[REMOVE ADS]

Peppermint Rainbow.....who knew

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...ceo-talks.html

Always loved the song, "Will You Be Staying After Sunday?", by the Peppermint Rainbow. Bonnie Phipps was the lead singer on that. Interesting to see where they are now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNg7arOQoVA

>Peppermint Rainbow Carole King may have asked “Will you still love me tomorrow?” but Baltimore’s Peppermint Rainbow was a bit more specific. The band’s sunny pop single “Will You Be Staying After Sunday/ If We Can Make it to Monday” reached No. 32 on the Billboard charts in 1969 amidst the Beatles’ “Get Back” and debut singles by the Chicago Transit Authority and Three Dog Night. The tune, written by Al Kasha and Paul Leka, who had just scored a No. 1 hit in writing “Green Tambourine” for the Lemon Pipers, featured the rich vocal harmonies of Bonnie Lamdin [[who sounds like a dead ringer for Spanky McFarlane on this cut) and her sister, Pat, and the backing efforts of a trio of guys— Tony Carey on drums, Doug Lewis on lead guitar and Skip Harris on bass. Discovered by another Baltimorean— Mama Cass Elliot— in a Georgetown club, the group went from a low point of sharing one loaf of bread and a package of bologna five ways to brief fame touring the country with The 5th Dimension, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Sly and the Family Stone, even the ukulele-playing Tiny Tim. Lead singer Bonnie Lamdin Phipps remembers Peppermint Rainbow’s audition for the “Dinah Shore Show”— in Dinah Shore’s living room— and how Shore’s influence got the band invited to perform on the “Mike Douglas Show.” [[“I still have the tape,” she says fondly.) Peppermint Rainbow released only one album, “Will You Be Staying After Sunday,” which just missed making Billboard’s Top 100 albums chart in 1969. By 1970, Bonnie Lamdin had married and the band members, worn out from touring and feeling a little defeated by the album’s failure to chart, went their separate ways. Only one of the band members, Doug Lewis, still plays music regularly, handling a variety of instruments and vocals in the local band The New Monopoly. [[In the ’90s, he was part of the Delaware-based band the Hubcaps.) Tony Carey, who Lamdin Phipps describes as the band’s “free spirit,” lives in Alaska and paints houses for a living. Skip Harris is deceased. Pat [[Lamdin) Brown works for the juvenile court system, and Lamdin Phipps returned to Baltimore from Atlanta last year to become president and CEO of St. Agnes Hospital, the culmination of a 30-year career in the health care industry. Lamdin Phipps is philosophical about her time as part of the Peppermint Rainbow. “Being in the band prepared me for making presentations,” she says with a laugh, “So I don’t get totally paralyzed when I have to do that.” -
    Last edited by blueskies; 11-26-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Good song no doubt- good point about sounding like spanky

My understanding.....I'd have to double check the dates......is that is was an "answer" record to Spanky and Our Gang's "Sunday Morning"

I found this out about 4years ago and sent her a fax at the hospital of how much I liked her music and never got a response. I prefer Dont wake me up in the Morning Michael over Will you be Staying after Sunday. I didnt want her to think I was some crazed fan over the Peppermint Rainbow so I sent a second fax still no response do I said forget it at least she knows she is remembered....LOL

That's interesting, Stephanie. OH well....you did your part. Sometimes people that have left the business.....left the business...... and have moved on. But, a little 'thank you' would have been nice.