[REMOVE ADS]

The Motor Town All-Stars [[????)

I saw this in our local newspaper. Novi Middle School hosted The Motor Town All-Stars featuring the music of the Temptations, The Miracles, The Four Tops, The Jackson Five, The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Martha & The Vandellas and The Capitals [[yes, Capitols, spelled wrong in the article.) Then this article states that The Motown Town All-Stars features former members of The Miracles, The Capitals and The Temptations: David Findley, Doug Gaddy, George Wilson and Charles Franklin. They later signed autographs and posed for pictures with fans. I can't find a link to the article in The Northville Record which had a picture included.

I have no idea who these people are! I checked my Billboard book and they are not listed as members in any of the groups. Obscure one month members, or what? Maybe someone with more Motown knowledge than I have can tell me who those four guys are. Thanks!

Oldies

LOL, it wasn't me. But I think the key is that it featured the MUSIC of the Tempts, Miracles, 4 Tops, J5, Supremes etc.

And those people probably had some vague connection like some of the people Mary Wilson employed as Supremes in the late 1970's ~ meaning next to no connection at all.

This is not correct.

"Rounding out the Motown Experience are Charles Franklin and Douglas Gaddy, who were members of the Temptations when the iconic Motown group was led by Ali Ollie Woodson in the 1980s and 1990s."

This is correct.

David Finley was a member of the Miracles from 1978 - 1983 and 1993 - 2011

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 10-31-2014 at 11:25 AM.

This post was brought to my attention by Al Abrams [[former Motown publicist). He suggested that I respond.

While I’m not sure that I have more Motown knowledge than you, at least on this subject I am somewhat better informed and would be happy to clear up any confusion you may have about the group.

Although Billboard is a great reference for recordings, chart positions, etc, it is obviously not the last word on the complete history of Motown or of the artists. Here is the makeup of the group:

David Finley – Left the Del Vikings to join The Miracles in the 70’s and performed with them continuously until their final show in Salt Lake City, UT on October 4, 2011. I know this for a fact because I was the musical director for this show. David shares their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was given a plaque in his name to prove it. Because he did not attend the unveiling in California it was hand delivered to him by the late Bobby Rogers.

George Wilson – Joined The Capitols in the late 70’s, left in the early 80’s, returned in the mid 80’s and was with them until they disbanded in 2005. Altogether, he was with the group for more than 20 years.

Charles Franklin and Douglas Gaddy – Performed with former Temptation Ali Woodson’s group.

My credentials are as follows –

Musical Director for The Contours for 15 years. [[1998 through 2012)

Served as Musical Director at various times for The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas, The Original Vandellas and The Velvelettes.

Performed with all of the above, and also with Ali Woodson, Richard Street, and numerous other Motown artists.

Shared the stage internationally with The Four Tops, The Spinners, Mary Wilson, Dennis Edwards Temptation Revue, and with numerous other Motown artists.

Currently manager and Musical Director for The Motortown All-Stars.

It should be noted that we do not purport to be The Temptations, The Miracles, or The Capitols. We simply [[and rightfully) bill ourselves as an assembled vocal group with members who performed with The Capitols, The Miracles, and former members of The Temptations. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try to present ourselves accurately, between the promoters that hire us and the media, many times the billing is not presented correctly or spelled properly. Having been in the entertainment business for many decades, I have been misquoted and/or mischaracterized many times myself over the years, at times even in this very forum. As a case in point, you mistakenly called us Motown Town All-Stars at one point in your post.

The bottom line is, this is a quality Motown show that was enjoyed by hundreds of people in Novi. We are doing everything we can to keep this music alive and to perform it as authentically as possible. You are obviously a fan of the genre, so I invite you to attend a performance the next time we are in town. I believe you will enjoy the show, and perhaps then you can post something positive about the group in your forum.

Sincerely,
    Glen Raby

Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    This post was brought to my attention by Al Abrams [[former Motown publicist). He suggested that I respond.

While I’m not sure that I have more Motown knowledge than you, at least on this subject I am somewhat better informed and would be happy to clear up any confusion you may have about the group.

Although Billboard is a great reference for recordings, chart positions, etc, it is obviously not the last word on the complete history of Motown or of the artists. Here is the makeup of the group:

David Finley – Left the Del Vikings to join The Miracles in the 70’s and performed with them continuously until their final show in Salt Lake City, UT on October 4, 2011. I know this for a fact because I was the musical director for this show. David shares their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and was given a plaque in his name to prove it. Because he did not attend the unveiling in California it was hand delivered to him by the late Bobby Rogers.

George Wilson – Joined The Capitols in the late 70’s, left in the early 80’s, returned in the mid 80’s and was with them until they disbanded in 2005. Altogether, he was with the group for more than 20 years.

Charles Franklin and Douglas Gaddy – Performed with former Temptation Ali Woodson’s group.

My credentials are as follows –

Musical Director for The Contours for 15 years. [[1998 through 2012)

Served as Musical Director at various times for The Miracles, Martha & The Vandellas, The Original Vandellas and The Velvelettes.

Performed with all of the above, and also with Ali Woodson, Richard Street, and numerous other Motown artists.

Shared the stage internationally with The Four Tops, The Spinners, Mary Wilson, Dennis Edwards Temptation Revue, and with numerous other Motown artists.

Currently manager and Musical Director for The Motortown All-Stars.

It should be noted that we do not purport to be The Temptations, The Miracles, or The Capitols. We simply [[and rightfully) bill ourselves as an assembled vocal group with members who performed with The Capitols, The Miracles, and former members of The Temptations. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we try to present ourselves accurately, between the promoters that hire us and the media, many times the billing is not presented correctly or spelled properly. Having been in the entertainment business for many decades, I have been misquoted and/or mischaracterized many times myself over the years, at times even in this very forum. As a case in point, you mistakenly called us Motown Town All-Stars at one point in your post.

The bottom line is, this is a quality Motown show that was enjoyed by hundreds of people in Novi. We are doing everything we can to keep this music alive and to perform it as authentically as possible. You are obviously a fan of the genre, so I invite you to attend a performance the next time we are in town. I believe you will enjoy the show, and perhaps then you can post something positive about the group in your forum.

Sincerely,
    Glen Raby
    thanks Glen for the information

edafan

Thanks to all who responded, especially you stalebagel! I'm so glad someone does know all these details. I was concerned that it was another case of a fake group and am happy to hear that it's not. Next time this show is in the Detroit area, please post about it here. I'd love to bring a group and see it. You caught my in-a-rush typo "Motown Town All-Stars" instead of Motor Town All-Stars. Sorry, I got it right in the thread title anyway! I know Billboard books are not the best source in the world for group member names, but it's what I had at hand, and that's why I posted my question here where the experts on Motown are in residence. Glen, it sounds like you took offense at my post, so I just wanted you to know it was not written to sound negative, but just to find out who these men are, and it sounds like you are definitely the expert! Thanks again! Please keep us informed about the schedule of your upcoming shows.

Oldies

They look like a great tribute group!

Not so sure; the Glen Raby post tends to indicate they "some" claim to the real "things".

Very informative Glen; thank you.