[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Nov 11, 9P-12M ET: ...a Special "Listener's Choice" show by SDF's

Howdy Folks! Tonight...a very special "Listener's Choice" show on "Nightflight", put together by John Reed...SDF's own Sacramento John. The theme..."Girl Groups: Dreamgirls Through The Decades" presents some of John's favorite girls and tracks from over the past 50 years. I'm excited to have John join the ranks of many SDF members who have created their own special shows for airing on "Nightflight". And John will join me during the show to talk about the tracks and girls that he has chosen to represent. Thank you, John!! Also...our friend Andy Skurow told me that there will be information about next week's special show and a new release from Universal/Motown! So do join John and John for all this...and more...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org Thanks! See you on the radio! John

Also...our friend Andy Skurow told me that there will be information about next week's special show and a new release from Universal/Motown!
    Oh glory day! Please let it be about A Go Go. Pweeeeeze, with kittens and sugar on top?

Thank you John for this opportunity, I am really excited!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh glory day! Please let it be about A Go Go. Pweeeeeze, with kittens and sugar on top?
    Well, Brent...that's VERY sweet! [[*smile)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    Thank you John for this opportunity, I am really excited!!
    John.....girls....Girls.....GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you got GIRLS for US!!!! I'm very excited too, to have you on the show!

thomas96 Guest
    Johnny, I gotta miss this one unfortunately...But I think Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life live may take precedence over your show!

I'm looking forward to your radio program being dedicated to the fabulous ladies who gave us the "Girl Group"sound. Here is a print that I made some years back as my dedication to this bevy of feminine grace. Looking at this print again after all those years, I seem to have captured The Marvellettes. Name:  P1190851.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  93.7 KB] Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I'm looking forward to your radio program being dedicated to the fabulous ladies who gave us the "Girl Group"sound. Here is a print that I made some years back as my dedication to this bevy of feminine grace. Looking at this print again after all those years, I seem to have captured The Marvellettes. Name:  P1190851.jpg
    Love the print, Mark!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Johnny, I gotta miss this one unfortunately...But I think Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life live may take precedence over your show!
    We'll miss you, Thomas! And I guess you'll miss the special news...oh well.....[[*grin)

Good Evening John & John,

Looking forward to tonights show all about girls. See you shortly for all the catfights, spotlights, and three, four or more girl group harmony!

i'm gonna wear Mary's ring for the festivities
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  87.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Good Evening John & John,

Looking forward to tonights show all about girls. See you shortly for all the catfights, spotlights, and three, four or more girl group harmony!

i'm gonna wear Mary's ring for the festivities
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  87.3 KB
    Hey there, Glen!!!! Mary let you take that ring? Wowwwwwwwww!!!

Mark - It's a sensational rendering! Really beautiful, wonderfully detailed, funny and sophisticated at the same time. But . . . but . . . but . . . it's THE SUPREMES! Looks inspired by the video clip filmed in 1965 at an in-door amusement place singing STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE with Diana in a suit with skirt and Flo and Mary in casual but highly fashionable pants outfits, eventually getting into electric bumper cars to race around a track--which I would imagine you hadn't even seen at the time! Maybe they saw your artwork and that inspired them! Whatever it was, your rendering is inspired and terrific. But it is, let's face it, The Supremes.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 11-11-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Methuselah2, you've made my day. THANK YOU!

Good Evening John,

I am here anxiously awaiting for the show to start. Looking forward to the All Girl Groups.
    Sacramento John, can't wait for the treasures you are about to bestow on us. Good Luck!!!

Thanks John!

Attachment 8649

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Hey there, Glen!!!! Mary let you take that ring? Wowwwwwwwww!!!
    Yep, for a pound and 99 pence at the Supremes dress exhibition in London in 2008. I wouldve opted for a Love Child sweatshirt but they only had size Diana available and I have Flo's build.... [[Smile)

p.s. Carl is here and says "of course I am! I'm a sustaining member after all" lol

"Lollipop" was covered in the United States by female vocal quartet The Chordettes in 1958 whose version reached #2 and #3 on the Billboard pop and R&B charts, respectively. The song became a worldwide hit. The Chordettes' version reached #6 in the UK

Good evening, John.

I should be asleep, dreaming, so I'm ready for "Girl Groups: Dreamgirls...".

supremester Guest
    What a wonderful show! I've been busy on Tuesdays for a while - nice to be back! TY Johnny!

Missed You!

Gregg & Michael

Soldier Boy hit Number 1 for 3 weeks in Spring of 1962
    My older brother brought this 45 rpm record home and I loved it
    Our Veterans' Day Salute!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Attachment 8649

Very Cute, Bruce!!!! Thank you!

supremester Guest
    John _ agree on the Andrews duet - Patty Maxine & LaVerene could not do the material well and made fun of it while DMF nailed the Andrews songs - so great to hear Flo anchoring the harmony!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    John _ agree on the Andrews duet - Patty Maxine & LaVerene could not do the material well and made fun of it while DMF nailed the Andrews songs - so great to hear Flo anchoring the harmony!!!!!!!
    Absolutely!!!

I'm so used to the familiar version of "Love Child" that I can't make up my mind as to whether I like the extra verse or not.

John, I love it!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm so used to the familiar version of "Love Child" that I can't make up my mind as to whether I like the extra verse or not.
    Martin...Martin...great to see you!!!!
    I love the added verse....song makes so much more sense...

John, I love it!! Thanks

John...so glad you enjoyed it!!!!

Martha & the Vandellas!

I've always loved "In And Out of My Life". George Gordy's work is very underrated.

A great evening of listening, John, and a shoutout to John Reed for his wonderful choices as well! And the anticipation of next week......

Loves Theme & Under The Influence of Love was the rage in the first Gay disco we had in Seattle in 1973-74 called "Shelly's Leg"

It's nice hearing "Everything Is Good Abut You", er sorry, "It May Be Winter Outside [[But In My Heart It's Spring)"

A Girls Group writing their own songs, not to mention a black girls group write/sing a country western song..and win a Grammy!!! Yes they can can!!!

"I went to the Dr today.." You think the poor guy would have dropped the phone right there!!!

LOVIN' THE SHOW!!! Great selections across the board IMHO!

Thanks!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    LOVIN' THE SHOW!!! Great selections across the board IMHO!

Thanks!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Yes, Howard....thanks....John put together a great selection/collection!!!!

"Streetsinging" Lady Flash was an American trio of singers whose members were Lorraine Mazzola, Monica Pege and Debra Byrd. They were the featured backup group for Barry Manilow from 1974-1979 and released one hit of their own, 1976's "Street Singin'". The tune, which was written and arranged by Manilow, reached #27 on the Billboard Hot 100 record chart. The song came from their album, Beauties In The Night which was also produced by Manilow.
    Originally called The Flashy Ladies, a reference to a song on Manilow's first album, the trio [[with Ramona Brooks, whom Pege replaced in 1976) sang backing vocals for Manilow in live performance and on his first 7 multiple platinum albums. Their first recorded appearance was in 1975 on Soundstage. They later appeared with Manilow on his Emmy-award winning first special and on numerous TV shows including Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, The Midnight Special and American Bandstand. They performed with Manilow on his first European tour in 1978 with concerts at the Olympia in Paris, The Palladium and Royal Albert Hall in London, and the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
    Since its inception, Debra Byrd has been, and is currently, the vocal coach for contestants on American Idol.
    Monica Pege sang with Barry Manilow again from 2004 - 2010 in Las Vegas at the Hilton and his coliseum shows.
    Lorraine Mazzola was previously a member, and for a time, lead singer of Reparata and the Delrons. Currently, she is a screenwriter.

A great evening of listening, John, and a shoutout to John Reed for his wonderful choices as well! And the anticipation of next week......
    Mark....thanks!! Yes.....next week....[[*deep Breath)

"Streetsinging" Lady Flash was an American trio of singers whose members were Lorraine Mazzola, Monica Pege and Debra Byrd. They were the featured backup group for Barry Manilow from 1974-1979 and released one hit of their own, 1976's "Street Singin'". The tune, which was written and arranged by Manilow, reached #27 on the Billboard Hot 100 record chart. The song came from their album, Beauties In The Night which was also produced by Manilow.
    Originally called The Flashy Ladies, a reference to a song on Manilow's first album, the trio [[with Ramona Brooks, whom Pege replaced in 1976) sang backing vocals for Manilow in live performance and on his first 7 multiple platinum albums. Their first recorded appearance was in 1975 on Soundstage. They later appeared with Manilow on his Emmy-award winning first special and on numerous TV shows including Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, The Midnight Special and American Bandstand. They performed with Manilow on his first European tour in 1978 with concerts at the Olympia in Paris, The Palladium and Royal Albert Hall in London, and the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
    Since its inception, Debra Byrd has been, and is currently, the vocal coach for contestants on American Idol.
    Monica Pege sang with Barry Manilow again from 2004 - 2010 in Las Vegas at the Hilton and his coliseum shows.
    Lorraine Mazzola was previously a member, and for a time, lead singer of Reparata and the Delrons. Currently, she is a screenwriter.
    Thanks for the info, John!!!

Ahhh love En Vogue's take on Giving Him Something He Can Feel. It takes a lot to improve an Aretha Franklin via Sparkle tune but they pull it off nicely....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Ahhh love En Vogue's take on Giving Him Something He Can Feel. It takes a lot to improve an Aretha Franklin via Sparkle tune but they pull it off nicely....
    Glen....so agree!!

Heartbeat by Gloria Jones back in the mid-60s! I remember owning that 45 rpm single! BTW - Anyone not having her only Motown produced album on CD, Share My Love, needs to get it and take a listen. One of my most favorite Motown re-issue CDs. Most of the songs are catchy and well-produced, and Gloria's singing is out of this world!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

The 1982 cast album includes highlights from the musical's score; many numbers were truncated or excised in order to fit onto one long-playing vinyl record. A 2006 special edition remastered version, issued to tie-in with both the musical's 25th anniversary and the DreamWorks/Paramount-produced Dreamgirls feature film adaptation, adds three previously unissued tracks from the original recording sessions. Also included is a bonus disc featuring instrumental mixes [[prepared for personal appearances by the cast) and a dance version of the musicals signature number, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going".

I still have the Gloria Jones album on Uptown that features "Heartbeat". It's a great album, but unfortunately the total playing time is only about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I still have the Gloria Jones album on Uptown that features "Heartbeat". It's a great album, but unfortunately the total playing time is only about 20 minutes.
    Yes, Martin....I remeber that the album was very sparse...music-wise...

Nytol.....thanks to all of you....and John....thanks for a terrific show! We WILL finish it when you get back! Bon Voyage!

Thank you John for the opportunity!

Thank you John for the opportunity!
    My pleasure, John....a great show....

John R. - Thoroughly enjoyed your show tonight, from beginning to end. It was right up my alley. Many thanks.