[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Joe Cocker RIP

Joe Cocker RIP

Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70

Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70.
    The singer song-writer from Sheffield had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.
    His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed that he had died of an undisclosed illness.
    He said he was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts."
    Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.
    He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one.
    His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award.
    He was honoured with an OBE in 2007.
    Joe Cocker's duet with Jennifer Warnes Up Where We Belong won a Grammy and an Oscar
    Last year he broke all his own records in arenas across Europe, with a number one album in Germany and what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.
    Marshall said "he was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain- and remained the same man throughout his life.
    "Hugely talented, a true star, but a kind and humble man who loved to perform. Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him."
    This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

Really sorry to hear. He was definitely soulful

An extraordinary talent.

I was shocked to hear this, he's been one of my favorites since high school. R.I.P. Joe

He certainly knew how to pick excellent backing vocalists, which were so prominent in his records. "Feelin Alright" had Merry Clayton, Brenda Holloway, and Patrice Holloway.... and "With A Little Help From My Friends" had Sunny Leslie, Sue Glover, Rosetta Hightower, and Madeline Bell.

Rest in peace Joe.

Marv

I just learned that Joe Cocker was my neighbor and I didn't even know it. He was a resident of Colorado, but had a house right in my neighborhood near Los Angeles where his daughter also had a house, and would spend a lot of time here with his wife Pam. It was reported that he and his wife would take frequent walks around the neighborhood with Joe wearing a cap and fisherman vest. Probably saw him walking around and would never have imagined it was Joe Cocker lol...Anyways...RIP neighbor...

Joe Cocker won me over way back in 1970 with his version of Cry Me A River. The next year came High Time We Went and I was hooked. Known for tearing up cover songs, no one could do it like him. Another highlight was from 1992 when he did Gary Wright's, Love Is Alive. So many to mention but he was an amazing singer and performer. He'll be missed for sure.

To list my favorite Joe Cocker songs, it would take all night...suffice it to say he was one of my favorite performers. I'm glad I did get to see him play an outdoor venue for free in '91 [[Voinovich Park, behind where the Rock Hall is now), with the Neville Brothers opening, no less! My late friend Dave Nida was working for Capitol Records at the time and he got my brother and me and a few other friends free tickets. I really do treasure seeing him now that he is gone.

Speaking of the Rock Hall, I'm upset that Joe was never bestowed that honor...I for one think he deserved it...don't know why he was never even considered. Maybe someday...

Anyhow, RIP, Joe, and thank you for the great music...

Best,

Mark

R I P Joe,

You helped us to get by with a little help from our friends

edafan