[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I still have an analog land telephone line in spite of the phone company trying hard to get me to go cellular or digital. At some point, I'll have to switch because they're about to stop repairing the infrastructure in the US.

I also pay 90% of my retail transactions with cash, which seems to surprise some of the cashiers. And I suspect that I'm in the minority by doing most of my browsing on a PC instead of a laptop, phone or tablet. The good news about all of it is that I can fall off the grid with relative ease if I suddenly need to 'disappear'.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  21.1 KB
    Same for me with analog phone with wire to the wall. I only got my first mobile phone about 1.5 years ago. I have an old-style mobile phone -not a smart phone. I don't play games on it nor use The Internet. I don't have a tablet. I use a huge I-Mac tabletop for my Internet cruising, except when I travel. Then I use a big MacBook with the biggest screen [[I hate small screens). I ALWAYS use cash. I use no heating in my housein The Netherlands -even in mid winter [[just blankets and clothing. Same in my house in USA, and my flat in Munich, Germany, and in the guest house I stay in Denmark. I don't have a car in Europe.I have a car in USA, but drive it less than 3,000 miles per year. When I was a kid, no one had TVs in their house. We didn't have dryers for our old, round washing machines. We hung clothes on the lines out in the back yard, to dry in the wind. We shoveled coal into a furnace in the basement for forced heat, and burned trash in an incinerator. We didn't have garbage disposals. Our house had an ice box [[cabinet with metal "safe door" to store food next to a large ice block that was delivered by the ice man in a horse-pulled wagon. I used a 1938 Olympia typewriter with wafer-top keys. We read comic books. We had a 1939 Canadian Mercury. My parents had a Garrard 78 phonograph. My first of my own was a 1955 Garrard 78/33/45 adaptable turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 652
    Same for me with analog phone with wire to the wall. I only got my first mobile phone about 1.5 years ago. I have an old-style mobile phone -not a smart phone. I don't play games on it nor use The Internet. I don't have a tablet. I use a huge I-Mac tabletop for my Internet cruising, except when I travel. Then I use a big MacBook with the biggest screen [[I hate small screens). I ALWAYS use cash. I use no heating in my housein The Netherlands -even in mid winter [[just blankets and clothing. Same in my house in USA, and my flat in Munich, Germany, and in the guest house I stay in Denmark. I don't have a car in Europe.I have a car in USA, but drive it less than 3,000 miles per year. When I was a kid, no one had TVs in their house. We didn't have dryers for our old, round washing machines. We hung clothes on the lines out in the back yard, to dry in the wind. We shoveled coal into a furnace in the basement for forced heat, and burned trash in an incinerator. We didn't have garbage disposals. Our house had an ice box [[cabinet with metal "safe door" to store food next to a large ice block that was delivered by the ice man in a horse-pulled wagon. I used a 1938 Olympia typewriter with wafer-top keys. We read comic books. We had a 1939 Canadian Mercury. My parents had a Garrard 78 phonograph. My first of my own was a 1955 Garrard 78/33/45 adaptable turntable.
    Amazing Robb! I wished I could say half of what you did especially driving no more than 3,000 miles a year! I bet your lifestyle is healthier than 70% of the US.

Robb_k thanks for sharing. I have one house completely off the grid but it is a lot of work to keep warm. Kinda nice tho to check out of mainstream life for a spell. Also don't have to listen or read the headlines abt the Karsashians [[sp).

Views: 739
    The one downside to having no heat is that none of my friends like visiting me in late fall, winter and early spring. So, it's good that I spend December and January at my sister's in Winnipeg [[and yes, they have central heating [[you couldn't survive the winter there without it [[even in these times of Global Warming). And I spend February through April in L.A. [[no heat EVER needed there!). So, I only have friends avoid sleeping and spending evenings at my place in The Netherlands during late October and November. But I share walls on one side with my neighbour. So their heating provides some heat, so it doesn't get below about 40 degrees F [[which is roughly the temperature I like for sleeping)-so no problem. I've always like cold [[good thing when one lives in Manitoba), and thought my metabolism would change when I grow old, and I'd be uncomfortable in it, and like it warmer. But, I'm 68 now, and that never happened.

I wish I could not have a car. But, living part-time in L.A. makes that impossible. I'd have to start 2 days early to get anywhere on a bus. So nice of the oil companies and tire companies to buy the rapid transit system and tear it down. The new light train system is nice, but there are only a few lines, and don't go where I need to go [[although, after 20 years, they are finally constructing a section of a line that is reaching my neighbourhood [[just as I am planning to leave L.A.! Wouldn't you know it?)

I also never used heat when I lived in San Francisco. But heat from the 2 flats around me kept my flat plenty warm enough. I kept my windows open even in the winter. The great thing there is that there are almost no insects, so you don't need window screens. Europe doesn't have them in most places, but you need them there in summer [[except near the ocean).

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Amazing Robb! I wished I could say half of what you did especially driving no more than 3,000 miles a year! I bet your lifestyle is healthier than 70% of the US.
Views: 599
    I just ride a bicycle, even from city to city [[within 100 miles or so), For longer trips I take a train. I'd love to ride my bicycle in L.A. on the streets. I have one there too. But, I daren't ride there for transportation, as I'd surely be killed. The only place that's safe to ride there is within small, isolated suburban neighbourhoods on small streets, or on the coastal bikeway. But I'd have to drive my bike to it, and then ride for exercise only. I'd like to use it in my daily life doing what I need to do [[as I do in Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 599
    I just ride a bicycle, even from city to city [[within 100 miles or so), For longer trips I take a train. I'd love to ride my bicycle in L.A. on the streets. I have one there too. But, I daren't ride there for transportation, as I'd surely be killed. The only place that's safe to ride there is within small, isolated suburban neighbourhoods on small streets, or on the coastal bikeway. But I'd have to drive my bike to it, and then ride for exercise only. I'd like to use it in my daily life doing what I need to do [[as I do in Europe).
    I have nightmares of me trying to ride my bike across Manhattan to get to the West side. It would be Murder She Wrote.......instantly! LOL! If I lived in Montreal, I would ride it everyday between May and September. I really admire that you ride like you do.

I have nightmares of me trying to ride my bike across Manhattan to get to the West side. It would be Murder She Wrote.......instantly! LOL! If I lived in Montreal, I would ride it everyday between May and September. I really admire that you ride like you do.
Views: 639
    I don't think I'd ride a bike in New York, or Chicago or Detroit, or just about any big city in USA. I did used to ride in the South Suburbs in the Chicago Area as a teenager, and in Winnipeg, as a kid, but that was long ago, when there were less cars, and less crazy drivers, and a lot less lawbreakers and speeders.

Columbus has created bike paths that literally span the city and there are more bike lanes on downtown streets. Some brave souls [[read: idiots) even ride them in the winter. The city has the most interesting split between fit and fat citizens imaginable.

Columbus had a bike???

Well, you all can get old if you want. I'l stay as young as I can.

My pops makes a point to tell me that I don't want to be 79 years old. I make a point to ask him what my options are.

Columbus has created bike paths that literally span the city and there are more bike lanes on downtown streets. Some brave souls [[read: idiots) even ride them in the winter. The city has the most interesting split between fit and fat citizens imaginable.
Views: 781
    Riding a bike on ice is a bad idea.

Once upon a time, long ago, [[during The '60s in Den Haag) I rode in a non-perpendicular orientation slanted across a tram track in a sleet storm, just as the temperature dropped a couple degrees below freezing. [[when I was young and very foolish, I thought I was invincible). The front wheel slid sharply along the railing, and sent the bike [[with me on it) sailing high into the air. I landed several metres ahead, bouncing squarely on my knee. I was extremely lucky to just end up with an extremely painful "stinger", as opposed to having shattered my kneecap to bits. Needless to say, I don't ride my brother-in-laws extra bike, when
    I visit Winnipeg each winter.

That recount only proves that we were indeed invincible when we were young, robb_k. Sadly, we know that is no longer true.

Hey remember when we would go up as high as we could on the swing and then jump off,try that today and you'll need both knees replaced,hehehehe.

And it is just that, arr&bee, that probably contributed to a hip replacement a few years back.

I remember when shooting a basketball didn't feel like I was hoisting a sack of cement at the rim. I also remember yelling at the old guy to hustle up and get back on defense before the youngsters started saying the same thing to me.

I still play football [[soccer) on a weekly basis, even though I’m now 57. I also still take my turn in goal, usually for longer than I did a few years back, in order to catch my breath! One thing I don’t do as much these days is dive around – I could probably get down to a shot, I’m just not that sure I’d be able to get up again!

There was a recent internet feature which advised sitting cross-legged on the floor and then attempting to raise yourself to a standing position, but without use of your hands.

If able to do that, the results from research indicated that you should have at least another 10 years to live.

I'm not entirely sure if that advice is helpful, or not......

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey remember when we would go up as high as we could on the swing and then jump off,try that today and you'll need both knees replaced,hehehehe.
    We did that too. We also use to try make the swing go over the top of the bar and come back down on the other side.........while we were in the swing! LOL! Try that today and some adult, somewhere is getting arrested for child neglect!

Check this out everyone:

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hage5.html

humor collection about aging, age, getting older
    TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED
    The 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Marv, that describes my childhood almost to a T. The only thing that I would add is that I knew better than to mess up in school or my neighborhood because my parents would find out what I did from the teacher or folks who lived in the three-block area around my house. And unlike today, instead of yelling at them for 'picking on' their kid, they'd thank them for letting them know and I took a whooping when I got home.

Curiously, the belts and switches didn't result in an unloving, violent, introvert with trust issues. I love my parents as much as ever and I'm grateful for every form of discipline [[not just spanking, BTW) that they ever gave me because I wouldn't have made it without learning boundaries and the consequences of stepping beyond them.

Marv, that describes my childhood almost to a T. The only thing that I would add is that I knew better than to mess up in school or my neighborhood because my parents would find out what I did from the teacher or folks who lived in the three-block area around my house. And unlike today, instead of yelling at them for 'picking on' their kid, they'd thank them for letting them know and I took a whooping when I got home.

Curiously, the belts and switches didn't result in an unloving, violent, introvert with trust issues. I love my parents as much as ever and I'm grateful for every form of discipline [[not just spanking, BTW) that they ever gave me because I wouldn't have made it without learning boundaries and the consequences of stepping beyond them.
    Ditto and double ditto about everything you just said! Even with the discipline, we, I was closer to my father and mother than any people on Earth. We could tell our father about any and everything we wanted to talk about. At the same time he allowed us to be boys! He did not leave us completely to our own devices because he knew we, along with many of our buddies in the neighborhood had the capacity to destroy things, LOL!

My mom took care of the discipline with us. For the record, she never left a bruise or caused us to bleed [[like Adrian Peterson). The painful part was knowing she disapproved. And we told Mom pretty much everything without fear of judgment or reprisal.

One more thing as far as 'getting old', my parents toughed it out through some pretty fierce storms as I was growing up. They hung in there when it would have been easy to give up. It's no coincidence that among my cousins, my siblings and I are in the most stable marriages.

Amen jerry,my dear mom laid down the law too,i didn't cut up much because i knew there was no hiding place...god bless her forever.

My mother and father were a tag-team duo. If you had to get it before 3 pm on weekdays, she took care of it. If it was required in the evenings or weekends, my dad did the discipline. It was something major we got the warning...."wait till your father gets home!" LOL!!!

What some folks may not understand is that the old folks did talk first in most cases,but they only told you once.

And parents didn't giggle when their kids used foul language. More often than not, the kid would learn in a swift and straightforward way not to talk like that again.

What some folks may not understand is that the old folks did talk first in most cases,but they only told you once.
    Then they would lower the boom!

And parents didn't giggle when their kids used foul language. More often than not, the kid would learn in a swift and straightforward way not to talk like that again.
    You learned that they loved you, cared for you, worked for you.........but they were not your buddy and were not supposed to be.

Hi Marv,
    Thanks for posting that. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my eyes on it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Hi Marv,
    Thanks for posting that. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my eyes on it again.
    You are most welcome Steve. Every word of it is true.......................

Remember when mom would get so mad that she started talking to herself...you must think that i'm kidding with you well you about to find out i'm not....you were dead meat at that point...i rememeber looking over at dad for help but dad had left the room.

Remember when mom would get so mad that she started talking to herself...you must think that i'm kidding with you well you about to find out i'm not....you were dead meat at that point...i rememeber looking over at dad for help but dad had left the room.

oh yeah, my mom and aunts had a habit of doing that when they were angry. LOL!

Remember when mom told you to go get one of your dad's belt for your whipping and you cussed your dad under your breath because he didn't have any skinny belts.

I remember at a college where I worked a few years ago, I was asked to be one of the presenters at an orientation workshop for incoming freshmen. Somehow the subject of finances came up and one of the students asked what my friends and I spent our money on when we were college students. When I said cassettes, they looked at me really funny and I heard a couple of snickers. When I said 8-track tapes several of them asked in unison, "WHAT are 8-track tapes?" I guess they'd think I was born with the dinosaurs and wrote in Egyptian Hieroglyphics if they knew the first recorder my parents got for me was the Wollensak reel-to-reel.

Remember when mom told you to go get one of your dad's belt for your whipping and you cussed your dad under your breath because he didn't have any skinny belts.
    Trust me, the skinny belts were worse!

Quote Originally Posted by RTA6226 View Post
    I remember at a college where I worked a few years ago, I was asked to be one of the presenters at an orientation workshop for incoming freshmen. Somehow the subject of finances came up and one of the students asked what my friends and I spent our money on when we were college students. When I said cassettes, they looked at me really funny and I heard a couple of snickers. When I said 8-track tapes several of them asked in unison, "WHAT are 8-track tapes?" I guess they'd think I was born with the dinosaurs and wrote in Egyptian Hieroglyphics if they knew the first recorder my parents got for me was the Wollensak reel-to-reel.
    Man, I really wanted to get my dad's old Bell & Howell reel-to-reel repaired when I was in high school but never had the dough with which to do it. And the only format of music that I think I never had was 78 rpm vinyl records.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Trust me, the skinny belts were worse!
    We had a mulberry bush behind our house and had to get our own switches for Mom. We had to make sure we got a good one because it only got worse if she had to do it after we brought back a little twig.

The very first record I bought was a 78 non vinyl breakable type. You Saw Me Crying In The Chapel....Can't remember the artist though.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    The very first record I bought was a 78 non vinyl breakable type. You Saw Me Crying In The Chapel....Can't remember the artist though.
    Ralph, was it Sonny Til & the Orioles?

Nope. Apparently there were three releases on three different labels over time. Got this info from a nephew who is a walking encyclopedia of record biz info. My record was a single singer. A white guy. My nephew had given me the name but I forgot it.

Ralph was it this version, the original by Darrell Glenn.

Yes, that is it. Thank you Mr. Soul.

oh yeah, my mom and aunts had a habit of doing that when they were angry. LOL!
    These coddled little xxxxxxx today could not make in my day. I remember all the moms had the other moms phone number on the wall and would offer behaviors reports! They always knew where we were at. The lady next door would call me by my first and last name when doing wrong [[she still lives in the same house). She is the last original left in the neighborhood). My dad and few others were on the auxiliary police dept. it went like this; Mom called dad at the office, then dad called his friends on the police dept. so they would send a car to drive real slow down the street to scare the shit outta us. In the end, we stayed away from drugs and other crimes, I Never ever ever drank and drove. Some of went to college; while others went to jail. Oh btw, my mother knew many self defense moves but also did modeling lol! She could twist my arm behind my back in a 2 secs.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 03-01-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    There was a recent internet feature which advised sitting cross-legged on the floor and then attempting to raise yourself to a standing position, but without use of your hands.

If able to do that, the results from research indicated that you should have at least another 10 years to live.

I'm not entirely sure if that advice is helpful, or not......
Views: 655
    I can still do that, and I recently ran the mile in 6 minutes and 23 seconds. I lift free weights every day, to keep from losing muscle tone. I'm 68 and a half, and I hope to live a LOT more than 10 more years. I haven't taken any medicine yet [[blood pressure and cholesterol is okay). And I hope to die in my sleep without having any illnesses and still having my mind intact, and having been fully mobile and able to take care of myself to the end [[that was the way my father went out at age 94 [[2 years ago)). His father had died at 96, and his mother was 97, but she was still walking 3 miles a day, and stopped eating, and died a few weeks later. She had gotten depressed from being alone from her generation, and her newly-acquired friends kept dying, one after another. I'm sure she could have lived to 105 years, easily. She had never been in hospital, even to have her 4 children. My mother died at 88, but she would have lived well into her 90s, if not over 100, had she not given up and decided just to lie in bed and do nothing her last 7 years. Her body turned to jelly and her mind to mush. She had been an agoraphobic all her life. Her mother died at 94.

So, I have good genes. If I don't ride my bicycle along on icy tram tracks, or walk in front of an oncoming bus, or argue vehemently on an Internet forum with the wrong troll, I should probably make at least 90.

Wow robb,you're a marvel i ran ten feet the other day and had to spend the night in an oxigen tent[hehe]i lifted the weight of a glass from the table to my mouth and i'm still in traction...you're my hero.

Views: 602
    Me too, Ralph! I also bought 78s first. I found "Money Honey" by The Drifters, "Sixty Minute Man" by The Dominoes, "Gee" by The Crows, "Ol' Man River" by The Ravens, and Sh-Boom by The Chords in a Salvation Army thrift store in 1954, when I was 8 years old. I paid 10¢ each! I had asked my parents to buy me my first records for my birthday in 1953, and had gotten A Flamingos, a Moonglows an Orioles and a Five Keys 78.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-03-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Robb,
    I don't remember what I paid for those early 78s, but I'd guess about a quarter.

One of my favorite things these days is finding the thrift stores and looking for vinyl[love it]you can find great stuff for[fifty cents]each most in mint condition.

One of my favorite things these days is finding the thrift stores and looking for vinyl[love it]you can find great stuff for[fifty cents]each most in mint condition.
Views: 526
    Arr&Bee, THAT'S how I amassed my giant record collection [[from 1953 to 1972. But the thrift shops started to be cased regularly by the same collectors and even record dealers so much in the late '60s, that they all but dried up, unless you happened to be there on the day new records were put out. But, even if that happened there was almost nothing to find by 1968-69-70, because dealers and major collector/dealers were bribing thrift shop managers to get first look at new records that would come in. They were held back until the collector/dealers would come in to look at them.

I remember that famous DJ, music book author, record collector, Steve Propes was a truck driver for a pie company in the Long Beach, California Area. When I attended UCLA from 1965-1969, I used to have regular run-ins with him at thrift shops, junk stores and record shop bargain bins, fighting over records. Greater Long Beach, Wilmington, San Pedro and L.A.'s South Bay were "his territories". He used to give pies to all the store managers, so he could get "first look" at the records. That same situation was true in most urban areas.

Every once in a great while, if I see a thrift shop I go in to look at the records. I never see any records released before the 1970s that are even remotely in playable shape.