Views: 22981
Size:  36.9 KB

The only ones performances that I know of The Marvelettes on TV, are:

- Please Mr. Postman - Teen Town 1965
    - Too Many Fish In Sea - Teen Town 1965
    - Do not Mess With Bill - Hullabaloo 1965
    - Please Mr. Postman - Swingin 'Time 1966
    - Do not Mess With Bill - Swingin 'Time 1966

To me this is an performance, because the camera on the piscture... And would like to know what show is this performance?
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 12-13-2014 at 01:11 PM.

The Marvelettes sung I'll Keep Holding On - on British TV....here is a picture of them on Thank Your Lucky Stars

Name:  Marvelettes pic TYLS.jpg
Views: 7163
Size:  75.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    Name:  Marvelettes-007.jpg

To me this is an performance, because the camera on the piscture... And would like to know what show is this performance?
    They were on TV in the Netherlands during a European Tour. They may have appeared on other foreign programs during the 60's. Here in the States the best bet to find more Marvelettes tv is from local appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The Marvelettes sung I'll Keep Holding On - on British TV....here is a picture of them on Thank Your Lucky Stars

I was typing my response as you were posting this. Amazing and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Wow! I Love: "I'll Keep On Holding On" I Would love to see this! Rare Footage...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They were on TV in the Netherlands during a European Tour. They may have appeared on other foreign programs during the 60's. Here in the States the best bet to find more Marvelettes tv is from local appearances.
    They Never performed on Ready Steady Go?

smark21 Guest
    Didn't they perform either Please Mr. Postman or Twistin' Postman, or Playboy on American Bandstand?

They Never performed on Ready Steady Go?
    That is a good question. It would make sense that they did perform on it while on tour. For strange reason they were not a part of the Motortown Revue appearance with Dusty Springfield.

They were on American Bandstand in 1962. They were on Swingin' Time in 1968 too, I think.

Yes, June 18, 1965, they did appear on Ready, Steady, Go!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Thank you Johnny! I never saw it but I believed they would have gone on the show while in the U.K.

"To me this is an performance, because the camera on the piscture... And would like to know what show is this performance?"

We can see on it G!, would it be Shindig! ?

They didn`t appear on Shindig.

These video images of Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes are all new to me. Would sure love to see the choreography that was featured in these performances. By 1965/66. Cholly Atkins had the midas touch when it came to making the girls look Motown-classy -- and sexy! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-13-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Bumping this one for Copley, re: your post on the Motown Invasion thread.

You're not wrong : the Marvelettes were indeed on 'Thank Your Lucky Stars'...and I missed it....

Cheers Roger, I thought that my research showed that they did but I have never been able to find the clips. 'TYLS' was no doubt wiped immediately. RSG is perhaps in the vaults somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    "To me this is an performance, because the camera on the piscture... And would like to know what show is this performance?"

We can see on it G!, would it be Shindig! ?
    As someone else wrote, they never appeared on SHINDIG! But seeing the G! on the photo, this shot may be from READY, STEADY, GO!. I've seen other photos from their European tour where they were wearing these outfits and wigs.

Copley, that dratted Dave Clark may indeed have the 'RSG!' appearance in his own vaults somewhere....

Reese, you could be right [[I'd always imagined that the camera would have borne the long title 'Ready Steady Go' - so the 'o' would have had to be missing) but I seem to feel that Wanda [[at least) wore a different, shorter, more 'over-one-eye' wig on 'RSG!'.

To me, the photo on the back of the 'Pink' Marvelettes album looks like the same style as she wore on 'RSG!'. It was 50 years ago, so the memory plays tricks. Having never before seen The Marvelettes in performance, I do remember how tiny Wanda appeared against Gladys and Katherine, and how animated her eyebrows were, dancing up and down with a life of their own, to accentuate the vehement lyrics.

In fact, can anyone here say with certainty when that LP monochrome photo was taken? In my mind, now I come to think about it, it is just possible that they were wearing the same dresses on 'RSG!', and that the LP pic is taken from that performance? Not sure, as I don't think the microphones were present on the 'RSG!' appearance, and that the ladies just lip synced to the record.

While in the UK, the Marvelettes also made a radio appearance on a Radio Luxembourg programme [[or was it BBC Radio 'Pop In' - ?), and were interviewed by Keith Fordyce. "I'll now just wander over to Wanda.... " Perhaps the LP photo could have been taken at that time....but again, the mikes were unlikely to be present.

Enough rambling.....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-08-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

To me, the photo on the back of the 'Pink' Marvelettes album looks like the same style as she wore on 'RSG!'. It was 50 years ago, so the memory plays tricks. Having never before seen The Marvelettes in performance, I do remember how tiny Wanda appeared against Gladys and Katherine, and how animated her eyebrows were, dancing up and down with a life of their own, to accentuate the vehement lyrics.

In fact, can anyone here say with certainty when that LP monochrome photo was taken? In my mind, now I come to think about it, it is just possible that they were wearing the same dresses on 'RSG!', and that the LP pic is taken from that performance? Not sure, as I don't think the microphones were present on the 'RSG!' appearance, and that the ladies just lip synced to the record.
    I think the photo on the back of the "Pink" album" was taken from a concert, not a tv appearance. I've seen other photos that seem to have been taken at the same event and it looks like they are standing on a small stage, and I believe the dresses were full-length.
    Last edited by reese; 09-08-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Name:  Marvelettes-007.jpg

That's a crazy dynamic picture!

In the few TV clips I've seen, the gals were always lip-synching. The only footage I've ever seen where they're actually singing has been in the filmed 1963 Motortown Revue. Does anyone know if there are any other extant filmed or videotaped actual live performances? The only time I ever saw them live was in 1966 and they just sort of walked through the set. All the energy that was present in that 1963 film was absent.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    In the few TV clips I've seen, the gals were always lip-synching. The only footage I've ever seen where they're actually singing has been in the filmed 1963 Motortown Revue. Does anyone know if there are any other extant filmed or videotaped actual live performances? The only time I ever saw them live was in 1966 and they just sort of walked through the set. All the energy that was present in that 1963 film was absent.
    They sang live to track while performing DON'T MESS WITH BILL on Hullabaloo.

At the time of the first British tour which included Ready, Steady, Go, the group was not as hot as the Vandellas or the Supremes. They were also in a state of transition going from four to three members. It simply would have been too many girl groups on one tour. One executive at Motown said of the group at this time that Gordy was aggravated with all the transition in the group and they were never sure just who was available to be a Marvelette and who wasn't.

Had it not been for Smokey I don't think the Marvelettes would have survived past 1965. Clearly Gordy was finished with them but Smokey was interested in Wanda's voice [[she was married to fellow Miracle Bobby Rogers) and with Don't Mess With Bill he breathed new life into the trio. At the same time, he and other producers utilized the Andantes for backing vocalists to ease up the recording process.

If you think about it, the unexpected windfall of Please Mr. Postman should have cemented the group's future as Motown's top female act and their would have been no real interest in Vandellas or Supremes. But they simply didn't exhibit the glamour or vocal prowess of these other ladies.

Sadly, Gordy restricted their access to media and tv exposure. The Marvelettes just weren't as polished as the Vandellas and especially The Supremes. They made a rare national tv exposure on Hullabaloo to promote Don't Mess With Bill. They sang live to a backing track. If you listen to this performance, although their choreography was top notch and Wanda was in good voice, the backing vocals were off key. I love them, their music was top notch, but the smart money was on The Supremes so any money for promotion of this group was sucked up by the better investment.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    And according to this, Thank Your Lucky Stars on June 26, 1965 [[info only; sorry, no video):

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1426195/

For THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS devotees, here's some DVD info:

http://www.thevideobeat.com/rock-rol...cky-stars.html

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They sang live to track while performing DON'T MESS WITH BILL on Hullabaloo.
    Looking at it again, it does appear that Wanda is singling live. Not sure about Kat and Gladys. Clearly there are more than two voices on background so perhaps they were singing live, along with Andantes on track to sweeten the harmonies and augment the background. Still it's hard to discern exactly what's up. I know they didn't sound that good when I saw them a year later.

Hi Big Al, always great to read your postings. And yes, on Hullabaloo Kat and Gladys were singing along with the Andantes, a bit shrill. But damn, they had the moves. The choreography they learned for that song made them sexy

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Hi Big Al, always great to read your postings. And yes, on Hullabaloo Kat and Gladys were singing along with the Andantes, a bit shrill. But damn, they had the moves. The choreography they learned for that song made them sexy
    During this "transitional" period, the kittenish moves and even the big hair bows were fine, and I always enjoyed the earlier sharp-edged and sometimes dissonant backup harmonies. Mrs. Powell should have stopped right then and not tried to gloss-and-glam them up any further. They weren't the Supremes after all, and trying to force them into that mold was a big mistake, regardless of Gordy's insistence that all his acts be as slick and sophisticated as possible. By the time I saw them in '66 they had been stuffed into evening gowns with marabou accents in which they were clearly uncomfortable [[for an afternoon performance no less), and all the act's previous energy was gone, or more likely toned down by edict. Wanda had taken to wearing an odd wig with bangs cut into a point in the middle of her forehead and was putting glitter on her face, and Gladys had on a friggin' tiara! I mean WTF? Kat seemed horribly ill-at-ease there next to those two and the whole thing was regrettable.

I've seen those photos. Al, do you recall if they ever performed My Baby Must Be A Magician live? I love that song as much now as the first time I heard it on the radio

At the time I saw them, the only time, they were on a small-scale Motortown Revue which opened with Willie & Lester, followed by The Contours, then the Marvelettes, and finally the Tempts. "You're the One" had just recently bombed and they had't gotten their second wind with "Hunter," "Young & In Love" and "Magician." I'm sure they would have included those in the later years and I can only guess that their stage act might have improved with those hits under their belts. It was probably just a bad period for them when I saw them.

RossHolloway Guest
    During this "transitional" period, the kittenish moves and even the big hair bows were fine, and I always enjoyed the earlier sharp-edged and sometimes dissonant backup harmonies. Mrs. Powell should have stopped right then and not tried to gloss-and-glam them up any further. They weren't the Supremes after all, and trying to force them into that mold was a big mistake, regardless of Gordy's insistence that all his acts be as slick and sophisticated as possible. By the time I saw them in '66 they had been stuffed into evening gowns with marabou accents in which they were clearly uncomfortable [[for an afternoon performance no less), and all the act's previous energy was gone, or more likely toned down by edict. Wanda had taken to wearing an odd wig with bangs cut into a point in the middle of her forehead and was putting glitter on her face, and Gladys had on a friggin' tiara! I mean WTF? Kat seemed horribly ill-at-ease there next to those two and the whole thing was regrettable.
    Berry Gordy wanted his acts to be able to cross-over and play at the top supper clubs, Vegas, television and any place across America and around the world. Some acts were able to adjust and fit into Gordy's mold, and some didn't. Now guess which ones were the biggest stars?

In the beginning they were by far the most talented Motown girl group, they were HOT !

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    In the beginning they were by far the most talented Motown girl group, they were HOT !
    My sentiments exactly. The rough edges were appropriate. Toning down all that energy was really a mistake. At their ages they could have worked that super kinetic act for a good many years before mellowing. Seems like they were made to change everything around fairly abruptly at about the time Georgeanna dropped out and they became a trio. I suppose it was just assumed that The Supremes' formula would work with any of the label's girl groups but clearly it did not. The Marvelettes could have held their own niche quite nicely, even if they would not be greeting crowned heads and gigging at Vegas clubs, but that wasn't Gordy's focus. They gave him the label's first Number One and he thanked them by making them change their act all around and then gambling away the rights to their name, and probably all because he felt they weren't refined enough.

I wonder if the guy who jumped up on the stage with them in the Revue clip was a plant.

Al do you have any memories of Patti Jerome [[PJ)? She cut a great track "Tender Loving Care."

I wonder if the guy who jumped up on the stage with them in the Revue clip was a plant.
    I recall a conversation with Katherine about this incident. The guy in the audience was NOT a plant. In fact, he was being watched very carefully from the sides by Motown people who had already spotted him acting up. Beans Bowles in particular was most worried and alerted others. He got security involved and they were getting ready to diffuse a potential dangerous situation but the guy suddenly and unexpectedly jumped on stage. Fortunately Wanda seemed to make it look as though it was all a bit of fun but behind the scenes, there were some very worried people.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 09-18-2015 at 05:02 AM.

When the Marvelettes were in full performing mode, they were doing up to 7...yes SEVEN shows a day.

They would have enjoyed it, but that's still hard work.

Seven shows a day! That's nearly as many as we're doing right here, right now on SDF, 50 years later......LOL

My memory is not so good these days. A couple of years ago I was in contact with someone re the Marvelettes on TV and he said that he had a part of a clip of the girls performing 'The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game' that he would try to find for me. Well of course I have forgotten who it was and what show they were on! Can anyone please help re the show?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Al do you have any memories of Patti Jerome [[PJ)? She cut a great track "Tender Loving Care."
    Wow...I remember hearing the song but never knew who it was before now. To me it has more of a Carolina Beach sound than classic Hitsvile. I see she co-wrote it with Gloria Jones and Pam Sawyer. I have a VIP single she did titled "[[I've Given You) The Best Years of My Life" [[later covered by Martha & Vandellas) which I've always enjoyed. Thanks for the memory and the artist info.
    Last edited by BigAl; 09-18-2015 at 06:06 PM.

I have to disagree.If my memory serves me right,when I saw the original Motown Revue at the Uptown Theatre in Philly in 1964,the guy jumped on stage there too.There was some "talk" that it was actually one of The Contours in disguise.

The Marvelettes preformed Hunter and Ill Keep On Holding On on The Clay Cole Show in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    The Marvelettes preformed Hunter and Ill Keep On Holding On on The Clay Cole Show in NYC.
    Mike, how are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Thanks for this

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mike, how are you?"
    Im good . Still in Florida. Ill give u a call soon take care

I saw the Marvelettes LIVE in Nov. 1966 on the Otis Redding Show at Orlando Municipal Auditorium, they were co-stars of that tour. They were great.I do remember they had their own guitarist, that acted as their musical director, and ofcourse the Otis Redding Band [[not Barkays) backed everyone[[James & Bobby Purify, Aaron Neville, Loraine Ellison). Wanda, Kat & Gladys had on purple glittery short dresses, they came out doin "Barefootin'" same arrangement that would be on their 1967 LP, a medly of hits, Too Many Fish & then closed with Don't Mess With Bill. They were great and no Andantes were behind the curtain, LOL

I saw them at the howard in[68]with the dells and they were great.

Worth another look:

Great video! Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Didn't they perform either Please Mr. Postman or Twistin' Postman, or Playboy on American Bandstand?
    Yes, they did appear on American Bandstand in 1962. There is a photo of them with Dick Clark and Barney Ales of Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Worth another look:

That was very nice and thank you.