[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Diana Ross and The Supremes with The Temptations on G.I.T on Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Thanks so much for posting; now I know what I'll be watching on Christmas Eve!

That's amazing. I've never seen this before - I don't think it was shown on our television channels in 1969 / 1970, and of course the LP wasn't even issued for us.

To see the whole programme is quite astonishing - and the quality is excellent.

Many thanks for finding and posting this - better be quick before some major organisation pulls it from you tube.

Yes, thanks for posting this. In retrospect, they should have least did a hits section and perform "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "I'll Try Something New" and possibly "The Weight" so that the younger fans had something to relate to.

it was the 60's,network television didn't work that way back then, they wanted he grown ups..
    the kids were already buying the records

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    it was the 60's,network television didn't work that way back then, they wanted he grown ups..
    the kids were already buying the records
    Understood. I just think "G.I.T." would have been even more successful with a mix of Broadway with the hits from "Join" and "Together". The day after "T.C.B." aired, it was the most talked about event on my school campus. It was the "Motown 25" of its era. We even tried to copy the clothing styles. "G.I.T." didn't have quite the same buzz. I have a bootleg DVD but haven't watched it nearly as much as I watch "T.C.B.". So it will be interesting to watch it again this weekend. I confess to just having watched the edited version of "T.C.B." on YouTube a few days ago.
    If PBS aired those specials in February [[Black History Month) or in June [[Black Music Month), I am convinced they would have similar success like they did with "Central Park" and currently with "Motown 25".

A lot of talent on that stage - shame that Paul Williams is no longer with us.

hindsight is a very different lens to be viewing these, and many other, motown efforts. TCB was about display Diana [[and to a lesser degree the Sups and even lesser degree the Temps) as rags-to-riches success stories. modern, fresh, colorful. a good variety of tunes from Stop to Can't Get Next To You to Do You Know the Way to San Jose to With a Song with my heart.

GIT was more like the 2nd songs the girls would perform on Sullivan. a medley or show tune to display their versatility. at the time, motown was still just pushing into the supper club circuit. the Sups had broken into Copa in 65 and then Vegas in late 66. the Temps followed later as did other motown artists. but without the internet and the endless info age we now live in, it was necessary to drive home the point that motown artists were classy, well versed, all around entertainers. that meant pushing them more and more into the adult market, many of whom might still have been saying in 1969 "The Temptations who???" so GIT was designed to make this MOR people at ease with these performers. frankly it was still very unusual to see 5 black men on your tv screen. Motown's subtle contributions to reinforce the civil rights efforts were hugely important