[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just A Teaser! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, but after seeing Ralph’s link for XIT’s End? in the other Rare Earth thread, I decided to provide a few of my own here. Hope you like them. [[Produced by Tom Bee along with Ralph & Russ Terrana!)

From XIT’s PLIGHT OF THE RED MAN CD [[Rare Earth/Soar Records) [[String arrangements by David Van DePitte; Back-up vocals by Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[pre-Tony Orlando & Dawn), and a girl named Bunny):

Beginning/End? [[Uploaded to YouTube by Bucky Tuckfield. Bucky somehow managed to seque the first track [[Beginning) and the last track [[End?) – and he did it beautifully, I might add. If only it were uploaded a bit louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jC1KOOeKK4

I Was Raised [[Uploaded to YouTube by Leo Kountouris)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xJO3E_E3hc

End? [[Finale, by itself) [[My personal favorite.) [[Uploaded to YouTube by Hupababy83)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMdALV5gxNw

From XIT’s SILENT WARRIOR CD [[Rare Earth/Soar Records) [[String arrangements by Tom Baird and Gene Page)

Reservation Of Education [[Uploaded to YouTube by EKBelam7000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qguSNTO7Mc

Birth [[Uploaded to YouTube by Twinmonsterslayer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQKKjpfDnwI

Cement Prairie [[Uploaded by XIT - Topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRYJlO9KAA

Anthem Of The America Indian [[Uploaded to YouTube by XIT - Topic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEFJ3W4bpMs

I hope y’all enjoy these XIT Motown/Rare Earth/Soar Records tracks as much as I am. It’s the best new [[new to me) music I’ve heard in a LONG time. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-05-2014 at 04:03 PM.

What a great thread. I didn't know about the Rare Earth Live in Chicago album. I'm pretty sure I have XIT's first LP but not the second, but I may have never listened to it. [[I'm sure I bought it years after their stint with Motown when I was collecting all Rare Earth label titles.)

I'm going to seek out the links above to hear more of XIT's music and also plan to purchase the new Rare Earth LP.

Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these.

Thanks guys!

"Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these."

There was a CD compilation done of the Mowest label done a year or two ago that was a good starting point for that label, so maybe there will be one for Rare Earth. As far as I can tell, there were two problems getting this off the ground. If you collected the Complete Motown Singles packages, you will know that several of the Rare Earth single releases were omitted because of licensing issues – they had originally been released by EMI in Europe and issued by Rare Earth in the US under a licensing agreement. Since Universal has now bought most of EMI that may not be an issue any more, although I’ve been speaking to a couple of artists who had previously recorded for EMI and their product is now controlled by Warner Brothers [[WB bought the Parlophone label and, seemingly, some if not all of the Columbia label).

The second issue is Universal itself – would a Rare Earth label compilation sell well enough to justify the time and effort? If it wouldn’t [[and I have no way of knowing what kind of figures Universal would require to even break even), then are Universal prepared to licence out to anyone else?

@hotspurman, I hope there is deemed a market for such a release. I'm often amazed by some labels which get anthologized nowadays. I love late 60s acid/psych/fuzz/prog rock and there's so many anthologies of various labels [[Liberty, for example, as well as labels which were fairly obscure even back then such as Mainstream) of this type of music. Rare Earth certainly has a worthy lineage as being part of Motown.

Liberty had a couple big acts but Mainstream had none, and there's a great double CD out of theirs called "With Love...A Pot of Flowers." So hopefully, one day someone will see fit to anthologize RE!

I have to admit, I bought the Mowest anthology [[on vinyl!) but don't think I've played it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a great thread. I didn't know about the Rare Earth Live in Chicago album. I'm pretty sure I have XIT's first LP but not the second, but I may have never listened to it. [[I'm sure I bought it years after their stint with Motown when I was collecting all Rare Earth label titles.)

I'm going to seek out the links above to hear more of XIT's music and also plan to purchase the new Rare Earth LP.

Now what we really need is a great 2 or 3 CD anthology of the Rare Earth label! I imagine there are lots of hidden gems we don't know about in addition to these.

Thanks guys!
    Thanks, Kenneth. And you're very welcome! I, too, would like to see a 2-3-CD Various-Artist box set devoted to Motown's Rare Earth records. Keep the faith -- stranger things have been known to happen! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-05-2014 at 04:01 PM.

And I, for one, can't wait for this album to be re-issued on CD. after all Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus. Nice organ actually.

Whilst we're at it - here's the other side.....

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And I, for one, can't wait for this album to be re-issued on CD. after all Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus. Nice organ actually.
    You’re right, mysterysinger – Sounds Nice’s "Love At First Sight" is a really nice track which I had never heard before. Yes, the organ makes it unique, and I especially like it when the strings come in. [[I’m a sucker for Motown string passages.)

The Sounds Nice recording you uploaded here sounds so master-tape-worthy, I checked it out on Amazon. Lo and behold, the song "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice is available as a download. Unfortunately, it’s not the complete Motown/Rare Earth album. It’s merely one track [[Track 16) on a non-Motown Various-Artist compilation. But, for now, it’s better than nothing....and I'm buying it! Thanks for making me aware! - Gary

Here’s the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dm_ws_sp_ps_dp
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Mysterysinger, I just made an official request to Harry for SOUNDS NICE's "Love At First Sight" album in the thread titled "Our CD/Download Want List For Harry". Not sure it will do any good due to licensing problems inherent with some Rare Earth-label product, but we'll see what happens. - Gary

WOW, I recently downloaded some Rare Earth albums and then started looking at the Rare Earth label... and found this thread...

Well can I just say I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn... I had never even given Xit a listen before, and I kinda like them. The Crystal Mansion I like too, great lead voice.

However, Toe Fat, wtf is going on there? Oh my the album cover... weird weird weird. Phew... and The Power Of Zeus... hard psychedelic rock... experimental for Motown or what. Oh and Dan The Banjo Man... absolute madness...

interesting stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    WOW, I recently downloaded some Rare Earth albums and then started looking at the Rare Earth label... and found this thread...

Well can I just say I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn... I had never even given Xit a listen before, and I kinda like them. The Crystal Mansion I like too, great lead voice.

However, Toe Fat, wtf is going on there? Oh my the album cover... weird weird weird. Phew... and The Power Of Zeus... hard psychedelic rock... experimental for Motown or what. Oh and Dan The Banjo Man... absolute madness...

interesting stuff
    Hey Tom! I, too, love XIT! I bought both of their CDs and love them -- especially their first album that Ralph produced. Another Rare Earth-label favorite is Stoney & Meatloaf [[also produced by Ralph) i love every track but two.

Where did you see the Rare Earth catalog available as downloads?

XIT 'Silent Warrior': Tom Baird

Name:  Tom Baird small jpg.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  39.2 KB

Shout out, too, for the man with music running through his veins [[and Vancouver's finest), Tom Baird, who arranged the strings on ''We Live'', ''Awakening'', ''Birth'', ''Cement Prairie'' and ''Anthem Of The American Indian'', while Gene Page arranged the woodwinds to add an extra dimension on these tracks for XIT's 'Silent Warrior' album.
    Last edited by TomBairdFan; 01-12-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    WOW...I didn’t realise how many groups there were on the label! Damn...
    ...check this out ...from the BSNPUBS / Motown site...

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/rareearth/rareearth.html

Grape

Gary, you may not be aware, but the album "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice has already been released on CD in Japan, back in early 1915; I think by Warner Brothers. I'm sure copies can still be obtained, but as is always the case with these relatively obscure items, it's going to be fairly expensive to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Gary, you may not be aware, but the album "Love At First Sight" by Sounds Nice has already been released on CD in Japan, back in early 1915; I think by Warner Brothers. I'm sure copies can still be obtained, but as is always the case with these relatively obscure items, it's going to be fairly expensive to purchase.
    Wow, all the way back in 1915? Well, I imagine my bud Gary wants a CD, not a shellac disc or something along those lines. LOL

I remember buying "Love at First Sight" by Sounds Nice on CD but I don't recall what label released it.

It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany .

http://www.discogs.com/Dan-The-Banjo...elease/4006727

Click on the album cover and you'll be able to see more images including one of the label.
    The Dan The Banjo Man CD was released by a label just 12 miles down the road from me Angel Air back in 2004

Just something to point out is that Rare Earth albums [[the group) are being issued as mini-LPs [[my favourite format) by Culture Factory and in chronological order too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wow, all the way back in 1915? Well, I imagine my bud Gary wants a CD, not a shellac disc or something along those lines. LOL
    HaHa! I already have that CD, Kenny! And it's not even a cylinder!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Thanks, motownjohnny, but I already have that CD. It's on the Parlophone label.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    I remember buying "Love at First Sight" by Sounds Nice on CD but I don't recall what label released it.
    It's on Parlophone, Mike.

Great shot of Tom, TomBairdFan. Captures him perfectly. Great musician/producer, incredibly intelligent and a super nice guy. I was so lucky to have worked with him.

Ralph we're also lucky to have you contribute to these threads as your first hand knowledge is invaluable in understanding the personalities involved who. in most cases, we only know about from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey Tom! I, too, love XIT! I bought both of their CDs and love them -- especially their first album that Ralph produced. Another Rare Earth-label favorite is Stoney & Meatloaf [[also produced by Ralph) i love every track but two.

Where did you see the Rare Earth catalog available as downloads?
    Hey Gary, I shall have to check out that Stoney & Meatloaf album. Sounds interesting. I shall also revisit Xit and let the tunes grow on me

Ooh all the Rare Earth albums up until 1973's Ma are on iTunes I believe. I've got all them as downloads and am still yet to listen to a lot of it... although I can say I love "I Just Want To Celebrate" however the notion of a 20 minute song [["Get Ready") is already freaking me out, lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-11-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Ralph we're also lucky to have you contribute to these threads as your first hand knowledge is invaluable in understanding the personalities involved who. in most cases, we only know about from a distance.
    Definitely mysterysinger!

And, on that point, I wonder if I could ask you something Ralph? The Power Of Zeus album you produced... what’s the story behind it? I can’t believe Motown released an album like it. What were/are your thoughts on it? I don’t know what to make of it, lol

https://www.catchopcd.net/en/mini-lp...ni-lp-cd-.html

I bought the Stoney & Meatloaf album along with both Sunday Funnies, Matrix, Wolfe and a couple other Big Pink reissues fairly cheaply.

I wish both Rustix albums would be released on cd, plus their rumored 3rd album that's in the vaults, also, along with the Messengers.

Tom,
    Harry Balk was hot to expand the offerings of the Rare Earth Label and asked Russ and me to look for bands. Russ found Power Of Zeus playing in some Country bar on the East side of Detroit. What was odd was the band [[totally Hard Rock with the name Gangrene) had turned the bar into a Rock and Roll joint. The band's motto.."Music to infect your mind." So Russ and I went to see the band together. We both agreed to bring them to Harry. A meeting was set up between us and the band's manager, Jim Wilson. Things went well and we signed the band. Harry's first order...change the name of the band. He knew we were opening new ground for Motown with the type of music we were going to lay on the Sales Department, and heaping the name Gangrene on top of it all was a bridge too far for Harry.
    Last edited by ralpht; 01-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.

By the way....I guess I somehow missed this thread when it first appeared. Many thanks for the positive feed back on my productions while at Motown. That means a lot to me.

Wow, thanks Ralph. Fascinating stuff.

[["Gangrene", what kind of a name is that )

As a foot note, Tom, I wasn't in favor of the name. I preferred simply "Zeus".

Ooh I agree with you there Ralph, ‘Zeus’ is an excellent name

Mac Suazo....XIT. ..........I sent Mac an email inviting him to join this thread.

Gary, I'm curious. What Two Tracks on the Stoney and Meatloaf album don't you care for. I have my own problems with a couple of them myself.

Tom. The band had a promo picture. The four of them around a campfire and all in some sort of weird pose. One looked like he was hanging from a cross...another praying to the fire. Can't remember it all but it was so edgy it gave me the creeps. I wanted it for the album cover.. Turned out the pic creeped Harry out also and he nixed it for the cover. Wish I had that picture.

Talking of Meatloaf does he keep in touch and is there a sense of achievement there with you guys? Their album was released on Prodigal too I believe - another story there perhaps.

Mystery, We stayed in Touch for a while after the Motown days. He called me all excited to tell me of his upcoming role in Rocky Horror. I was happy for him. After that, life got in the way, I suppose.

A word of caution regarding the Prodigal version. Completely different than the original and horrible! I was never sure why the new version, along with the ugliest album cover ever conceived, was released instead of just re releasing the original. anyway. Stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Gary, I'm curious. What Two Tracks on the Stoney and Meatloaf album don't you care for. I have my own problems with a couple of them myself.
    Hey Ralph! My copy of Stoney & Meatloaf's album is the original Rare Earth version. Here's a quick breakdown of my favorite tracks and lesser favorites -- my favorites being those containing the most ingredients of the "Motown Sound" [[horns and strings, back-up vocals, highly-stylized musical arrangements/productions, and that certain indefinable "magic" that makes it Motown.

FAVORITES [[Love 'em!):
    [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
    She Waits By The Window
    It Takes All Kinds Of People
    What You See Is What You Get
    Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)

LESSER FAVORITES:
    Game Of Love
    Kiss Me Again
    Jimmy Bell
    Jessica White

LEAST FAVORITE:
    Lady Be Mine

Overall, I love this album, Ralph. You did a great job on it! I really wish it would get a CD release to replace my current vinyl-to-CD home-made copy. I also wish you had produced a second Stoney & Meatloaf album. Are there any Stoney & Meatloaf previously-unreleased tracks in the vaults?

- Gary

Mystery, We stayed in Touch for a while after the Motown days. He called me all excited to tell me of his upcoming role in Rocky Horror. I was happy for him. After that, life got in the way, I suppose.

A word of caution regarding the Prodigal version. Completely different than the original and horrible! I was never sure why the new version, along with the ugliest album cover ever conceived, was released instead of just re releasing the original. anyway. Stay away from it.
    Now i never knew that it was a different recording. Thanks for the warning. Wonder if either version of the Stoney & Meatloaf album will surface on CD. They must have thought a lot of it to consider re-recording it. I did have the Prodigal version on LP but wasn't enraptured with it.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-14-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Gary, We are pretty much on the same page regarding least favorite songs. Meatloaf had wanted to do Jimmy Bell as a solo. Stoney had complained to me that I was pushing her too hard in the studio, getting power out of her big voice and could she please pick a song she could sing without grinding it. She chose Game Of Love.
    I liked Lady Be Mine but should have taken the production a little further.

My big disappointment: Sunshine Where's Heaven. I over produced the sucker. The song was originally meant to be kind of a laid back Soft Rock kind of song. At least that is how I wrote it. I didn't have any verses written, only the chorus. Mike Valvano and I sat in my family room one afternoon to write the verses. We were having trouble getting anywhere. We noticed my young daughter playing in her sandbox in the yard. Before I knew it we were writing about a couple that had lost a child. Not quite where I wanted to go and the production was getting away from me. Tom Baird can be heard wailing away on the piano going into the fade. So there are times I wish I could do a song over again.

Gary, We are pretty much on the same page regarding least favorite songs. Meatloaf had wanted to do Jimmy Bell as a solo. Stoney had complained to me that I was pushing her too hard in the studio, getting power out of her big voice and could she please pick a song she could sing without grinding it. She chose Game Of Love.
    I liked Lady Be Mine but should have taken the production a little further.

My big disappointment: Sunshine Where's Heaven. I over produced the sucker. The song was originally meant to be kind of a laid back Soft Rock kind of song. At least that is how I wrote it. I didn't have any verses written, only the chorus. Mike Valvano and I sat in my family room one afternoon to write the verses. We were having trouble getting anywhere. We noticed my young daughter playing in her sandbox in the yard. Before I knew it we were writing about a couple that had lost a child. Not quite where I wanted to go and the production was getting away from me. Tom Baird can be heard wailing away on the piano going into the fade. So there are times I wish I could do a song over again.
    I love your behind-the-scenes Motown stories, Ralph! It's fun to learn how a beautiful song got its start on a quiet afternoon in your family room. I still wish that you and Russ would collaborate on a Motown book. Take all of the behind-the-scenes stories that you shared with us in your many You-Tube videos, add additional stories like this one, and you've got a fantastic read for Motown fans!

Truthfully, I'm glad that you "over-produced" "Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)." I love the intensity of the vocals and strings. It was perfectly and appropriately Motown. If you had made it less intense, less glossy, and more rock oriented, it probably would have dropped to my "Lesser Favorites" category. As it is, I love it and wouldn't change a thing.

Tom. The band had a promo picture. The four of them around a campfire and all in some sort of weird pose. One looked like he was hanging from a cross...another praying to the fire. Can't remember it all but it was so edgy it gave me the creeps. I wanted it for the album cover.. Turned out the pic creeped Harry out also and he nixed it for the cover. Wish I had that picture.
    Oh my Ralph that does sound weird. Perhaps too weird.

I also read that Motown tried to make the album more conventional/pop-friendly by ensuring the tracks were relatively short. But the LP didn’t do very well because Motown didn’t really know what they were doing with it...?

Yes... https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-g...s-mw0000252206

Interesting

The Power Of Zeus album "The Gospel According to Zeus" has been released at least twice on CD. I have a copy issued on the "Twilight Zone" label, cat. no. TT019 that I purchased some years back from a seller in Stockholm. It's also been released on the U.K. Traffic label and if anyone is interested, copies are currently available on Ebay UK. from a seller in Australia, who has two copies for sale and provided the following info and description:

'When one thinks of Motown Records, heavy guitar riffs and psychedelic rock is not the first thing that comes to mind. Perhaps that's why Power of Zeus's The Gospel According to Zeus, the debut rock release by Motown subsidiary Rare Earth Records and the Detroit band's first and only full-length album, has achieved mythological status in the years since it's release in 1970. Marked by the virtuoso guitar work of Joe Periano, Power of Zeus create an album that merges the high-concept songwriting of Pink Floyd with the tight, powerful arrangements of Black Sabbath; see the slow psychedelic dirge "Green Grass & Clover" or the raw energy of "Sorcerer of Isis" for examples. Initially disregarded by critics and audiences, Gospel has since been recognized as a classic album and become a much sought-after collector's piece, representing the lone, great effort from a band later torn apart by drug abuse and in-fighting. Get On Down is proud to present this forgotten gem as it was intended to be heard, with a new digital audio transfer from the original analog tapes.'

Disc 1

Track 1 : It Couldn't Be Me
    Track 2 : In The Night
    Track 3 : Green Grass And Clover
    Track 4 : I Lost My Love
    Track 5 : The Death Grip
    Track 6 : No Time
    Track 7 : Uncertain Destination
    Track 8 : Realization
    Track 9 : Hard Working Man
    Track 10 : The Sorcerer Of Isis [[The Ritual Of The Mole)

mysterysinger, I agree the Japanese Mini-Lp Cd's are superb, both in terms of aural quality and their faithful reproductions of the original cover artwork. They're also not too expensive, which is a bonus.

Were you aware that the Poor Boys only Rare Earth album "Ain't Nothin' In Our Pocket But Love" originally released on Rare Earth [[RS 519) was issued in mini-lp format last year? I'm sure new copies can still be readily purchased.

Regarding the Stoney & Meatloaf album, are there two versions of that one? I once saw a track list for it that seemed to have a few songs not on the original recording while missing a couple. I can't remember exactly, I would have to see if I could find my notes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Regarding the Stoney & Meatloaf album, are there two versions of that one? I once saw a track list for it that seemed to have a few songs not on the original recording while missing a couple. I can't remember exactly, I would have to see if I could find my notes on it.
    See post 86 in this thread by Ralpht. There was a Rare Earth LP release and the album was re-recorded and released on the Prodigal label, also with a different [[yucky) cover.

See post 86 in this thread by Ralpht. There was a Rare Earth LP release and the album was re-recorded and released on the Prodigal label, also with a different [[yucky) cover.
    Hey mystery, how was the album re-recorded? Different backing tracks but same vocals? Remixes?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-15-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Well now, I've probably misunderstood the meaning of "completely different than the original and horrible" since I'd thought that meant re-recorded somehow, but it probably doesn't mean that.

The original 1971 release featured tracks:
    A1 [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
    A2 She Waits By The Window
    A3 It Takes All Kinds Of People
    A4 Game Of Love
    A5 Kiss Me Again
    B1 What You See Is What You Get
    B2 Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)
    B3 Jimmy Bell
    B4 Lady Be Mine
    B5 Jessica White

Apparently, as per Discogs, the 1978 re-release omits 4 songs from the original 1971 Rare Earth Records release:

1.[[Id Love To be) As Heavy As Jesus
    2. It Takes All Kinds Of People
    3. Game Of Love
    4. What You See Is What You Get

However, it adds 4 previously unreleased songs:

1. Stone Heart
    2. Who Is The Leader Of The People
    3. Everything Under The Sun
    4. It features a longer, different mix of "Jimmy Bell" from the 1971 release.

So that's interesting - but it also changed the front cover from what was a tasteful portrait to what I can only describe as a dog's dinner.

The Big Pink mini-LP CD has the original artwork and the following track listing:

01. [[I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus
    02. She Waits By The Window
    03. It Takes All Kinds Of People
    04. Game Of Love
    05. Kiss Me Again
    06. What You See Is What You Get
    07. Sunshine [[Where's Heaven)
    08. Jimmy Bell
    09. Lady Be Mine
    10. Jessica White
    11. Stone Heart
    12. Who Is The Leader Of The People
    13. Everything Under The Sun

Everything Under The Sun was a song I had high hopes for. However some sort of miscommunication with arranger Dave Van Di Pitt had the horns coming out like a Sousa march of some sort instead of the New Orleans style I had in mind. #11 and #12 I didn't produce. That would have been produced by Nick and Dino. Harry had opened S&M to other producers, a decision I wasn't all that happy about.
    t

Please excuse me if this has been mentioned previously, and a cursory look did not detect it, but Smokey Robinson's album, "Smokey," from 1970 featured XIT on the track, "Just My Soul Responding." https://youtu.be/mBny0vgnGkQ

Just in case Gary gets excited, "Everything Under The Sun" is a different song to anything recorded at Philles by The Ronettes or Ike & Tina.