[REMOVE ADS]

"Back in My Arms Again" and "Nothing But Heartaches": DRATS

I'm curious: did the DRATS [[with Cindy) ever perform "BIMAA" or "NBH"?

I can see how "BIMAA" might have been 'retired' as it mentions "Flo" [[could it have been performed with "How can Cindy tell me what to do?"), but I've never heard that "NBH" was ever performed again, after Flo left.

supremester Guest
    In jan '67 both were out. I'm guessing Heartaches didn't last a full year but by 1/67 they had more hits than they could fit into their show, so I think BIMA, sadly was eschewed as well. I really missed it. By Aug '69, all three of my faves [[Back, Symphony, Hurry) were all out.

Actually, Back In My Arms Again, stayed until Flo left. It would alternate with You Keep Me Hangin' On as the song they would play as the "mistake" song after Gil's introduction. I saw them do it with Flo in April of 67. They did it with Cindy at the Hollywood Bowl [[before Flo was officially out). During the "names" verse. Diana sang the Mary line and then sang "And oh, she don't know, cause the boy she loves is a Romeo."

supremester Guest
    Excellent, Thank you, George! What else did they do a The Bowl? Did you know Flo was gone?

I don't recall the New Supremes singing it in concert, but Mary has sung it. When it comes to the Mary part, she says "That's me !"

And Diana Sherrie and Lynda sang it in RTL. The line there was changed to:

How can my friends tell me what to do, when they lost their love so true? And, no, they don't know that the boy they loved was a Romeo

starts at 7:39

That was great...thanks so much

Hollywood Bowl show: You Keep Me Hangin' On, Hits Medley [[Stop!, Come See, My World, Baby Love), Michelle, More, [[Gil Intro) Back In My Arms Again, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone, Yesterday, You Can't Hurry Love [[Symphony exit music) The Happening, The Happening Reprise, Somewhere, I Hear A Symphony [[Symphony exit music) Sam Cooke Medley [[Symphony exit music)

Thanks Mr. George! xo

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Hollywood Bowl show: You Keep Me Hangin' On, Hits Medley [[Stop!, Come See, My World, Baby Love), Michelle, More, [[Gil Intro) Back In My Arms Again, Love Is Here And Now You're Gone, Yesterday, You Can't Hurry Love [[Symphony exit music) The Happening, The Happening Reprise, Somewhere, I Hear A Symphony [[Symphony exit music) Sam Cooke Medley [[Symphony exit music)
    George - Do you know if this show was recorded in any way? Video or audio? And didn't Brenda Holloway open for the Supreme's during this date? Do you know what songs she performed and if it were taped or not?

supremester Guest
    George, you are amazing. I've waited decades for this set list.
    Thank you and Happy new Year!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxo

The show was broadcast live on the radio in LA [[khj). Yes, Brenda Holloway opened the show but I don't know her set list. Sorry... And very happy new year to everyone!

Although I wasn't present at the Hollywood Bowl concert, I do know that Brenda was on the bill and definitely sang her latest release at the time "Just Look What You've Done" and I would believe she included "When I'm Gone" and "Every Little Bit Hurts." These two songs are just a guess.
    Last edited by MotownLover; 12-31-2014 at 04:48 PM.

smark21 Guest
    On her Live at the Sands DVD, which was filmed in the mid 90s, Mary performed Back in My Arms Again and she used the names of two of her backpart singers, Iris and Parnell, in place of Mary and Flo for the song.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    George - Do you know if this show was recorded in any way? Video or audio? And didn't Brenda Holloway open for the Supreme's during this date? Do you know what songs she performed and if it were taped or not?
    Ross, Brenda performed "Happy Together", "Sunny", "Just Look What You`ve Done and "Every Little Bit Hurts". I have a note which says no film.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Ross, Brenda performed "Happy Together", "Sunny", "Just Look What You`ve Done and "Every Little Bit Hurts". I have a note which says no film.
    Thanks for the info! I wonder if the audio still exists for the concert

Interesting that "Back In My Arms Again" was kept in till Flo left, from the way they rushed through it in the Orient and the Roostertail it sounded like the song was well on it's way out of the setlist. I'm assuming that "Nothing But Heartaches" was gone from the show by 1966. I wonder when they started doing that "Hits Medley" that I hate so much.

they started the medley of Stop, Come See, My World and Baby Love in 67. not sure if it was in the Copa 67 show yet or not. but i believe in the Symphony Expanded set the liner notes mention that many of the early songs disappear shortly after the Roostertail. full-length versions of Baby love, Come, My World end and are put into the medley so that they can make way for full-length versions of newer hits - Happening, Love Is Here, You Keep Me Hanging, Reflections, In and Out of Love, Love Child, etc.

I'm guessing Gil and Berry were looking at song count. in a show like the Roostertail, Copa or Talk of the Town, they were looking at 15 - 20 songs, although depending on the lengths of the medleys that could be more like 16 or 17. in the Roostertail set, there are 7 or so hits, so not quite half of the songs. they probably wanted to keep it around there and if you look at Talk of the Town, there's the medley, You Keep Me, Love is Here, Happening, Reflections and In and out. so it's about the same %

other songs that disappear are Make Someone Happy, Sam Cooke medley, People. yesterday and michelle get truncated too, into their own medley.

by the time they were doing their 68 shows, the act was focused on several key medleys to anchor the show - the Symphony medley, hits medley, Beatles medley and the "girls" medley. so you have them doing broadway medley, 2 pop medleys and an MOR medley. they pepper in a few stand-alone hits, a few ballads and show tunes, Queen of the house for comedy and you're got yourself a show

smark21 Guest
    Ugh! Medleys, they're so cheesy.

Not the best quality but here's a link to the complete Hollywood Bowl show of Cindy's debut...

http://pastdaily.com/2012/07/22/buff...op-chronicles/

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Not the best quality but here's a link to the complete Hollywood Bowl show of Cindy's debut...

Incredible! Thanks for posting this, I'm listening as I'm typing this!!

Thanks for the link. I will have to listen later. I think this deserves it's own thread.

RossHolloway Guest
    Brenda give a great performance of Every Little Bit Hurts. The Supreme's sound great, the show is actually less frantic and a bit slowed down then most of their live performances. Great listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post

this is great. i can actually hear cindy sing. and mary is great. and Diana is always on top of her game

great links!!

also this was april 67 and the Hits medley was already in place. so some time between Sept 66 and April 67 they dropped those early hits as stand-alone songs and made the medley

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    this is great. i can actually hear cindy sing. and mary is great. and Diana is always on top of her game
    If anyone ever doubted why Cindy Birdsong was chosen as Florence replacement just need to list to her debut as a Supreme. Cindy did a terrific job. Great show Diana, Mary and Cindy, The Supremes
    See if you can catch Diana about to say Florence when they sing Shake from the Sam Cook Medley.

Thanks for posting the links! I have to say that imo the only Motown acts that were really great live were the Temps and Gladys Knight and the Pips. Brenda is not really giving it Imo! The others were just okay. The Jackson 5 were great later on. The Supremes gave you glamour and chic shimmies but they NEVER really got down!. After hearing the Supremes live many times, I have to say now I understand why the medleys were rushed later on and arrangements were changed. I like hearing Cindy at lot but.....Flo had her stamp on those songs especially when it comes to the Sam Cooke Medley. Just listen to the Copa or the 66 Roostertail Cooke Medley to understand what I'm talking about. In Cindy's defense I do understand that she was nervous whereas Florence had been there and was not afraid to ad lib,Cindy was not about to do any extras. It seems instead of trying to duplicate what once was, Motown just said forget it! Let's UP the glamour a notch and turn down the mics, the rest is history!
    Last edited by soulballad; 01-01-2015 at 06:25 PM.