[REMOVE ADS]

Question The Supremes - Using the wrong gown

Mary is using Diana's gown!!

i agree - always thought is looked odd in this and some of the publicity pics at this time for Mary to be in the green on. they say that it was due to Jean not fitting in Diana's outfits. yet later in this special they wore the orange and yellow pantsuits from their final Hollywood Palace appearance. jean wear that without any issues

also it wouldn't have been that much effort to either 1) have a 3rd blue fireworks pantsuit made or 2) have a 3rd set made in a 3rd color.

At least in the publicity pics, Mary is usually in the middle so it kinda works.

I saw this performance, so I never understood for why reason Jean didn't use the green gown...

maybe those were Diana's "big girl" slacks lol so they were roomier

i guess the fireworks pantsuits were too hard to alter although given it's a poncho and pants, i can't see how that's the case.

This outfit and the dresses from the mar 69 Hollywood palace [[opening number) were the ones I saw jean wearing Diana's. I'm guessing a few of them could be altered but most couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    This outfit and the dresses from the mar 69 Hollywood palace [[opening number) were the ones I saw jean wearing Diana's. I'm guessing a few of them could be altered but most couldn't.
    I think the gold is Diana's big girl pants because if you check out some of the pics of Diana in the pants suit the gold one is a bit baggy on Diana

I think for the orange/red pantsuits worn at the end of the Smokey show, Jean was several sizes wider and taller than Ross so obviously an orange gown for Jean had to be constructed. For the other gowns, Mary usually got Ross's.

The Fireworks gowns should have been retired and entered in the museum as one of the last gowns worn at the Frontier hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The Fireworks gowns should have been retired and entered in the museum as one of the last gowns worn at the Frontier hotel.
    i disagree those gowns wernt even a year old when jean joined. i will say the gowns they gotten before TCB sould've been retired

These gowns are at Mary Wilson's exhibition?

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    These gowns are at Mary Wilson's exhibition?
    the orange/red pantsuits are on display. as for the firecracker, they could be one of the ones destroyed in that 1974 fire

supremester Guest
    I think all the gowns should have been retired. Had Motown not been SO greedy with artist's money, JMC could EASILY have afforded 6 new sets to start with and 2-3 more per year. It would have given the girls an even better fresh start as a new group - which it was.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think all the gowns should have been retired. Had Motown not been SO greedy with artist's money, JMC could EASILY have afforded 6 new sets to start with and 2-3 more per year. It would have given the girls an even better fresh start as a new group - which it was.
    if you think about it they did get 5-6 new outfits that first year [[even thout most were painsuits) lol.