[REMOVE ADS]

Exclamation Diana Ross and The Supremes on Bing Crosby Special in 1968

Name:  10920944_844464268925801_6647953369983692773_n.jpg
Views: 5666
Size:  28.0 KB

Well... I find this on: ~Reflections: The Supremes Legacy~ page on Facebook, and i have two questions: What they are singing? and Where's The footage?

I'd have to find my copy. I'll look for it this weekend.

Oh God! You have it?! Thank's God, one more rarity! And Thank's again Johnny for The Arrid Extra Dry Deoderant Commercial from 1967!
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 01-09-2015 at 12:46 AM.

supremester Guest
    I have it also, but I'm too embarrrrasssed to admit I don't know how to download onto Youtube. This was The Bing Crosby Special shot in the summer of 1968.
    They sing part of "Making Movies" in the opening, a cowboy/westeen number "Do Not Foresake Me" A Medley from Paint Your Wagon with Bing, Diana trades overdubbed quips with Bing & Bob Hope and DR&TS join Bing & Jose Feliciano for a killer medley of current pop songs - HIGHLIGHT: Diana Ross claiming "This Girl's In Love With You" as her own - wowza!

Last edited by supremester; 01-09-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I have it also, but I'm too embarrrrasssed to admit I don't know how to download onto Youtube. This was The Bing Crosby Special shot in the summer of 1968.
    They sing part of "Making Movies" in the opening, a cowboy/westeen number "Do Not Foresake Me" A Medley from Paint Your Wagon with Bing, Diana trades overdubbed quips with Bing & Bob Hope and DR&TS join Bing & Jose Feliciano for a killer medley of current pop songs - HIGHLIGHT: Diana Ross claiming "This Girl's In Love With You" as her own - wowza!

I love the Soundstage medley. The PAINT YOUR WAGONS medley is nice as well, with some nice harmonies from the girls.
    Last edited by reese; 01-09-2015 at 10:28 AM.

I have seen several clips from youtube of the Bing Crosby special in which they do the "Making Movies" segment.

Regarding the photo in the initial posting of Mary, Diana, and Cindy: Unless I dreamed this many years ago, I remember there was a line in one of the segments in which Diana sang the following lyrics: "Making million dollar hits is nothing at all. Until you're making movies, you're not living at all." In the aforementioned clips I've seen on youtube [[and especially in the segment "Making Movies"), I don't see or hear that line at all. What's up with that?

Is it likely that the lyrics and scene I mentioned in the previous paragraph might correspond with the picture of the Supremes in the gowns? Maybe this scene was placed at the beginning of the "Making Movies" segment jumping immediately to the girls in the cowgirl outfits?
    Last edited by jobucats; 01-09-2015 at 12:59 PM.

I guess not, because YouTube has the performance of the Supremes in cowgirl outfits, and doesn't show any footage like this of the photo

<span style="font-family: comic sans ms">
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 01-09-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I have seen several clips from youtube of the Bing Crosby special in which they do the "Making Movies" segment.

Regarding the photo in the initial posting of Mary, Diana, and Cindy: Unless I dreamed this many years ago, I remember there was a line in one of the segments in which Diana sang the following lyrics: "Making million dollar hits is nothing at all. Until you're making movies, you're not living at all." In the aforementioned clips I've seen on youtube [[and especially in the segment "Making Movies"), I don't see or hear that line at all. What's up with that?

Is it likely that the lyrics and scene I mentioned in the previous paragraph might correspond with the picture of the Supremes in the gowns? Maybe this scene was placed at the beginning of the "Making Movies" segment jumping immediately to the girls in the cowgirl outfits?
    I don't remember the lyrics, but the MAKING MOVIES number happens at the beginning of the show, with all of the guests singing a bit. But the Supremes' segment is really brief. They walk down some steps, sing a few lines, and then disappear. The cowgirl-outfit segment appears later in the program.

I saw the show a few months back at the Museum of TV in NYC.

supremester Guest
    "To sell a million records and make all that green
    Is not a big mistake if you know what we mean.
    But baby, face the fact: you haven't made 'the scene'
    Till you're Makin' Movies!"

That's it? I really thought it was a full performance of at least 2 minutes

"To sell a million records and make all that green
    Is not a big mistake if you know what we mean.
    But baby, face the fact: you haven't made 'the scene'
    Till you're Makin' Movies!"
    Thanks for those lyrics from the opening segment. And to think that all of these years since 1968, I've been thinking it was:

"Making movies, Making movies.
    You're not living til you're making movies.
    Making million dollar hits is nothing at all;
    Until you're making movies, you ain't living at all."

Now, I can mark this off my bucket list as to correcting a mistake I've lived with all these years. A similar thing happened last year when I finally learned the name of a song that had been in my head since the early 70s.

Thanks again

supremester Guest
    I'll upload it ASAP. I learned the lyrics at The Museum of Broadcasting during my yearly fall trek. LOL - I know what it's like to not know a lyric. I STILL don't know the line in Somethings you never get used to "Sometimes I think my heartaches______________ and then something brings them all back again." "come to an end?" "will finally end?" "Will make me bend?"

Sometimes i think my heartaches come to an end...

supremester Guest
    can you akshullie hear her say those words???????

Once I knew what those words were in SYNGUT I could hear them OK but not before then...

I'll upload it ASAP. I learned the lyrics at The Museum of Broadcasting during my yearly fall trek. LOL - I know what it's like to not know a lyric. I STILL don't know the line in Somethings you never get used to "Sometimes I think my heartaches______________ and then something brings them all back again." "come to an end?" "will finally end?" "Will make me bend?"
    I may be completely off base, but I've always thought the line was, "Sometimes I think my heartache's concluded, then something brings..."

That's what my pre-teen aged ears heard...

supremester Guest
    Concluded was another possibility I heard, but what I REALLY heard was "conjoind-ed" but, since that's an unlikely A&S lyric, I agree to "come/came to an end" and not the frolickey "will make me bend"

The question remains: do you think it would have hit if the hook line in chorus was understandable? LOL seriously, how could they release it that way? I think it could have jumped another 5-9 points

It is quite unusual to hear Diana singing with less than crystal clarity, but this is one instance where one or two of the lyrics are open to different interpretations.

For myself, I've always received it to be "sometimes I think my heartache's gone surely", even though, for it to make complete sense, it should then follow "but something brings it all back again"...but Diana sings "them all back again".

Just one of the reasons why all the parts of a track can be good in isolation but, when combined, the whole effect still doesn't quite hit the mark.....

supremester Guest
    "gone surely" - is another one lol... maybe it's "would surely end"

You're right: it's very rare that Diana isn't crystal clear and shame on A&S and QC to send it out like that. I like it a lot better now, but back in the day, I surely did not hear a hit. the bass line is great, Ross' vocal is great, the mix - especially on the opening verse is terrible - by the time they are done with the first chorus, no one would possibly know what the song is about. Thank whoever Love Child was only 5 months away.

Some things you never get used to, is one of my favorites songs from The Supremes, that's a shame that this song don't reached the number one...

Here's my take on "Some Things You Never Get Used To":

PROS: Musically, it's a rather complex song with the intricate chord changes and the syncopated play between the vocals and the instrumentals. I especially like the stereo mix on the 2000 Box set which reminds me of the same mixing/mastering/production that was done for "Loving You is Better Than Ever" [[a Smokey Song on the "Cream of the Crop") album. The instrumental break in the middle is so Motownish to me with the driving beat and the tambourine. The phrasing and styling of the lead vocal sounds like it could have been a challenging song to get from beginning to end without collapsing, but Diana did it so well.

CONS: It sounds more like a production masterpiece than just a hit song...too many bells and whistles. The song is so frantic sounding and one can only question at the end, "What was that?" In a way it reminds me of one of my favorite 4 Tops masterpieces "Bernadette." Now that's a frantic sounding song also, but HDH did allow many opportunities to come down and "relax" with the Andantes' "Ahs......." interspersed throughout the song. The only time we can relax from the vocals in "Some Things You Never Get Used To" is the instrumental break, and even that keeps the heart rate going.

All in all, I love this first single outing of the new Diana Ross and the Supremes, and I remember hearing it for the first time on Dick Clark's Bandstand.

supremester Guest
    Wow - one of my all time fave posts here, jobucats! I agree wholeheartedly - I suspect BG had A&S do their best to make HDH think they made a mistake - and in many ways, it is, as you say, a great production - it just isn't hit material. Partly because of the melody line in the verse - there's not a lot to work with [[like Nothing But Heartaches) and THAT gets lost in the mix. I agree with your read on her Herculean vocal - much like Time And Love - if you actually pay close attention to the work she's doing, it's exhausting just listening to it. I think with a more commercial song, A&S could have easily given HDH cause for concern as the production is first rate. More than Bernadette, I liken this frantic pace to that of No Matter What Sign You Are - a killer production that never gave it's audience a chance to jump on for the ride. A great test would have been putting the full bore production of Going Down For The Third Time out as a single. That is a very busy, but killer track. As much as I love it, I've often wondered if it was too busy for radio.

What was your first impression of Some Things when you heard it on Bandstand? Was it rated or just played?

Wow - one of my all time fave posts here, jobucats! I agree wholeheartedly - I suspect BG had A&S do their best to make HDH think they made a mistake - and in many ways, it is, as you say, a great production - it just isn't hit material. Partly because of the melody line in the verse - there's not a lot to work with [[like Nothing But Heartaches) and THAT gets lost in the mix. I agree with your read on her Herculean vocal - much like Time And Love - if you actually pay close attention to the work she's doing, it's exhausting just listening to it. I think with a more commercial song, A&S could have easily given HDH cause for concern as the production is first rate. More than Bernadette, I liken this frantic pace to that of No Matter What Sign You Are - a killer production that never gave it's audience a chance to jump on for the ride. A great test would have been putting the full bore production of Going Down For The Third Time out as a single. That is a very busy, but killer track. As much as I love it, I've often wondered if it was too busy for radio.

What was your first impression of Some Things when you heard it on Bandstand? Was it rated or just played?
    If I recall, when I first heard Some Things on Bandstand, it was introduced as the 2 kids were unscrambling something on the board. My impressions: of course, I was excited, because it was a fresh new sound by the Supremes, but it seemed to have gone by so quickly [[and frantically), I said to myself, "What was that?" I like the song a lot for the reasons I've mentioned.

Now for "Going Down for the Third Time": Another one of my favorites.
    PROS: Catchy, catchy, lyrics. The instrumental music matched the melody very well. Nice dance song.

CONS: Although the instrumental is tight, it sounds a little "West Coast" to me. It's not quite gritty [[I am bad with adjectives) and "in your face" as a typical Motown single would be. I've read that a lot of the Motown songs on the previous album, A Go Go, had their instrumentals recorded on the West Coast [[i.e. Shake Me, Wake Me, and Baby I Need Your Loving), and Going Down has that same type of production sound to me: good but not really "in the pocket." If the instrumental was recorded again [[or mixed differently to make it more gritty) and if some of the "Save Me's" [[particularly the low pitched ones...save me, save me) were taken out of the mix and kept like the mono version, I believe it could be released as a hit. Diana's interpretation [[she was gritty) was ideal for the song.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I'd have to find my copy. I'll look for it this weekend.
    So... You find it?