had many heroes over the years, and I can honestly say not one of them has disappointed when I finally got to meet them in the flesh [[it helped that I spent a considerable number of years as a publicist for Pye and then CBS and was also a freelance journalist). Thus my life has been enriched by meeting Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, Edwin Starr, Gladys Knight, Donna Summer et al.
    I feel the same way about my football heroes – David Ginola, Jimmy Greaves, Glenn Hoddle and Jurgen Klinnsman are among those great players I’ve managed to get autographs and/or pictures from.

Great story & photos. They are wonderful ladies.

Great pictures Glen!

I have met the First Lady of Motown Records many many times and shes always lovely and gracious and sweet and real down to earth. ive met Smokey Robinson and Lionel Ritchie and Diane Ross and Lionel Ritchie and Thelma Houston and Bonnie Pointer and Mary Wilson and theyve all been real real gracious and sweet. The only former Motown star who was rude and real stand ofish was Gladys Knight but maybe she was having a bad day.

Roberta

I Agree, Marv. Great pictures, Glen. Thank you for posting them.