[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1

    The Gladys Knight Theater - Las Vegas

    Did you know there was a theater in Las Vegas named after Gladys Knight? Wow!


  2. #2
    I didn't know there was a theater named after her in LV. What a great honor and so well deserved. Congratulations Gladys!

  3. #3
    There is no theater named the Gladys Knight theater anymore. There was a theater called the Gladys Knight Thater at the Tropicanna Hotel Casino in Las Vegas two years ago that was for Gladys to perform nightly in but it closed after a few weeks due to poor ticket sales.

    Heres an article on it.

    http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kat...ose-tropicana/

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    There is no theater named the Gladys Knight theater anymore. There was a theater called the Gladys Knight Thater at the Tropicanna Hotel Casino in Las Vegas two years ago that was for Gladys to perform nightly in but it closed after a few weeks due to poor ticket sales.

    Heres an article on it.

    http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kat...ose-tropicana/

    But there was one that's the point! What an incredible honor to one of the greatest female vocalists ever!!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But there was one that's the point! What an incredible honor to one of the greatest female vocalists ever!!!
    lol sure. i think a lot of us can see through you my dear and many of us have a feeling this has something to do with your old pal Diane getting gigs at the Venitian Hotel and Casino.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    lol sure. i think a lot of us can see through you my dear and many of us have a feeling this has something to do with your old pal Diane getting gigs at the Venitian Hotel and Casino.

    Hadn't thought about that but, Diane don't have a theater named after her though....................

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hadn't thought about that but, Diane don't have a theater named after her though....................
    lolololol. Sure you hadnt. Thanks for the chuckle dear. hehehehehehehe

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    lolololol. Sure you hadnt. Thanks for the chuckle dear. hehehehehehehe
    Roberta, how come there's no theaters named after Diana Ross?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Roberta, how come there's no theaters named after Diana Ross?
    I have no idea and really have no interest marv2. Why do you care so much about Diane Ross?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I have no idea and really have no interest marv2. Why do you care so much about Diane Ross?
    I didn't think you knew.......

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I have no idea and really have no interest marv2. Why do you care so much about Diane Ross?
    You had interest or you would not have come into this thread and posted......

    For the record , it was you, not I that brought up Diana Ross first in this thread. Everyone can simply read the posts in the order in which they were posted and see that.

  12. #12
    Now run along and report me to Ralph now dear.

  13. #13
    thomas96 Guest
    Oh lord, not again.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Oh lord, not again.
    More like please Lord! LOL

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Roberta, how come there's no theaters named after Diana Ross?
    .................................................. .................................................. .............
    Name:  Diana Theater.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  73.5 KB

  16. #16
    Wasn't there a sound stage or movie studio in New York named after Diana Ross ?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Wasn't there a sound stage or movie studio in New York named after Diana Ross ?
    In the 80s, they renamed one the soundstages at Astoria Studios after Diana.
    Last edited by reese; 01-28-2015 at 07:38 PM.

  18. #18
    And of course. the DIANA ROSS PLAYGROUND in Central Park

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/diana-ross-playground-new-york

  19. #19
    Tropicana Vegas !... Name:  Trop s.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  60.3 KB

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Tropicana Vegas !... Name:  Trop s.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  60.3 KB
    That is a great picture. Thank you Eargasm!

  21. #21
    They named it after Gladys because she was to have a permanent run with time off here and there - like Donny and Marie. However, the ticket demand was so low, that the heavily discounted seats were not making any money. I don’t know why as she’s a killer vocalist but she tends to talk too much and brag a lot. Anyway, if Ross wanted a longtime gig there, they’d name it after her in a heartbeat. But, it was quite an honor for Gladys and the night we went it was half full.

  22. #22
    Great to see a theater named after the Empress. Thanks!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great to see a theater named after the Empress. Thanks!
    She has definitely earned it as one of the best of the best.

  24. #24
    I love Gladys Knight. Seen her live in the 90s and she put on a
    great show. I loved every minute of it. Everyone who was with me loved her show. A few years later she was in Reno Nevada and I took some friends and family and I bragged how good she was live. I don't know what happened but I was very disappointed because she talked more than she sang. I kept telling everyone this wasn't the same show that I saw the first time. Don't get me wrong I like a little talking before each song in a concert but she really did overdo it. It was like come on now shut up and start singing. Lol.

  25. #25
    The EMPRESS also had a boutique in the Trop, that sold her jewelry range, plus the never released before DVD " Live at the Flamingo " ! Name:  peach trop.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  72.7 KB

  26. #26
    Flamingo DVD Cover !..... Name:  Flamingo DVD Cover 2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  55.4 KB

  27. #27
    I saw her at a casino a few years ago and she was just wonderful. She didn’t talk excessively at all. I think her brother talked more!

  28. #28
    I loved GK&TP live but saw Gladys live a couple of times in NYC and found the experience wanting for all the reasons posters have stated before. A great singer and an American classic. But not always a great performer. But I wish Knight the best.

  29. #29
    I saw Gladys Knight (with the O'Jays) in 2015 at the Hollywood Casino outdoors and she turned it out! She always puts on a great show! The crowd were on their feet a lot and sang along to most of Gladys songs. She looked great too.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    The EMPRESS also had a boutique in the Trop, that sold her jewelry range, plus the never released before DVD " Live at the Flamingo " ! Name:  peach trop.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  72.7 KB
    Your pictures are excellent Eargasm. Thank you very much for sharing them.

  31. #31
    I've seen the EMPRESS many times in concert, and she's always been Incredible !...Name:  cathy g 2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  96.2 KB

  32. #32
    Another Boutique shot !... Name:  vegas trip to see Gladys  Knight 110.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  56.3 KB

  33. #33
    Even the buses in Vegas, loved the EMPRESS !.... Name:  trop 2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  78.5 KB

  34. #34
    I agree! I've seen her several times with the Pips and at least 7-8 times solo from Denver to Detroit to Atlantic City. Indoor concerts and outdoor concerts and she is simply tremendous!

  35. #35
    Gladys has been living in Vegas since 1978... I'm not surprised she had hotels named after her. That's where she had to go to rehab for gambling (something that she said made her wanna seek religion; she converted from Christianity (Baptism) to Mormonism shortly afterwards). That's where she's made home at. She and her husband (of some 17 years now) put their last home on the market and are either in the process of buying another home in Vegas or already got one.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I agree! I've seen her several times with the Pips and at least 7-8 times solo from Denver to Detroit to Atlantic City. Indoor concerts and outdoor concerts and she is simply tremendous!
    Fan friendly with a million dollar smile!

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Gladys has been living in Vegas since 1978... I'm not surprised she had hotels named after her. That's where she had to go to rehab for gambling (something that she said made her wanna seek religion; she converted from Christianity (Baptism) to Mormonism shortly afterwards). That's where she's made home at. She and her husband (of some 17 years now) put their last home on the market and are either in the process of buying another home in Vegas or already got one.
    You left out the part about them (Gladys and William) building a community center in North Carolina for youth in a small town there in need. That's Gladys Knight, always trying to help others even way back before "That's What Friends Are For" raising money for AIDS research and all types of charities over the years. God Bless her!

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Fan friendly with a million dollar smile!
    So very friendly. In the 50-60 years she's been a star, I have never heard a report of Gladys mistreating fans or other people. Her mama raised her right! LOL!

  39. #39
    As I understand it she and Mary Wilson are very good friends...a lot in common...Vegas, charity work and are very good people!

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    As I understand it she and Mary Wilson are very good friends...a lot in common...Vegas, charity work and are very good people!
    Yes, Mary, Gladys and Bubba Knight have been good friends for decades now. Legends that still do a lot for charity here and around the World.

  41. #41
    As much money as she's lost at the poker tables over the years...she probably financed it.

  42. #42
    Her daughter Kenya said that Gladys luckily never got to file bankruptcy but did say she was "getting there". Kenya had to pay her own money to get tuition because Gladys was that close to getting in the red (plus she had to pay that IRS bill from the mid-80s).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.