[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin singing Jimmy Webb's "Mixed Up Girl"

"During the summer of 1971, on a long forgotten music variety television program, Aretha Franklin sat down at the piano and performed a stunning cover of a current pop record, "Mixed Up Guy," sung by Joey Scarbury, who had performed the song on "American Bandstand," changing the title to "Mixed Up Girl." After reading the current new bio of Aretha, by David Ritz, "Respect" I can now better understand why the lyrics to that song may have appealed to her. She did record a live, rather rushed version of the song during her three night gig at the Fillmore West, "Don't Fight The Feeling: The Complete Fillmore West Sessions," CD boxset Rhino released some years back. I would be thrilled to see the footage of her more deeper interpretation of this remarkable song from that television appearance. Wow, what a history this Jimmy Webb song has. Thelma Houston, Nancy Wilson and Dusty Springfield all recorded this song, and every version of this song is a winner. Even Jimmy Webb recorded his own version on a 1977 album. Maybe someone on this site may remember the name of the program Aretha sang this song and hopefully somewhere a tape exists.

http://youtu.be/6hfCHhz2_rM
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 01-08-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Yes, it's a treasure on "Don't Fight ..." - thanks for posting!

I vaguely recall reading that Aretha performed MIXED-UP GIRL on the Flip Wilson show.

Reese, that might just be the show I caught! I know it was during the summer of 1970, as I was staying in a little town outside Edmonton, Alberta, having obtained a summer job mowing grass in the local cemetery. A girl I befreinded invited me to her home for supper and to watch television. Her dad, bless his heart, asked me if he could "make himself more comfortable" and removed his prosthetic leg. I was taken aback, but went with the flow. An all 'round memorable evening for me for sure! Thanks SO much for this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Reese, that might just be the show I caught! I know it was during the summer of 1970, as I was staying in a little town outside Edmonton, Alberta, having obtained a summer job mowing grass in the local cemetery. A girl I befreinded invited me to her home for supper and to watch television. Her dad, bless his heart, asked me if he could "make himself more comfortable" and removed his prosthetic leg. I was taken aback, but went with the flow. An all 'round memorable evening for me for sure! Thanks SO much for this information.
    Mark! hehehehehehehehe.........!