[REMOVE ADS]

Seattle Soul....a documentary

I found this fasinating. Broadcast the other day on Seattle's KCTS, it's a history of Seattle's R&B music scene. It's worth a view.....

http://video.kcts9.org/video/1649251888

I found the input by Kenny G to be very interesting. He was a part of one of the hot funk-ish bands in Seattle in the early 70's.

What a great documentary ........ well researched & well shot.
    It a real piece of social history, makes you wish you had been there .......
    Attachment 1923

Attachment 1924
    The compilation LP [[& CD) that features the music / groups
    showcased in the documentary ....

Grrrrreatt stuff.

I swear every city has a story. Some [[Detroit, NYC, Chicago for example) are better reported than others. I commend the folks for putting this documentary together, and hope that someone in some other underrepresented area has the gumption to do the same thing for their town.

I was listening to the classic Buddy Miles Live last Friday night [[from about '72). Noticed that Buddy mentioned that he was in Seattle and that he spoke highly of it.

This was very educational and I enjoyed it. I never knew much about Seattle at all. I have a childhood friend that moved there years ago. Thanks Doug

very cool thanks so much for posting this! pretty cool to see the Soul scene from the place I live the Pacific Northwest!

Glad I clicked on this thread. Great find Doug, thanks.

...and my gurl Bern [[Bernadette Bascom/Robie Hill Band) still has her chops.

yeaaaah Bern

BernadetteBascom.com

Great stuff! I'm 31 minutes into it, only 90 plus minutes to go. Fascinating and really great music I hadn't heard before. That "Wheedle's Groove" album has been staring me in the face for about a year now, I better pick it up.

Growing up in rural Northwest and rarely visiting Seattle until my 20's, I didn't know this great soul scene existed. Boy, some really good sounds there. I know in the sticks where I grew up, I was probably the only guy in my 800-student high school listening to soul and funk. My friends [[except my best friend) looked at me like I was nuts, while they played bad metal they've long since abandoned.

I love reading other SDF members from Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Atlanta, NYC, the south, midwest, SoCal, etc., talk about their experiences growing up, going to these unreal Motown concerts, seeing the legends in their prime. I live vicariously through you!

That said, it's nice to see what I've always thought as a "souless" Northwest to actually have some soul!

Well, I'll be picking up "Wheedle's Groove" this week!

Tsull.....
    .....I may have asked before, but where in the "Rural Northwest"? Have you picked up Peter Blecha's "Sonic Boom", a history of Northwest Rock? It goes into the Jackson Street scene fairly extensively.

I now live in Boise, and have lived in Oregon and eastern Washington, as well as north Idaho. I've moved a lot, but never out of the Northwest ... which is a problem soul-music wise for concerts and even collecting albums.