[REMOVE ADS]

The effects of cigarette smoking on the voice

This thread is meant to show examples and have discussion about cigarette smoking's effects on singers. For some reason, it seems that performers smoke at a far higher percentage than the general population. Whether this is just a misconception, or reality, I'm not sure. A few people have been lucky enough to not have their voice not totally destroyed by it, other's sound like croaking frogs. Here's a pretty striking example. The original recording from 1971, and a re-recording by the same artist in 2005. Pretty shocking.

After 40 years of smoking:

Last edited by jillfoster; 11-13-2014 at 10:48 PM.

On the flip side... a voice never touched by tobacco. I'm sure very few performers would pull off singing live after a recording of themselves 40 years before, and still do it in the same key.

You have to watch Marie on Youtube at least in Canada.

I was afraid Dionne Warwick would sound worse; but doesn't Aretha Franklin sound like she has deteriorated more than Dionne Warwick?

thomas96 Guest
    Didn't Nat King Cole think smoking gave his voice a richness and he wouldn't quit because of that? I think he'd smoke a pack before every recording session. Ended up killing the poor bastard, may he rest in peace.

haha!!! "thought" was the key word. He didn't live long enough for his voice to go to hell.

I started the thread with the 1971 Eurovision winner, the next year, Greek singer Vicky Leandros doesn't smoke, and you can see how her voice has held up.

Certainly much of it comes from smoking and/or alcohol abuse, but the simple process of aging could certainly play a role for some.

Singers voices that was certainly damages by smoking and substance abuse:
    Aretha Franklin
    Whitney Houston
    John Mellencamp
    Etta James

I don't know if Bruce Springsteen smokes, but his voice is also shot to hell.

Eddie Kendricks addiction to cigarettes killed his voice and eventually his life. YouTube has one of his last concerts, oh man, he can barely sing. It's sad as Eddie was [[and always will be) one of my favorites. He had a gift and he ruined it.

After a concert I saw Bobbie Smith of The Spinners light one up outside the limo ... his voice went south in his final years, too. It also probably played a big role in his death, sadly.

Not properly using your voice can also ruin it. Those who have had proper vocal training tend to fare better in the later years.

Mary Wilson's voice hasn't necessarily deteriorated, but years of smoking haven't helped.

Ronnie Spector is another one that comes to mind. Her range is even more limited than once was.

Billie Holiday and Amy Winehouse [[although heroin and alcohol were probably bigger factors)

Dionne Warwick is a good singer and she is not someone who I would rush out to get her songs but I must say she is a professional! I thought she was going to sound bad but she is staying her in lower register not trying to outsing herself like some do when they get older and she sounds fine here! Controlling that lower register and staying true to the integrity of the song she is not trying to speed it up or make it more loungey than it already is. Kudos to Miss Dionne.

Mary Wilson is a strange case when I see her on TV she is ok but live her voice is great! I dont know why she is better in person. Marys voice only translated well on TV to me when she was a Supreme [[in all incarnations), when she was on the Apollo and Arsenio Hall, and the Donny and Marie talk show.

Not bad on TV but MUCH better live.

I thought Mary quit many years ago. I believe Martha used to roll here own cigs.

I agree! I have heard a lot of people say she can't sing anymore, but she sounds good here. But smoking is bad habit period.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Mary Wilson is a strange case when I see her on TV she is ok but live her voice is great! I dont know why she is better in person. Marys voice only translated well on TV to me when she was a Supreme [[in all incarnations), when she was on the Apollo and Arsenio Hall, and the Donny and Marie talk show.

Not bad on TV but MUCH better live.
    Stephanie
    I think Mary get so excited about being on TV that she just over do it. Just like in her interviews she tries to cram so much into a short amount of time.

Dionne had lost a lot of her range but some of it has come back. One poster mention vocal training which I feel is essential. I've read that even Scherrie Payne take vocal lesson recently and we know this woman voice is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Dionne Warwick is a good singer and she is not someone who I would rush out to get her songs but I must say she is a professional! I thought she was going to sound bad but she is staying her in lower register not trying to outsing herself like some do when they get older and she sounds fine here! Controlling that lower register and staying true to the integrity of the song she is not trying to speed it up or make it more loungey than it already is. Kudos to Miss Dionne.
    I saw her in St. Charles, IL a few years ago along with her son. She is basically talk singing these days and it's such a shame. I've never seen Patty in person but isn't she one of the ones who can still hit it? There should be a thread on those that "still got it."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I saw her in St. Charles, IL a few years ago along with her son. She is basically talk singing these days and it's such a shame. I've never seen Patty in person but isn't she one of the ones who can still hit it? There should be a thread on those that "still got it."
    Patti LaBelle does more screaming and yelling than singing, IMO. I'm sure she could still hit the notes, and I doubt that she's ever smoked.

Smoking cuts off the notes at the high end of the register so the effects of smoking can put a halt to screaming also. It's enough that you can naturally loose your range but Mr. Puff of Smoke seals the deal.

She must still have her range then as screaming would be the first thing a singer would drop after loosing the notes in the higher register. I'm a fan of screamers like Brown, Womack and Pickett.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Smoking cuts off the notes at the high end of the register so the effects of smoking can put a halt to screaming also. It's enough that you can naturally loose your range but Mr. Puff of Smoke seals the deal.
    Did James Brown smoke?

If so, perhaps that's why he suddenly stopped screaming.

His screaming on "I'm A Greedy Man" is a wonder to behold. Fabulously exciting. Smokin', even!

Wind the clock forwards five years to "Get Up Offa That Thing" and all he can really do is shout.

Such a shame.