[REMOVE ADS]

Singles releases Parts 1 and 2

As far as I know, there weren't a lot of 45 singles released by Motown that had part 1 and part 2 as flips. Was there a particular reason why, I wonder? As I look at the increasingly longer productions by Norman Whitefield, especially, I would think that more singles by the Temps would have had part 1 and part 2 on the same single as flips. Is there something obvious I am overlooking?

the longer tracks didn't really occur until the early and mid 70s. the Four Tops Still Water Love/Peace was sort of like this. and then Got To Give It Up.

i think it would depend on how interesting the other part really would be. if it's not a solid stand-alone piece then it might be better to issue another track on the B side. plus that also gets another writer/producer some exposure

Fingertips Pt. 1 and Fingertips Pt. 2 were the premier 2 part songs released on the Tamla label.

James Brown had many records with a part 1 and part 2. Motown was making mostly Pop/Soul records that were under the 3 minute mark through most of it's history.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  21.1 KB
    Congo Parts 1 & 2 by The Twistin' Kings.
    Did they do Parts 1&2 of Christmas Twist?

There were a few on the Soul label - Junior Walker being the main protagonist with Earl Van Dyke and The Originals also having split sides.

The Flick, Money, Hip City, Gimme That Beat, Supernatural Voodoo Woman.

There were more Vocal / Instrumental split singles across the Motown labels.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-08-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks, guys. I knew that some of the earlier singles had parts 1 and 2. I was thinking more about the longer productions that would come later, such as the Whitfield stuff. But as sup_fan said, maybe it was about the b-side being good enough to stand on its own or about giving another writer/producer exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    James Brown had many records with a part 1 and part 2. Motown was making mostly Pop/Soul records that were under the 3 minute mark through most of it's history.
    If James Brown had recorded the Lord's Prayer, I am convinced it would have had 2 parts, Lol!

Almost Robb; but the flip side was called "White House Twist" and was musically different to "Christmas Twist", so it wasn't Part 2.

However, you can add "MacArthur Park" by the Four Tops to the list, as it was definitely labelled Parts 1 and 2. Also how about these:

"Night Fo' Last" by Shorty Long - it's split into a vocal and instrumental version over both sides,
    "I Love You Madly Vocal and Instrumental" by The Fantastic Four,
    "Funky Rubber Band, Vocal and Instrumental" by Popcorn Wylie,
    "Way Back Home - Vocal and Instrumental" by Jr. Walker and The All Stars,
    "There You Go - Vocal and Instrumental" by Edwin Starr,
    "Snake Walk Parts 1 & 2" by The Swinging Tigers,
    "I Call It Pretty Music, But The Old People Call It The Blues Parts 1 and 2" by Little Stevie Wonder,
    Girl You Need A Change Of Mind, Parts 1 and 2" by Eddie Kendricks,
    You're The Man, Parts 1 and 2" by Marvin Gaye, and
    Keep On Truckin' Parts 1 and 2" by Eddie Kendricks.

I'm sure there are others, but right now, those are the ones that spring to mind.

I am Love/I am Love pt 2 - The Jackson 5

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Almost Robb; but the flip side was called "White House Twist" and was musically different to "Christmas Twist", so it wasn't Part 2.

However, you can add "MacArthur Park" by the Four Tops to the list, as it was definitely labelled Parts 1 and 2. Also how about these:

"Night Fo' Last" by Shorty Long - it's split into a vocal and instrumental version over both sides,
    "I Love You Madly Vocal and Instrumental" by The Fantastic Four,
    "Funky Rubber Band, Vocal and Instrumental" by Popcorn Wylie,
    "Way Back Home - Vocal and Instrumental" by Jr. Walker and The All Stars,
    "There You Go - Vocal and Instrumental" by Edwin Starr,
    "Snake Walk Parts 1 & 2" by The Swinging Tigers,
    "I Call It Pretty Music, But The Old People Call It The Blues Parts 1 and 2" by Little Stevie Wonder,
    Girl You Need A Change Of Mind, Parts 1 and 2" by Eddie Kendricks,
    You're The Man, Parts 1 and 2" by Marvin Gaye, and
    Keep On Truckin' Parts 1 and 2" by Eddie Kendricks.

I'm sure there are others, but right now, those are the ones that spring to mind.
    I had completely forgot about the Four Tops' "MacArthur Park" had a Pt 2.