[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    See post 86 in this thread by Ralpht. There was a Rare Earth LP release and the album was re-recorded and released on the Prodigal label, also with a different [[yucky) cover.
    Okay, thanks. I got my albums mixed up while reading this thread. After re-reading I realize it referred to the Stoney & Meatloaf albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown1050 View Post
    https://www.catchopcd.net/en/mini-lp...ni-lp-cd-.html

I bought the Stoney & Meatloaf album along with both Sunday Funnies, Matrix, Wolfe and a couple other Big Pink reissues fairly cheaply.

I wish both Rustix albums would be released on cd, plus their rumored 3rd album that's in the vaults, also, along with the Messengers.
    Thank you for the website. I just purchased Sunday Funnies - Benediction, Northern Lights - Vancouver Dreaming, Stoney And Meatloaf, Wolfe, Matrix. I found Poor Boys on Amazon before checking out this site and the Amazon price was much more.

Just in case Gary gets excited, "Everything Under The Sun" is a different song to anything recorded at Philles by The Ronettes or Ike & Tina.
    Ha! You know me all too well, mysterysinger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown1050 View Post
    https://www.catchopcd.net/en/mini-lp...ni-lp-cd-.html

I bought the Stoney & Meatloaf album along with both Sunday Funnies, Matrix, Wolfe and a couple other Big Pink reissues fairly cheaply.

I wish both Rustix albums would be released on cd, plus their rumored 3rd album that's in the vaults, also, along with the Messengers.
    Yeah, thank you very much for the heads up, Motown1050. I just ordered my CD copy of Stoney & Meatloaf -- a dream that I never thought would come true.

And you're not alone in your wish that Rustix Rare Earth albums would get a CD release. In fact, I thought I was alone on that one. You are the first and only Motown fan, other than me, who admits to loving their first "Bedlam" album. Every track on that album had "pop hit" stamped all over it. Rustix was from Rochester, NY, where I'm from. I couldn't believe that the group didn't succeed with Motown. Friends who I played it for at the time all loved it. All that "Bedlam" needed was a chance to be heard.

Look What You Made Me Do

Name:  XIT CD.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  36.9 KB

Reading the posts about the Rare Earth label recordings on CD got me interested all over again! I once owned all the LPs on the Rare Earth label, and only retained a few when I got rid of my vinyl collection. I held on to Impact Of Brass, The Cats, The God Squad, The Messengers, Matrix, and, of course, the two XIT albums because I liked them so much. Reading the info about the XIT albums being available on CD triggered an online hunt, and I found and ordered the 'Silent Warrior' CD. Now I will enjoy it even more, since it sounds much, much better than my old LP! Sometimes, reading SoulfulDetroit posts can be an expensive [[but enjoyable) exercise!

Aside from the 3 tracks on TCMS, I believe the only other track by the Impact Of Brass which is available on CD is "What A Friend We Have In Jesus" on the CD album of "The Key To The Kingdom". Does anyone know of others [[aside from TCMS and TKTTK)?

Whilst not [[yet) available on CD as far as I know, some of you might be interested to know about this European compilation album from the days of the Rare Earth label.

The Rarest On Earth

A1 –Rare Earth Get Ready
    A2 –The Rustix I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    A3 –Dennis Stoner Lost Along The Highway
    A4 –The Sunday Funnies Walk Down The Path Of Freedom
    A5 –Stoney & Meatloaf Jimmy Bell
    A6 –My Friends I'm An Easy Rider
    A7 –Corliss Nelson The Way I Live
    B1 –R. Dean Taylor Taos New Mexico
    B2 –The Messengers Window Shopping
    B3 –The Poor Boys Beg Me
    B4 –Ken Christie & The Sundance People Jesus Is The Key
    B5 –XIT Nihaa Shil Hozho [[I Am Happy About You)
    B6 –The Sunday Funnies It's Just A Dream
    B7 –Rare Earth I Just Want To Celebrate

Attachment 13903

With regard to the US Rare Earth label albums available on CD, obviously most are now obtainable but these are the ones still to make an appearance as far as I know [[please advise if I have any of these wrong).

Not yet on CD -

508 Rustix - Bedlam
    509 Messengers - Messengers
    513 Rustix - Come On People [[this is available on download via Amazon)
    521 Cats - 45 Lives
    527 Magic - Magic
    529 Impact Of Brass - Down At The Brassworks
    530 Dennis Stoner - Dennis Stoner
    531 God Squad - Jesus Christ's Greatest Hits
    532 Repairs - Already A Household Word
    533 Other People - Head To Head [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
    537 Howl The Good - Howl The Good
    544 Puzzle - Puzzle [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
    549 The Pretty Things - Real Pretty [[but the two albums it comprises are on CD anyway)

Also, whilst 518 Lost Nation Paradise Lost is on CD, I believe these are of unofficial issue.

Please let me know of any of these you've found on CD or alternatively on download at a push.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Magic's album [[minus 2 tracks) are available for download and The Cats album is available as part of [[I think) 2 Anthologies.

Thanks for that JR.

Before I forget, Howl The Good is also available on a Big Pink mini-LP CD.

Has anyone heard anymore about The Stoney and Meatloaf expanded edition?

From what I was told it will be a September release.

Thanks for the update Ralph.

Two more album available on CD for the first time :

_ Down At The Brass Works - The Impact Of The Brass
    https://www.catchopcd.net/mini-lp-cd...ni-lp-cd-.html

_ Magic - Magic
    https://www.catchopcd.net/mini-lp-cd...ni-lp-cd-.html

Both CD are out of stock but you can find them on ebay

Can see my collection [[so far) here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57692706116875

Does anyone have the Impact Of Brass album? Is it any good!? I've heard one or two songs from it and it sounds nice!

Never heard about this digital compilation issued in 2015 :

" The Detroit Sessions" by Magic
    https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Sessi.../dp/B00TQTH1HG

It contains , to my knowledge , some songs previously unreleased : "Artificial Dream" , "Get Up" , "I'm Singing A Song" and "Light Up Your Window" [[ informations about this four tracks on DFTMC )

Very nice find on that digital release "The Detroit Sessions" by Magic.

All 16 tracks there are listed on DFTMC but of the 11 songs on the "Magic" album on the Rare Earth label only 9 are included [[missing "Keep On Movin' On" and "Don't Use Your Love To Blind Me") - so may still need to buy the Big Pink CD release to have the entire album.

That, of course, means that 9 of the tracks on the digital release weren't on the album and seemingly unreleased until 2015?. Many of the tracks are quite enjoyable too even on first listen.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-28-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Does anyone have the Impact Of Brass album? Is it any good!? I've heard one or two songs from it and it sounds nice!
    It's a fairly typical Motowny instrumental thing - good for background music. The single release "Never Can Say Goodbye" / "So Far So Good" [[available on TCMS) is typical of the feel of the album. It's not a lot like a proper brass band sound really [[being a Northern England lad) - the closest they get to that type of sound is actually on another album "The Key To The Kingdom" which is also available on CD and the track I'm referring to is "What a Friend We Have In Jesus" - it's a beauty.

The Impact of Brass do have a Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/The-Impact-...08452869196895

Thanks mystery! Yes, if I'm not mistaken, I believe they released a few things after their tenure at Motown, and must still be in existence as of today apparently!

The link to the new CD of their Motown LP doesn’t work for me though...

Here's an ebay link - re south Korea - I've bought items from this supplier no problems at all

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-IMPAC...oAAOSwAepdt9QC

Here is also a link to my images of the CD.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57712035982823

and NCSG

Thanks mystery

That, of course, means that 9 of the tracks on the digital release weren't on the album and seemingly unreleased until 2015?. Many of the tracks are quite enjoyable too even on first listen.
    5 of these 9 tracks are included this 1998 CD :
    https://www.discogs.com/fr/Magic-Enc...elease/2498317
    Last edited by mjdestiny; 04-29-2020 at 03:34 PM.

How right you are and the "Enclosed" album is from 1969 - and there's one of the missing tracks "Keep On Movin' On". Now where is "Don't Use Your Love To Blind Me"? You're coming up with some great info. Actually I have seen that cover before but maybe not connected it.

Still Selling After All These Years

Name:  Power Of Zeus.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  58.1 KB

OK, so sometimes it takes me a while to get round to buying 'new' releases, but the wait was worth it today when I got the Power Of Zeus 'The Gospel According To Zeus' CD. I had the album many years ago and was aware that it had appeared several times officially and unoffically on CD over the years. I purchased the 2019 version on the Mr Bongo label [[ASIN: B07NRDPC5J) which is officially licensed by Universal and was half-speed mastered by Miles Showell at Abbey Road. While it may not be the greatest rock album ever made, it still has great originality and the newly mastered version probably sounds as good as what Russ and Ralph heard through the speakers when they produced this most unusual Motown magnum opus. It's hard to believe that Power Of Zeus was only a four-piece because they created an album full of excellent vocals and instrumentation worthy of a larger group. The most spooky thing to realize is that the twins were working on this a mere 50 YEARS AGO, and I'm sure that neither they nor the group thought that there would still be buyers for this album today! Definitely one of Curtis McNair's more 'out there' album covers, too, but totally appropriate for what's in the grooves. Although it's a bit of an outsider, it's a very welcome addition to my musically open-minded Motown collection and just listening to it makes you appreciate all the work and creativity that went into its making.

The Cats "45 Lives" received a 2020 release on CD from Big Pink.

So I think these may be the ones still to see a CD release [[may be wrong)

508 Rustix - Bedlam
    509 Messengers - Messengers
    513 Rustix - Come On People [[this is available on download via Amazon)
    530 Dennis Stoner - Dennis Stoner
    531 God Squad - Jesus Christ's Greatest Hits
    532 Repairs - Already A Household Word
    533 Other People - Head To Head [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
    544 Puzzle - Puzzle [[un-issued on Rare Earth)
    549 The Pretty Things - Real Pretty [[but the two albums it comprises are on CD anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    Name:  Power Of Zeus.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  58.1 KB

OK, so sometimes it takes me a while to get round to buying 'new' releases, but the wait was worth it today when I got the Power Of Zeus 'The Gospel According To Zeus' CD. I had the album many years ago and was aware that it had appeared several times officially and unoffically on CD over the years. I purchased the 2019 version on the Mr Bongo label [[ASIN: B07NRDPC5J) which is officially licensed by Universal and was half-speed mastered by Miles Showell at Abbey Road. While it may not be the greatest rock album ever made, it still has great originality and the newly mastered version probably sounds as good as what Russ and Ralph heard through the speakers when they produced this most unusual Motown magnum opus. It's hard to believe that Power Of Zeus was only a four-piece because they created an album full of excellent vocals and instrumentation worthy of a larger group. The most spooky thing to realize is that the twins were working on this a mere 50 YEARS AGO, and I'm sure that neither they nor the group thought that there would still be buyers for this album today! Definitely one of Curtis McNair's more 'out there' album covers, too, but totally appropriate for what's in the grooves. Although it's a bit of an outsider, it's a very welcome addition to my musically open-minded Motown collection and just listening to it makes you appreciate all the work and creativity that went into its making.
    TBF I'm a little late to this show. Thank you for the kind words on the album. Here are a couple of things about the album that may interest you. Curtis wanted a different cover that would show the faces of the band.He made a valid point but we still wanted Jim Wilson's shot. He was the band's manager and a talented photographer.

We got sampled many times, mostly from Rap artists. They were attracted to a freak-out section that Russ created which included synth sweeps and whale sounds and much more, on the title : Sorcerer of Ises...Ritual of the Mole.

And yes it does amaze me that the album is still selling.

By the way...I like your screen name. I was a close friend of Tom Baird, a true genius.
    Last edited by ralpht; 11-23-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Culture Factory has 2 ‘new’ RARE EARTH which I don’t remember seeing mentioned here.

RARE EARTH - Grand Slam [[cd)

RARE EARTH - Generation [[2000 copies limited edition on pink vinyl only)
    To my knowledge it’s the first time ever this album gets released officially.

[[Thus making RAREARTH the last album by the band not released by Culture Factory yet. And they had released the withdrawn LIVE IN CHICAGO too btw)

Many of the Big Pink releases are no longer listed on Ebay. Last I looked there was still Howl The Good, Magic and The Cats "45 Lives".

I liked the Cats '45 Lives' album so much that I ended up getting a number of their EMI Bovema CDs. Ten of the twelve tracks from 45 Lives appear on 'The Cats - Marian- Famous Favouites' CD. Search barcode: 0 7777948552 9 at Discogs. It's a very enjoyable compilation. Those cats made some great music!

Name:  R-9745516-1495367946-8816.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  45.6 KB
    Name:  R-9745516-1495367946-9856.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  97.1 KB

A taste of XIT,,,,Coming of the White Man..
    https://youtu.be/vQqd1HisNFo

I realize this is an older thread, but I was listening to some of XIT today and had forgotten just how good the band was. This selection is a favorite of mine.
    Last edited by ralpht; 05-09-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Always enjoy coming back to this thread and you can't have too much XIT.

Thank you, Mystery. Glad to accommodate.

I should point out that ALL percussion on the album are authentic Indian drums and bells. There are no conventional drums on any of the songs. We tried to keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Hey Gary,
    Get some sleep. Because of time differences, it may be a while before I hear from them.
    No problem, Ralph. I was a nighthawk back then and still am!

I should point out that ALL percussion on the album are authentic Indian drums and bells. There are no conventional drums on any of the songs. We tried to keep it real.
    And you suceeded beautifully, Ralph! The percussion used throughout is magnificent! I've gotta get out my CD copy and give it a play or two.

One of the drums was big enough to stand on, which R.C. did on one of the songs with bells strapped to his ankles, beating the rhythm with his feet.

This thread is another reason why I love this forum. I collected many of the original LPs released on the Rare Earth label back in the late 80s and early 90s when many of them were available in the cut out bins at record stores. In spite of my collecting many of these releases, I barely got around to playing most of them. After seeing this threads “revival“, I went and checked my collection and found I had the XIT “Plight of the Red Man” album. I listened to it the other night and it is definitely an unusual album with a bigger purpose than just selling records and is a very interesting experience. I want to sit down and listen to it seriously while reading the lyrics which come with the LP. I’m also interested now in finding their other album on the label, but I think I’ll look for the LP first.

Its also very interesting to learn how this album came to be with Ralphs production and direction as to its release.

I thought I had the album by Power of Zeus, but I wasn’t able to find it the other day. I guess I should check in the “Z“ section as well as in the “P” category where I should’ve found it.

This is a really great discussion and what amazing background to learn about this innovative band.

Kenneth, originally the album was to contain a few pages, telling the story along with more pictures. Motown pulled back on the expenses a little because they were a new and unknown band. I was satisfied with what was done though, understanding the situation.

It was during the production of the album that the guys re-named me. I became Laughing Eagle. I will always be proud of the name, knowing the sacred importance of the eagle to the Red Man's culture.

Kenneth, originally the album was to contain a few pages, telling the story along with more pictures. Motown pulled back on the expenses a little because they were a new and unknown band. I was satisfied with what was done though, understanding the situation.
    It’s a beautiful package and is presented very well.

Thanks Kenneth. I had no problem with the cover.