[REMOVE ADS]

Post Top 10 - The Supremes Rarest Footages

I recently post on my channel on Youtube, some rare excerpts of The Supremes Farewell in Las Vegas 1970, and other rare footage of The Supremes, so i decided to make a list of: The most rarest supremes footages. #1 Diana Ross and The Supremes Farewell Concert 1970#2 The Happening and Lady Is A Tramp / Let's Get Away From It All on Tonight Show 1967#3 Diana Ross and The Supremes on Gala Du Midem 1968#4 Somewhere on Tonight Show in 1968#5 Children's Christmas Song on Hullabaloo in 1965#6 Funny Girl Medley on T.C.B [[unreleased but recorded) #7 Sam You Made The Pants Too Long on Bob Hope 1968#8 Nathan Jones on Merv Griffin 1971#9 Where Did Our Love Go on TOTP 1964#10 The Supremes Arrid Deoderant Commercial 1967. How would your list of The Supremes rarest footages? Sorry if my english its rard to understand

I would think that any of their Tonight Show appearances would be rare, as I've never seen any of them either in clips or bootlegged. The Ice Capades special is another. And any appearances that the made on local tv in the various places they visited.

I thought they did Nathan Joneds on the tonight show

Diana era
    all of their Tonight Show stuff. according to Mary's book they did the Today Show a few times too. there are more Merv Griffing tapes and Mike Douglas too, from the 60s.

JMC era
    The Ford Theater performance with MJC.
    Touch on Flip Wilson.
    Pearl Bailey special
    Mike Douglas UP the Ladder
    David Frost video.

Scherrie Era
    i know some fans have mentioned another Dinah Shore performance from MSS era. supposedly one of the very last ones, along with the Let Yourself Go and Heart of Me clip from Mike Douglas. not sure if they sang Driving Wheel on Dinah or Let Yourself. someone commented that their outfits were hideous. some sort of fringe things lol

TCB
    there's a bit of footage from TCB - Lovelight, Mas Que Nada and Funny Girl. not to mention the whole 2nd taping. check out Diana's wig change as she walks down the ramp at the very beginning

1970 Farewell

1977 Farewell - there's the bootleg of the audio. i'm assuming that's only a portion of the show though, edited for broadcast. not sure if there was a video too

[ATTACH]8782
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Diana era
    all of their Tonight Show stuff. according to Mary's book they did the Today Show a few times too. there are more Merv Griffing tapes and Mike Douglas too, from the 60s.

JMC era
    Touch on Flip Wilson.
    Pearl Bailey special
    David Frost video.

Scherrie Era
    i know some fans have mentioned another Dinah Shore performance from MSS era. supposedly one of the very last ones, along with the Let Yourself Go and Heart of Me clip from Mike Douglas. not sure if they sang Driving Wheel on Dinah or Let Yourself. someone commented that their outfits were hideous. some sort of fringe things lol

TCB
    there's a bit of footage from TCB - Lovelight, Mas Que Nada and Funny Girl. not to mention the whole 2nd taping. check out Diana's wig change as she walks down the ramp at the very beginning

1970 Farewell

1977 Farewell - there's the bootleg of the audio. i'm assuming that's only a portion of the show though, edited for broadcast. not sure if there was a video too
    Footages of T.C.B? Tell me more!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 12-08-2014 at 03:41 PM.

watch very closely at the very beginning of TCB. DMC each walk down a ramp towards the elevated stage. then when diana hits the center she spins around and starts the song. the wig she's wearing on her walk in is different from the wig she "sings" in meaning that they had 2 tapings of the show. also there are pics of her in a different wig while in the butterfly gowns, again 2 tapings. i would frankly doubt that there's too much difference between the two other than minor camera shots, expressions, maybe she looked better in 1 vs another, etc.

i have an audio tape of Lovelight. it would have been in the segment of the show with With A Song and the Come See About Me medley. these portions of the show were live. unlike medley with the Temps where they sing Respect, Eleanor Rigby, Mrs Robinson, etc. and i believe Funny Girl would have been lip synced too. look at your picture above - there's that plexiglass background and you can't see the orchestra or the audience. i believe these segments were all lip synced and they're in a studio taping them.

in Randy's book he mentions Don McKayle working with M and C with choreography and teasing them about their parts in Symphony. also theres a story about the girls fighting while taping the Symphony segment of the show. Diana complained that M and C were singing flat but Cindy informed her that their audios were pre taped. IMO i think the story has accidentally moved to a different part of the show. My opinion is that when you see the orchestra on stage, they're singing live. there's no way M and C could have been singing to a tape that was perfectly coordinated with a live playing orchestra. it's when you can't see the orchestra that they're lip syncing. and maybe then only diana was live

also in GIT the girls do a much longer medley, of which only the 2 Porgy and Bess songs were aired in the special. the entire medley is out there on bootleg and there must be footage of the entire performance

Those Broadway Songs
    *intro saluting famous broadway composers - trio
    *Mad about the man - trio
    *remember - M and C
    *little girl blue - diana
    *porgy and bess - trio
    *closing - trio

Steve Allen Show '64-"I Am Woman"
    Lloyd Thaxton '64-"Baby Love" and "Come See About Me"
    Lloyd Thaxton '64-"Come See About Me" [[again)
    Mike Douglas May '65-"Stop In the Name Of Love" and "Back In My Arms Again"
    Tonight Show August '66-"You Can't Hurry Love"
    A week of Mike Douglas in July '66, songs I've heard they performed-"Stop In the Name Of Love", "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You", "Yesterday", "More", "Baby Love", "Somewhere", "Let There Be Love"
    The Ice Capades '67-apparently they did "You Can't Hurry Love"
    Mike Douglas May or June '67-I think technically this was Florence's last television appearance with the group
    Tonight Show or Mike Douglas '69-"Someday We'll Be Together"

There's so many more.

OMG!!! sup_fan Why don't you upload the audio of Lovelight on YouTube?

In some photos of the FUNNY GIRL medley and the Supremes/Tempts medley with A TASTE OF HONEY/MRS. ROBINSON, etc., from TCB, you can see overhead mikes. So there are parts of those medleys that are indeed live. And then on the latter medley, for some reason, they give Diana and Paul mikes to sign RESPECT, so I'm assuming that one at least is live.

It is possible to sync up a tape with a live playing orchestra and vocalists on stage. Portions of MOTOWN 25 were pre-recorded in that fashion. And during her AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS live concert, when she sang LOVE HANGOVER, all of a sudden in the second verse, she took a sip of water, yet her voice was still heard because the tape was perfectly sync'd with the live musicians. Usually when this happens, the conductor puts on headphones and he can hear a click track that signals him when to begin cueing the musicians. I can't see the conductor on TCB, so it is hard to say if that was the case for this show.

1975 Appearance on British program "Supersonic". I saw it when it aired in Detroit on WXYZ CH. 7 one morning by accident. It was great and always hoped to see that one again.

I have the "Lovelight" segment from TCB too and I'd upload it to YouTube if I knew how to do it lol. Diana says in the beginning of the song "Remember this one?", I guess she was saying that to Mary.

What they sang?

Record the audio with your cel!!!! Many supremes fans wanna hear it...
    Last edited by Weslley Francisco; 12-08-2014 at 04:33 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    On the Supremes & Temps complete studio album set they include an Opening Medley of Supreme hits, plus one additional medley that was also cut from the final version of TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    What they sang?
    They did "He's My Man" with all this confetti and glitter raining down on them LOL!

The one I want to see is the Jan 1972 appearance on merv when they did Floy Joy and Where you lead

LOL Would be nice see this!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They did "He's My Man" with all this confetti and glitter raining down on them LOL!
    Didn't they TOTP during that same trip?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Diana era

JMC era
    Touch on Flip Wilson.
    Pearl Bailey special
    David Frost video.

Scherrie Era

TCB

1970 Farewell

I looked up the dinah dates. it looks like they were there Aug 9, 1976 and Feb 9, 1977
    I think someone was mistaken when it was mentioned that they did Nathan Jones on Merv. I see the Nov 16, 1970 and their next apperance on there was Jan 27, 1972.
    I also see that they did David Frost on June 29, 1972. Im guessing it was Lynda's first TV show with the Supremes. I also see that they appeared on the Barbra Mc Nair show March 15, 1970.

I recently post on my channel on Youtube, some rare excerpts of The Supremes Farewell in Las Vegas 1970, and other rare footage of The Supremes, so i decided to make a list of: The most rarest supremes footages. #1 Diana Ross and The Supremes Farewell Concert 1970#2 The Happening and Lady Is A Tramp / Let's Get Away From It All on Tonight Show 1967#3 Diana Ross and The Supremes on Gala Du Midem 1968#4 Somewhere on Tonight Show in 1968#5 Children's Christmas Song on Hullabaloo in 1965#6 Funny Girl Medley on T.C.B [[unreleased but recorded) #7 Sam You Made The Pants Too Long on Bob Hope 1968#8 Nathan Jones on Merv Griffin 1971#9 Where Did Our Love Go on TOTP 1964#10 The Supremes Arrid Deoderant Commercial 1967. How would your list of The Supremes rarest footages? Sorry if my english its rard to understand
    Tehy did Nathan Jones on the Tonight show May 5. 1971

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I looked up the dinah dates. it looks like they were there Aug 9, 1976 and Feb 9, 1977
    I think someone was mistaken when it was mentioned that they did Nathan Jones on Merv. I see the Nov 16, 1970 and their next apperance on there was Jan 27, 1972.
    I also see that they did David Frost on June 29, 1972. Im guessing it was Lynda's first TV show with the Supremes. I also see that they appeared on the Barbra Mc Nair show March 15, 1970.
    On the January 27, 1972 Merv Griffin, they didn't sing Nathan Jones.. they were presented a gold record for Nathan Jones. Jean, Mary, and Cindy sang Floy Joy.

They've been repeating Supersonic episodes in Europe, hopefully that 1975 Supremes episode will come up! I'm also wanting to get the JML appearance on "They Sold A Million". We know that show DOES still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    They've been repeating Supersonic episodes in Europe, hopefully that 1975 Supremes episode will come up! I'm also wanting to get the JML appearance on "They Sold A Million". We know that show DOES still exist.
    Jill, I hope so. I can remember the time I saw it was Saturday morning and I just happen to flip on the TV in the basement and they were just starting. At that time I had never heard of that show before.

Marv, I'm seeing some conflicting info... a couple episode guides don't list them... but one does. Also, the guests on the episode that lists them does not match up with any episodes in the other guides. But I could have SWORN I've seen a still photograph of the performance! I think Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy are wearing street clothes, not gowns. I'll be getting to the bottom of this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I looked up the dinah dates. it looks like they were there Aug 9, 1976 and Feb 9, 1977I think someone was mistaken when it was mentioned that they did Nathan Jones on Merv. I see the Nov 16, 1970 and their next apperance on there was Jan 27, 1972.I also see that they did David Frost on June 29, 1972. Im guessing it was Lynda's first TV show with the Supremes. I also see that they appeared on the Barbra Mc Nair show March 15, 1970.
    I've heard that Lynda's first appearance with the group was on The Sonny And Cher Comedy Hour, singing: Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love

I've heard that Lynda's first appearance with the group was on The Sonny And Cher Comedy Hour, singing: Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love
    thats what i thought but the 2nd David Frost Appearance is in the time frame as lynda debut

Name:  theysoldamillion.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  50.7 KB This is the still picture from "They Sold A Million".

They are singing Bad Weather?

They are singing Bad Weather?
    No clue... but when someone appears on that show, they usually sing SEVERAL songs. The clips I've seen, the acts are on for 10-12 minutes.

Do you ever wonder how "rare" these clips really are?

It wasn't that long ago that a Carson performance popped up out of no where; long thought to have been lost or erased. Indeed I think plenty of these survive, in vast collections of superfans.

It's a shame more of these aren't out there of the world to see. What good are they doing if no one can enjoy them?
    Last edited by marybrewster; 12-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.

I think alot of times, some of us just assume that many have seen these clips. Sometimes, things surface because a clip is used on an infomercial or something, and then a screening copy gets out to collectors [[that's what happened with the Smokey Robinson special) Some are things that are known to exist in archives, but have never been rebroadcast.

i remember quite a few years ago [[perhaps late 90s even) that a bunch of the 70's era Mike Douglas shows surfaced cuz some enterprising fan was working there. if my memory serves me right, he'd transferred the all to tape and then they made the rounds with the fans.

i myself called Motown in 96 and, after a few transfers here and there, got hold of someone. i told them i was a student doing research on the classic motown era and was interested in getting a copy of TCB and/or GIT. they said it would be $100 and they'd have their film dept transfer a copy to tape. the check was made out to Motown [[not to some sneaky secretary lol) and i got TCB. perfect quality too and includes the Timex commercials too

I believe West Grand Media has copies of all of their TV appearances. At least their 60's appearances. It may explain why the 1967 Tonight Show performance appeared in Diana's 1977 TV special. The Carson website states it has all of the shows from 1962 to 1992, but I think it's a mistake as NBC erased all of the pre-1972 shows with a few exceptions. It's possible more survived than originally believed. There's a clip of Marvin & Tammi on YouTube from 1967. Most likely from the same day of their Today Show appearance. It would be interesting to know if NBC erased the early Today Shows as well. The Supremes made an appearance in 1966.

Marv, I'm seeing some conflicting info... a couple episode guides don't list them... but one does. Also, the guests on the episode that lists them does not match up with any episodes in the other guides. But I could have SWORN I've seen a still photograph of the performance! I think Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy are wearing street clothes, not gowns. I'll be getting to the bottom of this.
    Jill several years ago I found a very small piece of information about the show and their appearance on it. I do remember they were not in street clothes but in their usual sparkly dresses with all of this confetti and glittering showering them as they performed the song mounted on a smaller type podium I believe. I thought it was great and funny at the same time.

Jill several years ago I found a very small piece of information about the show and their appearance on it. I do remember they were not in street clothes but in their usual sparkly dresses with all of this confetti and glittering showering them as they performed the song mounted on a smaller type podium I believe. I thought it was great and funny at the same time.
    I saw a picture of them on a plexiglas platform in street clothes, and I'm pretty sure it was this one [[You can see the multi level platform good in this clip)

It's possible the still picture I saw was from something else, or from a rehearsal or something. I thought I saw the picture here?

I saw a picture of them on a plexiglas platform in street clothes, and I'm pretty sure it was this one [[You can see the multi level platform good in this clip)

It's possible the still picture I saw was from something else, or from a rehearsal or something. I thought I saw the picture here?
    Jill I know the picture you are talking about. It was from rehearsal and yeah the plexiglass platform is something I remember. Thanks for this clip and the one with the 5th Dimension over on the main forum

Jill, is this the pic or one similar to this one?

I saw their Supersonic appearance, but I vaguely recall them wearing blue dresses. I also remember Leo Sayer appearing, although maybe that was another episode.

Jill, is this the pic or one similar to this one?

Yes!! That is the picture I was thinking of. Notice the hands on the hips... certainly seems like the choreography for "He's My Man".

Yes!! That is the picture I was thinking of. Notice the hands on the hips... certainly seems like the choreography for "He's My Man".
    That's from rehearsal for the show. They had them presented like it was New Year's Eve in Times Square! LOL! They were in sparkling costumes being showered with glitter, confetti, streamers etc while singing and dancing [[they were getting down! LOL!) around that plexigass stage.

That's from rehearsal for the show. They had them presented like it was New Year's Eve in Times Square! LOL! They were in sparkling costumes being showered with glitter, confetti, streamers etc while singing and dancing [[they were getting down! LOL!) around that plexigass stage.
    Yeah, that show did the confetti thing every show, depending on what act was on. It was a pretty good show.

Yeah, that show did the confetti thing every show, depending on what act was on. It was a pretty good show.
    I kinda of miss shows that had live performances by the artists. Shows like Midnight Special etc.

Petition to The Supremes 1970 Farewell in DVD - https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...DVD/share/?new