[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I wonder if "Must Be Quite A Show" and/or "Peace Of Mind" were being considered for possible Marvin Gaye- Oma Heard duets?
    Carole - You may be onto something. After some quick research on DFTM, it seems that four duets with Marvin and Oma were produced by Marc Gordon and Hal Davis on June 26, 1964 in California: Was It A Dream, Rilleh!, Steadies and Your Kiss Kiss. And four days prior, on June 22, 1964, Gordon and Davis also did Must Be Quite A Show, Peace of Mind, Touch of Venus and To a Bad Dream with Marvin. I've always thought those duets were highly underrated.

Update .......
    Just heard back from Google, asking me lots of silly questions via email about streaming, speeds etc ....... Obviously the lady I dealt with before hadn't quite grasped the problems I was having with the 3 faulty tracks ......

Google are now preparing a full refund for me and will delete the album from my account ASAP.
    I've purchased downloads before from them but this time was the first time I'd had a problem and it had to be this album :-[[
    Keith Hughes posted over in Soul Source http://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulfor...released-1964/ that he did the quality control on these tracks.
    Does look like a Google problem then .........

Looks like Amazon UK have dropped the price of the album down to £17.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Unrel...nreleased+1964.
    If you bought it when it first went on sale, may be worth contacting Amazon to see if they will partially refund the difference ......

It's great to see so many unreleased Brenda tracks issued in the past fifteen years. I wonder just how many are left? Here is a small list of tracks that are still unreleased in the vaults. Can you add some to this list or correct me if I'm wrong?

Can't Hold Back The Feeling
    Can You Hear Me Calling
    Girl On The Run [[I really love this one)
    Here Are The Pieces Of My Broken Heart
    I'm Giving Up
    I'm On The Outside
    I Can't Make It Alone
    Holding On
    Someday
    Honey Don't Leave Me
    Have A Little Talk With Myself
    All Because Of You
    That's What He Told Me
    I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can
    Sweet Thing
    Baby I'm Yours Because
    Shoe Leather Express
    It Ain't Like That
    A World Without You
    I'm So Glad
    Lonely Room
    The Love Line
    He's The One
    He Doesn't Live Here Anymore
    There Goes My Heart
    Who Invented Heartache
    Reassure Me That You Love Me
    The Lonely Heart & Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me
    I Don't Want Nobody's Gonna Make Me Cry
    I Feel Your Love Growin' On Me
    Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin'
    Anchored In Happiness
    You Got A Little Of Everything
    Keep Me
    Junkyard Of Broken Hearts
    Don't Turn Away
    Yesterdays Love Is Over
    Take A Good Look Over your Shoulder

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    It's great to see so many unreleased Brenda tracks issued in the past fifteen years. I wonder just how many are left? Here is a small list of tracks that are still unreleased in the vaults. Can you add some to this list or correct me if I'm wrong?

Can You Hear Me Calling
    I'm Giving Up
    I'm On The Outside
    I Can't Make It Alone
    Holding On
    Someday
    Honey Don't Leave Me
    All Because Of You
    That's What He Told Me
    Sweet Thing
    Baby I'm Yours Because
    Shoe Leather Express
    It Ain't Like That
    A World Without You
    I'm So Glad
    Lonely Room
    The Love Line
    He's The One
    There Goes My Heart
    Who Invented Heartache
    Anchored In Happiness
    Keep Me
    Don't Turn Away
    Yesterdays Love Is Over
    You know, I was thinking the same thing about all the Brenda releases, more tracks have been released on her in the past 2-3 years than all her releases in the 1960's!

Brother love,
    Very interesting. I am just curious, however. Where have you obtained the information and the names of all of these tracks that have never been released. Very intriguing to me! :-)

This is puzzling. Both Keith Hughes and I have a master ref of exactly what was delivered, and there are no dropouts on these copies. And, when playing the same three "duff" tracks via Spotify U.S., I do not hear any dropouts.

I am discussing these anomalies with our production team as it appears to be something on the stores' end.

Can You Hear Me Calling
    I'm Giving Up
    I'm On The Outside
    I Can't Make It Alone
    Holding On
    Someday
    Honey Don't Leave Me
    All Because Of You
    That's What He Told Me
    Sweet Thing
    Baby I'm Yours Because
    Shoe Leather Express
    It Ain't Like That
    A World Without You
    I'm So Glad
    Lonely Room
    The Love Line
    He's The One
    There Goes My Heart
    Who Invented Heartache
    Anchored In Happiness
    Keep Me
    Don't Turn Away
    Yesterdays Love Is Over
    Very good brother love. The only ones that I can add are "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" , "You`re Gonna Love My Baby" and live at the Hollywood Bowl 1967 "Happy Together", "Sunny" "Look What I Have Done" and "Every Little Bit Hurts"

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Very good brother love. The only ones that I can add are "Take Me In Your Arms [[Rock Me A Little While)" , "You`re Gonna Love My Baby" and live at the Hollywood Bowl 1967 "Happy Together", "Sunny" "Look What I Have Done" and "Every Little Bit Hurts"
    Have you had a chance to hear any of those tracks? Especially the live tracks?

No I haven`t Ross , I have trawled through all the annotations and the 1st two were "assigned" to Brenda and it`s possibly that they don`t exist as to the live tracks I can`t remember where I read this.We can only keep our fingers crossed.

Brother Love when I saw your list it filled me with excitement! I'm amazed at the number of songs that BH recorded while at Motown; Steve Devereux calls her the Queen of Unreleased Motown and rightfully so! I also remember seeing some of these songs listed on a thread on the old Motown BB - "Junkyard Of Broken Hearts" being a standout.

Here are some of the songs from your list that were released:

"A World Without You"; "I Don't Want Nobody's Gonna Make Me Cry" are on the BH Anthology.
    "The Love Line" is on the Artistry Of BH.

Let's hope these songs will surface on future releases!
    Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 12-19-2014 at 07:21 AM.

With so many apparently unreleased tracks still in the vault why don't Universal consider producing a Lost and Found on Brenda. I'm sure there'd be enough interest from her many fans to make the project financially profitable, provided of course that the package is properly promoted. Maybe Keith Hughes would considering undertaking this in 2015 for Ace / Kent.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between Earl Van Dyke's "Boogaliss" and Gloria Jones's "Heartbeat"?

I can see where you're coming from there. It does sound a bit like Heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    I'm amazed at the number of songs that BH recorded while at Motown; Steve Devereux calls her the Queen of Unreleased Motown and rightfully so!
    I do indeed [[I've played The Love Line on the show before now!)

I've now uploaded last week's show where I had the world premiere of two tracks from the Unreleased 1964 compilation [[I wasn't allowed to do a big fanfare in advance, sorry!) - I originally had a choice of 3 tracks from the proposed list, and picked a Brenda track, but then it was cut down to 2 and I wanted to keep Hattie Littles [[as she's got lots of fans around the station since I introduced her work to them!) and Marvin Gaye [[because if you think I was going to turn down the chance to have a world premiere of a Marvin Gaye track, think again). Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.mixcloud.com/discoveringmotown/53/

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Carole - You may be onto something. After some quick research on DFTM, it seems that four duets with Marvin and Oma were produced by Marc Gordon and Hal Davis on June 26, 1964 in California: Was It A Dream, Rilleh!, Steadies and Your Kiss Kiss. And four days prior, on June 22, 1964, Gordon and Davis also did Must Be Quite A Show, Peace of Mind, Touch of Venus and To a Bad Dream with Marvin. I've always thought those duets were highly underrated.
    Russ: good research work! Just a note of caution - the dates you cite are shown as "recorded before" dates on the site: what that means in this case, and similar "outside session" dates, is that the tapes were registered as having been received at Hitsville on those dates. [[This from the sheets typed up and attached to the tape boxes in Detroit.) We have very few actual recording dates for LA recordings. It seems safe to assume that the tracks were all cut during a visit to the Coast by Marvin some time in June 1964. However - the tracks by Marvin solo are on one tape and the tracks by Marvin and Oma are on another tape, which suggests they were separate sessions, and there's nothing to suggest the solo tracks were considered as duet material.

A teaser footnote: there are other tracks by other artists on both tapes, including one by the Spinners, "When The City Sleeps". I recall Bobby Smith telling me this was one of his favourite tracks [[when I interviewed him for the Ace CD essay). It was finished off at Hitsville in January 1965, so is a contender for 1965 Unreleased, next year. Watch out for it!

ps Carole: neither Ritchie nor I can identify the singer on "Dance Yeah Dance". Heikki, are you out there? One for you ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Interesting Keith, thanks. Is there any background on the Marvin recordings with, it appears, the music recorded in New York and his vocals added in Chicago?

To my ears the singer on "Dance Yeah Dance" by The Spinners is Chico Edwards.

not sure what else you're looking for, alan h ... NY seems to have become the preferred venue for Motown string sessions during 1964, and probably Marvin happened to be performing in Chicago at that time and it was cheaper to air-freight the tape there rather than fly Marvin back to Detroit ... !

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  21.1 KB

Keith -
    Why were the Edward Earling cuts not placed on Motown unreleased 1963? Was he never signed to an artist contract?

Hi Keith,

I'm still here for a day or so...
    So far it's better that I won't say anything about that Spinners track. I forwarded the question to Henry Fambrough, although he's not always very active in answering :-).

Best regards
    Heikki

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Russ: good research work! Just a note of caution - the dates you cite are shown as "recorded before" dates on the site: what that means in this case, and similar "outside session" dates, is that the tapes were registered as having been received at Hitsville on those dates. [[This from the sheets typed up and attached to the tape boxes in Detroit.) We have very few actual recording dates for LA recordings. It seems safe to assume that the tracks were all cut during a visit to the Coast by Marvin some time in June 1964. However - the tracks by Marvin solo are on one tape and the tracks by Marvin and Oma are on another tape, which suggests they were separate sessions, and there's nothing to suggest the solo tracks were considered as duet material.

A teaser footnote: there are other tracks by other artists on both tapes, including one by the Spinners, "When The City Sleeps". I recall Bobby Smith telling me this was one of his favourite tracks [[when I interviewed him for the Ace CD essay). It was finished off at Hitsville in January 1965, so is a contender for 1965 Unreleased, next year. Watch out for it!

ps Carole: neither Ritchie nor I can identify the singer on "Dance Yeah Dance". Heikki, are you out there? One for you ...
    Hey Keith- Thanks for the response. Would you happen to know if any additional solo Oma Page tracks were recorded during this period where she was also recording with Marvin Gaye?

Robb

Edward Earling was certainly a candidate for 1963. We discarded a few on grounds of, uh, quality [[of one kind or another), but his three certainly wouldn't have been amongst them. The rest of the rejections were because we couldn't clear them with Legal, so I guess Earling must have been amongst them.

Do you know anything about him? I thought he sounded a lot like the lead singer of the Morrocco Music Makers, but I think that theory was shot down when we were researching the Singles series.

Keith

Ross

I think we managed to clear up the mystery re Oma Heard/Page when we were doing the Singles series - and it's Oma HEARD who did the duets with Marvin, despite the credit to Oma PAGE on the Marvin box set where they first appeared.

There are a couple of unreleased tracks by Oma Heard still in the Vaults, but sadly we weren't able to get them cleared for the 1964 Unreleased set. As always with LA stuff, they're hard to date precisely, but they're not on the same reels as the M-O duets.

Keith
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-22-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Keith

Thanks for the Marvin recording info, which is what I was looking for. I'm so used to Motown tracks either being recorded in Detroit or LA that it throws me [[though perhaps it shouldn't) when I see recordings taking place elsewhere.

RossHolloway Guest
    Ross

I think we managed to clear up the mystery re Oma Heard/Page when we were doing the Singles series - and it's Oma HEARD who did the duets with Marvin, despite the credit to Oma PAGE on the Marvin box set where they first appeared.

There are a couple of unreleased tracks by Oma Heard still in the Vaults, but sadly we weren't able to get them cleared for the 1964 Unreleased set. As always with LA stuff, they're hard to date precisely, but they're not on the same reels as the M-O duets.

Keith
    Thanks again for the response. I'm also just curious to what all is entailed for getting songs cleared released? I know its a bit like inside baseball, but I guess there's more to it than just quality of the song and quality of the tape.

Clearance is nothing to do with the quality of the material. It is usually to do with a record company having the legal right to issue recordings they have in their possession. That is determined by the company's legal department, from studying the contracts they have for the artist. If they can't find a contract that entitles them to release a particular recording, they don't release it. For further info - ask a lawyer! [[It's something that baffles most people who try to get old recordings released, but when Legal say No, then it's No.)

Question for Keith Hughes - Providing the recording details for these sets on DFTM is much appreciated - thanks very much.
    Is it possible to provide the same details for the 1962 sets with the bonus section of the website at some point? I'm sure the tracks will be annotated on the site in various places, but to have them in the 'bonus tracks and additional material' section would be very handy.

[[I'm loving all the 'new' Brenda H tracks. Great to hear 'Don't Compare Me With Her', which is one of my all time favourite Motown tracks)

honest man Guest
    Have problems been sorted out yet.also any info on best deals for this little lot,cheers people

Robb

Edward Earling was certainly a candidate for 1963. We discarded a few on grounds of, uh, quality [[of one kind or another), but his three certainly wouldn't have been amongst them. The rest of the rejections were because we couldn't clear them with Legal, so I guess Earling must have been amongst them.

Do you know anything about him? I thought he sounded a lot like the lead singer of the Morocco Music Makers, but I think that theory was shot down when we were researching the Singles series.
    Keith
Views: 804
    I think that the lead singer of The Morocco Muzik Makers had a slightly more raspy/scratchy voice. I don't think Edward was that guy. No, I don't know anything about Edward. Do we have contact with any people who were with Motown at the time that might remember him? Members of The Andantes, Four Tops, Spinners, Velvelettes? One member of The Andantes with whom some of us have contact, [[Louvain Demps) remembered Wade Jones.

Robb

Do you know anything about him? I thought he sounded a lot like the lead singer of the Morocco Music Makers, but I think that theory was shot down when we were researching the Singles series.
    Keith
Views: 804
    I think that the lead singer of The Morocco Muzik Makers had a slightly more raspy/scratchy voice. I don't think Edward was that guy. No, I don't know anything about Edward. Do we have contact with any people who were with Motown at the time that might remember him? Members of The Andantes, Four Tops, Spinners, Velvelettes? One member of The Andantes with whom some of us have contact, Louvain Demps) remembered Wade Jones.

RossHolloway Guest
    Clearance is nothing to do with the quality of the material. It is usually to do with a record company having the legal right to issue recordings they have in their possession. That is determined by the company's legal department, from studying the contracts they have for the artist. If they can't find a contract that entitles them to release a particular recording, they don't release it. For further info - ask a lawyer! [[It's something that baffles most people who try to get old recordings released, but when Legal say No, then it's No.)
    Thanks, so just because Motown Universal may have /possess a physical copy of a track, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a legal right to release the track?

One last question - Have all of the LaBrenda Ben tracks been freed from the vault? Her tracks have been a revelation.

Just previewed some tracks on iTunes.
    Thanks for the heads up Soulful Detroiters! I'll download them in the morning and burn to CDs.
    Really liked the Chocker Campbell cuts. I have had his "Hits Of the Sixties" Lp since 1965, still in mint shape....

I enjoyed the Choker Campbell cuts better than anything on "Hits of the Sixties".

Looking over the annotations at DFTMC, it appears that Brenda Holloway's first Detroit -completed recording would be "I'm the Exception To the Rule" [[There is no California designation on this track) . Some writers have mentioned her first visit to Detroit as taking place in January, 1965- but she must have come to Hitsville a few days earlier, after having spent Christmas with her family .

It's no longer available on Google Play. Perhaps they're gonna fix the problem and re - add it soon.

Hi MrTopCat... it's been off Google Play for many days now. I've given up waiting for corrected files and got a refund, then bought it elsewhere.

Carole, I think Brenda's first Hitsville recording was "A Favor For A Girl [[With A Love Sick Heart)", recorded Mar 3 1964. She cut "Don't Compare Me With Her" there in May, and "You've Changed Me" in June. "I'm The Exception" was one of a batch of recordings made at Hitsville in Dec and Jan, too many to list here. I recall a story she told that her first visit to Detroit in winter [[presumably this Dec/Jan stay) was the first time she ever saw snow, and that she didn't appreciate being carried bodily out into the front yard at 2648 by some friendly Motown folk and dumped in it!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Carole, I think Brenda's first Hitsville recording was "A Favor For A Girl [[With A Love Sick Heart)", recorded Mar 3 1964. She cut "Don't Compare Me With Her" there in May, and "You've Changed Me" in June. "I'm The Exception" was one of a batch of recordings made at Hitsville in Dec and Jan, too many to list here. I recall a story she told that her first visit to Detroit in winter [[presumably this Dec/Jan stay) was the first time she ever saw snow, and that she didn't appreciate being carried bodily out into the front yard at 2648 by some friendly Motown folk and dumped in it!
    Keith,

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not sure how I missed the annotation for "Don't Compare Me To Her" .
    From what you state, it seems that Brenda's early trips to Hitsville only produced one usable song each trip, each with [[a) different songwriter[[s)/producer[[s) .

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Thanks, so just because Motown Universal may have /possess a physical copy of a track, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a legal right to release the track?

One last question - Have all of the LaBrenda Ben tracks been freed from the vault? Her tracks have been a revelation.
    Ross, there is a chance that there could be at least a couple more. I have :Go Ahead And Laugh" as a "Assigned" track and "It`s All Over You" as an acetate from 1963, which should have appeared last December as an download I would have thought, who knows.

I just bought this as a lossless [[16-bit, 44.1 kHz) download from Qobuz for £24.69, almost £4 cheaper than the lossy mp3 download on Amazon UK. I haven't played it all yet but I did play the 3 tracks that some in this thread had problems with, and they are fine.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mot.../0060254713360
    Last edited by calvin; 12-29-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Ross, there is a chance that there could be at least a couple more. I have :Go Ahead And Laugh" as a "Assigned" track and "It`s All Over You" as an acetate from 1963, which should have appeared last December as an download I would have thought, who knows.
    Hi Roger

If you know "It's All Over You" you'll know that LaBrenda sings mostly on the choruses, the verses are taken by an unidentified male singer.

You can't get clearance for an unidentified vocalist. We didn't even apply. Enjoy your acetate.

Keith

Hi Keith, the Compliments of the Season to You. No I don`t have the acetate, it`s just that I read somewhere that there was an acetate so I just noted it in my little book along with all other suggestions and "assigned" mentions of unreleased songs. Does "Go Ahead And Laugh " exist?
    Now rest up and build up your strength for a very busy New Year preparing soon-to-be released classic Motown compilations for which I`m eagerly awaiting and extremely grateful for.

Never extravagant with tape, Motown seem to have overdubbed Kim singing "Go Ahead And Laugh" onto LaBrenda's recording and it's gone. I believe we are now out of stock on new LaBrenda recordings, though who knows what may turn up ...

Seasons Greetings to you Roger, and to all our readers.

RossHolloway Guest
    Keith _Hughes - Just a follow up question, have all of Brenda Holloway's unreleased tracks from '63 and '64 now been released?

Russ, certainly all the ones that were mixed at the time have been released.

Russ, certainly all the ones that were mixed at the time have been released.
    Keith, I was wondering if you or anyone answer a Brenda question for me? In 1998 her unreleased track 'Lonely Boy' was issued on the CD THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! Vol. 2 and then came out again on THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! [[Motown Sound Vol. 1) in 2005. My question is if there is any difference in the sound when it came out the second time?

Name:  ns2.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  28.8 KBName:  NS 1.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  89.9 KB

Keith, I was wondering if you or anyone answer a Brenda question for me? In 1998 her unreleased track 'Lonely Boy' was issued on the CD THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! Vol. 2 and then came out again on THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! [[Motown Sound Vol. 1) in 2005. My question is if there is any difference in the sound when it came out the second time?
    The first release sounds harsh and from a bad source, the second release sounds great and I think it's from the original master tape. The only other difference is the second release fades out earlier than the first one [[which goes on a bit longer with just the bass playing).

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    The first release sounds harsh and from a bad source, the second release sounds great and I think it's from the original master tape. The only other difference is the second release fades out earlier than the first one [[which goes on a bit longer with just the bass playing).
    Thanks BP, I was hoping that was the case since I only have the first one and your so right about the harsh sound.

I`ve had this for some time now and have found some great tracks:
    Spinners: "Night and Dayo"
    Earl Van Dyke: Blue Berry"
    Marvin Gaye: "Peace Of Mind"
    Johnny Bristol: "A Woman`s Love"
    Brenda Holloway: Don`t Compare Me With Her"
    Earl Van Dyke: "Soul Groove"
    Amos Miburn: "I`m Just A Fool"
    Marvin Gaye: "Little Miss Loser"
    Brenda Holloway: "I`m The Exception To The Rule"
    Plus the LaBrenda`s and Choker Campbell.
    My only disappointments are the number of LA. recorded tracks which suffer from not having the Funk Brothers grooves.I`ve always found R. Dean Taylor`s songs childishly corny. This is a digital download that I am very happy to own.