[REMOVE ADS]

Wolfe on Rare Earth

Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.

King Harvest had a huge hit with this song in '72.

Great song! My husband Johnny Rivers did a version of it was well but this version is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    King Harvest had a huge hit with this song in '72.
    Yes! yes! I liked that song and remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Great song! My husband Johnny Rivers did a version of it was well but this version is the best.
    Stephanie - Your husband, THE JOHNNY RIVERS? If so, I'm hyped, as I've purchased some of his albums on CD in the last year and the man did a song GOOD! I got his Slim Slo Slider and Home Grown double CD. Howard in Long Beach, CA

Wolfe Funny Funny. Song written by Nicky Chinn and Michael Chapman and a UK hit for Sweet in 1971. The Wolfe album was released on Motown's Rare Earth label in the USA in July 1972. One single was released from the album in the UK - this being the cover of "Dancing In The Moonlight" on Rare Earth RES108.

Producers: Nick Ryan and John Pantry
    Recording Engineers: Hugh Jones and Chris West
    Mixing Engineer: Mike Claydon

Recorded at I.B.C. Sound Studios, London U.K.

In Association with Jerry Ross Productions Inc.

Album design: Maurer Productions

Wolf are:

John Richmond: lead guitar, banjo, piano
    John Pantry: keyboards
    Nick Ryan: bass guitar
    Mike Wade: drums, vocals
    Robin Slater: rhythm guitar, vocals

I find it intriguing how an album recorded in the UK was released only in America - and on Motown's Rare Earth label at that. The UK just got the single "Dancing In The Moonlight". Also intriguing I think is the Jerry Ross connection.

Mad fact - Nick Ryan is responsible for the lyrics to the UK TV advert "Just One Cornetto" from 1974.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-08-2023 at 07:20 PM.

Attachment 20680

Wolfe on the back of their US 1972 Album, Motown had also planned the US Motown 45 issue on: Rare Earth 5049F "Ballard Of The Unloved" & "Tale Of Two Cities" [Neither of the two 45 tracks were included on the Album]

Sadly the 45 was pulled and never issued, however both sides were finally issued on the last and final "TCMS Set Vol.12B:1972" in 2013.
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-10-2023 at 08:07 AM.

According to Wicki Jerry Ross worked with Motown for about a year.

Jerry co-wrote "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" with Kenny Gamble and produced a version by Dee Dee Warwick which included Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson on backing vocals - they were also on versions by Jerry Butler and Jay and The Techniques.

According to The Motown Encyclopedia, when Motown were considering releaseing IGMYLM as a single by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations he called and spoke to Jerry Ross to inform him. Later Berry Gordy signed up Jerry Ross's production company so as to give Motown a presence in the New York area. Jerry Ross brought a number of artists to Motown including The Courtships, Crystal Mansion and The Festivals [[and so it seems also Wolfe).

Motown released an album in August 1972 - "The Jerry Ross Symposium Volume 2" featuring middle of the road versions of songs [[actually arranged by Claus Ogerman). This has been released on a Sequel CD along with Volume 1 - see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57678298157138

Although Jerry Ross's Colossus label released product by some Dutch rock bands it doesn't seem like there was any connection with the Honest Men release on VIP "Cherie"/"Baby" from 1969.

The Wolfe album was made available on CD by Big Pink [[South Korea) - you can see this here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720308121632

Big Pink also released the album by Crystal Mansion - see here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57689220415930
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-10-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    According to Wicki Jerry Ross worked with Motown for about a year.

Jerry co-wrote "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" with Kenny Gamble and produced a version by Dee Dee Warwick which included Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson on backing vocals - they were also on versions by Jerry Butler and Jay and The Techniques.

According to The Motown Encyclopedia, when Motown were considering releaseing IGMYLM as a single by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations he called and spoke to Jerry Ross to inform him. Later Berry Gordy signed up Jerry Ross's production company so as to give Motown a presence in the New York area. Jerry Ross brought a number of artists to Motown including The Courtships, Crystal Mansion and The Festivals [[and so it seems also Wolfe).

Motown released an album in August 1972 - "The Jerry Ross Symposium Volume 2" featuring middle of the road versions of songs [[actually arranged by Claus Ogerman). This has been released on a Sequel CD along with Volume 1 - see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57678298157138

Although Jerry Ross's Colossus label released product by some Dutch rock bands it doesn't seem like there was any connection with the Honest Men release on VIP "Cherie"/"Baby" from 1969.

The Wolfe album was made available on CD by Big Pink [[South Korea) - you can see this here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720308121632

Big Pink also released the album by Crystal Mansion - see here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57689220415930
    I wanted to "Like" this great post, but the SDF software won't allow me to.

Sheesh!

You're too kind Sotosound - thank you - it's hard not to be enthusiastic about Motown and its connections. Sadly I can't post my photos on the forum since I ran out of bandwidth years ago so have to direct to my Flickr site.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Attachment 20680

Wolfe on the back of their US 1972 Album, Motown had also planned the US Motown 45 issue on: Rare Earth 5049F "Ballard Of The Unloved" & "Tale Of Two Cities" [Neither of the two 45 tracks were included on the Album]

Sadly the 45 was pulled and never issued, however both sides were finally issued on the last and final "TCMS Set Vol.12B:1972" in 2013.
    Thanks for your post. I had forgotten about TCMS. The two Jerry Ross Symposium singles also appear on Volume 12B

Disc 1
    Duck You Sucker
    It Happened On A Sunday Morning

Disc 5
    It's The Same Old Love
    Take It Out On Me

Two great tracks & two of my favourites, by the "Courtship" thanks to Jerry Ross & Berry Gordy. Tamla 54217 Jun1972

The other Missing 45 Motown 54227 Oct 1972 was to be also by the Courtship[s]: "Love Ain't Love [Till You Give It Somebody]" & "Oops It Just Slipped Out" but for some reason unissued by Motown, then issued on "Glades 1710" 1972. Check out the two Glades tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOVOxFGnYYhttps://
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xbmz5he2mI
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-11-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Arranged by Tommy Bell - I like that - aka Thom Bell. "It's The Same Old Love" does have something about it [[though they may be trying too hard with the Delfonics phraseology). Jerry Ross must have thought it had legs since an instrumental was also included on "The Jerry Ross Symposium 2".

"Last Row First Balcony" seems a bit of a mess to me. However, "Oops It Just Slipped Out" and "Love Ain't Love" aren't bad really - these were released in the UK on Jonathan King's UK label. All 4 tracks are on TCMS including a stereo promo of "It's The Same Old Love" on TCMS12a.

I know there was a Jerry Ross connection, but how did the Wolfe album get picked up for release on the Rare Earth label? Did Motown decree which label would release it? Was there some kind of bidding process?