[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Getting old department

Just had breakfast in my favorite Walled Lake restaurant. I've gotten to know a young cook at the place and we discuss music from time to time. Today we were discussing vinyl records. He asked me how they worked since he has never listened to one. I told him if he wanted to listen to a particular song, he would have to lift the tone arm and place it in the grooves next to the upcoming song. He had a bit of a problem grasping this concept....Now where did I leave my keys......

Are you serious? LOL! But I can relate. I have a nephew who is a musician/performer/singer and he has never held a vinyl album in his hands before. He is 22 years old.

I've posted this before. But this story reminds me of this:

Yeah Marv, this kid is somewhere in that age group. I couldn't believe it when he asked me how to play a vinyl record. But when I thought about it, how would the kid know?

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Yeah Marv, this kid is somewhere in that age group. I couldn't believe it when he asked me how to play a vinyl record. But when I thought about it, how would the kid know?
    That's true. It's funny because just a few days ago I was in this very small town. I went to this shop that sold old memorablia, radios, TV's etc and I asked the guy if he would be getting any old "record players" from the sixties and he said he would contact me.
    What kills me most is when I see a kid wearing an afro or braids or some other look that we had back in the day and they think that it's new and they originated it!

Show a kid something like this and he would be stumped to tell you what it is!

Attachment 8999

....and if you really want to mess 'em up, show them something like this! LOL!!!

Attachment 9000

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What kills me most is when I see a kid wearing an afro or braids or some other look that we had back in the day and they think that it's new and they originated it!
    We've become our parents. I think we're all beginning to sound like they use to sound to us. LOL

Don't kids ever get taught about the past?

I took some CD's into Half Price Books to sell and the guy said.....'this case is empty'. I said...."oh, I think I left that one in my Walkman." He said..."WALKMAN".....you still have a WALKMAN!." He said it so loud people looked. I felt like fleeing the store! I hang my geriatric head in shame.

Treating people who are decades younger than ourselves as our equals is a courtesy that rarely if ever works well in reverse!

It's for them just to be, and for us simply to understand them..LOL

Ever tried engaging in extended conversation with young people, without being at least tempted to say "when I was your age, I....."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,this post is classic,i can remember my folks talking about the[victrola]and me looking at em real funny,i recently showed a little one how a turntable works and the kid was fascinated,we're the new museum peices.

Then get a real good look. We're endangered.

If you really want to blow their mind, ask them if they can fathom what an 8-track player was. I remember riding with my folks from Ohio to Virginia with Dad popping in 8-track cassettes. There would be a case with 12 or so cassettes in them to tide us over when the radio lapsed out between cities. Songs would pause in the middle as it skipped from one track to the next. Hah!

Good times.

Are you serious? LOL! But I can relate. I have a nephew who is a musician/performer/singer and he has never held a vinyl album in his hands before. He is 22 years old.
    Kind of puts this so-called vinyl resurgence with the young 'uns into perspective, doesn't it?

Seriously, I cannot comprehend that there are people who have never even held, much less seen a vinyl record!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Don't kids ever get taught about the past?
    Don't old folks care about the present?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Don't old folks care about the present?
    And "BOOM!" went the dynamite...

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I took some CD's into Half Price Books to sell and the guy said.....'this case is empty'. I said...."oh, I think I left that one in my Walkman." He said..."WALKMAN".....you still have a WALKMAN!." He said it so loud people looked. I felt like fleeing the store! I hang my geriatric head in shame.
    Blueskies, I have a Flip Phone [[as well as a I-Phone). I carry the Flip Phone with me everywhere and you should see the looks I get! LOL! I still have it because it is generally one that kids will not try to steal and if I leave it somewhere chances are I will get it back!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,this post is classic,i can remember my folks talking about the[victrola]and me looking at em real funny,i recently showed a little one how a turntable works and the kid was fascinated,we're the new museum peices.
    Hey, I couldn't understand how my parents and grandparents could gather around the radio and listen to their regular programs, soap operas, etc.

Hey, I couldn't understand how my parents and grandparents could gather around the radio and listen to their regular programs, soap operas, etc.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  21.1 KB
    I must be older than you. I remember when no one had TVs in their houses. So, I remember listening to radio comedies and variety shows and mysteries. I don't have a flip phone or I-phone.I don't even know what they are. I only first got a mobile phone last year. I didn't get a computer of any kind until 1998. I never bought a car with an automatic transmission. I don't use heating in my house in The Netherlands, nor my flat in Germany, even in winter. I don't use a dishwasher.

When I tell kids we had no computers when I grew up, and no TV until I was a teenager, they asked "What did you DO all the time?" I told them we played sports, games and read books [[on paper!) I'm certain that my growing up in the '40s and early '50s was more like the youth of my parents than of my younger sisters and brother, who grew up mostly in the '60s, and my growing up was closer to that of my grandparents who grew up in the 1880s and 1890s, than it is to the kids of today, even though they had no airplanes, autos, radio, garbage disposals, refrigerators, air-conditioning [[people didn't have that in their homes when I grew up)..

".......when I was your age, we had to WALK across the living room to change the channel on the TV......"

My great niece who six was playing some tunes for me the other day, do you know this, no how about this no, so she played MJ's "Thriller", I went straight to the vinyl 12" picture disc I have & showed it to her, she said WOW that's a big CD.

That is so right, Doug. All three channels.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    That is so right, Doug. All three channels.
    Along with the 3 channels [[I well remember that)....we had these antenna's on top of the TV that someone got the bright idea to put foil on?? Plus, there was that antenna on top of the house. None of it worked very well as I remember. We were always 'fiddling' around with those dials and it was like watching TV with cataracts....bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  21.1 KB
    I must be older than you. I remember when no one had TVs in their houses. So, I remember listening to radio comedies and variety shows and mysteries. ..
    I may be about your age, or maybe a few years younger-or older . I do remember the final years of network radio and also the beginning of TV. We were too poor for TV so I watched stuff like Howdy Doody by my friends house and Children's Hour with the family in the apartement below me. But today I am grateful that we did not switch over to TV immediately, because I have a first hand knowledge of the era before me. What nice memories I have of sitting in the "parlor" with my family listening to THE SHADOW, THE LONE RANGER, BABY SNOOKS, STOP THE MUSIC, THE FBI, FIBBER MC GEE and other shows.

But I don't live in the past and usually I was the first to get a new gadget. I remember when people were amazed when I was walking around in my yard with a cordless phone talking to someone. And had a fax machine before they became popular. Had a VCR even before there was a Betamax. And computerized my business in the early nineties with a DOS system before there was WINDOWS.

I love the line above "When I was your age, we had to walk across the living room to change the channel."

Uh, we had five TV stations. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ans one independent station. But, starting in 1969, we got cable. Still had a B&W TV, though.

Soulster...you were lucky, we only had 2 TV stations BBC & ITV & our wireless [a strange thing to call a radio that had an electrical wired plug] took 10 minutes to warm up before you heard anything.

Uh, we had five TV stations. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, ans one independent station. But, starting in 1969, we got cable. Still had a B&W TV, though.
    Wow, we had at first 2 TV stations, Channel 11 [[CBS) and Channell 13 that doubled as NBC and ABC until 1968 when we got Channel 24 ABC full time. We had Canadian station channel 9 out of Windsor and then Detroit network channels with Channel 50 being the main independent until the early 70's. Cable? I didn't see cable for the first time until around 1983! That was in Colorado and then everyone back home started getting it in the mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Soulster...you were lucky, we only had 2 TV stations BBC & ITV & our wireless [a strange thing to call a radio that had an electrical wired plug] took 10 minutes to warm up before you heard anything.
    Mr. Soul in the 60s and early 70s are television broadcast days usually ended around 12 midnight. How long was the broadcast day in the UK?

Wow, we had at first 2 TV stations, Channel 11 [[CBS) and Channell 13 that doubled as NBC and ABC ...

How did that work?

How did that work?
    It was strange because in one hour you would have NBC produced programing on a given night, on others it would be ABC. They would alternate the most popular programs for each network. Some just watched the Detroit affiliate for ABC [[channel 7 WXYZ) since it was so close to Toledo to begin with. By 1968 all was well however.....

1968 was the year we got Channel 30 / PBS

Now we don't REAALLLLY have to get old..............................LOL

Loving this post. I can remember a few years ago I was on a plane and pulled my portable cd player and cd case out of my carry on. The looks that I got. You would have thought that I pulled out a turn table. Purchased my first iPod after that trip.

now we don't reaalllly have to get old..............................lol

toooo funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Loving this post. I can remember a few years ago I was on a plane and pulled my portable cd player and cd case out of my carry on. The looks that I got. You would have thought that I pulled out a turn table. Purchased my first iPod after that trip.
    Glen........hehehehehehehe....!

Mr. Soul in the 60s and early 70s are television broadcast days usually ended around 12 midnight. How long was the broadcast day in the UK?
    LOL. "We have reached the end of our broadcast day..." I remember that like it was yesterday.

Could you imagine what would happen today if all channels signed off at night?

Hey, back in the day, did you ever wake up at like two in the morning with insomnia, and turn on the TV in desperate hopes that you'd find something on?

I already mentioned that in 1969, we got cable. But, in 1972, our cable company added three Los Angeles Stations in addition to the local channels. They were KHJ, KTTV, and KTLA. I guess it was because L.A. is the entertainment capital, but we were stoked that the channels stayed on all night, at least on the weekend. Some of my fondest memories were of watching 1930-type movies, and seeing endless Cal Worthington and his dog Spot TV commercials.
    Last edited by soulster; 02-02-2015 at 03:29 AM.

We got cable in 1972 and that changed the game for me and my friends. I remember when HBO first came on, it wouldn't even start showing movies until 4 or 5:00 PM and the last one ended around 1:00 AM. And don't get me going on when MTV debuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember when HBO first came on, it wouldn't even start showing movies until 4 or 5:00 PM
    That's how it was when they started showing The Playboy Channel here in 1981 Well, they didn't bother to scramble it, either. How do I know this?

Bear in mind that in the UK, we had only three channels until 1982, which isn’t really that long ago. Channel 4 launched in 1982, then Channel 5 in 1997, by which time Sky had entered the fray. And sometimes I think there was more worth watching when we had less choice than now...

I’m not really a gadget man, having resisted the lure of CD’s until a good five years after they launched, but I was one of the first in my village to have a Sony Walkman – I got some funny looks down my local when I walked in with that. Anytime I get anything new these days I have to get my son or daughter to programme it for me, including getting the time right on my phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    Anytime I get anything new these days I have to get my son or daughter to programme it for me, including getting the time right on my phone!

Why not just have them teach you how to do it.

Soulster,
    I had a grandson run through something on a computer for me, and by the time he finished, what I learned was to call him when I needed some tech assistance.

Not to put you on the spot, Ralph, but do you think it's true that when most people age, they lose their cognitive abilities?

Not sure what I had in the first place, Soul, but probably so.

Coincidentally a friend sent me this link to an old newspaper article recently.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...w-so-much.html
    Maybe that's the reason why so many of us find it hard to deal with new stuff?! [[despite the theory subsequently disproved by the technical experts.)

Going back to Ralph's original story, I was slightly surprised that, with all the talk about the vinyl revival, that the young cook didn't really know how records 'worked'. But I suppose even though there's been a mini boom, it's only involves a relatively few people.

By the way, we also need to tell these young folk that a quantity of records is not called 'vinyls' but they are still 'vinyl'! Far too often I hear and see the word 'vinyls' when referring to more than one disc. "I've been playing more vinyls recently." It's plural noun - a shepherd doesn't have 50 sheeps!

I think it is always possible that cognitive abilities can actually increase with age, provided the interest is strong enough, and also the will to actually apply oneself to a new task, not just muse on it.

It's natural to have tried and trusted routines, which become very engrained over decades, so responding to change needs some thought,to override long-established habits [[for example, negative thinking), and to recognise any benefits.

Besides, the young can start each day with a relatively blank canvas. People of our years have many memories which can be triggered by new experiences. Those memories seemingly float in and out of our minds at will, and can really distract us....

Marv2 it appears about the same, here's the listing on BBC1 from 4th January 1969.

12.00 : THE WEATHER MAN
    Graham Parker
    Contributors

Unknown: Graham Parker

12.05 : LAUREL AND HARDY
    Two of the world's greatest laughter-makers in a selection of their famous short films
    The Live Ghost
    A Hal Roach film
    Directed by Charles Rogers
    Stan and Ollie try to get a crew for a haunted ship and find themselves afloat.
    Contributors

Unknown: Hal Roach
    Directed By: Charles Rogers

12.25 : ZOKKO!
    Noise! Adventure! Glitter]
    Today's edition includes:
    Skayn
    10: The Deadly Planet . . . with the voices of SHEELAGH McGRATH
    GORDON CLYDE , ANTHONY JACKSON and pictures by LESLIE CASWELL
    The breathtaking ...
    Eddy Limbo and Pat Zokkol music by BRIAN FAHEY
    Animation by TED LEWIS and MALCOLM DRAPER
    Directed by PAUL CIANI
    Written and produced by MOLLY COX
    Contributors

Unknown: Sheelagh McGrath
    Unknown: Gordon Clyde
    Unknown: Anthony Jackson
    Unknown: Leslie Caswell
    Unknown: Pat Zokkol
    Music By: Brian Fahey
    Unknown: Ted Lewis
    Unknown: Malcolm Draper
    Directed By: Paul Ciani
    Produced By: Molly Cox

12.45 : GRANDSTAND
    See panel below
    TODAY'S TIMETABLE
    12.55 Fight of the Week
    1.10 Racing
    1.2S F.A. Cup preview
    1.35 Racing
    1.55 Ski-ing
    2.5 Racing
    2.25 Ski-ing
    2.35 Racing
    2.55 Swimming
    3.10 Rugby League
    3.30 Swimming
    3.45 Rugby League
    4.30 Swimming
    4.40 Teleprinter
    4.46 Swimming
    4.55 Results Service
    Classified football results
    Racing results, Rugby Union and Rugby League results
    These timings mau be altered by events

17.15 : DR WHO
    An adventure in space and time starring PATRICK TROUGHTON FRAZER HINES WENDY PADBURY James Copeland, Gilbert Wynne
    The Krotons by ROBERT HOLMES
    PART 2: The Doctor and Zoe are tested by the Teaching Machines. Their score is high-and they are summoned by the dreaded Krotons...
    Cast in order of appearance:
    Title music by RON GRAINER and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop
    Script editor, Terrance Dicks
    Designer, Raymond London
    Producer, PETER BRYANT
    Directed by DAVID MALONEY
    Contributors

Written by: Robert Holmes
    Title Music By: Ron Grainer
    Script Editor: Terrance Dicks
    Designer: Raymond London
    Producer: Peter Bryant
    Directed By: David Maloney
    Dr Who: Patrick Troughton
    Zoe: Wendy Padbury
    Jamie: Frazer Hines
    Setris: James Copeland
    Thara: Gilbert Wynne
    Vana: Madeleine Mills
    Krotons: Robert La'Bassiere, Miles Northover
    Kroton voices: Roy Skelton, Patrick Tull

17.40 : THE NEWS
    and THE WEATHER MAN Graham Parker
    Contributors

17.50 : HERE'S LUCY
    a A new comedy film series starring and Mod, Mod Lucy
    ...finds herself a slice of the action
    Contributors

Lucy Carter: Lucille Ball
    her children, Craig: Desi Armaz Jr
    her children, Kim: Lucie
    Harrison Carter: Gale Gordon

18.15 : HAPPENING FOR LULU
    A series of programmes of music and laughter featuring the world of LULU her special guests and friends

Johnny Harris and his Orchestra
    Vocal backing
    Sue and Sunny with Kay and Pan's People
    Choreography, Flick Colby
    Design, J. Roger Lowe
    Production, STANLEY DORFMAN
    Among the guests Lulu will welcome tonight is Jimi Hendrix whose sensational rendering of Dylan's song ' All along the watch-tower ' recently rocketed him back into the Top Ten.
    Contributors

Unknown: Johnny Harris
    Design: J. Roger Lowe
    Unknown: Stanley Dorfman
    Unknown: Jimi Hendrix

19.00 : THE MORECAMBE AND WISE SHOW
    Written by DICK HILLS and SID GREEN starring
    ERIC MORECAMBE and ERNIE WISE
    Guest artists, GEORGIA BROWN, LOS ZAFIROS
    With Jenny Lee-Wright, Bettine Le Beau
    Orchestra directed by ALYN AINSWORTH
    Design, Brian Tregidden
    Produced by JOHN AMMONDS
    First shown on BBC-2
    Contributors

Written By: Dick Hills, Sid Green
    Artists: Georgia Brown
    Artists: Los Zafiros
    Unknown: Jenny Lee-Wright
    Unknown: Bettine Le Beau
    Directed By: Alyn Ainsworth
    Design: Brian Tregidden
    Produced By: John Ammonds

19.30 : THE ROLF HARRIS SHOW
    starring
    ROLF HARRIS with THE YOUNG GENERATION
    VALERIE BARRETT BOBBY BANNERMAN HEATHER BECKERS Chris COOPER MARlEFINCH
    ANN CHAPMAN DANNY GROVER
    ANNCHAPMAN
    JACKIE DALTON HARRY HIGHAM JANE HERBERT ROGER HOWLETT LINDA HERBERT ERIK-JACK
    LINDA JOLI. IFF SCOT MACKEB
    LESLEY JUDD DENNIS MORRISEY KAY KORDA PETER NEWTON LINDA LAWRENCE BRIAN ROGERS PATRICIA LOVETT BARRY STEVENS SANDY PENSON RICKY STRATFUL TERRY ROBINSON DONALD TORR
    WEI WEI WONG TREVOR WILLIS
    Choreography, DOUGLAS SQUIRES
    Guest artists,
    ESTHER and ABI OFARIM PAUL JONES
    TONY CAWLEY
    MARIE LAFORET
    Musical arrangements by Alan Roper and Norman Percival
    Script by Spike Mullins , Joe Steeples
    Costumes, Rupert Jarvis
    Design, Victor Meredith and Roger Murray-Leach
    Production, STEWART MORRIS See page 27
    Contributors

Unknown: Rolf Harris
    Unknown: Linda Herbert Erik-Jack
    Unknown: Linda Joli.
    Unknown: Abi Ofarim
    Unknown: Paul Jones
    Unknown: Tony Cawley
    Unknown: Marie Laforet
    Arrangements By: Alan Roper
    Arrangements By: Norman Percival
    Script By: Spike Mullins
    Script By: Joe Steeples
    Unknown: Rupert Jarvis
    Design: Victor Meredith
    Design: Roger Murray-Leach
    Unknown: Stewart Morris

20.15 : THE SATURDAY THRILLER: TENSION
    Feature films with suspense, danger, excitement
    Tension starring
    RICHARD BASEHART
    AUDREY TOTTER with Cyd Charisse , Barry Sullivan Lloyd Gough
    Screenplay by ALLEN RIVKIN Produced and directed by John Berry
    A jealous husband plans the murder of his wife's lover by assuming a false identity, with a result very different from that Intended. Richard Basehart gives a characteristically sensitive and Intelligent performance as the man in question.
    Contributors

Unknown: Richard Basehart
    Unknown: Cyd Charisse
    Unknown: Barry Sullivan
    Unknown: Lloyd Gough
    Unknown: Allen Rivkin
    Directed By: John Berry
    Warren Quimby: Richard Basehart
    Claire Quimby: Audrey Totter
    Mary Chanler: Cyd Charisse
    Lt Collier Bonnabel: Barry Sullivan
    Barney Daeger: Lloyd Gough
    Freddie: Tom D'Andrea
    Lt Edgar Gonsales: William Conrad
    Narco: Tito Renalde

21.45 : TILL DEATH US DO PART
    In sickness and in health
    When we are ill, few of us make good patients at home or in hospital. Alf, understandably, is one of the worst....
    Written by JOHNNY SPEIGHT starring
    Guest star, Graham Stark featuring
    Anthony Sharp and Mark Eden with Tommy Godfrey and Valerie Murray Music by DENNIS WILSON
    Designed by Martin Collins
    Produced by DENNIS MAIN WILSON
    Contributors

Written By: Johnny Speight
    Unknown: Graham Stark
    Unknown: Anthony Sharp
    Unknown: Mark Eden
    Unknown: Tommy Godfrey
    Unknown: Valerie Murray
    Music By: Dennis Wilson
    Designed By: Martin Collins
    Produced By: Dennis Main Wilson
    Alf: Warren Mitchell
    Else: Dandy Nichols
    Mike: Anthony Booth
    Rita: Una Stubbs

22.15 : THE NEWS
    with Richard Baker followed by THE WEATHER
    Contributors

Unknown: Richard Baker

22.25 : F.A. CUP SPECIAL
    David Coleman reports on today's
    F.A. CUP
    Third Round
    Out cf the 430 Clubs who entered the F.A. Challenge Cup Competition this season, sixty-four remain today to play in this the third round, where the Third and Fourth Division and non-League Clubs are joined by the giants of the First and Second Divisions.
    Kenneth Wolstenholme , David Coleman and Alan Weeks report with outside broadcast cameras on three of today's exciting Cup ties.
    Television presentation by John McGonagle. Roy Norton
    Richard Tilling and Brian Venner Produced by ALEC WEEKS
    Contributors

Unknown: David Coleman
    Unknown: Kenneth Wolstenholme
    Unknown: Alan Weeks
    Presentation By: John McGonagle.
    Presentation By: Roy Norton
    Presentation By: Richard Tilling
    Presentation By: Brian Venner
    Produced By: Alec Weeks

23.15 : BRADEN'S WEEK
    Each week
    25,000 tons of newsprint
    50 hours of news bulletins
    One man
    BERNARD BRADEN and his team
    John Pitman , Esther Rantzen take a look at some of the things that happened-and some of the things that didn't
    Song of the week: Jake Thackray
    Children of the week:
    Harold Williamson
    Designer, Don Giles Director, TOM CONWAY
    Producer, JOHN LLOYD
    Edited by DESMOND WILCOX and BILL MORTON
    Contributors

Unknown: Bernard Braden
    Unknown: John Pitman
    Unknown: Esther Rantzen
    Unknown: Jake Thackray
    Designer: Don Giles
    Director: Tom Conway
    Producer: John Lloyd
    Edited By: Desmond Wilcox
    Edited By: Bill Morton

23.45 : THE WEATHER MAN
    Close Down

Marv2 it appears about the same, here's the listing on BBC1 from 4th January 1969.

12.00 : THE WEATHER MAN
    Graham Parker
    Contributors

12.05 : LAUREL AND HARDY
    Two of the world's greatest laughter-makers in a selection of their famous short films
    The Live Ghost
    A Hal Roach film
    Directed by Charles Rogers
    Stan and Ollie try to get a crew for a haunted ship and find themselves afloat.
    Contributors

Unknown: Hal Roach
    Directed By: Charles Rogers

12.25 : ZOKKO!
    Noise! Adventure! Glitter]
    Today's edition includes:
    Skayn
    10: The Deadly Planet . . . with the voices of SHEELAGH McGRATH
    GORDON CLYDE , ANTHONY JACKSON and pictures by LESLIE CASWELL
    The breathtaking ...
    Eddy Limbo and Pat Zokkol music by BRIAN FAHEY
    Animation by TED LEWIS and MALCOLM DRAPER
    Directed by PAUL CIANI
    Written and produced by MOLLY COX
    Contributors

Unknown: Sheelagh McGrath
    Unknown: Gordon Clyde
    Unknown: Anthony Jackson
    Unknown: Leslie Caswell
    Unknown: Pat Zokkol
    Music By: Brian Fahey
    Unknown: Ted Lewis
    Unknown: Malcolm Draper
    Directed By: Paul Ciani
    Produced By: Molly Cox

12.45 : GRANDSTAND
    See panel below
    TODAY'S TIMETABLE
    12.55 Fight of the Week
    1.10 Racing
    1.2S F.A. Cup preview
    1.35 Racing
    1.55 Ski-ing
    2.5 Racing
    2.25 Ski-ing
    2.35 Racing
    2.55 Swimming
    3.10 Rugby League
    3.30 Swimming
    3.45 Rugby League
    4.30 Swimming
    4.40 Teleprinter
    4.46 Swimming
    4.55 Results Service
    Classified football results
    Racing results, Rugby Union and Rugby League results
    These timings mau be altered by events

17.15 : DR WHO
    An adventure in space and time starring PATRICK TROUGHTON FRAZER HINES WENDY PADBURY James Copeland, Gilbert Wynne
    The Krotons by ROBERT HOLMES
    PART 2: The Doctor and Zoe are tested by the Teaching Machines. Their score is high-and they are summoned by the dreaded Krotons...
    Cast in order of appearance:
    Title music by RON GRAINER and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop
    Script editor, Terrance Dicks
    Designer, Raymond London
    Producer, PETER BRYANT
    Directed by DAVID MALONEY
    Contributors

Written by: Robert Holmes
    Title Music By: Ron Grainer
    Script Editor: Terrance Dicks
    Designer: Raymond London
    Producer: Peter Bryant
    Directed By: David Maloney
    Dr Who: Patrick Troughton
    Zoe: Wendy Padbury
    Jamie: Frazer Hines
    Setris: James Copeland
    Thara: Gilbert Wynne
    Vana: Madeleine Mills
    Krotons: Robert La'Bassiere, Miles Northover
    Kroton voices: Roy Skelton, Patrick Tull

17.40 : THE NEWS
    and THE WEATHER MAN Graham Parker
    Contributors

17.50 : HERE'S LUCY
    a A new comedy film series starring and Mod, Mod Lucy
    ...finds herself a slice of the action
    Contributors

Lucy Carter: Lucille Ball
    her children, Craig: Desi Armaz Jr
    her children, Kim: Lucie
    Harrison Carter: Gale Gordon

18.15 : HAPPENING FOR LULU
    A series of programmes of music and laughter featuring the world of LULU her special guests and friends

Johnny Harris and his Orchestra
    Vocal backing
    Sue and Sunny with Kay and Pan's People
    Choreography, Flick Colby
    Design, J. Roger Lowe
    Production, STANLEY DORFMAN
    Among the guests Lulu will welcome tonight is Jimi Hendrix whose sensational rendering of Dylan's song ' All along the watch-tower ' recently rocketed him back into the Top Ten.
    Contributors

Unknown: Johnny Harris
    Design: J. Roger Lowe
    Unknown: Stanley Dorfman
    Unknown: Jimi Hendrix

19.00 : THE MORECAMBE AND WISE SHOW
    Written by DICK HILLS and SID GREEN starring
    ERIC MORECAMBE and ERNIE WISE
    Guest artists, GEORGIA BROWN, LOS ZAFIROS
    With Jenny Lee-Wright, Bettine Le Beau
    Design, Brian Tregidden
    Produced by JOHN AMMONDS
    First shown on BBC-2
    Contributors

Written By: Dick Hills, Sid Green
    Artists: Georgia Brown
    Artists: Los Zafiros
    Unknown: Jenny Lee-Wright
    Unknown: Bettine Le Beau
    Design: Brian Tregidden
    Produced By: John Ammonds

19.30 : THE ROLF HARRIS SHOW
    starring
    ROLF HARRIS with THE YOUNG GENERATION
    VALERIE BARRETT BOBBY BANNERMAN HEATHER BECKERS Chris COOPER MARlEFINCH
    ANN CHAPMAN DANNY GROVER
    ANNCHAPMAN
    JACKIE DALTON HARRY HIGHAM JANE HERBERT ROGER HOWLETT LINDA HERBERT ERIK-JACK
    LINDA JOLI. IFF SCOT MACKEB
    LESLEY JUDD DENNIS MORRISEY KAY KORDA PETER NEWTON LINDA LAWRENCE BRIAN ROGERS PATRICIA LOVETT BARRY STEVENS SANDY PENSON RICKY STRATFUL TERRY ROBINSON DONALD TORR
    WEI WEI WONG TREVOR WILLIS
    Choreography, DOUGLAS SQUIRES
    Guest artists,
    ESTHER and ABI OFARIM PAUL JONES
    TONY CAWLEY
    MARIE LAFORET
    Musical arrangements by Alan Roper and Norman Percival
    Script by Spike Mullins , Joe Steeples
    Costumes, Rupert Jarvis
    Design, Victor Meredith and Roger Murray-Leach
    Production, STEWART MORRIS See page 27
    Contributors

Unknown: Rolf Harris
    Unknown: Linda Herbert Erik-Jack
    Unknown: Linda Joli.
    Unknown: Abi Ofarim
    Unknown: Paul Jones
    Unknown: Tony Cawley
    Unknown: Marie Laforet
    Arrangements By: Alan Roper
    Arrangements By: Norman Percival
    Script By: Spike Mullins
    Script By: Joe Steeples
    Unknown: Rupert Jarvis
    Design: Victor Meredith
    Design: Roger Murray-Leach
    Unknown: Stewart Morris

20.15 : THE SATURDAY THRILLER: TENSION
    Feature films with suspense, danger, excitement
    Tension starring
    RICHARD BASEHART
    AUDREY TOTTER with Cyd Charisse , Barry Sullivan Lloyd Gough
    Screenplay by ALLEN RIVKIN Produced and directed by John Berry
    A jealous husband plans the murder of his wife's lover by assuming a false identity, with a result very different from that Intended. Richard Basehart gives a characteristically sensitive and Intelligent performance as the man in question.
    Contributors

Unknown: Cyd Charisse
    Unknown: Barry Sullivan
    Unknown: Lloyd Gough
    Unknown: Allen Rivkin
    Directed By: John Berry
    Warren Quimby: Richard Basehart
    Claire Quimby: Audrey Totter
    Mary Chanler: Cyd Charisse
    Lt Collier Bonnabel: Barry Sullivan
    Barney Daeger: Lloyd Gough
    Freddie: Tom D'Andrea
    Lt Edgar Gonsales: William Conrad
    Narco: Tito Renalde

21.45 : TILL DEATH US DO PART
    In sickness and in health
    When we are ill, few of us make good patients at home or in hospital. Alf, understandably, is one of the worst....
    Written by JOHNNY SPEIGHT starring
    Guest star, Graham Stark featuring
    Anthony Sharp and Mark Eden with Tommy Godfrey and Valerie Murray Music by DENNIS WILSON
    Designed by Martin Collins
    Produced by DENNIS MAIN WILSON
    Contributors

Written By: Johnny Speight
    Unknown: Graham Stark
    Unknown: Anthony Sharp
    Unknown: Mark Eden
    Unknown: Tommy Godfrey
    Unknown: Valerie Murray
    Music By: Dennis Wilson
    Designed By: Martin Collins
    Produced By: Dennis Main Wilson
    Alf: Warren Mitchell
    Else: Dandy Nichols
    Mike: Anthony Booth
    Rita: Una Stubbs

22.15 : THE NEWS
    with Richard Baker followed by THE WEATHER
    Contributors

Unknown: Richard Baker

22.25 : F.A. CUP SPECIAL
    David Coleman reports on today's
    F.A. CUP
    Third Round
    Out cf the 430 Clubs who entered the F.A. Challenge Cup Competition this season, sixty-four remain today to play in this the third round, where the Third and Fourth Division and non-League Clubs are joined by the giants of the First and Second Divisions.
    Kenneth Wolstenholme , David Coleman and Alan Weeks report with outside broadcast cameras on three of today's exciting Cup ties.
    Television presentation by John McGonagle. Roy Norton
    Richard Tilling and Brian Venner Produced by ALEC WEEKS
    Contributors

Unknown: Kenneth Wolstenholme
    Unknown: Alan Weeks
    Presentation By: John McGonagle.
    Presentation By: Roy Norton
    Presentation By: Richard Tilling
    Presentation By: Brian Venner
    Produced By: Alec Weeks

23.15 : BRADEN'S WEEK
    Each week
    25,000 tons of newsprint
    50 hours of news bulletins
    One man
    BERNARD BRADEN and his team
    John Pitman , Esther Rantzen take a look at some of the things that happened-and some of the things that didn't
    Song of the week: Jake Thackray
    Children of the week:
    Harold Williamson
    Designer, Don Giles Director, TOM CONWAY
    Producer, JOHN LLOYD
    Edited by DESMOND WILCOX and BILL MORTON
    Contributors

Unknown: Bernard Braden
    Unknown: John Pitman
    Unknown: Esther Rantzen
    Unknown: Jake Thackray
    Designer: Don Giles
    Director: Tom Conway
    Producer: John Lloyd
    Edited By: Desmond Wilcox
    Edited By: Bill Morton

23.45 : THE WEATHER MAN
    Close Down
    Thanks for that Soul man. I am not too keen on what those times are, but the breathe of programming seems quite interesting. I can remember watching and interview the Prince Andrew gave while giving a tour of Windsor Castle I believe. He and I are the same age and he was remembering how crazy he was over Dr. Who when he was growing. It being his favorite program. For us, it might have been Batman. LOL

Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.

Marv2...Did you notice Jimi Hendrix on the Lulu show...Batman was/is my favourite, in fact I treated myself to the just released blu-ray DVD box set for Christmas.
    I did miss that the first time I scanned it. Wow! I didn't even know Lulu had a show. I had a crush on her when To Sir With Love came out. LOL!