[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 74
  1. #1

    Question Where is Barbara Martin?

    Where is Barbara Martin from The Supremes (1961-1962) Today?

    Name:  Barbara martin from the supremes - Pesquisa Google.jpg
Views: 4381
Size:  4.3 KB

    I have not heard about it since always, is the only Supreme who have not appeared in the media, should have appeared at least for RTL Concert B

  2. #2
    She is in Detroit.

  3. #3
    In the "Meet the Supremes" Expanded Edition there's a great interview of Barbara Martin by Mary. Very interesting and informative.

    Marv, I'm surprised you didn't mention that!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    In the "Meet the Supremes" Expanded Edition there's a great interview of Barbara Martin by Mary. Very interesting and informative.

    Marv, I'm surprised you didn't mention that!
    Look, sorry but Bill Bonds just died and I am watching retrospectives on him now.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Look, sorry but Bill Bonds just died and I am watching retrospectives on him now.
    Oh, Bill Bonds is a legend in the Detroit area. I'm sorry to hear that.

    Of course, I was just teasing you. But sorry for my bad timing.

  6. #6
    To the detriment of forgetting critical Mary Wilson input into the history of Motown and the Supremes???!!oxo?#sproing

  7. #7

    Unhappy

    This is sad Marv. He had his issues, but was a good friend to many in Detroit and a heck of a Journalist. I remember the days of Diana Lewis and Doris Biscoe. They were quite a team.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    This is sad Marv. He had his issues, but was a good friend to many in Detroit and a heck of a Journalist. I remember the days of Diana Lewis and Doris Biscoe. They were quite a team.
    I most definitely remember both Diana Lewis and Doris Briscoe. I had a crush on both of them when I was a teenager. LOL!

    Bill Bonds character and personality was truly Detroit made. His personal escapades were just as interesting to us as his on air news broadcasts. He was Detroit as much as Berry Gordy and Motown, Ford Motors, Faygo Pop, and the Tigers.
    Last edited by marv2; 12-14-2014 at 09:38 AM.

  9. #9
    I know this thread is abt Barbara Martin, but yeah most guys had a crush on that those ladies! It was nice to watch a highly intelligent news team. Of all the places I have lived, Detroit still has the best news. But channel 7 led the pack and I always felt they were great roles for females especially ie Doris Robbie Diana. Wasn't Maralyn Turner the first female "weather caster"?
    I met Woody Willis a few back, another classy Hard working guy. Interesting circumstances!

  10. #10
    Could we please keep this thread about former Supreme And nurse miss Barbara Martin.

    thank you.

    Roberta

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Could we please keep this thread about former Supreme And nurse miss Barbara Martin.

    thank you.

    Roberta
    Unless you know something about Barbara that is worthy of the discussion, let the conversation go how it goes.

    Speaking of Barbara Martin, what about Betty McGlown? I know she passed away a few years back, but what did she do in those years after the Primettes?

  12. #12
    Wasn't there a video clip posted here recently that had one of the Primettes speaking? Don't remember which one it was.

  13. #13
    OK. I found the link/video. Was Barbara Terry-Bynum known as Barbara Martin? This is a very interesting clip. She talks about her time singing with the Primettes. Thanks to theboyfromxtown for the original post and video.



    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ight=Primettes
    Last edited by skooldem1; 12-14-2014 at 01:47 PM.

  14. #14
    Thanks John from a long time ago and thanks Skooldem.

  15. #15
    That doesn't seem like Barbara Terry-Bynum is Barbara Martin, even though Barbara T-B says she sang on the Primettes record "Tears of Sorrow." I thought Barbara Martin had no association with show business after leaving the Supremes. It's also odd that this Barbara never refers to herself as "formerly known as" Barbara Martin, or any such thing. This lady seems like she'd talk more about it if she were really a Supreme. But how would she happen to have sung on "Tears of Sorrow?"

    Does anyone know the history of this clip?

    It's also interesting that Wiki says Barbara Martin didn't even sing on "Tears of Sorrow," that she was only on the Motown version of the original single.

    Lu Pine version



    Motown version




    The Barbara in the video above seems to have credibility but it's really difficult to believe she sang on the Primettes record when you consider these things together.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-14-2014 at 02:48 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That doesn't seem like Barbara Terry-Bynum is Barbara Martin, even though Barbara T-B says she sang on the Primettes record "Tears of Sorrow." I thought Barbara Martin had no association with show business after leaving the Supremes. It's also odd that this Barbara never refers to herself as "formerly known as" Barbara Martin, or any such thing. This lady seems like she'd talk more about it if she were really a Supreme. But how would she happen to have sung on "Tears of Sorrow?"

    Does anyone know the history of this clip?

    It's also interesting that Wiki says Barbara Martin didn't even sing on "Tears of Sorrow," that she was only on the Motown version of the original single.

    Lu Pine version



    Motown version




    The Barbara in the video above seems to have credibility but it's really difficult to believe she sang on the Primettes record when you consider these things together.
    didn't Mary mentioned after Betty left but before Barbara joined Richard Morris brought in two other girls to the session and I think she did say one was a minister

  17. #17
    This isn't Barbara Martin. Mary introduced Martin at one of her shows 10, 15 years ago. There was a pic circulating at the time, which I can't find now.. Barbara Martin is more fair-skinned that Barbara T-B.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Unless you know something about Barbara that is worthy of the discussion, let the conversation go how it goes.

    Speaking of Barbara Martin, what about Betty McGlown? I know she passed away a few years back, but what did she do in those years after the Primettes?
    She got married and raised her kids. I met her back in 1987 when Mary came to Detroit for a book signing for "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme".

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I know this thread is abt Barbara Martin, but yeah most guys had a crush on that those ladies! It was nice to watch a highly intelligent news team. Of all the places I have lived, Detroit still has the best news. But channel 7 led the pack and I always felt they were great roles for females especially ie Doris Robbie Diana. Wasn't Maralyn Turner the first female "weather caster"?
    I met Woody Willis a few back, another classy Hard working guy. Interesting circumstances!
    Marilyn Turner (John Kelly's wife.....remember?) was the first female weather caster I had ever saw. We could go down the list. Detroit had icons in local news, Sonny Elliott, Dave Dials, Mort Crim, Carmen Harlan, etc, etc.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That doesn't seem like Barbara Terry-Bynum is Barbara Martin, even though Barbara T-B says she sang on the Primettes record "Tears of Sorrow." I thought Barbara Martin had no association with show business after leaving the Supremes. It's also odd that this Barbara never refers to herself as "formerly known as" Barbara Martin, or any such thing. This lady seems like she'd talk more about it if she were really a Supreme. But how would she happen to have sung on "Tears of Sorrow?"

    Does anyone know the history of this clip?

    It's also interesting that Wiki says Barbara Martin didn't even sing on "Tears of Sorrow," that she was only on the Motown version of the original single.

    Lu Pine version



    Motown version




    The Barbara in the video above seems to have credibility but it's really difficult to believe she sang on the Primettes record when you consider these things together.
    No Barbara Terry-Bynum is not Barbara Martin. They are not related and look nothing alike. I saw Barbara Martin back in 1994 in Detroit when she came to Mary's Chene Park Homecoming concert. She and Mary sang a small bit of "He's Seventeen" together. Barbara Martin is a very goodlooking woman.

  21. #21
    Thanks Marv...seems lots of people lay claims to have been in on the Supremes both in the early days as well as the days of glory. Hard to believe this woman, with all her industry experience, would make such a claim.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks Marv...seems lots of people lay claims to have been in on the Supremes both in the early days as well as the days of glory. Hard to believe this woman, with all her industry experience, would make such a claim.
    She may have done a session with the group.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Marilyn Turner (John Kelly's wife.....remember?) was the first female weather caster I had ever saw. We could go down the list. Detroit had icons in local news, Sonny Elliott, Dave Dials, Mort Crim, Carmen Harlan, etc, etc.
    Dd u see Marilyn Turner host the Supremes - Mary Cindy and Sherrie when the 1975 album came out? I think they sang It All Been Said Before. The seemed so happy together and Mary did a great job leading the PR for the group. Their dance routine was real tight.

  24. #24
    The signing at the Ren Cen? Damn I missed here. Mary introduced Lois Reeves to the crowd of abt 300 and that was after lunch. The crowd was huge. I Remeber our office was pretty empty and late cause the line was so long. She took her time with every fan. Miss Ray and Patti also treated the fans right at the their book signing. Miss Ray looked so fine but damn she was so tired after being there all day. They offered her ride back to the hotel that was inside the Ren Cen - she was beat. We talked for 20 min. A very fan friendly lady.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    The signing at the Ren Cen? Damn I missed here. Mary introduced Lois Reeves to the crowd of abt 300 and that was after lunch. The crowd was huge. I Remeber our office was pretty empty and late cause the line was so long. She took her time with every fan. Miss Ray and Patti also treated the fans right at the their book signing. Miss Ray looked so fine but damn she was so tired after being there all day. They offered her ride back to the hotel that was inside the Ren Cen - she was beat. We talked for 20 min. A very fan friendly lady.
    I think after Mary's first book that Miss Ray's is the best book ever about Motown. So interesting to hear her tell the tales from the early years. Especially loved finally finding out about the instrument the ondoline (sp?) which was all over the early records and was kind of an early version of a synthesizer. A most informative book.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Unless you know something about Barbara that is worthy of the discussion, let the conversation go how it goes.

    Speaking of Barbara Martin, what about Betty McGlown? I know she passed away a few years back, but what did she do in those years after the Primettes?

    No need to get your feathers all rufled dear. I can say whatever I like actually long as it respectful.

    Roberta

  27. #27
    In her first book, Mary wrote that the original TEARS OF SORROW was recorded after Betty McGlown left but before Barbara Martin joined. She mentioned that their producer Richard Morris thought their vocals might sound thin with just the three of them, so he brought along Betty Kendrick and Barbara Randolph to fill out the sound. Mary concluded by saying that she never saw either woman again, but that Barbara became a minister.

    So I assume that the woman Mary called Barbara Randolph in her book was actually Barbara Terry. But future member Barbara Martin wasn't in the picture yet.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    No need to get your feathers all rufled dear. I can say whatever I like actually long as it respectful.

    Roberta
    Roberta, no feathers of mine are being ruffled. I was merely reminding you that, just as you can say what you like, everyone else can as well - be it on topic or not.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her first book, Mary wrote that the original TEARS OF SORROW was recorded after Betty McGlown left but before Barbara Martin joined. She mentioned that their producer Richard Morris thought their vocals might sound thin with just the three of them, so he brought along Betty Kendrick and Barbara Randolph to fill out the sound. Mary concluded by saying that she never saw either woman again, but that Barbara became a minister.

    So I assume that the woman Mary called Barbara Randolph in her book was actually Barbara Terry. But future member Barbara Martin wasn't in the picture yet.
    Wow, Reese, great detective work! I think you may be right. In that television interview, Barbara Terry mentions Richard Morris as having something to do with her being on the record. The way she says it - somewhat hesitantly - makes it seem credible as she seems to be trying to recall something from that long ago. In fact, in the interview she also mentions that she had become an ordained minister.

    Great deduction!

  30. #30
    I, too, think Reese really figured out this one. Add in that Barbara T-B never actually identified herself as Barbara Martin and Reese's explanation very logically nails it. If that were to turn out not to be the case, that would be a surprise. To paraphrase The Marvelettes: "The Truth's Outside The Thread"--and Reese brought it in.

  31. #31
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She got married and raised her kids. I met her back in 1987 when Mary came to Detroit for a book signing for "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme".
    You must have changed a lot since 1987. I believe it was 2007 that folks here sent Mary the photos of you so that she knew who this crazy person obsessed with talking trash about Diana and Suzanne was...

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Dd u see Marilyn Turner host the Supremes - Mary Cindy and Sherrie when the 1975 album came out? I think they sang It All Been Said Before. The seemed so happy together and Mary did a great job leading the PR for the group. Their dance routine was real tight.
    No I didn't see that show, but I did see Marilyn interview Mary after her best seller came out here:


  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    You must have changed a lot since 1987. I believe it was 2007 that folks here sent Mary the photos of you so that she knew who this crazy person obsessed with talking trash about Diana and Suzanne was...
    Lulu, I don't think we should be stirring all those accusations up again. Let's leave it behind us.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her first book, Mary wrote that the original TEARS OF SORROW was recorded after Betty McGlown left but before Barbara Martin joined. She mentioned that their producer Richard Morris thought their vocals might sound thin with just the three of them, so he brought along Betty Kendrick and Barbara Randolph to fill out the sound. Mary concluded by saying that she never saw either woman again, but that Barbara became a minister.

    So I assume that the woman Mary called Barbara Randolph in her book was actually Barbara Terry. But future member Barbara Martin wasn't in the picture yet.
    Reese now all that makes sense! Thanks.

  35. #35
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Lulu, I don't think we should be stirring all those accusations up again. Let's leave it behind us.
    Accusations? I provided you all with facts (which you would have known had you read them on the links I provided). I will gladly do so again. If you want to keep the wool over your eyes, knock your socks off. I have a responsibility to the forum members to connect the dots so that we can finally say goodbye to marv/DetroitLives313/marysfan. We have tried many times and I don't quite have the #s I need to make the case for Ralph. I'm also focusing my efforts on YouTube and in the "Mary Wilson: Original Supreme" Yahoo! Group. Marvin Davis has repeatedly put words into Mary Wilson's mouth and continues to promote lies about Miss Diana Ross and Miss Suzanne De Passe. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the paper trail to back them up like I do with his online goings on for the last 7+ years. Mary Wilson has also addressed him by name to some of us and has made it clear that he is not a friend of hers and should probably stay as far away from her and Diana as possible...
    Last edited by Lulu; 12-14-2014 at 11:44 PM.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Accusations? I provided you all with facts which you would have known had you read them on the links I provided. I will gladly do so again. If you want to keep the wool over your eyes, knock your socks off. I have a responsibility to the forum members to connect the dots so that we can finally say goodbye to marv/DetroitLives313/marysfan.
    No, I've seen them. Just trying to keep the peace here.

  37. #37
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    No, I've seen them. Just trying to keep the peace here.
    I appreciate that but honestly, I think we've all had enough. I have a responsibility to the forum members and the Motown artists to end this charade. Enough is enough.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I appreciate that but honestly, I think we've all had enough. I have a responsibility to the forum members and the Motown artists to end this charade. Enough is enough.
    I understand. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought all those shenanigans had ceased some time ago.

  39. #39
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I understand. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought all those shenanigans had ceased some time ago.
    Oh no dear. We just heard from Mary not too long ago...and of course, the YouTube and Yahoo! comments keep rolling...

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Oh no dear. We just heard from Mary not too long ago...and of course, the YouTube and Yahoo! comments keep rolling...
    Ahh...I'm very disappointed to hear that.

  41. #41
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Ahh...I'm very disappointed to hear that.
    We all are. I just can't imagine having so much disdain for a 70 year old woman. It's sad...

  42. #42
    Reese did a superb job here; Reese knows this stuff as good as anyone I've heard from.

    So does this lady say she, too, was in the Supremes?

    Lulu and Kenneth, you are both very fine people. I would not be surprised to hear shenanigans continue, nor that Mary Wilson finds them distressing.

    Marv walks a fine line here and only brings up what is tolerable to the majority of Forum Members and Ralph.

  43. #43
    @jobeterob, the lady on the right, Barbara Terry-Pynum, talks about Richard Morris asking her to sing on the record "Tears of Sorrow" with the Primettes as well as (what I think was) the B-side. She doesn't claim to be a Supreme beyond that session, which is why I thought she had a lot of credibility. It didn't make sense until Reese explained how Mary had related the story that Morris had wanted additional background vocalists due to Betty McGlown having already left the group at the time of the recording, but Mary referred to a Barbara as Barbara "Randolph" not Barbara Terry. All in all, I think that is the correct story because (1) the lady spoke with credibility, (2) she seemed a little fuzzy on the details this 50 years later, mentioning she recalled Richard Morris "had something to do with it," which also jives with Mary's story, (3) she is now an ordained minister as apparently Mary also mentioned, and (4) she would seem to be about the right age.

  44. #44
    Impressive research! I like it!

  45. #45
    Impressive Reese
    I was scratching my head for a minute !!!

  46. #46
    Reese, are you just a very informed fan? Or were you there? You know more than both sets of people! Heck, you know more than Diane can remember!

  47. #47
    I guess there was an earlier thread on the same subject which I hadn't seen, but Reese and Skooldem both seemed to recall the details, and Reese seemed to remember Mary's (slightly wrong) details from her book. Skooldem found the clip and posted it here.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Reese, are you just a very informed fan? Or were you there? You know more than both sets of people! Heck, you know more than Diane can remember!
    I've always loved to read so I've gleaned a lot of information over the years. But no, I was nowhere around when most of these events were taking place.

  49. #49
    Does anyone have a somewhat fairly recent picture of Barbara Martin like in the last 10-15 years ?

  50. #50
    Oh this is sad news. I'm sorry to learn of Barbara's passing. Thank you Billy for the information.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.