[REMOVE ADS]

Farewell - Diana Ross & The Supremes

I just finished listen to that great live Farewell performance of DRS.

I can't believe there was never a video release of that show...there must have a video of that fantastic show??? What are they waiting to release it...that all diehard Supremes's fans die???

I remember seeing a short video of that night on the next Saturday after that Wednesday, January 14th 1970, on Dick Clark's American Banstand ...

Anyone knows???

Sorry didn't see that a similar thread was post before.
    Last edited by johnbell; 12-14-2014 at 01:10 AM.

supremester Guest
    Marv saw the entire concert at a special private screening in Detroit - tell us all about t, Marv!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Marv saw the entire concert at a special private screening in Detroit - tell us all about t, Marv!
    And I saw the uncut version of Motown 25 at a special screening in bankok. Lol

Roberta

This is really crazy because I remember a fan told me once they had a copy but couldn't copy it because it would destroy their player. I have seen bits and pieces of the show about as much as has been shown on youtube. I would probably bet that nothing was ever fully recorded or destroyed by accident. Also, does anyone ever remember seeing any of the clips in anything other than black and white ?

When some footage aired on AMERICAN BANDSTAND, it was in color. I didn't see the original airing but they showed a bit on one of those Bandstand anniversary specials. A very brief clip was shown during Diana's 1977 tv special and it was in color as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire thing was recorded. To me, it doesn't make sense to just record a portion. So far, the clips I've seen show DMC on stage, another shot of Diana singing to someone in the audience, and then clips from the closing segment.

It would be nice to see the entire thing, but I won't hold my breath. A while back, someone was claiming to have a lot of rare Motown video including [[I think) the FAREWELL performance. They wanted a pretty penny for it. A couple of my friends asked if I would like to split the cost for some, but later changed their minds and didn't proceed. I never heard of anyone receiving the material, and I vaguely recall a poster on here who said that he was still waiting for his.
    Last edited by reese; 12-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.

supremester Guest
    No really, it's true. Marv told us online that saw the entire concert at a special showing in a Detroit Theatre in the 80s for some special local celebration.

Marv: was it a single camera set up, or multi camera edited film?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And I saw the uncut version of Motown 25 at a special screening in bankok. Lol

Roberta

The problem is, the more time that goes by, the less interest, or, perhaps, the less audience there is for these releases. Sure, I'd love to see "Farewell", but if we can't even get "Funny Girl" on CD, which would cross sell to Diana fans, Supremes fans, Barbra fans, and Broadway fans, how can we expect to get this on DVD?

It's all about timing, and I think the boat has sailed. This could have been released around "Motown 25", "Motown 40", "motown 50", or the Supremes 50th anniversary. Besides a few hundred fans, who would want this?

Now, "TCB" packaged with "GIT" has a larger potential to sell; you've got Diana fans, Supremes fans, Tepmtations fans, Broadway fans.....but again, the more time that goes by, the more the interest diminshes.

There once was talk of a 2nd "Supremes: Reflections" DVD, or perhaps it was a 2nd "Supremes: Ed Sullivan" DVD [[or maybe it was all 70's performances?) Does anyone know what happened to that? AND: does anyone know how the "Reflections" and "Sullivan" DVD's sold?

I agree that "Farewell" is an excellent performance and a great time capsule that would be great to have as a visual . I think the lack there-fore of comes down to just a few choices:
    1) It was not recorded in entirety
    2) It was recorded in entirety but the technical quality was not great
    3) The technical quality was good but has deteriorated
    I think that if the performance was recorded it would have leaked by now, but I'll hold out hope! After it was accepted as fact for years that Aretha at the Fillmore was not video-ed. but it's been available to view on YouTube for several years now. As we all know there are LOTS of Motown vids [[the afore-mentioned GIT/TCB, Diana's first solo special, etc) that many of us would love to have but I guess "record" company disinterest and/or Byzantinian corporate involvements prevent that.

I have to agree it would have leaked this to the public by now..

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I agree that "Farewell" is an excellent performance and a great time capsule that would be great to have as a visual . I think the lack there-fore of comes down to just a few choices:
    1) It was not recorded in entirety
    2) It was recorded in entirety but the technical quality was not great
    3) The technical quality was good but has deteriorated
    I think that if the performance was recorded it would have leaked by now, but I'll hold out hope! After it was accepted as fact for years that Aretha at the Fillmore was not video-ed. but it's been available to view on YouTube for several years now. As we all know there are LOTS of Motown vids [[the afore-mentioned GIT/TCB, Diana's first solo special, etc) that many of us would love to have but I guess "record" company disinterest and/or Byzantinian corporate involvements prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have to agree it would have leaked this to the public by now..
    Petition to Diana Ross & The Supremes Farewell 1970 in DVD - https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...DVD/share/?new

To date only 39 signers on the petition where has everybodys support gone to.

Don' give up !!!

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    To date only 39 signers on the petition where has everybodys support gone to.
    I just signed. It takes a while for these to grow support.