[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool MOTOWN's Rare Earth-Label LP Titles Available On CD

To no_place_like_motown: I want to personally thank you for the Rare Earth-label thread that you started a few weeks ago. I had no idea that so many Motown album titles on the Rare Earth label were available on CD. I checked them all out and bought every one that I could find on Amazon. Thanks to you, I was able to find a total of 11 [[not counting the group Rare Earth, whose albums I already have on CD). Not being a hard-rock fan, I was amazed at how many of these albums I actually like -- or, in some cases, I even LOVE! I would have to say that my favorites are Xit – the Native American group who Ralph Terrana raved about in his excellent autobiography, "The Road Through Motown". [[You were so right, Ralph – these guys are fantastic! Their sound is a unique combination of Indian, Motown, and at times, given the heavy use of shakers in two tracks, even 1965-era Phil Spector!) I was especially pleasantly surprised to discover how much I like the group Toe Fat! Those guys can really rock – but in a good way! The group Love Sculpture is a bluesy white group who I also found myself enjoying a lot. Crystal Mansion is a soft rock group which has some decent songs on their album. Other Rare Earth-label CD’s that I bought were by the Pretty Things, Power Of Zeus, and Sunday Funnies. Unfortunately, those groups/titles are out-of-my-league psychedelic rock which I can’t identify with to save me; nevertheless, it’s great to have all of these Motown/Rare Earth-label albums in my CD collection.

Here are the links in case anyone else is interested in making a purchase. If not, it’s still cool to see these album/CD covers for the first time, as I had never seen most of them before. Hope you enjoy!

XIT - "Plight Of The Red Man"
    http://www.amazon.com/Plight-Redman-...the+red+man+cd

XIT - "Silent Warrior"
    http://www.amazon.com/XIT-Silent-War...ent+warrior+cd

TOE FAT - "Toe Fat"
    http://www.amazon.com/Toe-Fat/dp/B00...rds=toe+fat+cd

TOE FAT - "Two"
    http://www.amazon.com/Two-Toe-Fat/dp...toe+fat+two+cd

CRYSTAL MANSION - Crystal Mansion [[Golden Classics Edition)
    http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Classic...tal+mansion+cd

LOVE SCULPTURE - "Blues Helping"
    http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Helping-...e+Sculpture+cd

POWER OF ZEUS - "The Gospel According To Zeus"
    http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Accordi...wer+of+zeus+cd

R. DEAN TAYLOR - "Essential Collection" [[A collection – NOT a reissued album)
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Coll...+collection+cd

SUNDAY FUNNIES - "Sunday Funnies"
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Funnies...day+funnies+cd

PRETTY THINGS - "S.F. Sorrow"
    http://www.amazon.com/S-F-Sorrow-Pre...s.f.+sorrow+cd

PRETTY THINGS - "Parachute"
    http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Pret...s+parachute+cd

There ya are! That pretty much covers all of them. As Motown fans, I hope you have as much fun discovering these as I have. - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Gary,
    Glad you hear what I heard in Xit. The thing I always liked about that album is all the tom toms and bells and such are authentic tribal instruments. We kept it old school on that one. I stay in touch with the guys and we all agree that should the opportunity arise, we would go back in the studio for a reprise of some sort. They continue to have a large following in the Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Gary,
    Glad you hear what I heard in Xit. The thing I always liked about that album is all the tom toms and bells and such are authentic tribal instruments. We kept it old school on that one. I stay in touch with the guys and we all agree that should the opportunity arise, we would go back in the studio for a reprise of some sort. They continue to have a large following in the Southwest.
    Hey, Ralph! I was hoping I would catch your attention with this one! Yeah, I, too, love the tom-toms and all of the various percussion used throughout the Xit sessions. The first two tracks on "Plight Of The Red Man" were particularly heavy on shakers which pleasantly reminded me of Phil Spector’s wall of thundering percussion. It’s a shame that Motown didn’t promote Xit more aggressively. I think their soulful sound would have appealed to the masses as it did to you and me. During my first listening, I really cranked the sucker through my headphones. I got goosebumps throughout the entire "Plight Of The Red Man" CD. I thought, "Wow! This is fantastic! Ralph was right. Xit is HOT!" I also loved their "Silent Warrior" CD, but I think, overall, "Plight Of The Red Man" hit me the hardest.

I hope that you DO go back into the studio with Xit, Ralph. Keep it old school and those who are lucky enough to hear it will love it, too!

Now, if we could just get Stoney & Meatloaf's Motown/Rare Earth album [[containing the stereo versions of your brilliant productions) on CD, we would be all set! - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-01-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Gary [[or anyone who knows), most of these releases are on labels that I've never heard of. Are these from the master tapes or are they vinyl rips?

How could you forget "Dan The Banjo Man"?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dan-Banjo-Ma...+the+banjo+man

Toe Fat also a Two Fer.....Attachment 8755

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Gary [[or anyone who knows), most of these releases are on labels that I've never heard of. Are these from the master tapes or are they vinyl rips?
    Calvin, they're all from the master tapes and they sound great! If you wanna try just one, do yourself a favor and buy XIT's "Plight Of The Red Man". These guys have great harmonies and they can really sing! And it's not like some "world" music where you can't identify with it no matter how you try. This is American Indian pop music with great melodies and a danceable beat. Like I said, imagine a combination of Motown and Phil Spector's Philles label where the tracks jump out at you and hook you from the start. That's XIT. They're powerful and exciting. I can't praise "Plight Of The Red Man" enough!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    How could you forget "Dan The Banjo Man"?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dan-Banjo-Ma...+the+banjo+man
    I didn't forget, mysterysinger. According to my book "Heat Wave -- The Motown Fact Book" [[Motown's complete discography), there was no release by Dan The Banjo Man on the Rare Earth label for albums nor singles. And even if there were, I doubt if I would have bought this CD release that you pointed out, as the customer review warns that it was ripped from vinyl.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Dan The Banjo Man had three single releases on Rare Earth [[Dan The Banjo Man, Black Magic and Red River Valley), but these were UK releases only. The Dan The Banjo Man single was released in the US but on the main Motown label.

I remember reading that the Commodores release Movin' On was a vinyl rip, but if it was it was a bloody good one, because I couldn't tell the difference!

It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany .

http://www.discogs.com/Dan-The-Banjo...elease/4006727

Click on the album cover and you'll be able to see more images including one of the label.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-02-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Gary, Gary, Gary, what am I going to do with you? Every time I read one of your threads you cost me money!!!! ;-)

I'm adding XIT to my wish list for Christmas, and if someone doesn't get it for me then I'll be forced to order it in January. I haven't heard of them before but in checking out the Amazon links, one album [[not on Motown) had track samples and I really enjoyed the sound. Thanks for pointing the way to some new [[older) music!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    Dan The Banjo Man had three single releases on Rare Earth [[Dan The Banjo Man, Black Magic and Red River Valley), but these were UK releases only. The Dan The Banjo Man single was released in the US but on the main Motown label.
    You're right, Hotspurman. I looked it up again in my Heat Wave [[Motown discography) book after brunch when I had more time. [[I had forgotten that the second half of Heat Wave is devoted to Motown's U.K. releases.) I have to wonder, if there was no Banjo Man LP in the U.S. nor the U.K., where did the CD [[LP) come from that mysterysinger pointed out? I'm guessing that it's a compilation of his Motown and his non-Motown singles.

I found the Sunday Funnies second album, "Benediction", a lot more accessible than the first. Unfortunately, my favourite Rare Earth label albums by Matrix [aka Tom Baird] and two by Rustix, have never appeared on CD.

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;261578]It was, of course, said tongue in cheek BUT there is a point to it in that outside of the US there were differences on the Rare Earth label [[as there were on Mowest). However, Dan The Banjo Man did indeed have an LP release on the Rare Earth label - in France and Germany . QUOTE]

Nope, mysterysinger – I took you seriously! Wouldn’t you just know that, to make Motown’s releases even more frustrating and confusing, the U.S. got only one 45 of Dan The Banjo Man, the U.K. got 3 singles, and France and Germany got an entire album! I checked out Dan The Banjo Man’s LP on Amazon [[U.S.). Low and behold, both the CD AND the downloaded version are available. [[And they sound like they're from the master tape, too.) Strangely, however, only three of his released Motown 45's are available on this CD [["Dan The Banjo Man", "Black Magic", and "Londonderry"). For whatever reason, "Everything Will Rhyme", "Red River Valley", and "Theme of Love" are not included. I listened to the samples of each song and, I must say, I’m surprised.... Let’s just say that Dan The Banjo Man is not at all what you would expect to hear on any of the Motown labels. Completist that I am, however, I broke down and bought a copy of the CD just now – JUST to have in my Motown collection! [[I can blame you for steering me in this direction! HaHa)

Here’s the link for the Amazon U.S. CD/Download:

http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Banjo-Man/...+the+banjo+man

- Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-02-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Gary - you fool you lol. Yes there were strange goings on outside of the US - did you know David Alexander had a Rare Earth single? Now he was indeed a fabulous singer [[from Wales). In all seriousness I think I would like to have "The Impact Of Brass" on CD. After all if they can issue the Gordon Staples "Strung Out" Motown LP on CD - then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Gary, Gary, Gary, what am I going to do with you? Every time I read one of your threads you cost me money!!!! ;-)

I'm adding XIT to my wish list for Christmas, and if someone doesn't get it for me then I'll be forced to order it in January. I haven't heard of them before but in checking out the Amazon links, one album [[not on Motown) had track samples and I really enjoyed the sound. Thanks for pointing the way to some new [[older) music!

I know what you mean, thommg – my wallet [[er, what’s left of it) complains to me about it all the time! ;-)

If you liked the samples you heard, you’re bound to love Motown’s "Plight Of The Red Man". Did you read the 5 customer reviews? Their glowing reviews matched mine. "Silent Warrior" is good, too, but, if you only get one, "Plight Of The Red Man" is the one to have. A word to the wise, though -- I wouldn't wait too long. Now that the word is out, the few copies that Amazon has could sell out in no time at all.

Once again, here’s the link containing the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Plight-Redman-...of+the+red+man

Oh, and you’re welcome, thom. Glad to help you! - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-02-2014 at 05:25 PM.

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;261572]Toe Fat also a Two Fer...../QUOTE]

Yeah, mysterysinger, I’m aware of the Toe Fat two-fer. [[Try saying THAT 5 times in a row!!!) The truth is, I’m leary about two-fers. Ever since I found out that some of the Temptations two-fer CDs from the U.K. [[which I bought and which sound wonderful) used shortened versions of some of the songs in order to fit two albums onto one CD, and, worse, one of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles’ two-fers left out one song altogether, I’ve been sticking with one album per CD. I simply don’t trust two-fers any more, although, at one time, I loved them and swore by them.

You might want to check out The Impact Of Brass Facebook Page....https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-I...196895?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

I know what you mean, thommg – my wallet [[er, what’s left of it) complains to me about it all the time! ;-)

If you liked the samples you heard, you’re bound to love Motown’s "Plight Of The Red Man". Did you read the 5 customer reviews? Their glowing reviews matched mine. "Silent Warrior" is good, too, but, if you only get one, "Plight Of The Red Man" is the one to have. A word to the wise, though -- I wouldn't wait too long. Now that the word is out, the few copies that Amazon has could sell out in no time at all.

Oh, and you’re welcome, thom. Glad to help you! - Gary

I just couldn't let it sit there, hanging over my head, in the hope that someone would get it for me. So, I ordered Plight Of The Red Man. Oh, well, happy holidays to me!

"Cement Prairie" on Xit's "Plight of the Red Man" is an outstanding track.

I was first introduced to Xit on Smokey Robinson's "My Soul Responding". There harmonies on that one song convinced me to buy the Xit album. Motown had a very respectable Rock A&R staff. It was just hard to break from the main label's strong image. Heck, even the excellent Rare Earth broke through with Motown covers. But the Rare Earth label had several interesting signings.

I remember reading that the Commodores release Movin' On was a vinyl rip, but if it was it was a bloody good one, because I couldn't tell the difference!
    You're right, Hotspurman. Same goes for Jean Carn's Motown album on CD. They say that anything on the VINYL MASTERPIECE label is taken from vinyl, but you'd sure never know it. You'd swear that Jean's CD is from the mastertapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I was first introduced to Xit on Smokey Robinson's "My Soul Responding". There harmonies on that one song convinced me to buy the Xit album. Motown had a very respectable Rock A&R staff. It was just hard to break from the main label's strong image. Heck, even the excellent Rare Earth broke through with Motown covers. But the Rare Earth label had several interesting signings.
    Bokiluis, that was XIT on Smokey's "Just My Soul Responding? I didn't know that. Which XIT album did you get -- "Plight Of The Red Man" or "Silent Warrior"? They're both good, but "Plight Of The Red Man" is my personal favorite -- a musical masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Yeah, 144man, it’s a great track. The entire album is. This past evening, I put everything aside and played nothing but XIT’s "Plight Of The Red Man" CD – 5 times in a row! I couldn’t stop! That’s how taken I am by it. It’s the best new music [[new to me) that I’ve heard in a LONG time. At one point between the 5 total plays, I found myself playing the final track [["End?") over and over and over. The music and vocals, the melody, and the message are so powerful, it put a lump in my throat that wouldn’t quit.

I just couldn't let it sit there, hanging over my head, in the hope that someone would get it for me. So, I ordered Plight Of The Red Man. Oh, well, happy holidays to me!
    Hey, Thom -- congratulations! I was hoping you'd say that! You won't be sorry! I can hardly wait to hear how you like it! I was just telling one of the other posters that I played it over and over 5 times last night. After having played it for the very first time a few nights ago, I was able to relax this time around and enjoy it more thoroughly. I also noticed some things about the music that I hadn't noticed before or which hadn't sunk in yet. The lead singer's voice is extremely pop-friendly and instantly likeable. The string arrangements throughout are powerful and absolutely gorgeous -- always coming in at just the right places. The female back-up vocals are superb. Their blend doesn't sound like The Andantes, but, whoever they are, they're excellent and perfectly suited for this music. All in all, "Plight Of The Redman" is perfect from start to finish. The songs range from beautiful ballads to mid-tempo pop tunes to all-out rockers -- each one highly melodic and singable. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the very last track titled "End?" which is a reworking of the very first track titled "Beginning". Whereas "Beginning" is an excellent ballad, "End?" is an outstanding and intense masterpiece. It's the most beautiful and the most gripping track on there. At one point, I played "End?" over and over at least 10 times in a row. It's that beautiful and that powerful. The combination of the spoken message and the heavenly music and vocals simultaneously gave me goosebumps AND put a lump in my throat. That's all I'm gonna say. [[Ralph knows what I'm talking about!) One last thing that finally registered is that the album/CD covers for "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" are not accurately shown on Amazon. For whatever reason, Amazon is showing the back cover of each booklet. So, when your CD arrives, don't be shocked that it doesn't look like what you expected. All in all, Thom, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I'll expect a complete review! HaHa! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-03-2014 at 09:26 AM.

You might want to check out The Impact Of Brass Facebook Page....https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-I...196895?fref=ts
    Yeah, mysterysinger, I used to own a copy of the Impact Of Brass album. I wish it would come out on CD.

The backup singers are Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[ before they became Dawn with Tony Orlando) and a third singer named Bunny, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what label is being shown for the CDs. The band's manager, Tommy Bee somehow[[and I'll never figure out how it was accomplished) acquired the master tapes from Motown and formed his own company, SOAR, re-releasing the albums on that label with much success.

Gary - you fool you lol. Yes there were strange goings on outside of the US - did you know David Alexander had a Rare Earth single? Now he was indeed a fabulous singer [[from Wales). In all seriousness I think I would like to have "The Impact Of Brass" on CD. After all if they can issue the Gordon Staples "Strung Out" Motown LP on CD - then why not?
    Mysterysinger, I'm not familiar with David Alexander. But, as I said in another post to you, I, too, wish the Impact Of Brass would come out on CD along with the San Remo Golden Strings' "Hungry For Love" and "Swing"! When it comes to Motown, anything's possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

A bit of a plug, I know, but here is the info on David Alexander from my book Motown Encyclopedia:

Born in Blackwood, Monmouthshire in 1939, David Alexander Ebdon left Bedwelty Grammar School in Gwent at the age of sixteen and followed his father and eldest brother down the mines at Oakdale Colliery. After a few years of back breaking work, he left the mines and studied as a machine engineer before becoming foreman at a brake company. There he also joined singing company the Trenewdd Singers that appeared on ‘Opportunity Knocks’, with his performance being singled out as worthy of pursuing a singing career.Acting on that advice and adopting the name Ricky Mason, he went out on the road performing across the country. It was, however, under the name David Alexander that he got his first recording contract with Columbia, releasing If I Could See The Rhondda One More Time. Several singles and years later, he was one of the artists briefly signed to Rare Earth in the UK, with Phil Cordell writing and producing Love Love Love that was released in February 1974. It was not released in the US and David went back to the Columbia label thereafter. He died from a heart attack on 4 February 1995.

By the way, the Columbia label referred to above is the EMI label, not CBS.

The backup singers are Telma Hopkins, Joyce Vincent [[ before they became Dawn with Tony Orlando) and a third singer named Bunny, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what label is being shown for the CDs. The band's manager, Tommy Bee somehow[[and I'll never figure out how it was accomplished) acquired the master tapes from Motown and formed his own company, SOAR, re-releasing the albums on that label with much success.
    Thanks, Ralph! I was gonna check out the credits in the CD booklet last night but I didn’t get a chance. I do remember now that you had mentioned Telma and Joyce in your book. Thank God that Tommy Bee obtained the masters from Motown [[however he managed it). I can’t imagine not having "Plight Of The Red Man" in my collection.

To answer your question, Ralph, "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" are on the Soar label – Soar 101 and 102, respectively. "Plight" mentions that all tunes are written and produced by Tommy Bee in association with Motown staff producer Mike Valvano and published by EMI/Jobete Music [[ASCAP).

It also states that "Plight" was recorded at Motown/Hitsville Studios in Detroit, Michigan. [[You’ll love this next part!) It says, "Special thanks to Russ and Ralph Terrana for their technical support on this historical recording" [[Way to go, Ralph!) "and to musical arranger David Van DePitte for his masterful string arrangements." [[So THAT’s why I love the super string passages so much! David Van DePitte [[along with Paul Riser) is one of my all-time favorite Motown arrangers. As always, he did a fantastic job on this XIT album!

As an added touch, the back of both CD covers use a take-off on Motown’s "The Sound Of Young America" by billing themselves as "The Sound Of Indian America"! Very cool!

If you have any more questions about my XIT CD’s, Ralph, just ask. Thanks again for your help. [[BTW, you were SO LUCKY to have sat in on those sessions! I would give my right arm to have been there with you. - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-03-2014 at 09:07 AM.

To hotspurman: Thanks for the information on David Alexander. You mentioned the name Phil Cordell. He’s Dan The Disco Man, isn’t he? We were just talking about him! In fact, I ordered his CD yesterday!

Say, hotspurman, you mentioned "plugging" your Motown Encyclopedia. [[I love that book, although I haven’t had a chance to sit down and go through it all yet.) Are you by any chance Graham Betts? If you are, how cool is that!!! - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Gary,
    I emailed Mac Suazo of Xit[[bass) to see if he and Michael Martinez[[vocals) would join us on this thread.

144man, I'll have to check out Sunday Funnies "Benediction".

I don’t believe it! FINALLY I’ve found somebody who can identify with Rustix’ "Bedlam"! I LOVE that album! In fact, I’ve placed it high on my CD wantlist. Not only that, Rustix were from Rochester, NY, about 50 miles from where I grew up around the Finger Lakes area. I never got a chance to hear their second album. I loved the horn and string arrangements on "Bedlam" which made it pure Motown, but when I heard that their second album was more rock oriented, I didn’t bother to buy it. Now I wish that I had. Let’s keep the faith about The Rustix’ "Bedlam" seeing a CD release as well as their second album. - Gary

Gary,
    I emailed Mac Suazo of Xit[[bass) to see if he and Michael Martinez[[vocals) would join us on this thread.
    Hey, Ralph, that would be great! [[But do you mean right now? I was just getting ready to go to bed. It’s 7:44 a.m. and I haven’t had any sleep. I’ve been up all night promoting XIT to the Motowners!) - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Yes, that would be me!

Do you have it as an ebook or paperback? The paperback appears to be doing particularly well at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    You mean, "Cement Prairie" on "Silent Warrior". [[No problem, 144man. I didn't catch it before, either, until now.) - Gary

To hotspurman: Hey, Graham! It’s great to meet you! Between you and Ralph, I feel like I'm rubbing elbows with Motown royalty here! To answer your question, I have the paperback version of your book. That way, I can relax and read it anywhere without being glued to a computer screen. Glad to hear that it’s selling well for you. You certainly put a world of effort into it. Here’s hoping that it literally flies off the shelves! - Gary

Hey Gary,
    Get some sleep. Because of time differences, it may be a while before I hear from them.

Well I'm certainly not royalty! Ralph may well be deserving of such a moniker, given the number of drama queens he sometimes has to deal with on this site!

Glad you like the book.

I spoke with Mac Suazo and have set up membership accounts for him and Michael so we may hear from them today sometime.

Hi Graham,
    Hope the book is doing well.

Hi Ralph

Yes, the book is doing well – physical sales are now running at five times the ebook sales, which is particularly good considering there are no images or illustrations inside. Al Abrams has also been very helpful, so a big shout out to him.
    I’m hoping UK interest will significantly increase when Motown The Musical is announced....

That is very good news, Graham.

Hi Ralph

Yes, the book is doing well – physical sales are now running at five times the ebook sales, which is particularly good considering there are no images or illustrations inside. Al Abrams has also been very helpful, so a big shout out to him.
    I’m hoping UK interest will significantly increase when Motown The Musical is announced....
    Not to hijack this thread, and I will give a complete review once I listen to my XIT cd, but I just had to tell my sister to get me the Motown Encyclopedia. I had forgotten to add that to my list. Hopefully she will order that now and I'll have it on Christmas day!

I spoke with Mac Suazo and have set up membership accounts for him and Michael so we may hear from them today sometime.
    That sounds great, Ralph! I'm gonna be in and out today, but I'll keep checking back periodically. - Gary

Not to hijack this thread, and I will give a complete review once I listen to my XIT cd, but I just had to tell my sister to get me the Motown Encyclopedia. I had forgotten to add that to my list. Hopefully she will order that now and I'll have it on Christmas day!
    You're not hijackin' it, Thom. When it comes to birthday and Christmas gifts, that's the way to do it to ensure that you get what you want. Or, you can take it one step further like I do. I've learned the hard way that if you see something you want, buy it NOW. If you procrastinate for even a day, it could be gone. So, go ahead and buy it yourself now and keep the receipt. Then, when your significant other, family, or friend asks you what you want for your birthday or for Christmas, whip out the Motown book or CD and say, "Well, this would make a great gift for me if you wanna!" They'll gladly accept your offer as it eases their shopping worries, you'll get what you want [[with reimbursement), and everybody's happy. You'll have your XIT CD in your hands in just a few days, and best of luck that your sister will come through with the "Motown Encyclopedia" for Christmas. It's a wonderful reference book on anything Motown.... and then some! - Gary

Hey Mac, welcome to the Motown Forum! It's great to have you here! I’ve been looking forward to talking with you. I knew that XIT was a Native American Motown group with two early 1970's album releases on the Rare Earth label, but I never had a chance to check out your music until this week when I purchased your "Plight Of The Red Man" and "Silent Warrior" CD’s which I just learned were available. Great stuff! I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a CD of new music [[new to me) that moved me so. The songs and melodies, the arrangements, the production, and the performances are outstanding from the authentic percussion and instrumentation right up through and including David Van DePitte's exquisite string arrangements and the soulful back-up female vocals. The overall message is powerful and so true. I found myself playing "Plight Of The Red Man" over and over, 5 times in a row in one night! The last track [["End?") hit me the hardest, as I played that track alone at least 10 times in a row. That's how much it impressed and hooked me.

I just finished reading Ralph's book, "The Road Through Motown", in which he raved about what exceptionally talented performers XIT is. He was so right! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-04-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-04-2014 at 12:44 AM.

CreateSpace do seem to turn around the books very quickly, so I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems getting hold of a copy for Christmas! And many thanks, from a grateful author!