[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin/Later Atlantic Albums

So, supposedly the albums With Everything I Feel in Me,You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire, and La Diva, have been issued on cd somewhere in Europe, of course I can not seem to find any copies and was wondering if anyone had purchased the cd's and would be willing to send me mp3 copies?

I don't have them, but they are listed quite frequently on eBay.

... nor have I, but I want them! Thanks for the eBay tip. Several years ago, at the time "A Woman Falling..." was released, Roger Freidman wrote that Ms. Franklin would be releasing these albums on her "Aretha's Records" label - alas ...

Yeah, I've been waiting for these later Atlantic albums as they were to have bonus unreleased tracks. Hopefully in the new year!

Yes, this article from 2012 sounded like their release was imminent...

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/06/...st-time-on-cd/

Not surprised that the releases haven't happened as Aretha often announces projects that never pan out. I keep putting off ordering the imports that I see on eBay in hopes that an Aretha's Records release occurs, but I might break down and get them.

I'm not sure if the imports are made from the original masters though. Aretha owns them. So I don't see why she would license them for imports, but not domestically. Plus some of the bonus tracks on the LA DIVA import are from her Arista period. It makes me think they may be made from vinyl.

The versions I saw recently on eBay were from Estonia ... Most likely "grey market" at best. I'll pass on them. I don't like supporting grey market releases so I'll wait for official reissues. If they never appear, so be it. There are always more than enough official reissues - more than I can afford!
    Last edited by RobertZ; 01-02-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not surprised that the releases haven't happened as Aretha often announces projects that never pan out. I
    Yes -- similar to when she talked about "Aretha A Woman Falling Out Of Love" for years and years including duets with Faith Hill, and others... When the album was released it was nothing like had been discussed previously!

Has anyone emailed Harry Weinger to ask about them? Aretha had cut a deal to issue them via Universal. Those ebay listings are all needle drop bootlegs. No official release anywhere.

[QUOTE=Glenpwood;265438]Has anyone emailed Harry Weinger to ask about them? Aretha had cut a deal to issue them via Universal. Those ebay listings are all needle drop bootlegs. No official release anywhere.[/QUOTEi

It is my understanding that Atlantic gave Aretha control of the masters of the last 3-4 titles. At one point, I know for a fact that Aretha tried to get them released independently...but, there were no takers.
    i was moments away from purchasing them on eBay, when David Nathan, a personal acquaintance [[and the writer of the liner notes for "Sings the Diva Classics") stated unequivocally that those Estonia releases are CD-R/burns. In fact, the seller is honest about the fact that they are indeed CD-R/burns. [[Refreshing honesty on eBay).

On that note, does anyone know if there is any updated news on "statue of limitation rights on masters"??? It is so unfair that labels can still have lifetime rights to an artist's works. 20-25 yrs should be more than enough time for a label to recoupe before an artist/artists' estate regains rights to masters. Unfortunately, most artists don't have the legal funding to fight in courts.
    While I understand a label may invest hundreds of thousands of dollars that haven't been recouped, 20-25 yrs. seems more than fair. [[Forgetting the hundreds of thousands of dollars a label may gain from licensing in film/television...that artist/artist estates may be innocently unaware of).
    As streaming rapidly takes hold, the .03/.04 cent royalty rate is even more of an insult to artist.
    But the entertainment industry practices continues to gain fewer and fewer fans, the bemoaning from labels on subscription royalties seem like deserved payback....if the artist would not again have to come out on the shorter end of the stick.

Sounds like a job for Funkytown Grooves or Big Beat.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Sounds like a job for Funkytown Grooves or Big Beat.
    Not a bad idea, but, no doubt contingent on what kind of royalty advance she is looking for. I personally have never heard of any additional bonus material.

The current, "Respect" biography by David Ritz is one fascinating read. The references to those recordings are equally intriguing. [[Example: Curtis Mayfield reluctantly agreed to include the one self-penned cut when Aretha hoped to duplicate the success of "Sparkle"...alas, to no avail).