[REMOVE ADS]

Did anyone catch prince on snl last night

I haven't watched the show in years and just happened to turn it on last night to see that Chris Rock was hosting. Much to my surprise they announced that Prince would be the musical guest. He gave a great 8 minute medley of mostly new material. He had a slamming all female band. Though I wasn't familiar with the songs, I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. Name:  prince-performs-medley-saturday-night-live.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  11.6 KB

Yeah I saw it and enjoyed it as well though as you said, I wasn't familiar with the new music. Will I buy the new cd? Probably, simply because he is Prince.

He put out two new albums. The music is good, but forgettable. Too bad he's a Jehovah's Witness now. He'll never release anything cutting edge again.

Larry Graham has been a Jehovah's Witness since his days with GCS, so I don't think his religious persuasion has little to do with being cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Larry Graham has been a Jehovah's Witness since his days with GCS, so I don't think his religious persuasion has little to do with being cutting edge.
    But, in Prince's case, I think it does. Prince built a whole career being...well, cutting edge may not have been the right term for it. I'll say "edgy". I'm talking about sex, and mixing that with religious references. Offensive to some? Yes. but it was exciting. You may disagree.

I saw it and thought that it sounded clean, well-mixed, and well performed. Love his drummer and the bass sounded great [[I tend to focus on bottom - in more ways than one). I like the performance more than the songs, though. I'm sure he still puts on great shows, but he's well past the point of topical relevancy, IMO.

Also, Prince was never before averse to using technology in his music. Just before he left WB the first time, he was back to using live bands. That took away from some of the cutting edge he had with his music.

Sadly restrictions mean that we can't see this performance in the U.K. I googled to see if Prince's performance on SNL could be found elsewhere, and all I could find was this performance with Beyonce....

Nearly Mike,you nearly had me! For 2 seconds or as long it took for Be once to arrive!

Al Pacino is looking well tho'!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Sadly restrictions mean that we can't see this performance in the U.K. I googled to see if Prince's performance on SNL ....
    His performance got a lot of attention and was even mentioned on the morning news shows.

Try this link. It has a review and a video of the entire eight minute performance. Hope it works in UK

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...edley-20141102

I was stunned to hear him perform Alice Smith's "Another Love" only to later learn that his female backing trio recorded the song on its new CD.

milven, Rolling Stone site was the first I tried, but sadly, the site comes up with a message that no access outside of the U.S., but many thanks for your good intentions anyway..Mike

Prince is awesome! I DO miss him with Wendy and Lisa I thought he was at his best with them.

The decline in his music has very little if anything to do with with his personal religious beliefs. I'm sure he's capable of creating edgy music regardless of being a JW or not. And since it was Larry Graham who got him into that particular faith, he could possibly follow his lead, or his history.

I actually haven't been following Prince's career much for the last 10 years or more and
    haven't cared about SNL for maybe twice that time but I have to admit old boy is still very
    talented and has great taste. Liane las Havas is a fine choice for a singer to help raise his profile again and Alice Smith, who he would do good to duet with at some point is the truth...