[REMOVE ADS]

Sugarhill Gang's Big Bank Hank dies at 57

As time moves on, we lose some really great people that added a lot of happiness to our lives:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...id=ansentreu11

The record that started it all...........................for the mass market that is:

So sad to hear this! I dont see too many people talking about it on the internet.

That's probably because most people don't know who "Big Bad Hank" was. All they knew was "Rapper's Delight". The Sugarhill Gang were never really national celebrities. They made a few good rap songs and then faded from the music world when The record label went away.

I meant to comment on this earlier. I liked The Sugarhill Gang and the pure fun element
    of their music. Of course most of know as marv hinted , that they were only the "first" as
    far as America mainstream was concerned but just the success of their big hit did indeed open
    the doors for a slew of others to grab a mic and spit. Not all of it was to my taste but nothing
    of that time, not even Schooly D's raunch offended me as much as some of what is out today.
    Anyway, RIP Hank....

There was a lot of bad blood between the group and the Robinson clan. The documentary 'I Want My Name Back' shows how Master Gee and Wonder Mike have been limited in their ability to perform their songs and as the Sugarhill Gang. They're not happy with Joe Robinson and his efforts to silence them. They also weren't happy with Big Bank Hank's decision to join Robinson to give legitimacy to his claim of being a member of the group. It's interesting to watch [[it's on NetFlix) but it's presented in a very one-sided point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    That's probably because most people don't know who "Big Bad Hank" was. All they knew was "Rapper's Delight". The Sugarhill Gang were never really national celebrities. They made a few good rap songs and then faded from the music world when The record label went away.
    "Big BANK Hank"

I have heard that this documentary is very good! I am going to get to Netflix and see it.

This is the rap stuff I like...good, fun stuff, not all this raping and killing crap. I love these guys and their more honored labelmates, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

RIP, Big Bank Hank, and thank you...

Best,

Mark