[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1

    Exclamation Florence Ballard live on Swingin' Time - 1968

    Any Info about this?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Any Info about this?
    i gotta ask, are looking for every single appearance that the girls ever made on tv? As much as I want to also, I highly doubt we will ever see it

  3. #3
    I don't want to be ''The Ransomer of footages '' but there are some rare appearances of The Supremes that few people saw, so I'm doing these topics, to retrieve them and put on Youtube, and is working well already do recover:

    My Favorite Things on Hullababoo - 1966
    Children's Christmas Song on Hullabaloo - 1966
    Medley on Andy Williams Show - 1967
    Arrid Extra Dry Deoderant Commercial - 1967
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 01-22-2015 at 05:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    I don't want to be ''The Ransomer of footages '' but there are some rare appearances of The Supremes that few people saw, so I'm doing these topics, to retrieve them and put on Youtube, and is working well already do recover:

    My Favorite Things on Hullababoo - 1966
    Children's Christmas Song on Hullabaloo - 1966
    Medley on Andy Williams Show - 1967
    Arrid Extra Dry Deoderant Commercial - 1967
    as you may know a lot of these clips have been on you tube off and on during the past few years. I'm sure there are many here that have the clips as they've been passed around. I'm guessing you're late in the game in trading videos with your fellow board members. But keep at ur you never know what you might find

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Any Info about this?
    This one is going to be a little tough since Swingin Time was broadcast on the long defunct Channel 9 CKLW Windsor. The local station was replaced by the CBC network station over 25 years ago.

  6. #6
    So where the footages gone?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    So where the footages gone?
    You may want to start by writing to the CBC.

  8. #8
    I'd make a request on Research Videos, but unfortunately they don't provide the footage to fans

  9. #9
    Was this a solo appearance by Flo? I would like to see her solo performance at Ford Auditorium -I believe that was a benefit performance where she sang Come See About Me. I was way too young at the time to know anything about the event. Does anyone know if she sang other songs?

    I really think she had much undeveloped comedic ability.

  10. #10
    That night she sang Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" and "Come See About Me" backed by the all-female band The Deadly Nightshade Band. Flo got a standing ovation. Unfortanelly i wasn't born at the 70's

    Here's a photo from the show

    Name:  1925344_675419575830272_850569878_n.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  23.1 KB

  11. #11
    Re: the whereabouts of old video footage from Swingin' Time...most of the footage was never saved in the first place, the tapes were re-used and the performances were taped over. That's why what little footage that does exist is so rare. I doubt there's very much out there that hasn't already been discovered.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    That night she sang Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" and "Come See About Me" backed by the all-female band The Deadly Nightshade Band. Flo got a standing ovation. Unfortanelly i wasn't born at the 70's

    Here's a photo from the show

    Name:  1925344_675419575830272_850569878_n.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  23.1 KB
    If you dig through the forum, I posted links to the above image, as well as other rare shots of Flo performing solo, in other threads. I also recommend posting LINKS to the pictures, rather than the actual photos themselves to avoid copyright infringement claims.

  13. #13
    Ooooops... Sorry, here's the link => https://www.facebook.com/17265274277...type=3&theater

  14. #14
    There was a thread on here several years ago and I had asked about Flo's appearance on Swingin' Time. I think the only person who had confirmed this appearance was Marv and one or two other fans. At that time, I had done a search and found the company that owned/held the license to the Swingin' Time footage and they sent me a response stating that they had no footage of Flo in their archives. It could exist, but I've also read many times that many Swingin' Time tapes were erased

  15. #15
    These are the "Swingin` Time" video clips that have been released:
    Temptations: "My Girl"
    "Get Ready"
    "My Baby"
    "Don`t Look Back"
    "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep"
    "(I Know) I`m Losing You"
    Miracles: "The Tracks Of My Tears"
    "Going To A` Go-Go"
    "My Girl Has Gone"
    Marvin Gaye: "Pretty Little Baby"
    "Ain`t That Peculiar"
    Elgins: "Put Yourself In My Place"
    "Heaven Must Have Sent You"
    Stevie Wonder: "Uptight (Everything`s Alright)"
    "Blowing In The Wind"
    Marvelettes: "Please Mr. Postman"
    "Don`t Mess With Bill"
    Kim Weston: "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)
    Four Tops: "Something About You"
    Velvelettes: "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"
    "Needle In A Haystack"
    Martha & the Vandellas: "My Baby Loves Me"
    "I`m Ready For Love"
    "Jimmy Mack"
    Hopefully somebody can add to this list.The only Supremes film is on the "Supremes Tribute" on which they are only interviewed and the music left to the Marvelettes and Johnny Tillotson.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    These are the "Swingin` Time" video clips that have been released:
    Temptations: "My Girl"
    "Get Ready"
    "My Baby"
    "Don`t Look Back"
    "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep"
    "(I Know) I`m Losing You"
    Miracles: "The Tracks Of My Tears"
    "Going To A` Go-Go"
    "My Girl Has Gone"
    Marvin Gaye: "Pretty Little Baby"
    "Ain`t That Peculiar"
    Elgins: "Put Yourself In My Place"
    "Heaven Must Have Sent You"
    Stevie Wonder: "Uptight (Everything`s Alright)"
    "Blowing In The Wind"
    Marvelettes: "Please Mr. Postman"
    "Don`t Mess With Bill"
    Kim Weston: "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)
    Four Tops: "Something About You"
    Velvelettes: "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"
    "Needle In A Haystack"
    Martha & the Vandellas: "My Baby Loves Me"
    "I`m Ready For Love"
    "Jimmy Mack"
    Hopefully somebody can add to this list.The only Supremes film is on the "Supremes Tribute" on which they are only interviewed and the music left to the Marvelettes and Johnny Tillotson.
    Roger, there was also the "Teen Town" Motown Special hosted by Robin Seymour and featured Berry Gordy, Barney Ales, Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, Marvelettes, The Supremes (guest appearance on Bill Kennedy's Show and recording at Hitsville), and others.

  17. #17
    Thanks Marv. I was only mentioning the actual "Swingin` Time" clips.The "Teen Town Motown Special" is very good and should have a place in everybody`s collection.Can you give any other titles that are available that I haven`t mentioned?

  18. #18
    Flo appeared in others Tv Shows?

  19. #19
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  21.1 KB
    That show must have featured her singing "Love Ain't Love", which was released on ABC, and produced by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman. That was out in 1968.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thanks Marv. I was only mentioning the actual "Swingin` Time" clips.The "Teen Town Motown Special" is very good and should have a place in everybody`s collection.Can you give any other titles that are available that I haven`t mentioned?
    Roger let me think about and get back to you.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  21.1 KB
    That show must have featured her singing "Love Ain't Love", which was released on ABC, and produced by ex-Motowner, Robert Bateman. That was out in 1968.
    Robb, you may be right. Florence's "Love Ain't Love" charted on different stations regionally. I made the top 30 on WKLR Toledo.

  22. #22
    Someone saw this episode of Swingin' Time?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, you may be right. Florence's "Love Ain't Love" charted on different stations regionally. I made the top 30 on WKLR Toledo.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember it being played on WVON.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-24-2015 at 11:10 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Someone saw this episode of Swingin' Time?

    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1190680673

    Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
    6-Zenith
    Username: motown_fan

    Post Number: 1527
    Registered: 9-2006

    Posted From: 74.226.96.216
    Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:01 am: �� ���

    Florence Ballard performed "It Doesn't Matter..." and "Goin' Out Of My Head" on Swinging Time in 1967.

    She was pregnant with her twins and wore a black and white tiered outfit with one white boot and one black boot.

    She didn't perform until the end of the show.

    It was the first time I ventured over to windsor to dance on the show.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 01-24-2015 at 11:26 PM.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember it being played on WVON.
    I still have the 45 single.

  26. #26
    http://www.mcrfb.com/?cat=81

    See October 9th, 2012 entry,

  27. #27

  28. #28
    Here is the weekly survey for radio station WKLR FM 99.9 Toledo, Ohio. I listened to the station all the time as a kid. Florence Ballard is sitting at #18 and their chart the week of June 3, 1968:

  29. #29
    Very little is reported on Florence's solo career other than the fact that it plundered. It's great to see more information come to light about her performances and how her records stacked up nationally versus regionally. Now if we could only get some footage or audio, that would be icing on the cake...

    Speaking of Flo's music, there was a website a while back (at LEAST ten years ago) that advertised bootleg copies of alternative, unreleased recordings of Florence's solo tracks. I have tried contacting the site owner to no avail to try to access these recordings, but the website and e-mail address are, assumedly, no defunct. However, over the years, some of these recordings have surfaced on YouTube. Here are a couple:


  30. #30
    Unfortunately, it has been taken down, but an alternative version of "My Heart" exists, as I have it. Hopefully, more of this material will surface...

  31. #31
    Not a lot of footage left of Florence.

    Penny

  32. #32
    Flo have any unreleased song?

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1190680673

    Motown_Fan (motown_fan)
    6-Zenith
    Username: motown_fan

    Post Number: 1527
    Registered: 9-2006

    Posted From: 74.226.96.216
    Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:01 am: �� ���

    Florence Ballard performed "It Doesn't Matter..." and "Goin' Out Of My Head" on Swinging Time in 1967.

    She was pregnant with her twins and wore a black and white tiered outfit with one white boot and one black boot.

    She didn't perform until the end of the show.

    It was the first time I ventured over to windsor to dance on the show.
    Carole....you got a memory I am envious of! That was Kamasu's dad who wrote that.

  34. #34
    I guess that we'll never see this performance... Sad

  35. #35
    Thanks for posting the link for It Doesn't Matter How I Say It. I enjoyed.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 01-26-2015 at 11:55 AM.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is the weekly survey for radio station WKLR FM 99.9 Toledo, Ohio. I listened to the station all the time as a kid. Florence Ballard is sitting at #18 and their chart the week of June 3, 1968:
    Marv2, this is very nice to see. It is nice to see that Ms. Ballard charted at least locally. There are so many people who relegate her to "nothing more than" a "background singer". Anything that helps counter this myth is great for my eyes to see. Her talents were so unappreciated.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is the weekly survey for radio station WKLR FM 99.9 Toledo, Ohio. I listened to the station all the time as a kid. Florence Ballard is sitting at #18 and their chart the week of June 3, 1968:
    Thanks Marv! Nice to see Flo on the local chart. Not too shabby; so nice to hear something positive about her post Supreme life.

    Thanks

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Marv2, this is very nice to see. It is nice to see that Ms. Ballard charted at least locally. There are so many people who relegate her to "nothing more than" a "background singer". Anything that helps counter this myth is great for my eyes to see. Her talents were so unappreciated.
    You are most welcome thanxal. Florence was a great singer. Everyone from Motown has always said that. I agree.

  39. #39
    I agree, great singer and beautiful too... She's SUPREME!

  40. #40
    "Swingin' Time" was such a big thing in Detroit. Although broadcast from Windsor, Ontario, it was actually just across the Detroit River (Windsor is actually South of Detroit which seems weird). I skipped school once to go on the show with some friends. There were lots of regular dancers like on American Bandstand, kids who went every day. The live act the day I was on was The Parliaments! And later I became a huge Parliament Funkadelic fan, so I never forgot that.

  41. #41
    Dick Clark here gives somewhat of an explanation of why some great music performances are lost forever......


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.